Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is pinball not a thing in Japan?

Nope, the machines mostly had to be imported and didn't earn nearly as much as arcade games, redemption games, pachinko, etc so there was never a huge market for them.

The pinball scene in Japan is mostly just a few different individuals leasing their machines for events or holding private meetups or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:
Hamaguchi keeps getting invited onto Nintendo's weekly puppet shows, purely to embarrass himself via Super Mario Odyssey gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrOQgkPjj9Q

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S NOT DIFFERENT AT ALL, IS IT STEVE? AHAHAHAHAHAHA

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

is that like morning wood?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Thought you'd like to know that the last time I went to my local used game shop, they were playing subbed GCCX on the TV.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Thought you'd like to know that the last time I went to my local used game shop, they were playing subbed GCCX on the TV.

This is a good idea to simplify things for the employees.

Customer: "wtf why are these games so expensive?!"

Employee: -points to TV-

Customer: "Oh."

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

univbee posted:

This is a good idea to simplify things for the employees.

Customer: "wtf why are these games so expensive?!"

Employee: -points to TV-

Customer: "Oh."

GCCX definitely has the lionshare of blame, if not singularly responsible. The fandom is out of control.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've fallen behind for a while, but I've been catching up, and I loved the Shikoku special. It's no Hakone Hot springs but it's close.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've fallen behind for a while, but I've been catching up, and I loved the Shikoku special. It's no Hakone Hot springs but it's close.

That just makes me jealous I'm not in a job where I get paid for touring hot springs resorts and playing arcade games in them.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's not all hot springs and video games. Sometimes it's assembling a table from driftwood on a deserted island in the middle of a storm.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I doubt you could pay me enough to work the kind of hours Arino does, even if it was enjoyable work for the most part.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm always impressed by how much Arino seems to work. There was one GCCX episode where they had to go to a 2nd day of the challenge because he had to leave to do a radio interview or show or something. At 2 AM. :psyduck:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Oh whoa I didn't know he went to Hakone, that's one of the places I went when I was in Japan

Which special was that?

Or are you saying the place he went itself isn't as good as going there

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nope, the machines mostly had to be imported and didn't earn nearly as much as arcade games, redemption games, pachinko, etc so there was never a huge market for them.

The pinball scene in Japan is mostly just a few different individuals leasing their machines for events or holding private meetups or whatever.

This is correct. Apparently, I learned that one of my developer friends is absolutely obsessed with pinball. He runs a site here :

http://pinball.co.jp/

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

It's not all hot springs and video games. Sometimes it's assembling a table from driftwood on a deserted island in the middle of a storm.

If he hadn't taken that table out, it coulda hurt someone, he's a hero!

Ojetor posted:

I'm always impressed by how much Arino seems to work. There was one GCCX episode where they had to go to a 2nd day of the challenge because he had to leave to do a radio interview or show or something. At 2 AM. :psyduck:

He recently tweeted at around 5AM on his way home from a radio interview.
It's a fickle industry, he's earning while he can.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 3, 2017

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Ojetor posted:

Japanese industry is a merciless cruel grinder that takes "Do or Die" to the extreme.

Those cooling pads are a necessity for some!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh whoa I didn't know he went to Hakone, that's one of the places I went when I was in Japan

Which special was that?

Or are you saying the place he went itself isn't as good as going there

It's a Season 1 episode, half is the hot springs tour and the other is him playing Famicom SMB2 (Lost Levels) and subsequently getting help from Kazuki Akita and his family. One of the best episodes of the show, and I think it's basically the first arcade trip? So it's where the whole segment that's so drat popular began.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

It's a Season 1 episode, half is the hot springs tour and the other is him playing Famicom SMB2 (Lost Levels) and subsequently getting help from Kazuki Akita and his family. One of the best episodes of the show, and I think it's basically the first arcade trip? So it's where the whole segment that's so drat popular began.

I think you're confusing when he went to Hakone to beat SMB3 and when he was challenging The Lost Levels earlier on.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't he go to Hakone in the hot springs special too? Now I gotta rewatch that episode.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Didn't he go to Hakone in the hot springs special too? Now I gotta rewatch that episode.

You know what, I was wrong. He goes to Hakone for The Lost Levels, and Itou in Shizuoka for SMB3.
That'll teach me to check first.

It won't.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 4, 2017

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

December 5th is Oosuka's birthday. He stole the clever comment I was going to make.

https://twitter.com/osukakaka

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So sexy, Kaga-kun!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Found this Super Mario Maker Live 5-minute Pre-show, what could it mean?!

Translated by kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/986328

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

univbee posted:

:iiam:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My body is (almost) ready

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
What a delightful lil amuse-bouche. I'm eagerly anticipating the upcoming entree'

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Jakespeare posted:

What a delightful lil amuse-bouche.

is this a new pet name for Arino?

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013

rdbbb posted:

is this a new pet name for Arino?

Perhaps.. He does look pretty tasty :P

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

univbee posted:

Translated by kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/986328

Was this encoded using a weird new codec or something? Trying to play it using MPCHC results in a black screen, but the audio seems to work okay... :(

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Are there reliable places to find subtitles by themselves? I found out they did an episode on Wurm and would love to watch it.

It's episode 224.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pentaro posted:

Was this encoded using a weird new codec or something? Trying to play it using MPCHC results in a black screen, but the audio seems to work okay... :(

I had the same problem, swapped to VLC and it played fine.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pentaro posted:

Huh. Not sure what happened here. I did the encode a little while ago, and don't remember specifically what I did, but do remember the resolution and framerate being weird. Sorry about that. At least it's a 5-minute thing so would be quick to fix, hopefully the 2-hour main course fares better. :ohdear:

Super Mario Maker Live Challenge Special

Translated by kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/986984

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, the end of work seems so far away now. Thanks for this

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Fantastic! Thanks, team.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Oh lovely! Ive been hoping to see this translated. Thanks for the fresh yummy subs :D

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
What was the difference between the new release and the 30th anniversary Mario Nico Nico challenge released a long while back?

Spoiler about live challenge:
Does anyone remember which episode Arino and one of the ADs drinking the Johnnie Walker that was mentioned in this live episode?

Edit: Never mind! The Johnny Walker appeared in episode 215.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 13, 2017

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

univbee posted:

Huh. Not sure what happened here. I did the encode a little while ago, and don't remember specifically what I did, but do remember the resolution and framerate being weird. Sorry about that. At least it's a 5-minute thing so would be quick to fix, hopefully the 2-hour main course fares better. :ohdear:

Super Mario Maker Live Challenge Special

Translated by kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/986984
This one works perfectly! Thank you so much!
Jeez, I remember when we livewatched this one.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Aw yeah! Just got a few wisdom teeth taken out today and this is exactly what I needed. Thank you kakaricho, RS, and hirayuki.

:lol: at the torrent comments on nyaa though. "Also reminder that the show’s proper English title is GameCenter CX and not Game Center CX. This nomenclature is canon." (despite the fact that neither GameCenter CX nor Game Center CX are listed in the description) :rolleyes: From now on, I'm calling the show Game Center C X. Isn't the proper English title Retro Game Master anyway, if you wanna get picky?

edit: And I just wanna say that I appreciate you four continuously releasing hardcoded subs. The soft subs of the past few non-SA-GCCX releases do not work well with Videostream for some reason. For example, the "Nancy" radio-in text of the Taito Chase HQ shows up at maybe 2 pt font size and the timing seems to be off in the sense that subtitles often overlap each other, making it hard or impossible to read. That said, I don't have the issues in VLC, so I generally have to re-watch the softsub videos in VLC.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloodplay it again posted:

Aw yeah! Just got a few wisdom teeth taken out today and this is exactly what I needed. Thank you kakaricho, RS, and hirayuki.

:lol: at the torrent comments on nyaa though. "Also reminder that the show’s proper English title is GameCenter CX and not Game Center CX. This nomenclature is canon." (despite the fact that neither GameCenter CX nor Game Center CX are listed in the description) :rolleyes: From now on, I'm calling the show Game Center C X. Isn't the proper English title Retro Game Master anyway, if you wanna get picky?

excuse you clearly they mean game center 110