Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

its curtains for Kevin posted:

You can do a lot with potions tbh

Tora can generate them like crazy as well, even when tanking, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
General spoilers but I'm on chapter 5 or 6 and speculating oh God I have a feeling that Nia is a flesh eater and something is going to happen when I go back to fight Jin since he's piloting something related to flesh eaters. Don't leave me Nia you're my favorite D:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, that character seems to be extremely lucky with rolling rares.

Not for me, 5th character can actually get rares from rare cores but I don't even use him because I tried and cannot play anyone not-Rex

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chaosfirev posted:

General spoilers but I'm on chapter 5 or 6 and speculating oh God I have a feeling that Nia is a flesh eater and something is going to happen when I go back to fight Jin since he's piloting something related to flesh eaters. Don't leave me Nia you're my favorite D:
fwiw you aren't losing/gaining any party members permanently once you've got all five, I won't say any more than that though

What I actually came to post: Vess has a level 2 affinity node thing that says "Swim a lot". I'm at 113/250 and have no idea how to make that number go up. I tried entering/leaving the water and swimming in circles for a while. What gives?

e: and fuckin' lmao at your other party members' reactions to poppi QTπ

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 12, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

geez this quest to boost my Merc rank to 3 is really demoralizing. I just spent 30 minutes taking out the Jugger guy, give me a goddamn reward already, don't throw 2 even stronger guys at me :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

U-DO Burger posted:

geez this quest to boost my Merc rank to 3 is really demoralizing. I just spent 30 minutes taking out the Jugger guy, give me a goddamn reward already, don't throw 2 even stronger guys at me :negative:

1: are you under leveled?
2: are your chips and aux cores up to date?
3: git gud son

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
So, Beastly Core Crystal's finally cooled off. Who should get it, Rex?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

1: are you under leveled?
2: are your chips and aux cores up to date?
3: git gud son

Yeah, they're at a higher level. I fought them for like 20 seconds before they killed my entire party. All I wanted was more SP, I can't handle this bait and switch where you start out fighting enemies in the 30s only to have to defeat enemies in the 40s if actually want the quest reward :qq:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Rainuwastaken posted:

If you can live with holding off on it's Focus and Superstrength it's better to hold onto it until you get the last party member

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Rainuwastaken posted:

Preferably character 5 but 4 is worth considering. I wouldnt recommend giving it to Rex or Nia but honestly it's not a huge deal if you're not crazy about min/maxing the end/postgame.

E:f;b

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I gave Wulfric to Nia and she does a pretty good job of beating poo poo with him and then comboing off of Tora

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Rex is a strong choice if he hasn’t gotten any other rare attackers. Otherwise, save it for 5.

[Late game blade mechanic spoiler] Rex can freely use any blade eventually, so it’s best to give him as few blades as possible. He always gets Pyra and Roc (plus a two-star wind healer with knuckles), so I like giving him Wulfric from the beastly core as his only other blade. This rounds out his set of attacker blades. Once you unlock Rex’s special ability to equip any blade, you can transfer Wulfric over to the fifth party member if you like.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've used 35 common cores and 1 rare on the fouth character and im getting nothing but healers. No rares at all.

They flash up as the first or second but you only get the third flash, which is always a healer. This gacha system kinda sucks.

edit: 15 more, all trash

Overbite fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 12, 2017

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This game is really disrespectful of my time, more than the other games...

I'm going to tell you something once, better pay attention! No I wont clarify anything for you

I have two rare blades and I've started chapter 3

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People who use the last party member, any idea really how to fit them into the party? Do you just make Rex a tank or a healer and swap out Nia/Tora/etc for them? Doesnt seem like theyd make a terribly great main healer or tank themselves.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People who use the last party member, any idea really how to fit them into the party? Do you just make Rex a tank or a healer and swap out Nia/Tora/etc for them? Doesnt seem like theyd make a terribly great main healer or tank themselves.

Rex makes a good healer once he gets a certain plot blade.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there some trick to the (chapter 5) Ashema core fight? My party is around level 44 and everything goes fine until I get the power cords to 50% and then it enrages and the main boss shoots out a giant shockwave that just decimates me and usually causes a death spiral due to the knock down. No clue how to really do this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there some trick to the (chapter 5) Ashema core fight? My party is around level 44 and everything goes fine until I get the power cords to 50% and then it enrages and the main boss shoots out a giant shockwave that just decimates me and usually causes a death spiral due to the knock down. No clue how to really do this.

Check what you are targeting.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
stack a single orb on it, and then use the big thing to farm up 3 bars for a chain attack. It's fragile enough to kill in one chain attack.

Rex fights for his friends

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

When I did that fight the thing I needed to destroy started doing damage back to me for every autoattack. At that part of the fight I switched targets and charged up a big special -> switch targets and dump big special -> repeat

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The game forces you to do a chain attack at the end to kill it off, it's on purpose.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If I give Vess to Four, will they get a healing art like Nia would?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bizarre deformity posted:

If I give Vess to Four, will they get a healing art like Nia would?

Yeah, 4 gets a direct healing art with Blitzball weapons.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zore posted:

Yeah, 4 gets a direct healing art with Blitzball weapons.

Heck yeah. End fight of Chapter 4 took me four tries even at lv 39 but it was worth it to get the Fourth character

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zoran posted:

Rex is a strong choice if he hasn’t gotten any other rare attackers. Otherwise, save it for 5.

[Late game blade mechanic spoiler] Rex can freely use any blade eventually, so it’s best to give him as few blades as possible. He always gets Pyra and Roc (plus a two-star wind healer with knuckles), so I like giving him Wulfric from the beastly core as his only other blade. This rounds out his set of attacker blades. Once you unlock Rex’s special ability to equip any blade, you can transfer Wulfric over to the fifth party member if you like.

Minor thing, but you'll still want to give him some non-rares, because there are skill checks before the point you mention and you can add up skills across characters and might need to throw a bunch of non-rares with, say, Forestry across your characters to meet some higher skill check.

I'm kind of curious what sort of different weapon skills characters get on blades outside their "intended" class.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if any rare blades are gated behind Idea levels or Idea levels are mostly for elemental stuff? I put almost all of my blades on rex, and he's close to idea level 10 on everything.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What the heck do idea levels even do?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

nerdz posted:

Does anyone know if any rare blades are gated behind Idea levels or Idea levels are mostly for elemental stuff? I put almost all of my blades on rex, and he's close to idea level 10 on everything.

Idea levels mainly seem to influence common blades, in my experience. Boosters seem to have gently caress all effect on what rares I get.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bizarre deformity posted:

What the heck do idea levels even do?

Idea levels influence the element of your gatcha Blade.

Bravery is Fire/Water
Truth is Wind/Ice
Compassion is Earth/Lightning
Justice is Light/Dark.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Praxis's sidequest doesn't start until you've bought the rumor about Core Crystal thieves from an informant, might be worth noting that

You also need to have at least ten Core Crystals in your inventory for the sidequest to appear behind the Inn in Torigoth. Otherwise why would they bother mugging you? :eng101:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Now that I beat Chapter 3 and finally can equip 3 blades, Tora's looking a bit left out with just Poppi. When does anything change there? Or, actually, will he ever be able to have multiple blades or is it just one customizable one forever? If so that's a bit lame since it eliminates blade switching in battle entirely which is a cool mechanic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a trick to Tiger Tiger that I'm missing? I really, really suck at this game, and I don't get much Ether out of it.

Also, is there any reason to be creative with the roles and classes each character plays, e.g. making Rex a healer, or Nia an attacker? They aren't very compelling otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

Now that I beat Chapter 3 and finally can equip 3 blades, Tora's looking a bit left out with just Poppi. When does anything change there? Or, actually, will he ever be able to have multiple blades or is it just one customizable one forever? If so that's a bit lame since it eliminates blade switching in battle entirely which is a cool mechanic.

Poppi gets two additional forms she swaps between, each with their own customizable slots like the original. You'll get the first additional form in the next chapter, the third's an end-game sidequest.

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a trick to Tiger Tiger that I'm missing? I really, really suck at this game, and I don't get much Ether out of it.

Are you actually pressing A to kill stuff, getting to the Big Chest at the bottom, and returning to the surface?

Also you can press Y to recycle unwanted parts for Ether.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I JUST GOT NIM WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS WEIRD FURRY poo poo

This game is mostly amazing but then there's poo poo like NIM

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you actually pressing A to kill stuff, getting to the Big Chest at the bottom, and returning to the surface?

Also you can press Y to recycle unwanted parts for Ether.

Yes - I guess I'm just lovely at it. And I heard about recycling unwanted parts, I gotta try that out real quick...

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Look up where the secret rooms in each stage are, that is where the big ether bonuses come from. Focus on not taking damage and collecting all treasure chests. Sell the parts that you aren't interested in for additional ether.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Also, is there any reason to be creative with the roles and classes each character plays, e.g. making Rex a healer, or Nia an attacker? They aren't very compelling otherwise.

Rex gets one of the best healing blades later on via the story, and he really only needs that one to keep the party up. Nia, likewise, will never need the healing that 3 healing blades will give her, so giving her an attacker blade lets her do some damage during healing downtime. Tank blades are also useful to switch to when you need more defense, as your attackers or healers may pick up aggro naturally during a fight.

There's very little reason to have all 9 of your Arts be in one role. Rex gets enough damage output just from Pyra/Mythra, switching to another blade is just a dps loss unless you're doing it specifically for a Driver/Blade Combo.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Rex gets one of the best healing blades later on via the story, and he really only needs that one to keep the party up. Nia, likewise, will never need the healing that 3 healing blades will give her, so giving her an attacker blade lets her do some damage during healing downtime. Tank blades are also useful to switch to when you need more defense, as your attackers or healers may pick up aggro naturally during a fight.

There's very little reason to have all 9 of your Arts be in one role. Rex gets enough damage output just from Pyra/Mythra, switching to another blade is just a dps loss unless you're doing it specifically for a Driver/Blade Combo.

I never found this to be true Sheba/Zenobia both outdamage the poo poo out of Pyra/Mythra their specials are good but their actual moves/damage are not that great.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

socialsecurity posted:

I never found this to be true Sheba/Zenobia both outdamage the poo poo out of Pyra/Mythra their specials are good but their actual moves/damage are not that great.
I haven't looked at Sheba's passives but I 100% believe that Zenobia outdamages Pyra in a long drawn-out fight against a higher-level named mob

(although obviously there's that one mechanic that changes things for some amount of time)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I haven't looked at Sheba's passives but I 100% believe that Zenobia outdamages Pyra in a long drawn-out fight against a higher-level named mob

(although obviously there's that one mechanic that changes things for some amount of time)

If you mean the endgame thing, You really want to stick to using Pyra/Mythra because that ability will just wreck all Elemental Orbs during a Chain Attack simultaneously. Go slow in your damage to setup up four or five Orbs, and then nuke the bastard down with a full Gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you mean the endgame thing, You really want to stick to using Pyra/Mythra because that ability will just wreck all Elemental Orbs during a Chain Attack simultaneously. Go slow in your damage to setup up four or five Orbs, and then nuke the bastard down with a full Gauge.
Yeah, I saw that that thing hit every orb when Py(th)ra attacked in a chain attack so I figured the endgame strat was probably make lots of orbs, ideally ones you can pop with one weakness plus one hit, and then go to TOWN.