Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I saw that that thing hit every orb when Py(th)ra attacked in a chain attack so I figured the endgame strat was probably make lots of orbs, ideally ones you can pop with one weakness plus one hit, and then go to TOWN.

It's what you should be doing anyway. So long as you can break an Orb per cycle, you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bizarre deformity posted:

I JUST GOT NIM WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS WEIRD FURRY poo poo

This game is mostly amazing but then there's poo poo like NIM

Of all the blades to freak out about Nim is a bit of an odd one.

Something about Finch's art style really sells "Furry" to me. It reminds me of those King Dedede plates Sears was selling a while back.

socialsecurity posted:

I never found this to be true Sheba/Zenobia both outdamage the poo poo out of Pyra/Mythra their specials are good but their actual moves/damage are not that great.

Yeah, I'm using Agate and Vale and they both outdamage Pyra/Mythra not counting her SSJ mode anyway, which is in a completely different league from any other blade in the game

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 13, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh, speaking of endgame, what are the best damage accessories? I've got Rex in the male-Swimsuit because all his attack blades are ladies but I'd like to stack another multiplier on there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, speaking of endgame, what are the best damage accessories? I've got Rex in the male-Swimsuit because all his attack blades are ladies but I'd like to stack another multiplier on there.

I've got that 50% chance of double-autoattack cube and a aggro-down accessory. It seems easy to get to the point where you're outpacing your tank's aggro so gearing for pure damage will probably get you killed. Or I could just be doing it wrong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, just wait until boob monster (if you happen to get her from the gacha). Her intro scene is completely ridiculous, with her Literally Watermelon Sized boobs just bouncing around. And to top things off, she has her own weird furry thing going on with (IIRC) her feet/lower legs.

edit: Here is her intro video, spoilered just in case someone considers a rare blade's appearance a spoiler:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwAodWZQio

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ytlaya posted:

Man, just wait until boob monster (if you happen to get her from the gacha). Her intro scene is completely ridiculous, with her Literally Watermelon Sized boobs just bouncing around. And to top things off, she has her own weird furry thing going on with (IIRC) her feet/lower legs.

edit: Here is her intro video, spoilered just in case someone considers a rare blade's appearance a spoiler:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwAodWZQio

:wtc: this game is so weird

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The world tree drop accessory gives a 10% damage boost every time you swap blades in combat (stacking up to 250% at max)

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I don't think anyone can top the bathtub princess. When she's sulks she goes fetal position in the tub, it's so cute.

Her sidequest she gets super pissed off enough to get out of her royal tub to soccer kick a nopon into orbit. I love this game.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Warning: heavy spoilers for both Xenoblade 2 and Xenogears

It might just be an effect of ramping up the anime but the more I think about it the more I notice how XB2 draws on Xenogears more than the other Xenoblade games.

While XB1 and XBX were light on flashbacks, pretty much everyone in XB2 gets one, including to a war 500 years ago that set everything up. (The Solaris/Shevat war takes place 500 years before the start of Xenogears, just like the Aegis war in XB2)

There have been multiple cycles of ancient technology being excavated, re-purposed, and re-lost, dating back to a non-native (xeno) progenator civilization, whose forklifts are now one-of-a-kind battlefield-dominating superweapons.

There's a character with multiple personalities (including a stronger merged personality), a mentor who witholds essential information for no good reason, a scarf-wearing artificial girl who grows up, and an impulsive but heroic exiled prince with an eyepatch.

There's an evil church controlling the flow of gears/blades to two misguided warring nations.

There's an immortal villain who wants to destroy the world after loosing the woman he loved in the war 500 years ago but turns good and sacrifices himself to save the heroes.

There's a preserved modern city at the bottom of the ocean, a race of humans zombified as a byproduct of scientific experimentation, nanomachine bullshit, and cannibalism.

There's even a line about how unsporting it is to end a fight by dropping a ship on someone.

It really covers up the twist that Rex isn't anyone special and that he and Addam are both just good hearted randos who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ytlaya posted:

Oh god, I only just realized her hair is actually the long ears of a Hare :stare:.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I don't think anyone can top the bathtub princess. When she's sulks she goes fetal position in the tub, it's so cute.

Her sidequest she gets super pissed off enough to get out of her royal tub to soccer kick a nopon into orbit. I love this game.

Sheba's sidequest chain is a lot of fun :allears:. It also nets you a set of five Merc Missions that only take 20 minutes each and give 200 points apiece. That are spent having tea parties :wotwot:.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do you add more element orbs to a chain, anyway? I only ever end up with the one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You know what this game should've done that would have made it even better
Make dynamic boss music ala Skies of Arcadia. When poo poo's going good, make the music have more delicious riffs and percussions and when poo poo's going south let us know aurally

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pollyanna posted:

How do you add more element orbs to a chain, anyway? I only ever end up with the one.

Combos. I saw a screenshot of someone with ALL elemental orbs and the damage chain was over 4 million

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pollyanna posted:

You don't add orbs during chain attack. You can only do that through elemental combos before you start the chain attack.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

Whatever element you do as the level 3 finisher to an elemental combo is added to the enemy. So do different elemental combos before you start the chain.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

The third element in a blade combo determines what color the orb is (and what is sealed), and you can have one of each color.

Here's a cheat sheet arranged by end color:
Fire -> Fire -> Fire
Fire -> Water -> Fire
Light -> Electric -> Fire

Light -> Light -> Water
Electric -> Electric -> Water
Water -> Water -> Water

Fire -> Water -> Ice
Wind -> Ice -> Ice
Electric -> Fire -> Ice

Water -> Earth -> Wind
Ice -> Water -> Wind
Electric -> Fire -> Wind
Earth -> Fire -> Wind

Ice -> Ice -> Earth
Wind -> Wind -> Earth
Earth -> Fire -> Earth
Dark -> Dark -> Earth

Wind -> Wind -> Electric
Earth -> Earth -> Electric
Dark -> Light -> Electric

Fire -> Fire -> Light
Light -> Light -> Light

Water -> Water -> Dark
Ice -> Ice -> Dark
Dark -> Dark -> Dark

Fire: Seal Self-Destruct
Water: Seal Stench
Ice: Seal Shackle Blade
Wind: Seal Blowdown
Electric: Seal Back Attack
Light: Seal Affinity Down
Dark: Seal Reinforcements

\/\/\/ It's worth noting that driver art cancelling is basically the "defensive offense" of Xenoblade and should be everyone's first goal. It lets you cancel driver arts into other arts, so
1. You get more action economy because you can go autoattack -> art -> art -> art instead of autoattack -> art -> wait -> autoattack -> art -> wait ...
2. You build more special because you can chain all three arts off the third autoattack, which grants the most special
Remember that you can also cancel into driver changing and into special arts. By combining this, you can go from requiring all three party members aligning to pull off a combo to being able to do it solo.

Microcline fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 13, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So basically, the flow is something like this:

Build up Driver Arts by auto-attacking
-> Build up Special Gauge by timing Driver Arts to final auto-attack in chain
-> Execute Blade Specials when Special Gauge is full
-> Build up Blade Combos with Blade Specials
-> Build up Element Orb chains and Chain Gauge by repeated Blade Combos
-> Execute Chain Gauge and break Element Orbs ASAP to maximize damage

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got some kick-rear end looking Dark Attacker puppet thing named Azami (after ~70 common cores). And fortunately she was bonded to an attacker.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ytlaya posted:

I just got some kick-rear end looking Dark Attacker puppet thing named Azami (after ~70 common cores). And fortunately she was bonded to an attacker.

She got bonded to Nia for me. :negative: You can only have one of the unique portrait ones, right? No repeats, even among all Drivers?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

She got bonded to Nia for me. :negative: You can only have one of the unique portrait ones, right? No repeats, even among all Drivers?

Well, you can release her and spam cores hoping she spawns again on someone she'd be useful on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I hope to god the first patch this game gets adds a chance to get overdrives from either killing high level named enemies or as rare salvage loot (currently have a pair of lvl 3 salvage blades and two more who only have salvage lvl 1 as their max, but still...). The methods to get them is absurd. I haven't even seen a 3 star common blade yet, let alone 4 star (though I'm only in the 40s).

I forget who Nim is but they aren't worse than Dahlia, surely.

brand engager posted:

The world tree drop accessory gives a 10% damage boost every time you swap blades in combat (stacking up to 250% at max)

:stare:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

people may consider the party members a spoiler as well

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Well, on the upside I looked at her affinity chart and it's not that good; she seems hyper-specialized for "do a poo poo ton of damage when at low health"; literally 3 of her affinity columns are the same "Increases damage dealt by 100% when HP is 30% or less" (the 100% is just the first row) with another being "The lower the HP of the Driver, the more powerful the Special." She also has a counter ability. Honestly, she seems sorta like a weird attacker that might be intended to be used on a tank or something? So it seems like she likely has the ability to do gently caress-off ridiculous damage, but only if you're at low health, which doesn't seem particularly worth it.

edit: On the upside, if you're particularly OCD apparently releasing rares allows you to re-acquire them (I've read at least a few accounts of people doing this successfully). So there's a reliable way to get everyone on the right characters if you really wanted to, though even if you wanted to do that it's probably best to wait until you have almost everything first (since hypothetically you could guarantee the class once down to only 1 or 2 remaining rare blades, and then guarantee which ever once you release after getting those).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 13, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Wulfric's Heart-to-Heart is amazing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IcePhoenix posted:

people may consider the party members a spoiler as well

They're really not, and the whole Four/Five thing is pretty much a blind cargo cult of Seven from the original where there was a drat good reason for it. Zeke is in the promotional art on the eShop, and your pool for other candidates consists of the number of non-Torna people who have unique Blades.

I'm all for spoiler-tagging stuff that affects story and plot development, but the game is not at all subtle about who will be in your party. If the game had a manual, they'd all be right there with paragraph descriptions about their personality.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, gently caress these boss fights in chapter 7.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I find it really hard to get level 3 specials out before the timer runs out. I can get level 2 specials out....most of the time...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I find it really hard to get level 3 specials out before the timer runs out. I can get level 2 specials out....most of the time...

Toppling them extends the duration. Rex's Anchor Shot turns into a Topple-inflicting Art during Chapter 3, and most other party members have a Break move.

Also Cancelling into your Drive Arts builds the Special Meter much faster. Wait until the third hit in your auto-attack combo to use an Art.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

I forget who Nim is but they aren't worse than Dahlia, surely.
Nim is the weird dog-nosed two-snake-heads titty monster, she's less egregious than Dahlia but she hits all the furry notes in weird ways and her loving intro is awful so it colored my opinion of her

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Holy poo poo the end fight of C4 took me way longer than I would’ve liked because I kept getting blown out by that goddamn explosion. I got it eventually after failing enough got me an affinity perk for the new party member that drastically increased their damage output while dodgetanking, but even that was pretty rough.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Nim is the weird dog-nosed two-snake-heads titty monster, she's less egregious than Dahlia but she hits all the furry notes in weird ways and her loving intro is awful so it colored my opinion of her

Why do people keep freaking out about nim, shes just a kinda weird looking blade.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Status effects to extend the timer and pouch items that add special charge each second help a lot.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

The Moon Monster posted:

Of all the blades to freak out about Nim is a bit of an odd one.

Something about Finch's art style really sells "Furry" to me. It reminds me of those King Dedede plates Sears was selling a while back.

Yeah, I'm using Agate and Vale and they both outdamage Pyra/Mythra not counting her SSJ mode anyway, which is in a completely different league from any other blade in the game

I love Finch for no other reason than he calls Dromarch, Bromarch. :allears:

And btw are you guys building Mythra for crit? Cause I have her around 60% or so and her blade art that refreshes drive arts on crits basically means that 10-15 seconds into a fight I'm already at 3-4 special with max affinity putting up the first combo orb already. Even ignoring the part in spoilers, she feels pretty busted since big chain attacks are what's important.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Toppling them extends the duration. Rex's Anchor Shot turns into a Topple-inflicting Art during Chapter 3, and most other party members have a Break move.

Also Cancelling into your Drive Arts builds the Special Meter much faster. Wait until the third hit in your auto-attack combo to use an Art.

I try to cancel almost every time, maybe 90% of the time, but I find it's pretty difficult to cast it on the third auto attack (because the interface is already so hectic I usually just listen for the audio (which is semi-difficult with everyone yelling stupid poo poo) cue that says your attack hit, or watch the screen shake (also semi-difficult because again, so much poo poo going on at once) that usually I end up casting it on the first auto attack because there's a noticable animation change between first and third.

I tried directly controlling Tora but he's so bouncy it's hard to keep track, and Rex I can never remember whether downward sword slash is his first attack or if side slash is the last.

I just started Chapter 3, more or less, and I have the bird tank on rex (along with some other various common blades) and Nia has the titty rabbit, idk their names. I've been hesitant about popping more cores until I get more party members.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Went salvaging in the chapter 9 area and a little crab dropped a lengendary core :stare:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Aiuufjjfhfhf I hate this stupid chapter 7?cave with the forever re-spawning shadow dudes. I know there’s some stupid gimmick but hell if I can figure it out. I had them down to two for a while but now it’s back to five.

I like this game but it has a LOT of really really dumb bullshit to waste your life. Were the previous games this egregious?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bass Bottles posted:

Aiuufjjfhfhf I hate this stupid chapter 7?cave with the forever re-spawning shadow dudes. I know there’s some stupid gimmick but hell if I can figure it out. I had them down to two for a while but now it’s back to five.

I like this game but it has a LOT of really really dumb bullshit to waste your life. Were the previous games this egregious?

They divide at 1/3rd health. Bop them all down to around that mark, then nuke them with a Chain Attack.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb question: What are the yellow bars under party members' panels in battle?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Dumb question: What are the yellow bars under party members' panels in battle?

EXP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
That seems impossible to do in a game with auto-attacks, non-controllable party members, and a goddamn broken “targeting” system. That doesn’t work at all