Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stock brake fluid is rarely the worry, the pad compound is, especially in a car that uses them to torque vector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

fknlo posted:

I'm going to run my fronts up front for two seasons, replace them, and put the new ones on the back. Mine are in roughly the same condition as yours after one season.

If I ever put them on again anyway. Mid-December in Colorado and it's still hitting 60 during the day with no snow in sight. I'd put them on if there was reason to go in the mountains, but the no snow thing is happening there too.

This is the right reasoning, I think. Burn through the fronts then get two fresh tires and bring the rears up front. I'm biased because I'm probably going to get rid of the thing this summer, so I'll be left with two good condition winter tires that will probably have gently caress all resale value on their own, in a size that I'm unlikely to use on anything else. Better to be safe than pinch pennies though.

We're just seeing weather worth swapping tires over in MN and the backup at any decent tire shop shows it. Lines were out the door at the Costco tire center; forget making an appointment unless you're thinking January.

BlackMK4 posted:

Depends on what you'd rather have, understeer or oversteer. Old tires on one end is night and day versus tires of the same age on both sides, to me, at least.

As much as I like to hoon around, I'm already occasionally surprised at the amount of oversteer in some cases. Probably smarter to keep the surprises to a minimum, especially when the weather actually gets bad.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

Check out the track day and racing thread in AI. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490129 But really what you want to do is look up your local NASA or SCCA region and see when they host events. Tons of other companies rent out tracks as well (Porsche and BMW clubs for example) and you can sign on with one of their events. You'll need a Snell rated helmet (SA2015), and it's usually suggested to replace your brake pads with track pads (check focus RS forums for recs, or grab some hawks or carbotechs) and get brake fluid (Motul RBF600, etc) in there that won't boil as easy. That's really all you should do for your first day, and make sure you get an instructor and listen. Be humble and soak up as much as you can.

Thanks! It's somewhere to start!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

powderific posted:

I'd always heard to put the best tires up front and would personally just rotate them. But I have zero empirical data to back this up.

I too would do this. I'd rather be able to brake and grip better in snow/ice (assuming it's a FWD car. E-yep, FIST).

SerCypher posted:

Thanks! It's somewhere to start!

NP. Have fun!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're burning through the fronts that fast I'd rotate them mid season and try to even out wear between front/rear and then replace them all at once.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, except it's widely recommended to put newer tires on the back by almost everyone. Way less likely to get unexpected oversteer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I might give the mid-season rotation a try. I usually rotate every time I switch summer/winter, putting the less worn tires on the front and by the end of the season they're the more worn tires.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

Yeah, except it's widely recommended to put newer tires on the back by almost everyone. Way less likely to get unexpected oversteer.

Looks like my zero data hearsay was wrong. I think I'd still personally rotate more often and try to replace em all at once.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I just rotate midseason and try to keep 'em all even- I've noticed minimal differences with a gauge between front and rear when the summer/winter set gets swapped or taken off for winter/summer. If one front/rear pair is bad enough that I'm worried about it I'll just replace the whole set anyways.

I only have like a 10-15 minute daily commute though so I might have less wear in general than most people.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Do the recaros take up more rear leg room than stock seats on a Fi/FoST? I found a newer blacked out FiST I think I’m falling in love with , but from the photos it looks like the rear legroom is a problem.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the FiST at least I'm pretty sure there's less rear legroom. I've carted around average sized adults in the back seat on trips less than 2 hrs, but if you're gonna be filling the thing to capacity always maybe reconsider. For me it's more of an occasional thing and I don't really care if my passengers are comfortable.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So after having my hot hatch dreams dashed by Hurricane Harvey, we've had an unexpected windfall and a GTI is now on the front burner, hopefully in the next two weeks.

I'm undecided between going used vs. new, although it looks like I might be able to get a 2017 at a decent price. Otherwise I'm looking at lower mileage 2015s or so. Any advice other than "go for a test drive?"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

Eh, I'm generally not cornering the car hard enough to lose the rear end or applying inputs as an on/off switch to gently caress up the weight transfer. Braking is more important to me when the weather gets lovely personally, so I'll stick with that.

Mine are brand new all around either way so :goonsay:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

a mysterious cloak posted:

So after having my hot hatch dreams dashed by Hurricane Harvey, we've had an unexpected windfall and a GTI is now on the front burner, hopefully in the next two weeks.

I'm undecided between going used vs. new, although it looks like I might be able to get a 2017 at a decent price. Otherwise I'm looking at lower mileage 2015s or so. Any advice other than "go for a test drive?"

Personally, I would just go on the 2017 if you can find a good deal. When you go for a test drive, make sure that sucker is in "sports" mode!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

almost none of the 2015's will have the performance package, if that matters to you. 17 sport will have it, along with no lovely sunroof.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

almost none of the 2015's will have the performance package, if that matters to you. 17 sport will have it, along with no lovely sunroof.

This. Though if you're looking for one with a performance pack, the best way to tell visually that I've found is seeing "GTI" on the front calipers. I went with a '17 Sport because they're pretty cheap for what you get (used was about the same price :wtc:) and it was the best trim for what I wanted. Cloth seats, no sunroof, the performance package, and a decent infotainment. The 16's are the first year to get Android Auto too, if that matters to you.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Agreeing; you'll want the front diff, it makes a big difference.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

This. Though if you're looking for one with a performance pack, the best way to tell visually that I've found is seeing "GTI" on the front calipers. I went with a '17 Sport because they're pretty cheap for what you get (used was about the same price :wtc:) and it was the best trim for what I wanted. Cloth seats, no sunroof, the performance package, and a decent infotainment. The 16's are the first year to get Android Auto too, if that matters to you.

another way to tell if it has PP is if the GTI logo will be red on front grill or rear hatch

if it's silver it doesnt have it

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A private party 2015 can probably be found in the low-mid teens, I sold my 2016 for 19.5k and I know others have gone below that.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

So they have officially declared my car totaled

I was doing the Ford 5yr/0 interest financing and as such still owe some on it.

If my quote comes back less than the price I owe (which I don’t anticipate, as I paid over when I could) am I just hosed? Being without a car and a new extra bill on a top of that (for a wreck I didn’t cause) is not what I need.

Finally getting a rental car tomorrow, so I’m excited to see what kind of piece of poo poo Aveo or Sonic they put me in

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yes you will have to pay off any difference between the owed amount and what they pay you for the car

at least with 0% interest you probably were making large payments to cut down the owed amount pretty fast

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Check to see if you have gap insurance. Your case is exactly what it's for.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Also, it’s important to remember that the insurance amount is potentially negotiable. Don’t cash the check, or sign anything if it’s less than the amount you owe on your car.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I’ve been reading up on it and as far as I see no comparable cars of similar year and mileage have sold locally (within 50 miles). This would mean they have to wider scope that gives me more leverage .

I’ve put together some sold and for sale ads of ones that are comparable so at least I have an idea of a price range.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Larrymer posted:

(used was about the same price :wtc:)

This is exactly what I'm encountering right now. The Sports are so cheap at the moment that the used sellers are just being idiots about pricing their cars. Yeah sure dude, I'm totally going to pay 4k less than retail for your car with 23,000 miles. Sounds good.

I think I'm just gonna get a new Sport next week, I have a quote for $23.7k (w/o TTL).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Call around a little bit, I think you can save yourself a grand or two.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Imo that's a pretty good price and I couldn't get remotely close to that in the Seattle area

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Taima posted:

This is exactly what I'm encountering right now. The Sports are so cheap at the moment that the used sellers are just being idiots about pricing their cars. Yeah sure dude, I'm totally going to pay 4k less than retail for your car with 23,000 miles. Sounds good.

I think I'm just gonna get a new Sport next week, I have a quote for $23.7k (w/o TTL).

What area are you in? If you are anywhere near Virginia I would highly recommend trying to buy it from one of the dealerships in the northern VA area.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Wonderllama posted:

Also, it’s important to remember that the insurance amount is potentially negotiable. Don’t cash the check, or sign anything if it’s less than the amount you owe on your car.

This is not necessarily very good advice. Don't sign anything until you're comfortable with it. Hell if you like you can p.m. me. Your loan is absolutely irrelevant to the insurance company, though.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Nooo i edited the wrong post.

I was saying i haggled a 2017 sport DSG for $22,950. I hope thats kind of near-best case because it took some doing.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 13, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, poo poo, didn't realize it was a DSG. Nice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr.Caligari posted:

Do the recaros take up more rear leg room than stock seats on a Fi/FoST? I found a newer blacked out FiST I think I’m falling in love with , but from the photos it looks like the rear legroom is a problem.

The recaros bulge out above where the passengers knees would be, they are very strange but as far as leg room goes, they are pretty much the same. The bulge does encroach on the passenger area above where the legs would be and it's not that comfortable.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Thanks for the GTI buying advice guys - did a quick search on autotrader and only found 1 Sport, and I think it was a couple of hundred miles away. I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I'd be good with the basic S trim. I'm basically an old fart getting a "dad car" for commuting and drives around the city with the wife and kid.

And maybe autocross for funsies.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Just got home from buying my 2017 GTI Sport DSG. $22,950 on the CA coast (not including TTL). Done and done. Good god that was stressful.

Taima fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 13, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GutBomb posted:

The recaros bulge out above where the passengers knees would be, they are very strange but as far as leg room goes, they are pretty much the same. The bulge does encroach on the passenger area above where the legs would be and it's not that comfortable.

The seats are just bulky in general. The FoST full leather Recaros have a decently designed cutout for knees but if you compare legroom with the standard seats to the Recaros there is a big difference.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thanks for the GTI buying advice guys - did a quick search on autotrader and only found 1 Sport, and I think it was a couple of hundred miles away. I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I'd be good with the basic S trim. I'm basically an old fart getting a "dad car" for commuting and drives around the city with the wife and kid.

And maybe autocross for funsies.

If you're going to autocross it you definitely do want the LSD

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

another way to tell if it has PP is if the GTI logo will be red on front grill or rear hatch

if it's silver it doesnt have it

Some people re-badge their non PP cars with red logo, so not 100%. I would check for the ventilated brakes on the PP cars vs. non ventilated. Those could be changed too but less likely than logos I guess?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Taima posted:

Just got home from buying my 2017 GTI Sport DSG. $22,950 on the CA coast (not including TTL). Done and done. Good god that was stressful.

Seems like a pretty good price, nice work. What color did you go with?

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
I'm thinking about getting new wheels for my Golf GTI, and I kind of want to go in an weird direction: some OZ Racing Anniversary 45s!

I know this will be a really polarizing choice, but I'm not completely insane to think they look kind of sweet, right? They have a retro-cool factor, I like the pedigree (even if it is mostly just marketing), and they're certainly unique. I also definitely think they're 'ugly', but in an interesting way that grows on you and makes you do a double-take.

Here are some mock-ups:

Please tell me I haven't completely lost my mind! :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I'm partial to the white sans center caps option.