Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A band industrial people seem to like but I don't: Perturbator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

A band industrial people seem to like but I don't: Perturbator.

I like his music to an extent, but his live show is incredibly boring. I was really disappointed and ended up spending his entire set at the bar.

Also a band in the same genre are better musically and amazing live (Carpenter Brut) and have thus spoiled me for other synthwave bands.

I do find it awesome that the spooky synthwave stuff gets billing at metal festivals now, that's pretty cool.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I do find it awesome that the spooky synthwave stuff gets billing at metal festivals now, that's pretty cool.

its because metalheads dont know poo poo about electronic music and they like tacky things

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

A human heart posted:

its because metalheads dont know poo poo about electronic music and they like tacky things

*joke about cybergoths and/or "terror ebm" fans in glowing respirators*

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Perturbator is fun and tacky, but his latest album is seriously good with a tinge of industrial feel.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Brut's live show is balls to the wall fun, Magic Sword was pretty good too

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The new Wulfband album is great! 12 songs but clocks in under 33 minutes, and one is barely a minute and a half long. Various bands in the industrial & related scene over the years have claimed to be some form of electronic punk, but it's most true of these guys.

It's absolutely mental, so basically get this if you like good things and shouty Swedish men.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jehde posted:

Perturbator is fun and tacky, but his latest album is seriously good with a tinge of industrial feel.

I was going to complain that Pertubator isn't industrial and then I listened to this album.

Then I remembered the industrial moniker is meaningless and has been for awhile.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The new Wulfband album is great!

Proper. Makes me want to listen to Nitzer Ebb and that's a high compliment.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Speaking of drums, apparently Mark Jackson has left VNV Nation. I'm interested to see what he does next (if anything) since as I understand it, he'd had little to no musical input in years and basically just been there to play live.

Given his history, I suspect he left VNV Nation in the same way Kevin Spacey left House of Cards.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twiin posted:

Given his history, I suspect he left VNV Nation in the same way Kevin Spacey left House of Cards.
I was wondering that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Speaking of VNV did we ever find out what the drama was that caused the cancelled Skinny Puppy tour?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

This is not a thing I knew about!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Speaking of VNV did we ever find out what the drama was that caused the cancelled Skinny Puppy tour?
I think DMyer said something on social media about clashing egos.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh hey I forgot to post about it here.

I've posted about my main project here before. Well, a couple of weeks back I changed its name (or, well, just made it longer) and released a new single / remix album thing with a whopping 10 remixes by all sorts of cool friends of mine, including some people here might even know!

It's out on Bandcamp and other online services too, here's the BC link: https://differenttrains.bandcamp.com/album/t-htitaivas

I'm currently working on my second full-length album which I hope to release in April. Also another single in February.

Edit: Right and if that's not your jam, maybe improvised ambient poo poo is! I just released some of that too https://kolmiotaajuus.bandcamp.com/album/tyhjyyden-maa

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Congratulations on the release! It’s always nice to see people here doing well. On a related topic, if you do some live dates after releasing your album, where would we find that schedule?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Congratulations on the release! It’s always nice to see people here doing well. On a related topic, if you do some live dates after releasing your album, where would we find that schedule?

Thanks!

Re: Live stuff: On my Facebook or my website, I suppose!

As it happens, I am indeed trying to put together something for the spring and summer. I want to do a short tour of the Nordic capitals in April (just a weekend) and that's starting to look pretty good at this point. Getting good vibes from Oslo and Stockholm. I also should start planning a two-week tour of sorts of Germany and the surrounding countries in the summer, but I haven't done anything about that yet. If you happen to have any ideas on small venues - places like bars, art cafés, that sort of thing - in your area that have live electronic music from time to time, do let me know ;)

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
in Amsterdam, good options to check out are Vondelbunker, Occii, Vrankrijk, OT301 and Volta (not entirely sure about Volta, at some point they had a rule to only take bands from Amsterdam).
Though in many of these cases I think the artists do not interact with the venue directly but with some promotor from the scene that uses that venue.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Saw Front 242 in Brussels tonight and they were ace.

Was amused to see a couple who had brought their pre-teen daughter along. I guess they introduce them to EBM early in Belgium maybe?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

extradite THIS! posted:

Oh hey I forgot to post about it here.

I've posted about my main project here before. Well, a couple of weeks back I changed its name (or, well, just made it longer) and released a new single / remix album thing with a whopping 10 remixes by all sorts of cool friends of mine, including some people here might even know!

It's out on Bandcamp and other online services too, here's the BC link: https://differenttrains.bandcamp.com/album/t-htitaivas

I'm currently working on my second full-length album which I hope to release in April. Also another single in February.

Edit: Right and if that's not your jam, maybe improvised ambient poo poo is! I just released some of that too https://kolmiotaajuus.bandcamp.com/album/tyhjyyden-maa
gently caress yeah

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Saw Front 242 in Brussels tonight and they were ace.

Was amused to see a couple who had brought their pre-teen daughter along. I guess they introduce them to EBM early in Belgium maybe?

My 3-year-old son is a huge Wulfband fan, he calls it "angry man music" but enjoys dancing to it

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Prop Wash posted:

My 3-year-old son is a huge Wulfband fan, he calls it "angry man music" but enjoys dancing to it

I mean,

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

Angry Man Music is now the only way I will refer to EBM.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Next year is looking pretty good concert-wise for me.

Just snagged tickets to fucken KRAFTWERK in February, thinking of going to see them in Tallinn a few days later too. Because why the hell not?

Then in March there's gonna be Carpenter Brut and Youth Code, of which I'm more excited for the latter to be quite honest. I'd gladly pay the full price just for YC so CB is just a neat bonus. We're also getting Solitary Experiments here in the same month, they're at least alright live and I guess I'll be going there too.

Then in April I'm going to see the last two shows of Project Pitchfork's Akkretion tour in Berlin and Hamburg on April 13 and 14. We Are Temporary are the support and I'm really glad that Pitchfork finally has a support act that isn't incredibly mediocre or doesn't suck major balls. It's been like five years since the last time they had someone genuinely good.

Then my mom decided we need to go to Gothic Meets Klassik in Leipzig in October because Joachim Witt and Diary of Dreams are headlining it and we bought the tickets too. So I guess I'm going to loving GOTHIC MEETS KLASSIK, WITH MY MOM. GMK is a very silly concept but those two are acts who I believe it could work pretty well with - unlike, say, Combichrist. In any case I'm stoked to see both acts play two entirely different shows on two days (first day is the "normal club show" and second day is the orchestra show) and I think there'll be some more bands too. Should be a good time!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 4, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Angry Man Music is now the only way I will refer to EBM.

"Death to False Angry Man Music"

I like it.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Speaking of angry man music, Ministry did that thing they said they would never do again after Scaccia's death: releasing more music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkywyKV-9U

I wonder if those people commenting "wow i will never listen to ministry ever again!!!!" actually listened to Ministry in the first place.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I think Al getting divorced AGAIN means he needs to make some fat alimony cash and thus Ministry lives on. But I stopped picking up records for the sake of having the complete discog after The Last Sucker. You said it was the last one, Al! Also all this butt metal poo poo loving sucks. :colbert:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

We live in dark times.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

extradite THIS! posted:

Then my mom decided we need to go to Gothic Meets Klassik in Leipzig in October because Joachim Witt and Diary of Dreams are headlining it and we bought the tickets too. So I guess I'm going to loving GOTHIC MEETS KLASSIK, WITH MY MOM.
haha that's awesome :3:

gary numan is playing here in a few days but i'm still up in the air about going.

early next year the only shows i've spotted on the horizon are clan of xymox and VAC.

Future Days posted:

Speaking of angry man music, Ministry did that thing they said they would never do again after Scaccia's death: releasing more music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkywyKV-9U

I wonder if those people commenting "wow i will never listen to ministry ever again!!!!" actually listened to Ministry in the first place.
lmao this owns even if it's cheesy

you know he played that during his most recent tour, and had those masked vigilante-looking people come out on stage and stand there as a a montage of richard spencer getting punched played on a screen behind him. really. and you know some alt-right guys paid money and saw that.

also yeah

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 12, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I missed Gary Numan this time around due to life poo poo while holding a ticket. By all accounts it was amazing. Better than ever. Please go if at all possible.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Looks like Spilles is broke again and needs another $200 of my money http://www.stormingthebase.com/project-pitchfork-akkretion-hardcover-2cd-book/

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Looks like Spilles is broke again and needs another $200 of my money http://www.stormingthebase.com/project-pitchfork-akkretion-hardcover-2cd-book/

Oh he wants more. This is the first album of a trilogy my friend

(Ordered my copy of the ridiculously big 28 x 28 cm ltd ed with the tour tickets. What can I say, I'm a turd :shobon:)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I didn't like the song or the video. It kinda sucks how videos basically fall into two categories these days, ridiculously overwrought spectacles if you're Beyonce or filmed on an iPhone with leftover halloween masks if you're not. It seems like no one has money to do anything in between.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

teethgrinder posted:

I missed Gary Numan this time around due to life poo poo while holding a ticket. By all accounts it was amazing. Better than ever. Please go if at all possible.
I did go and I second this. Gotta see it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

3TEETH back in the studio and already making my pants tight

https://www.facebook.com/3Teeth/videos/764278283696995/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TOOT BOOT posted:

I didn't like the song or the video. It kinda sucks how videos basically fall into two categories these days, ridiculously overwrought spectacles if you're Beyonce or filmed on an iPhone with leftover halloween masks if you're not. It seems like no one has money to do anything in between.
oh yeah on videos. case in point is project pitchfork

love that band but their videos are baaaad

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
live, though, and PP has triple-drummer action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgj5cKux-28&t=1325s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
in terms of music videos i'd say the more straightforward goth rockers have a better sense of how to do it on a budget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqn9fXzYWoo

also 3:56 and onwards in that song is fire

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Photex posted:

3TEETH back in the studio and already making my pants tight

https://www.facebook.com/3Teeth/videos/764278283696995/

That's some sweet old-school arpeggios going on.