Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

hcreight posted:

OK this Postal Service TV show has to be an elaborate troll by the show OH GOD I GOOGLED IT, THIS THING IS REAL AND IN SEASON 3.

It reminds me of a comic book where the superhero is some noticeably and somewhat severely disabled child, and he's got supernatural Differently Able Powers, and so his disabilities are so supernaturally super-charged that they become his greatest assets. We're talking some kid who is legally deaf and in a wheelchair who has deaf wheelchair powers, and they made a comic about him so that other little kids who are severely disabled can have a hero... except that those kids did have heroes already, like Superbat and Wonderflash and the X Fantastic and two different Captain Marvels. And because of a hard-to-believe case of the not-self-aware-sies, the comic comes off as worse than lame. It's unintentionally insulting to those who it's supposed to inspire.

"... and the actors look at me, and the rest of our inspectors here, just as star-struck...."

That could be true, if the inspectors were completely unimpressed by the actors. Which, let's face it, they really should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

hcreight posted:

OK this Postal Service TV show has to be an elaborate troll by the show OH GOD I GOOGLED IT, THIS THING IS REAL AND IN SEASON 3.

Seriously, I wasn't quite paying attention at the beginning and for half the segment I was convinced it was just a clip made by Oliver like Crime Scene Idiot and wondered what point he was trying to make with it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hcreight posted:

I used to watch NCIS and the clips of that show made it seem like they hired an intern from NCIS to run it, right down to the semi-serious chip on the shoulder "you guys solve crimes?" joke.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Carlos Bernard directed four episodes. :smithicide:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are a LOT of wealthy and powerful people who use the whole "I'm an idiot, I can't remember crucial elements of the crimes I did!" when the indictments or journalists come around. And despite knowing how common the tactic is, I keep slipping towards it, because it's such fun to believe, especially when you hate them so much. Really, the fact that there's so many seemingly stupid mistakes that they get caught on is more just damning evidence of how far gone and corrupt the whole system is, and how comfortable all this scum is in doing what they do. Essentially it's these businessmen walking into the bedroom of America and masturbating because they're pretty certain nobody will call them on it.

All the news people having fun with their lovely costumes on air is a symptom of the fact that journalism is dying I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Local TV news never really counted as journalism.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

All the news people having fun with their lovely costumes on air is a symptom of the fact that journalism is dying I guess.

Or that they're all human and happy for any excuse to dress up, act goofy and generally enliven a rote activity like work.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

No he's roght journalism is a joke and entertainment and it's not news

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Yeah, I don't buy that. Local TV news, at least in St. Louis, have decent enough investigative reporters who have uncovered some interesting things about local government corruption. None of it makes the national news because nobody more than a hundred miles away from here cares about towing scandals or illegal seizure of World Series tickets, but they do investigate, and they do report on it. The problem is that they have to show up on TV to report about it, and on TV, you're playing more than just the journalist game. There are appearances to consider, and time is suddenly a huge factor.

And, yes, a decent portion of a channel's newscast is going to be infotational fluff. It kind-of has to be. And you'll find this in every newspaper throughout history, too... it's just much easier to skip over if you're not interested. Don't want to read a column about lonely puppies? Then don't. Don't want to watch a news segment about the same things? Well, now you have to change the channel, and the other channels have news on and it's probably their infotational fluff segment as well, or a channel where 3/4ths of a show has already aired and you're jumping in toward the end... meh, hey look, puppy!

A hilarious side-effect is anchors and weatherfolk in costume. Oh, it's not funny on purpose. But it is funny. There is something quintessentially American about watching a report about a horrific shooting in which 10 children were slaughtered in front of their parents who were also slaughtered when that report is delivered by the serious voice of a 50-year-old anchorman who is dressed like a female elf.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Postal Service show really is something else, drat. Surprised they didn't mention the Foxconn factory, it was a pretty big deal recently and a could've made for a good case study.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

IRQ posted:

The importance of local news outlets was the subject of one of LWT's best segments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq2_wSsDwkQ

Local TV news was just allowed to devolve so long ago that we think that garbage is all we've ever had.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

God Hole posted:

The importance of local news outlets was the subject of one of LWT's best segments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq2_wSsDwkQ

Local TV news was just allowed to devolve so long ago that we think that garbage is all we've ever had.
"Local" papers in big cities are great.

Local TV stations are trash.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hahaha that ending.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't disagree with Oliver's overall take on Trump and Fox News' tactics.

If I had to nitpick though, public opinion of the mainstream press has eroded a lot in the past few decades, and Trump is capitalizing on their systemic problems that were always there and haven't corrected. (I guess I'm doing a whataboutism about the media...) Longtime Daily Show viewers know CNN was always terrible, and it sucks that Trump co-opted it as The Thing To Hate.

Like, the appeal of whataboutism goes beyond the waters being muddied. Whataboutism works because of how entrenched the culture war fault lines are. Facts don't hurt, but won't save us from Trumpism.

Maybe it's just because I'm 30, and I'm nostalgic for the old internet, but I still remember a time when trolling wasn't mostly associated with the nihilistic Right. Trolling is appealing because people want to think their ideological opponent as the evil establishment, and the opposition to Trump hasn't successfully branded the president with the failed status quo. Like, mainstream liberalism now has this weird "let's restore the former status quo" vibe that is off-putting. I don't expect John Oliver to pitch an alternative, because that's beyond the scope of him and his show.

I think an unpopular establishment press and social media dumping mud into the pond are part of How Things Are now. You can't ask for the culture war fault lines to go away, but you can try to draw it in the widest net possible, without giving an inch to the shitlords and the super rich. Just spitballing here.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 14, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I enjoyed the summary of all the bits he's done this season, but I'm disappointed that there wasn't a real in-depth story tonight other than Trump. I hope that those cowboy commercials catch some viewers' attention even if their intended target is probably too dense to get the hint.

Echo Chamber posted:

If I had to nitpick though, public opinion of the mainstream press has eroded a lot in the past few decades, and Trump is capitalizing on their systemic problems that were always there and haven't corrected. (I guess I'm doing a whataboutism about the media...) Longtime Daily Show viewers know CNN was always terrible, and it sucks that Trump co-opted it as The Thing To Hate.

Well Fox was a large part of that, although not the only reason. They've been running with their own line about distrusting the "mainstream media" for a while. One of the reasons CNN wound up in a bad place was because MSNBC took a bit of a hint from Fox to start shifting in its own direction politically, and CNN resolutely decided to stay "in the middle," a place that has started to exist less and less, especially as some people have flocked to complete lies to reinforce their radical political beliefs. It says a lot that the pissfuck decided to make the one that tried to the point of absurdism to stay "in the middle" his personal enemy instead of MSNBC.

You're not wrong that there's been a lust for a "return to normalcy" lately, and part of that is the fact that the last few steps of this journey we've been on have been so extreme and radical that it's easy to forget that we've been in on a downward slope for decades, and many things can be traced back to the 90s or 80s, if not earlier. The rising wage gap, the ever-decreasing taxes on the wealthy, the lowering standards for workers' rights, the unregulated financial industry that will inevitably kill us all with another crash, the increasing problems caused by the lack of government welfare in fields that run wild with capitalist privateering, the weakening minority rights and rise of bigoted groups that don't merely restrict themselves to threatening violence with goofy hoods on their heads, but actually get politically active. That's been happening for a while, but the severity of everything that's happened in the last two years alone make 2014 seem like some kind of halcyon days.

The other part of that is the fact that a lot of people trying to put together this anti-Trump strategy are paranoid that many of the people they want to rally support from are on the other side of the aisle, and they don't want to risk alienating people before they come back to power, so they're trying to stick close to the whole rightward-shift strategy that served the democrats so well during 2016. I guess many of them still wear the scars from the rise of the tea party, and don't want to ever risk that again at any cost.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The other part of that is the fact that a lot of people trying to put together this anti-Trump strategy are paranoid that many of the people they want to rally support from are on the other side of the aisle, and they don't want to risk alienating people before they come back to power, so they're trying to stick close to the whole rightward-shift strategy that served the democrats so well during 2016. I guess many of them still wear the scars from the rise of the tea party, and don't want to ever risk that again at any cost.

The saddest part of the American two party system is how it forces this kind of political strategizing, rather than people just campaigning on what they actually believe and letting the chips fall where they may.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I enjoyed the summary of all the bits he's done this season, but I'm disappointed that there wasn't a real in-depth story tonight other than Trump. I hope that those cowboy commercials catch some viewers' attention even if their intended target is probably too dense to get the hint.

Though, I think this episode did a good job of making the point that it's not just that he's dense. I mean, he is, but mostly it's a toxic mix of ego and cognitive dissonance that's the issue.

He's incompetent. But clearly he isn't *actually* because he's brilliant and smart and people love him...so, this must be fake news. It's not that he won't understand these ads, he'll contextualize them as sour grapes from spiteful political enemies. It's just the liberal media being mean to him. The medium will overpower the message.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What happened with the trial against that coal dude?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat did he cut the season short this early last year?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re always short, I wish they weren’t.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It might also have something to do with the Night of Too Many Stars event coming up. Oliver and Stewart are heavily involved in that, and I can't imagine it's an easy event to get done.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat did he cut the season short this early last year?

Yeah, last year ended the same weekend and had the same number of episodes.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It might also have something to do with the Night of Too Many Stars event coming up. Oliver and Stewart are heavily involved in that, and I can't imagine it's an easy event to get done.

Now try to imagine how hard it is when a healthy amount of your guests and presenters turn out to be facing sexual assault allegations during your preparations.

/edit:

After writing that sentence, I thought about it a little more, and as soul crushing as it is, I can't help but think that people are now sitting in the planning stage and either thinking about, or straight up vetting the pivotal participants of their huge media events these days.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 14, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/937872292129931265?s=17

#feminism

:unsmith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Based purely on photo selected I wonder which way the slant is

(Oliver comes off looking antagonistic, though Hoffman I think plays the “it’s not what happened” card which is universally wrong)

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Oliver comes off antagonistic but in the right way. He forces the conversation to acknowledge that Hoffman's apology (and most celebrity apologies) is bullshit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oliver really does love his job.

DJ_Rimshot
Feb 24, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think he means in the "Trust, support and love the troops, the police and the country. But I need my guns in case any one of them starts gunning for me."

Gold!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Wish we had the John Oliver show to collect for us some choice clips from the Alabama Senate election and commentate them. Is anyone else doing that? Other equally funny shows / podcasts with a similar style of finding and showing ridiculous clips?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Wish we had the John Oliver show to collect for us some choice clips from the Alabama Senate election and commentate them. Is anyone else doing that? Other equally funny shows / podcasts with a similar style of finding and showing ridiculous clips?

The Daily Show, Colbert, Full Frontal?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

IRQ posted:

Full Frontal?

They said "funny shows".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is comedy really such a boys club that nobody watches Samantha Bee, or is she just too dry for American audiences? I thought she was funny, but she’s slanting to this angry-alt left thing where she’s just raging 24/7 and I don’t understand if she has a style/angle or if she just got broken by our society.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm enjoying Nightly Show alum Robin Thede's show on BET.

It's kind of like Full Frontal, but so far there's not much left-punching. Also it's not white as heck.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bust Rodd posted:

Is comedy really such a boys club that nobody watches Samantha Bee, or is she just too dry for American audiences? I thought she was funny, but she’s slanting to this angry-alt left thing where she’s just raging 24/7 and I don’t understand if she has a style/angle or if she just got broken by our society.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/media/323385-samantha-bee-is-late-night-tvs-leading-hypocrite-on-racial-diversity

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

They said "funny shows".

Honestly everyone is telling the same Trump jokes every week so if you don't find them funny I guess you won't find Full Frontal funny, but I struggle to see how you'd find any late night political comedy show funny in that case.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Samantha Bee is phenomenal and the only good Daily Show spinoff besides this

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Filling out the rest of the TDS family, there's Jordan Klepper's show. It's.... okay? I watch it out of force of habit. I can't flat out recommend it, but it's not as bad as I was expecting. It's obviously a Colbert Report knockoff, but Jordan also has a solid team of correspondents who also do decent field pieces. It's also frustrating.

Jon Stewart was able give something that was a little bit more than just a milquetoast liberal perspective, which is what I'm looking for. But I feel like that little more is still largely missing from Bee, Noah, Klepper, and Late Show Colbert. Even though Colbert is still quite good.

I'll just say it. It's hard for me to watch these shows without the whole Bernie vs. Hillary schism hovering over my mind. Stewart was comfortable criticizing Democrats. But it's more difficult to do now in light of the the rift between liberals and the left, and I think a lot of television-oriented comedians naturally have a more anti-populist bent to them. Sam Bee seems to be the one most comfortable with posturing herself the standard bearer of metropolitan liberalism, which is why it's probably the hardest show of all of these for me to watch. It's the one show I dropped from the TDS family.

I know plenty on the Left (especially here on SA) dislike John Oliver because REASONS, but I appreciate how he consistently explains all the ways corporations have hosed us all.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 13, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know if I'd really put Jordan Klepper on the same level as the other Daily Show correspondents. He came in to the show a lot later, and I actually stopped watching the show a little while after, partially because most of the people I liked on the show were long gone. I never liked him and his tall hair or the bits he did.

What's interesting to remember about the daily show is that it wasn't originally intended to be political, even though it became such over time, and the transition was incredibly obvious in retrospect. It was more intended to just make fun of the news and showcase goofy news stories. These days, there's a lot of comedy shows that wade into the quagmire of the political sphere, but most of them seem to fall into the same trap as the news cycle by only following the same few big stories all at the same time so they're all making the same jokes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reflection of the times. If we actually had a functioning government that had civil discourse and compromise while not being naked corrupt shills for corporate interests, the subject matter on these shows would change.

You simply can't have a satire based show right now and not have it be political based since there's no divide in the news.

When you have POTUS offering his "thoughts" over Twitter about the most mundane happenings, it's impossible to avoid politics in pretty much every subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not sure if it was articulated in this thread or another, but someone said that it's because Stewart gradually made The Daily Show more politically-conscious from its humble beginnings as a Weekend Update knockoff that helped contribute to the goodwill he's enjoyed from the audience. A lot of his more disagreeable viewpoints were forgiven because of this. I thought Stewart was being sincere about how he understood his own program as a comedy show, not a news show, despite how some of his fans and frenemies hated how he supposedly wanted it both ways.

Noah and Bee inherited a satirical landscape that presumed its importance. The heirs' attempts at self-deprecation in their polished programs comes off as a bit more insincere. Perhaps this impression is unfair.

As for the news cycle, it's because Oliver still gets to buck the day-to-day Trump stuff, in his main stories at least, that makes his program a bit more refreshing. Obviously, he's still unambiguously preachy, but his frequent pivots away from only talking about Trump, and his apparent editorial freedom makes his show seem less cynically focus-grouped in the age of Trumpism and "the Resistance".

Klepper's chance to do his own show kind of fell on his lap. I don't mean this as a way to bash him. Comedy Central needed an 11:30 show, and was conscious of all the talent they lost from so many other TDS cast members leaving the network for greener pastures. His time at TDS seemed shorter than Colbert, Oliver, Bee, Wilmore, Williams; but I still see him as part of "the family". In many ways, I'm still a huge fan of Jon, and a lot of personal goodwill (perhaps over-deserved) I have for him rubs onto the people he hired or "saw something in".

• Locked thread