Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think there was a bit of confusion regarding if the ideas actually do anything besides affecting elements? Well, I was going through the informants out of curiosity and the one in Goldmouth has a bit that says "as a driver's ideas grow, so does their chance of awakening stronger blades"

So it definitely affects your chances of rolling high as well. Possibly only for stronger generic blades, but that's still not nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

holy poo poo I just fought the giant Brog in Gormott with my level 42 team and my chain attack broke four orbs and dealt over 1 million damage, that was so loving awesome, GOTY :gizz:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I'm still mad that one trophy quest made me give that lovely kid a golden tube just because I had one in my inventory instead of taking a silver one like he should

You can't give the kid a silver cylinder, period. Contrary to what the Perun quest guide video says, you can't just give the quest givers what they ask for, you specifically have to give them something better. I thought my game had bugged when I never got the prompt to give the other kid a Nopon Chess Set despite owning multiple, but no, the video was just wrong.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I can't not call that Padraig mook Padrig-faced Padrig and I wish he would be relevant to the story beyond the first two hours because every time I see him in town I want to talk to his rear end

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Doc V posted:

You can't give the kid a silver cylinder, period. Contrary to what the Perun quest guide video says, you can't just give the quest givers what they ask for, you specifically have to give them something better. I thought my game had bugged when I never got the prompt to give the other kid a Nopon Chess Set despite owning multiple, but no, the video was just wrong.

Does any other character have anything like the Perun unlock stuff? It seems by far the hardest and the fact that it's for the level 2 affinity stuff really hurts if you want to actually use her.

quote:

I think there was a bit of confusion regarding if the ideas actually do anything besides affecting elements? Well, I was going through the informants out of curiosity and the one in Goldmouth has a bit that says "as a driver's ideas grow, so does their chance of awakening stronger blades"
Thank you for this! It's been the case that if I have a high idea I've had a rare blade almost every time but I just wasn't sure if it was real or just a coincidence.
I wonder if it's better to have a decent mix - like 4 of each - or a single one super high? My Rex has a decent spread but Nia's Bravery is really high in comparison to his.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ending chat, maybe I need to rewatch things but kinda confused. So were Malos/Pyra always core crystals? Klaus story is that he got ripped in half across realities and one of the Aegis's got tossed in with his mean dude half which was Alvis.
To atone Klaus created core crystals and started that looping system. Fine sure, but uh, the three Aegis class crystals were around before he got ripped in half so how does that work? Also in 1 didn't Alvis say he was just a super computer?

I mean I can go with "they retconned a few details from the first game" but I'd like to think I'm just not piecing things together like I should.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Funny that they realized the Overdrive thing sucks so bad that they had to offer some in the DLC package.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Taear posted:

Does any other character have anything like the Perun unlock stuff? It seems by far the hardest and the fact that it's for the level 2 affinity stuff really hurts if you want to actually use her.
Ursula's tiers 3-5 are entirely tied to merc missions that you have to spam a1nd tier 2 is locked behind the quest that unlocks those merc missions. She's egregious.

(Zenobia's are tied behind single merc missions and every single one of her individual upgrades is unlocked by killing a named mob or, in one case, watching a Heart-to-Heart.)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ursula's tiers 3-5 are entirely tied to merc missions that you have to spam a1nd tier 2 is locked behind the quest that unlocks those merc missions. She's egregious.

(Zenobia's are tied behind single merc missions and every single one of her individual upgrades is unlocked by killing a named mob or, in one case, watching a Heart-to-Heart.)

Zenobia wouldn't be so bad if it was retroactive.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Just finished chapter 5 and man, killing bosses with party chains is great. Hitting for 3-400k damage and receiving over 15k Exp (basically a full level) for beating a single boss? Yes please.

socialsecurity posted:

Zenobia wouldn't be so bad if it was retroactive.

They aren't?

Looks like tonight I'm just going to say gently caress it and grab a FAQ to go find/kill everything I can for her since I've killed 3rd tier enemies without the 2nd tier unlocked so far.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

They aren't?
lol of course they loving aren't

(basically nothing is, unless it explicitly says "previous instances count towards total" or whatever - Sheba's "spend money/sell things" are retroactive and that's about all I know of that's both significant and retroactive)

(another bafflingly bad decision on the designers' parts.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just finished chapter 5 and man, killing bosses with party chains is great. Hitting for 3-400k damage and receiving over 15k Exp (basically a full level) for beating a single boss? Yes please.

They aren't?

Looks like tonight I'm just going to say gently caress it and grab a FAQ to go find/kill everything I can for her since I've killed 3rd tier enemies without the 2nd tier unlocked so far.

I found this on reddit while looking for more resources for the doc I was working on and it's very good.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EG0UpsgjhISr6_isiUpiWMU9qcXj6t8wWB0_LAiH1yE/edit#gid=970837341

Spoiler warning, obviously, though it's generally just locations and character names. One of the big spoilers is just titled as a spoiler as well.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lol of course they loving aren't

(basically nothing is, unless it explicitly says "previous instances count towards total" or whatever - Sheba's "spend money/sell things" are retroactive and that's about all I know of that's both significant and retroactive)

(another bafflingly bad decision on the designers' parts.)

I can kinda see their rationale on that though since her whole thing is she wants to fight strong things and wouldn't care if you'd already killed it in the past. At least you can respawn uniques at will rather then spending a bunch of time skipping past days until they can spawn again and in some case in in 1 and X constantly reloading the zone until you have the weather you want.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
In Tantal - Upper Level there's an island or something directly north of Theosoir, but I can't figure out how to get there. I tried getting there from the Lower Level too but can't figure it out. Is there some sort of trick or am I just an idiot?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending chat, maybe I need to rewatch things but kinda confused. So were Malos/Pyra always core crystals? Klaus story is that he got ripped in half across realities and one of the Aegis's got tossed in with his mean dude half which was Alvis.
To atone Klaus created core crystals and started that looping system. Fine sure, but uh, the three Aegis class crystals were around before he got ripped in half so how does that work? Also in 1 didn't Alvis say he was just a super computer?

I mean I can go with "they retconned a few details from the first game" but I'd like to think I'm just not piecing things together like I should.

They expanded the single supercomputer from XBC1 to being one of three: Logos (Malos), Pneuma (Mythra), and Ontos (almost definitely Alvis).

XBC2 Klaus created the Cloud Sea as a giant processing engine with the goal of disassembling the old world ruins and harvesting it to rebuild the world through a sped up evolutionary cycle that used the two remaining supercomputers to process all the collected data. Whenever a blade returned to it's core crystal, all its collected data would be uploaded to the supercomputers for processing and wiped from the original blade - which is where the "blades forget everything when they die" conceit came from.

As to why the two supercomputers took the form of core crystals, it's probably because that's how this Klaus set up his new world - similar to how Alvis took the form of a Monado.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
:siren: :siren: MAP FIXES AHOY!! :siren: :siren:

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/xenoblade-chronicles-2-version-1-1-1-update-detailed-launches-december-22

Also some notes on things that will unlock during a second playthrough.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ohtsam posted:

I can kinda see their rationale on that though since her whole thing is she wants to fight strong things and wouldn't care if you'd already killed it in the past. At least you can respawn uniques at will rather then spending a bunch of time skipping past days until they can spawn again and in some case in in 1 and X constantly reloading the zone until you have the weather you want.
Sure, but even if you kill something with Zenobia herself out it doesn't count if you haven't killed the weaker prerequisites and that's not nearly :black101: enough for her

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aerox posted:

:siren: :siren: MAP FIXES AHOY!! :siren: :siren:

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/xenoblade-chronicles-2-version-1-1-1-update-detailed-launches-december-22

Also some notes on things that will unlock during a second playthrough.

is there anything new from what was posted this morning or is this just that

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

IcePhoenix posted:

is there anything new from what was posted this morning or is this just that

Nothing new as far as I could tell

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taear posted:

Thank you for this! It's been the case that if I have a high idea I've had a rare blade almost every time but I just wasn't sure if it was real or just a coincidence.
I wonder if it's better to have a decent mix - like 4 of each - or a single one super high? My Rex has a decent spread but Nia's Bravery is really high in comparison to his.

I wonder if the way it works is it first "rolls" for blade element and then checks your corresponding idea level to determine rarity chances. For example, it randomly determines that you'll get an Earth blade and then checks the idea corresponding with Earth element to determine your chance of various rarities. That seems like a pretty reasonable/plausible way for things to work, given what we know about ideas and elements + this information. I guess it's also possible that it both determines oyur chance of a specific element and your chance of a higher rarity with that element, but the former way seems like it would make more sense.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

^burtle posted:

Funny that they realized the Overdrive thing sucks so bad that they had to offer some in the DLC package.

I don’t remember, but when you get the first Overdrive does it explicitly warn you that they’re rare/limited and to use it wisely?

because if not, it really should.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CORN NOG posted:

I don’t remember, but when you get the first Overdrive does it explicitly warn you that they’re rare/limited and to use it wisely?

because if not, it really should.
hell no you just get a random popup that a chest gave you a key item

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

In Tantal - Upper Level there's an island or something directly north of Theosoir, but I can't figure out how to get there. I tried getting there from the Lower Level too but can't figure it out. Is there some sort of trick or am I just an idiot?

Reposting like a fuckhead

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was doing a combo attack and I had 4 orbs on the enemy yet only two of my characters were able to use their skills and then it immediately ended before letting my 3rd character use theirs. I don't know what happened. I broke an orb and it didn't let me continue the combo. I also did not gently caress up the timings for anything. Anyone know what the heck could explain this?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Reposting like a fuckhead

There's a few of these, most are ice bridges, one of them is a giant slide looking thing that flings you across the map you want to climb the spire in the lower right covered in the yeti dudes it has the bridges to most of the other out of the way places.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So is there anyway to bolster trust gain rate? It feels like blades I got early on will be able to cap out thanks to quests giving chunks of trust and battling, but any rare core I get late in the game just won't be acquiring enough without me tediously slamming the pouch item button.

That, overdrive protocols, and merc missions not counting down while in sleep mode are my big complaints.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Barudak posted:

So is there anyway to bolster trust gain rate? It feels like blades I got early on will be able to cap out thanks to quests giving chunks of trust and battling, but any rare core I get late in the game just won't be acquiring enough without me tediously slamming the pouch item button.

That, overdrive protocols, and merc missions not counting down while in sleep mode are my big complaints.

I've been looking hard for this and no there isn't. It's especially insane for later characters who have blades with them their entire lives and never went past level 1 trust with them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I find it really hard to get level 3 specials out before the timer runs out. I can get level 2 specials out....most of the time...

I found the single biggest thing that helps with this is pouch items in the sweets category. They massively speed up the recharge rate of your driver arts, which lets you build up blade arts that much faster.

Also:
*Getting three blades on each driver
*Leveling up your driver arts (lowers cooldown)
*Mastering canceling. Always try to cancel off the last hit of your autottack chain, for Pyra that's the sword thrust
*Unlocking driver affinity trees which let you chain driver arts
*Accessories that make your autoattacks hit twice (level up your salvager rank for a good one)
*Driver combos (break>topple>launch>smash) extend the timer

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok I'm in Mor Ardain now and can buy gold cylinders, which I hear is the way to making mad bank. How's that work exactly? Just salvage and trade in your findings, and that'll more than cover the cost of the cylinders?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Ok I'm in Mor Ardain now and can buy gold cylinders, which I hear is the way to making mad bank. How's that work exactly? Just salvage and trade in your findings, and that'll more than cover the cost of the cylinders?

Yeah youll make a million G in like a half hour.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

I was doing a combo attack and I had 4 orbs on the enemy yet only two of my characters were able to use their skills and then it immediately ended before letting my 3rd character use theirs. I don't know what happened. I broke an orb and it didn't let me continue the combo. I also did not gently caress up the timings for anything. Anyone know what the heck could explain this?

i dont know but thats a bummer...exploding orbs is all i crave in this game

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Barudak posted:

Make sure you are giving pouch items that are not their favorites. Favorite items require you to listen to them talk each time, and give no bonus that I could discern. You should be getting 15 trust or so per item, so it can be pretty quick. It gets even faster if you get the shop deeds that let you hold 40 pouch items instead of 10 (or 33 instead of 3).

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Dirk the Average posted:

It gets even faster if you get the shop deeds that let you hold 40 pouch items instead of 10 (or 33 instead of 3).

Hold the gently caress up. Where are these?!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait you're supposed to just keep cramming pouch items in? I assumed letting them run their course would be best.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone managed to get a full burst without Rex's chapter 8 super protagonist power up? It seems like you have to break a bunch of orbs in a single round. Maybe if you used that augment chip that lets you one shot orbs... Anyway, breaking one orb the first round and three in the second is enough to trigger it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

Hold the gently caress up. Where are these?!

I got them after unlocking the last town and finishing the merc missions that unlock for more goods.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

chumbler posted:

Wait you're supposed to just keep cramming pouch items in? I assumed letting them run their course would be best.

Every 1-2 pip item is 15 trust each time you put one in the pouch. 3 pip items are 18 trust. It's not worth the extra cost for 3 more trust. Just get the cheapest items you can that aren't favorite items and slam them into the pouch one after another.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone managed to get a full burst without Rex's chapter 8 super protagonist power up? It seems like you have to break a bunch of orbs in a single round. Maybe if you used that augment chip that lets you one shot orbs... Anyway, breaking one orb the first round and three in the second is enough to trigger it.

Doesn't the full burst bar keep its progress within a battle? So if the battle was infinitely long you could pull them off no problem. All battles I've had so far have ended way before I've gotten close to filling it though. I'm expecting to only be able to do it when fighting some of the harder unique monsters.

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008
I zoned out and farmed millions of gold while listening to podcasts. What do I even spend gold on in this game besides pouch items and aux cores? Are there more things to spend gold on in the later chapters? Currently in chapter 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Doesn't the full burst bar keep its progress within a battle? So if the battle was infinitely long you could pull them off no problem. All battles I've had so far have ended way before I've gotten close to filling it though. I'm expecting to only be able to do it when fighting some of the harder unique monsters.

Could be! I don't think doing multiple chain attacks in one battle has ever even occurred to me. I pretty much always finish off the enemy with the first one. It's sort of a push your luck thing about how many orbs I can get onto an enemy (for a bigger exp bonus) before I either start the chain or one of us kills the other.

TheTromboner posted:

I zoned out and farmed millions of gold while listening to podcasts. What do I even spend gold on in this game besides pouch items and aux cores? Are there more things to spend gold on in the later chapters? Currently in chapter 4.

As far as I can tell, it's basically pouch items, that one blade that costs a bunch of money to level, and wellfare transactions to juice development levels.