Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Splatoon 2 Achievements:

- Splat an opponent with a Sprinkler.
- Wipe an entire opposing team with a single sub-weapon.
- Achieve SUPERFRESH! status for all Hero Replica weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wouldnt expect a bad game to have good cheevos

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I think they learned their lesson there

They delayed it, what, two years? People were Not Happy

To be fair the reason they delayed it was to retool a lot of the game, and the result was a game with legitimate GOAT status that kickstarted a massively successful console launch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Takoluka posted:

I can't think of a single achievement/trophy that wasn't tied to an in-game unlock that added to the experience.

e: My favorite achievements are the ones tied to online multiplayer, so you actually have to pay money to access the ability to get them. Maybe that's an added experience????

Doing a quick google search came up with a couple. One that stuck out is in Bioshock, if you take a pic of Sander Cohen after he is dead you get a cheev. That's pretty satisfying, I'd say.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Completely arbitrary, but I feel like the Switch's roadmap will probably be something like

Jan - Nothing mayor, but some minor releases
Feb - Bayos
March - Kirby
April - Mayor Bamco Title
May - Pikmin
June - Yoshi
July - nuthin much
August - Mayor Third Party Title
September - Fire Emblem
October - Super Mario Maker
November - Super Smash Bros. For Switch
December - Retro's Mystery Game

I feel like July could be maybe a Next Level Studios game, but otoh I can see Nintendo pushing them to keep at the 3DS for one more title.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I see no Metroid. Inaccurate prediction.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

For me that list is:

Feb - Bayos

December - I return home from the hospital having recovered from breaking all my fingers playing Bayos

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Takoluka posted:

I can't think of a single achievement/trophy that wasn't tied to an in-game unlock that added to the experience.

e: My favorite achievements are the ones tied to online multiplayer, so you actually have to pay money to access the ability to get them. Maybe that's an added experience????

Geometry Wars had really cool ones that required you to play the game modes in different ways, like "painting" the border of the arena by scraping your ship alongside it or scoring a certain number of points without ever firing a shot or whatever. They added weird alternate goals instead of just giving you cheevos for doing poo poo you'd already be doing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Who is Mayor Bamco?

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

deadly_pudding posted:

This confused me, too. It's the same developer and a nearly identical title logo, but apparently it's the newer/worse version of Pinball Arcade.

Yeah it's Pinball Arcade but with only Stern licensed tables unlike the Steam Pinball Arcade with Williams, Baileys and Gottlieb as well. Hopefully they'll eventually get the other companies on the Switch

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My problem with acheivements that game saves have been locked down and tied to user accounts lest anyone cheat to make their dumb number bigger. Its 2017, if i lose my 100% save in a game why can't I just download a replacement?

I miss also the days when you could unlock everything in a game on your own then just take the disc and memory card to your friends house and load up the save. Since the 360 it's generally easier to bring the whole console, even when your friend has one too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I mean on PS3/PS4 you can freely transfer save data. Don't know about Xbox

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah but they're generally tied to your account or something like that.

I'd love for everything to just be as simple as dragging and dropping like the PSP but we all know why nobody tries to copy the PSP.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Just lol if you hate achievements but still have all the stars on your mario saves

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Who is Mayor Bamco?

They meant “major,” and Bamco is Bandai Namco (Dark Souls, Tekken, Ace Combat, Soul Calibur, etc.).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Who is Mayor Bamco?

Kazuya Mishima 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When is Namco making these Switch announcements already?

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I want to get a second dock, so I can connect to my kitchen TV.

The Nintendo dock seems way overpriced (£80/$106), are there any generic USB-C dongle kits that work with Switch?

I'm aware of the Nyko one, but it's not available here and it's been reported that it can cause damage to the console.

I would make a physical wood dock and wall mount it if I could get the electronic part for a reasonable price.

TIA

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

When is Namco making these Switch announcements already?

A couple days, supposedly.

There's absolutely a Tales stream on the 15th/16th though and the only game that series has hinted on would be on the Switch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There's a Best Buy Insignia dock now. I don't know how it is, but it might be worth looking into?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bite the bullet and get the official one. None of the alternatives have proven to be better and most have been reported to ruin Switch consoles.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

My problem with acheivements that game saves have been locked down and tied to user accounts lest anyone cheat to make their dumb number bigger. Its 2017, if i lose my 100% save in a game why can't I just download a replacement?

Nintendo is the worst about this, though, and they don't even have an achievement system

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Completely arbitrary, but I feel like the Switch's roadmap will probably be something like

Feb - Bayos
March - Kirby
April - Mayor Bamco Title
May - Pikmin
June - Yoshi
July - nuthin much
August - Mayor Third Party Title
September - Fire Emblem
October - Super Mario Maker
November - Super Smash Bros. For Switch
December - Retro's Mystery Game

I feel like July could be maybe a Next Level Studios game, but otoh I can see Nintendo pushing them to keep at the 3DS for one more title.

I get that this is your list, but I feel like Smash by november is unrealistic, though I do hope it happens ASAP. I remember the insanely long lead up to Brawl, with the weekly or monthly updates to the official site, with characters being announced here and there.

Since I missed out on it, though, I'd be perfectly happy and set with Smash 4 being ported and that's it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/940989049614909440

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Smash 4's wait was just as bad imo. The 3DS version shipping months before the WiiU version helped me to cope somewhat.

Actually I think I still prefer playing smash on 3ds compared to WiiU now, the portability is just too good.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If it's just Smash deluxe, it wouldn't take as long to make. I'm still assuming it launches along with their online service. Something has to.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
In my dreams, Nintendo announces Smash Brothers 20th Anniversary Collection, all 4 games with 1080p widescreen and online support, like Capcom is doing for Street Fighter.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there have been so many surprises this year and for future releases that I feel I can't even predict what Nintendo has planned for 2018. poo poo like Xenoblade 2, Bayonetta trilogy, ARMS, even how good Kingdom Battle would be were all crazy, not to mention the variety and heft of 3rd party or legit great indie titles.

It would be easier to list things I'd actually be shocked to see, like XCOM2, Final Fantasy games above 6, Killer 7 remake, or F-Zero.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If they do smash it will be summer because thats when nintendo launches mp games

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

BREAKING: cats enjoy relaxing w/Switch, new feature discovered

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If it's just Smash deluxe, it wouldn't take as long to make. I'm still assuming it launches along with their online service. Something has to.

Yeah even though it's cheap, paying a subscription fee just for Splatoon & Mario Kart is tough to swallow

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

BigHandsVince posted:

I want to get a second dock, so I can connect to my kitchen TV.

The Nintendo dock seems way overpriced (£80/$106), are there any generic USB-C dongle kits that work with Switch?

I'm aware of the Nyko one, but it's not available here and it's been reported that it can cause damage to the console.

I would make a physical wood dock and wall mount it if I could get the electronic part for a reasonable price.

TIA

These have decent feedback on reddit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

goferchan posted:

Yeah even though it's cheap, paying a subscription fee just for Splatoon & Mario Kart is tough to swallow

Well, allegedly, the $20/year (which is crazy low, btw) covers the access to retro games, as we've previously dubbed 'NESflix', possible online components to them (which I think is neat), and then online multiplayer for whatever Switch game will have it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe cloud saves too, or discount programs, we'll find out in "2018"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

goferchan posted:

I'm worried there's going to be no one to play with in those games once the fee hits (I mean there'll always be people, but having a big diverse pool of players is nice)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This is definitely what I am thinking. They hid Sakurai in a basement sometime after the Switch reveal and just worked on porting the Wii U game to Switch, maybe reworking 3DS stages and possibly an additional 2-4 characters.

Smash is too big to be a summer title, imo. And they could even base their 2018 schedule around it, i.e. every Direct and conference becomes more important because there could be a Smash reveal.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Has there been any news on the Online Service? I'm not sure I can justify $15-20 just to occasionally play Splatoon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ice climbers back, Wolf back, Snake back, Pichu back, Pokemon trainer back, Simon Belmont approaches

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Fingers crossed for another captain toad game this year. Probably won't happen though, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Shredder posted:

These have decent feedback on reddit

I'm very tempted by this but extremely worried about a USB-C devices from a manufacturer I've never heard of. I travel a lot so a mini dock that can be used with my Switch and MacBook is a dream device.

• Locked thread