Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

at first glance I thought this said Kevin Mitnick and was like oh god another old school warlord has hit the building :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ZenMaster posted:

This is monumentally sad because now citizens can just say:

"Well, it WOULD have been the best space sim ever if greedy Crytek hadn't made a last minute cash grab and stolen the funds from Roberts, the genius, so he wasn't able to finish his game. It was on track to be the best game ever. Checkmate goonies."

:(

Yes it really might finally be time to start drafting their “At least they tried” eulogies. If any of you lurkers need a primer, or just want to Archer one outright, Nedan’s Ion Storm piece may be long in the tooth but has stood the test of time:

Nedan posted:

First off, I like to see a show of hands right now... which one of you has experience in running a Game Development Company?!?! Well... anybody?!?! Just like I thought . Alot of you guys are sure ones to talk & dis a company when you know jack about running one yourselves.

You can read all the friggin' info you want on running a company. But when it comes to actually doing it... it's a whole different friggin' story entirely.

Yes... John Romero made some mistakes. Why? He was new to running a business. He never ran one himself before. He also didn't like the idea of stealing talent. He tried his best not to steal talent. So he had problem of finding new talent instead... which is not easy to begin with.

His only mistake wasn't being an egomaniac, it wasn't over spending & it certainly wasn't advertising the game too early. It was just inexperience. He had none when it came to running a company. I can certainly have sympathy & show forgiveness for that."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's time for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0 is what it is.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Who made this?
:lol:
I love you.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

G0RF posted:

Yes it really might finally be time to start drafting their “At least they tried” eulogies. If any of you lurkers need a primer, or just want to Archer one outright, Nedan’s Ion Storm piece may be long in the tooth but has stood the test of time:

[url=http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22712&s=8ccc585c61bc98776bc75e1a6c32df15&p=288637&viewfull=1#post288637]

I can't wait for the claims that CR both invented space games and is too inexperienced to avoid failure

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
What a great time to check back into the thread!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Looks like someone else is going to get sued for tweeting a copy of those documents for free on the internet...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dusty Lens posted:

I guess instead of war bonds CIG can start selling bail bonds.

STOP BEING SO drat FUNNY GUYS OR I WILL NEVER GET CAUGHT UP!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
If they get the injunction to stop work on the game whilst this goes through the court this is all going to be over very quickly as regards the actual game.

Also - moma is full of poo poo, they could have settled this before it got this far, the ONLY reason they haven't is because they couldn't, as in couldn't afford it.

So instead of settling and avoiding the risk of an injunction they've ended up with the threat of injunction hanging over the project, and the worst possible PR you can have whilst you post job vacancies on an almost daily basis.

Derek was right about the money.

Even IF they knock down each and every claim in court they'll be doing so in an environment of not being able to hire at best and not being allowed to continue development at worst.

TL;DR
Derek Smart was right.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I thought about making fun of this argument.

If you have any rationality left using this image to somehow try and refute dozens of breaches of a formal legal contract should make you want to sell your space ships. This is like showing up to court with a screenshot of a Toyota advertisement claiming that you don't have to actually pay them the money in your loan agreement because you aren't going places and their slogan is "Let's Go Places"

This is the point in the movie where you look in the mirror and see what rock bottom looks like and gain new resolve to become better. You are better than this.

Checkmate.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Daztek posted:

I also always knew MoMA is in fact Toast

hosed up if true

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Someone make an effortpost for the OP. Things are about to heat up.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

If any asset has a single trace of CryEngine or CryTek technology, or was built or modified using those technologies, those go as well. CIG would be looking at starting from complete scratch, Lumberyard or no.

They'd still have all the concept art, so that's like 60% of everything safe.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

nnnotime posted:

If there is no settlement, is there any chance Dr. Derek Smart will be called upon as an expert witness in this Crytek trial by the plaintiffs?

Do we dare dream?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Hav posted:

Edit: One small 'Ortwin has something to do' wrinkle; he's named in the complaint.

He's named in the complaint for very naughty things, too. If there's ever a finding of fact over those (and I emphasise right now they are merely pleadings in a lawsuit), he might be facing a professional conduct investigation from his Bar.

One more possible reason for a sealed settlement.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazypoops posted:

Do we dare dream?

Amicus curiae would leave me in stitches for weeks. Unlikely, though.

Loxbourne posted:

He's named in the complaint for very naughty things, too. If there's ever a finding of fact over those (and I emphasise right now they are merely pleadings in a lawsuit), he might be facing a professional conduct investigation from his Bar.

One more possible reason for a sealed settlement.

I checked that he's still active on the California bar; http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/135334

The more I think about it; he's co-chairman of CiG. They are going after him and Bobbers.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 13, 2017

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
So you're saying I won't be seeing a trailer for SQ42 in the theater on Friday?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

SomethingJones posted:

If they get the injunction to stop work on the game whilst this goes through the court this is all going to be over very quickly as regards the actual game.

Also - moma is full of poo poo, they could have settled this before it got this far, the ONLY reason they haven't is because they couldn't, as in couldn't afford it.

So instead of settling and avoiding the risk of an injunction they've ended up with the threat of injunction hanging over the project, and the worst possible PR you can have whilst you post job vacancies on an almost daily basis.

Derek was right about the money.

Even IF they knock down each and every claim in court they'll be doing so in an environment of not being able to hire at best and not being allowed to continue development at worst.

TL;DR
Derek Smart was right.

Lol, bingo. A good day.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

thatguy posted:

Someone make an effortpost for the OP. Things are about to heat up.

Ok, here goes:

"It is time to rub"

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

This means another Christmas with no santaball, doesn't it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

biglads posted:

This means another Christmas with no santaball, doesn't it?

Yes, but it means we get two Christmases in row — this early one and then the real one, and maybe even a few more after that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

What got called? I'm a million pages behind

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bayonnefrog posted:

It's bad publicity for CIG sure. But I'm going to do a "wait and see" approach to this. Filling a suit is one thing. Anyone can do that. What the courts do with it is another. It says he is filling for breach of contract and copyright infringement. That may very well be true I'm not a lawyer and will let the experts handle all of that. On the breach of contract side I will say it looks like they are trying to argue that Crytec agreement with CIG was for ONLY ONE game. What they consider to be "Star Citizen" but then CIG went and used their engine (against the agreement) for other games (SQ42, etc etc). CIG is going to argue that they're all the same game and that they were fine to use it for all of that. I think they might have an argument there. But we'll see. Will be fascinating to see how it plays how. The court might toss it out at the start but with a big legal team behind this they will probably get it to a hearing somewhere down the road.

You know, Derek was slinging those rumors around earlier this year that CIG was going to roll SQ42 back up into Star Citizen and just present it as a series of missions in the multiplayer game. Wonder if this is why.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Crytek is suing CIG for everything.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

guess it means sandi's going back to clips4sale

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

Crytek, lots of contract breach, want all the marbles.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

22 Goons were right and more importantly, called it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hav posted:

https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

Crytek, lots of contract breach, want all the marbles.

This is good for Star Citizen, because it just shows how much envy there is for those who create record breaking games!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Not a bad thing. That's where she shines.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Hav posted:

Amicus curiae would leave me in stitches for weeks. Unlikely, though.

I checked that he's still active on the California bar; http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/135334

The more I think about it; he's co-chairman of CiG. They are going after him and Bobbers.

They named good ol' Ortwin in the complaint for one reason--disqualification.

I guarantee that if Ortwin tries to represent Croberts & Co. in court that Skadden will immediately move to disqualify Ortwin for conflict of interest/ethical concerns. Thus, CIG will be forced to hire another lawyer for real $$$$ instead of relying on Ortwin. Makes the defense more expensive for our beloved game company.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Kilmers Elbow posted:

:drat:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

:eyepop:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

10 for the defendant

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MinorInconvenience posted:

They named good ol' Ortwin in the complaint for one reason--disqualification.

I guarantee that if Ortwin tries to represent Croberts & Co. in court that Skadden will immediately move to disqualify Ortwin for conflict of interest/ethical concerns. Thus, CIG will be forced to hire another lawyer for real $$$$ instead of relying on Ortwin. Makes the defense more expensive for our beloved game company.

Yeah, this. I thought it was to force recusal, but that sounds more likely.

We've been kinda waiting for one of these since all the fun between Red Hat and SCO Unix originally caused a huge loving bruhaha about code being lifted from one place and put into another. The very short tl;dr for all of that was a tiny Unix outfit that boasted a pedigree back to system V threw out a lawsuit alleging that all works of Linux were infringing on the system V code.

It started with Red Hat, but Novell and IBM came out swinging, and countersued for things they claimed had never been licensed from them that were in SCO. Literally a decade later, and 8 years after the project to _entirely_ clean the Linux and derivative codebases, they didn't find _any_ infringing code from the original complaint.

Ultimately it boiled down to a couple of things that are dangerous in software licensing; use without attribution, and taking out the license. There's not been a lot of that around gaming code yet, mostly it's about assets, art and passing off, but it represents an interesting avenue for the intersection of legal and keyboard mashing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 13, 2017

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:lol:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

G0RF posted:

[url=http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22712&s=8ccc585c61bc98776bc75e1a6c32df15&p=288637&viewfull=1#post288637]

Also the "I feel sorry for all the haters" posts

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Pretty sure dogfart is hiring if realtickling isn't looking for milfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

this is a far cry from an ele