Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Most celebrity chefs are either deformed or morbidly obese so if a woman wants to go that route I imagine Bobby Flay looks like 90's Brad Pitt compared to the rest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Most celebrity chefs are either deformed or morbidly obese so if a woman wants to go that route I imagine Bobby Flay looks like 90's Brad Pitt compared to the rest.

Anthony Bourdain is slowly turning into David Lynch.

Edit: And for all the drinking and drugging he did, Bourdain doesn't look half-bad for 60-something.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

Edit: And for all the drinking and drugging he did, Bourdain doesn't look half-bad for 60-something.

Looks more like he could play Ron Perlman's brother in a movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks more like he could play Ron Perlman's brother in a movie.

He what Mickey Rourke would've looked like without the hard living, boxing, face lifts, etc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Good to know Bourdain has gone from just being straight-up sexy as gently caress to being a silver fox

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Bourdain has also not worked in a kitchen for the last 20 years.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

GonSmithe posted:

Bourdain has also not worked in a kitchen for the last 20 years.

And he does BJJ! So basically, if you want to age gracefully, work out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And he does BJJ! So basically, if you want to age gracefully, work out.

also apparently pickle your liver in drugs and booze while you're young rather than continuing that to old age.

See: Richards, Keith

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

He what Mickey Rourke would've looked like without the hard living, boxing, face lifts, etc

Bourdain did his fair share of hard living. But, as GonSmithe rightfully pointed out, he got out of working in kitchens and became a writer / TV host, quit everything except booze a while back, and I believe he's currently dating Asia Argento after his most recent divorce.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh no wonder he's going in on the sex pest stuff, Asia clearly radicalized him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Timby posted:

Bourdain did his fair share of hard living. But, as GonSmithe rightfully pointed out, he got out of working in kitchens and became a writer / TV host, quit everything except booze a while back, and I believe he's currently dating Asia Argento after his most recent divorce.

Replace 'after' with 'causing' and you have the right of it.

I really think Bourdain is getting unfairly lionized on this. Batali being a creep wasn't even an open secret, it was a reported on and exposed fact. Between Heat and multiple stolen wage lawsuits against the guy, over the course of 10+ years he had stolen over $5million in tips and wages from his servers, there was no way Bourdain wasn't turning a blind eye. And then, when he pointed out that no one should be surprised by this Tom Collichio gets blasted to hell and back for not speaking up.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 12, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh no wonder he's going in on the sex pest stuff, Asia clearly radicalized him.

Radical poontang is my band name

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Replace 'after' with 'causing' and you have the right of it.

I really think Bourdain is getting unfairly lionized on this. Batali being a creep wasn't even an open secret, it was a reported on and exposed fact. Between Heat and multiple stolen wage lawsuits against the guy, over the course of 10+ years he had stolen over $5million in tips and wages from his servers, there was no way Bourdain wasn't turning a blind eye. And then, when he pointed out that no one should be surprised by this Tom Collichio gets blasted to hell and back for not speaking up.

when I saw that Collichio tweet I thought back and realized that Mario Batali has never, to my memory, appeared on Top Chef, which is an impressive feat given that Top Chef has been around for 15 seasons plus a bunch of spin-offs and gets pretty much every big name in cooking that's still around to show up. I think Tom runs a very tight ship there and my guess is that even if he never spoke out publicly about Batali he probably knew enough to tell anyone who asked him (especially up and coming chefs) to avoid him. At this point he's a very big tastemaker in the higher class restaurant industry, you know he hears about all this poo poo well before anyone else.

Of course, as a counterpoint to that, Johnny Iuzzini, the former host of the dessert-based Top Chef spinoff has had people coming out and accusing him of sexual harassment for about two weeks. But he's not nearly as big a name as Batali, so it went by with very little fanfare.

edit: The aforementioned allegations against Iuzzini:

quote:

While at Jean-Georges, the chef oversaw a pastry kitchen that included roughly 10 people plus a group of externs. The staff was mostly women, according to three sources cited in this story. The pastry kitchen was located in a separate space from the main kitchen, and sources describe it as an ecosystem unto itself.

The four women who spoke to Mic alleged that Iuzzini was often verbally abusive and prone to screaming, and that his mood could turn dark very quickly. The two pastry chefs and one extern said it was openly speculated that Iuzzini might have had a drug problem; the other extern said when she accompanied him to an off-hours social event, she witnessed him using cocaine. When asked about these allegations, Iuzzini denied that he “ever had a drug problem.”

The first pastry chef explained that Iuzzini had a habit of touching female employees’ rear ends with items in the kitchen — knives, long vegetables and spoons — in a suggestive manner. He’d also creep up behind women menacingly. “He would stand behind you really closely and breathe on your neck,” she said. “I think he did things to make people uncomfortable, and to see what he could get away with.” She witnessed the same behavior directed at other female employees in the pastry kitchen.

A second chef who worked in Iuzzini’s kitchen backed up this account. “He used to say, ‘If I hit you with my hand, it’s harassment, but if I hit you with an object, it’s a mistake,’” she said. She was granted anonymity for fear of retribution to herself and those close to her who still work in the industry. “It was a big, huge joke to him.”

The second chef recounted a separate incident that left her deeply uncomfortable. “There was one time, I went to the walk-in for something and he ran up behind me and simulated having sex with me. He didn’t actually grind up on my butt, but his hands were on my hips,” she said. “He did it for five seconds and ran out.” She said that at the time, she wasn’t sure the event qualified as something worth reporting.

“This is going to screw up my career,” she said, describing her thought process. “He knew everybody. And if I ever wanted to get a job in a restaurant, I’m going to burn every bridge that I have. And when you’re surrounded by that, you don’t [report it], you bitch to other people.” She confided in a friend, who confirmed to Mic that the chef told her about the inappropriate touching and the simulated sex at the time that they happened.

Three of the women say that Iuzzini assigned nicknames to his female employees, some of them offensive, including “Kimchi” for an Asian woman. He also demanded that certain female employees give him shoulder massages at the end of their shifts, according to all four of the women.

“He would always make me give him a shoulder rub, every day — that was part of my job, when I signed off,” one extern told Mic on the condition of anonymity because she still works in the industry. Both externs and one pastry chef confirmed that they were asked to give shoulder massages. The first extern didn’t want to touch Iuzzini, but felt like she couldn’t say no. “I thought, ‘I’m an extern,’ and it’s just a hard place to bring up anything,” she said. “This was such an open thing. He was just that way, very openly. Everybody experienced what I experienced.” He also made crude jokes, the first extern said. Iuzzini once walked by while she was whisking and commented on her “nice technique.” “I said, ‘Thanks, chef,’ and he goes, ‘No, no, nice technique,’ and then he makes a jerking-off motion and walks away.” At another time, he showed her a photo of a woman’s genitals.

“I began working in kitchens when I was 15 years old, back in a time when it was rare to see women in the kitchen, and behavior was more bawdy than professional,” Iuzzini said in a statement to Mic. “There were dirty jokes and vulgar remarks, times where people would lose their tempers and it was deemed permissible since four-star kitchens are high-stress jobs. This was the behavior I learned as a boy, and for too many years participated in during my restaurant career. And it was wrong.”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 12, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Regarding Fieri: someone who worked as an editor for him said they constantly had to edit out Guy making gross jokes to women on Diners, especially if cream was involved in the recipe. He also supposedly ran out on a place after finding out the owners/operators were a gay couple.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Considering that Guy Fieri is the human embodiment of a Spencer's Gifts, being generally awful and regressive sadly doesn't come as much of a surprise.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've heard the Guy Fieri story about him running out of a restaurant when he found out the owners were gay but never read any specifics.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not that it couldn't have happened but I was always inclined to dismiss that rumor because it seems to be from a FWD:FWD:FWD chain, the producer is never named and;
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/02/24/guy-fieri-gay-weddings-miami/23959839/

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
If you want to read about the Fieri being afraid of gay people stuff it's in this article, attributed to David Page who was supposedly a producer for 11 seasons

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To ding Colicchio, he's had Toby Young on countless times, a guy with no redeeming qualities at all.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

To ding Colicchio, he's had Toby Young on countless times, a guy with no redeeming qualities at all.

God I loving HATE Tony Young.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even as the "mean judge" or whatever on a reality show he sucks rear end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Andy Yeatman, the Netflix executive who (unwittingly) told one of Danny Masterson's victims that Netflix didn't believe her, has been fired.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

yeah that dude is a real shitmonger. i also forgot that John Besh is on Top Chef a bunch too, and he had 25(!) employees come out and talk about harassment, both sexual and not, that they experienced while working at his restaurants.

Apparently he was a guest judge in an episode of this upcoming season of Top Chef and the production team is just editing him out entirely, which is very impressive but surely a pain in the rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Andy Yeatman, the Netflix executive who (unwittingly) told one of Danny Masterson's victims that Netflix didn't believe her, has been fired.

I'm really enjoying watching all these shitheels reap the consequences.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I've lived in NYC basically my whole life and never ate at a Batali restaurant, so I guess I am Extremely Woke

...unless getting gelato at Eataly a few times counts in which case I am a Huge Piece Of poo poo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is Eataly a Batali thing? I had no idea.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/ew/status/940798240273977344

and before you ask, nope, this isn't the same girl.

gently caress roman polanski

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Eataly brand isn't his, but his restaurant group owns the one in Flatiron.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

gently caress roman polanski

bad advice, it would seem

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh hey, Roy Moore loving lost, his career is over

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh hey, Roy Moore loving lost, his career is over

Let's hope. They're already screaming voter fraud.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

Who is this stallion, this Adonis incarnate, that Stephanie March wasn't good enough?

I've had a low-key hate for Flay for marrying someone I had a not-so-low-key crush on. I'm glad 5he guy turned out to be a shitbag.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

It is, yep. I have a friend on Facebook posting about how everyone knew he was a misogynist like every other male chef but they didn't know detailed things.

And yeah gently caress Roman Polanski.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just read Salma Hayak's new NYT article about her experience with Weinstein. A good read, but ugh.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If you follow asian film you have probably heard of Bey Logan, turns out he is also a creeper, lots of gross stuff in the link and the guy basically admits it

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harvey-weinstein-s-hong-kong-associate-accused-sexual-misconduct-by-multiple-women-report-1066921

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tars Tarkas posted:

If you follow asian film you have probably heard of Bey Logan, turns out he is also a creeper, lots of gross stuff in the link and the guy basically admits it

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harvey-weinstein-s-hong-kong-associate-accused-sexual-misconduct-by-multiple-women-report-1066921

Never trust a sexpat.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Origami Dali posted:

I just read Salma Hayak's new NYT article about her experience with Weinstein. A good read, but ugh.

Pasting the link here because I'm a considerate human being: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/13/opinion/contributors/salma-hayek-harvey-weinstein.html

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...-col-top-region

Article centers around the price Hayek had to pay to get Frida done.

quote:

The deal we made initially was that Harvey would pay for the rights of work I had already developed. As an actress, I would be paid the minimum Screen Actors Guild scale plus 10 percent. As a producer, I would receive a credit that would not yet be defined, but no payment, which was not that rare for a female producer in the ’90s. He also demanded a signed deal for me to do several other films with Miramax, which I thought would cement my status as a leading lady.

I did not care about the money; I was so excited to work with him and that company. In my naďveté, I thought my dream had come true. He had validated the last 14 years of my life. He had taken a chance on me — a nobody. He had said yes.

Little did I know it would become my turn to say no.

No to opening the door to him at all hours of the night, hotel after hotel, location after location, where he would show up unexpectedly, including one location where I was doing a movie he wasn’t even involved with.

No to me taking a shower with him.

No to letting him watch me take a shower.

No to letting him give me a massage.

No to letting a naked friend of his give me a massage.

No to letting him give me oral sex.

No to my getting naked with another woman.

No, no, no, no, no …

And with every refusal came Harvey’s Machiavellian rage.

I don’t think he hated anything more than the word “no.” The absurdity of his demands went from getting a furious call in the middle of the night asking me to fire my agent for a fight he was having with him about a different movie with a different client to physically dragging me out of the opening gala of the Venice Film Festival, which was in honor of “Frida,” so I could hang out at his private party with him and some women I thought were models but I was told later were high-priced prostitutes.

The range of his persuasion tactics went from sweet-talking me to that one time when, in an attack of fury, he said the terrifying words, “I will kill you, don’t think I can’t.”

When he was finally convinced that I was not going to earn the movie the way he had expected, he told me he had offered my role and my script with my years of research to another actress.

In his eyes, I was not an artist. I wasn’t even a person. I was a thing: not a nobody, but a body.

At that point, I had to resort to using lawyers, not by pursuing a sexual harassment case, but by claiming “bad faith,” as I had worked so hard on a movie that he was not intending to make or sell back to me. I tried to get it out of his company.

He claimed that my name as an actress was not big enough and that I was incompetent as a producer, but to clear himself legally, as I understood it, he gave me a list of impossible tasks with a tight deadline:

1. Get a rewrite of the script, with no additional payment.

2. Raise $10 million to finance the film.

3. Attach an A-list director.

4. Cast four of the smaller roles with prominent actors.

Much to everyone’s amazement, not least my own, I delivered, thanks to a phalanx of angels who came to my rescue, including Edward Norton, who beautifully rewrote the script several times and appallingly never got credit, and my friend Margaret Perenchio, a first-time producer, who put up the money. The brilliant Julie Taymor agreed to direct, and from then on she became my rock. For the other roles, I recruited my friends Antonio Banderas, Edward Norton and my dear Ashley Judd. To this day, I don’t know how I convinced Geoffrey Rush, whom I barely knew at the time.

Later she adds a sex scene at Harvey's behest, which she strongly implies occurred because Harvey had to sexually assault her somehow.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That part of the article made me straight up sick.

edit: aaand Weinstein's put out a statement that says he "doesn't remember it happening like that" so yeah, it happened like that.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 14, 2017