Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

As for the news cycle, it's because Oliver still gets to buck the day-to-day Trump stuff, in his main stories at least, that makes his program a bit more refreshing. Obviously, he's still unambiguously preachy, but his frequent pivots away from only talking about Trump, and his apparent editorial freedom makes his show seem less cynically focus-grouped in the age of Trumpism and "the Resistance".

Yeah this is why I like LWT but don't really watch the Late Show even though I loved the Colbert Report and generally like Stephen Colbert - every night it's just Trump jokes and it gets tiresome hearing about him all the time. The thing that makes LWT good is that Oliver focuses on larger systemic problems that aren't just an aspect of the current administration. The Trump stuff might feel more relevant day to day just because it dominates the news cycle so heavily, but the topics Oliver covers are the ones that actually affect people's lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah, Trump getting elected broke Colbert's brain bad. I'm going to draw some ire for this but I feel it's true anyway but Donald Trump was a net negative for comedy. You cannot possibly go a single loving show without him being mentioned and it's frankly exhausting. That might be why I rate Oliver above Bee and Bee above the others because they at least do some segments that either don't revolve around the man or only relate to him tangentially.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

seth meyers is significantly better than colbert wrt the late night comedy shtick

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's nothing funnier than trump himself so Colbert's (and many others) inability to channel his poo poo into something different and actually funny makes him really boring as he's more or less gnashing teeth and trying to clown on a man who defies clowning, is the clown, and resents clownery all at the same time. He's hilarious and stands outside critical analysis. Best to just move on and make do with what we have for a few years, it's really not that bad and it's not the first time we've had a big idiot retard of a president and yet the republic endures somehow

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trump getting elected made Colbert's late show stop sucking.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah I don't think it broke Colbert's brain as much as going after Trump surged his ratings and they figured to run with what works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can understand that you would be tried of hearing about it if that's your analysis of the current situation, but we are so far past "just a bad president and the republic will endure" at this point.

You may not agree, but the situation is not anywhere approaching normal right now and there have been and will continue to be real life consequences for average people over this "clowning."

I mean, gently caress, I already know people who have lost jobs over the instability he personally has introduced into the healthcare market through his tweets and the fact that he says something different day to day. It's not even the policy that's the problem, it's the lack of policy and that the rules change in an hourly basis. This is keeping companies from planning properly and they are going into super risk adverse mode.

We can handle a president that is an idiot and not very good at the job. We aren't, however, setup to handle a chaos monkey, yet that's what we have in the office. Even an idiot can be a stable idiot.

Also, the best reaction to someone like this is to continually make fun of them because they can't handle criticism.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I can understand that you would be tried of hearing about it if that's your analysis of the current situation, but we are so far past "just a bad president and the republic will endure" at this point.

Uhh andrew jackson existed.

Trump has not even matched andrew jackson level wackiness yet, and that fucker is on our $20

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not really a place for this debate, but there's a massive difference in the influence that a president nearly 200 years ago had and the president of modern day.

A president without Twitter, without the internet, without national televised press conferences, and without a privatized propaganda machine can be handled. Smarter, cooler heads can stage manage the individual.

That's not even getting into the continual consolidation of executive power and our increased ability and willingness to project power globally.

No matter what Jackson could have done, even with full support of the US military and the rest of the government, Trump can do more damage with 280 characters without moderation on the shitter.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I can't say Trump is worse than Dubya. At least not yet.

But the whole "the republic will endure" talk is bull crap. So many people died and suffered under Dubya. The same is happening under Trump.

The people worst off now don't want to hear people say "well is it really that bad?" It doesn't hurt that comedians are going after Trump, even if problems are way worse than just Trump.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Youre right in that jacksons actions were far more likely to result in the death of the cradle-bound republic as executive power was broad and largely untested; and judicial review had to more or less be invented to attempt to counter some of his actions. whereas now the machinery of government is so inertia driven it would likely take two or three back to back 8 year trump presidencies to really affect anything except delicate neoliberal sensibility

Goofy doofus isn't as dangerous as you imagine man.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Echo Chamber posted:

I can't say Trump is worse than Dubya. At least not yet.

Only because he hasn't been allowed to be

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

stone cold posted:

seth meyers is significantly better than colbert wrt the late night comedy shtick

Hard agree. I don't watch anything but his The Check In and A Closer Look segments, but both of those feel like network TV versions of LWT - you have to put up with some jokes that are painfully aimed at a lowest common denominator (oops, my commie elitism is showing), but hey, it's not like John Oliver is always on fire with the jokes either.

I also love Sam Bee to death. The show is loving fantastic for its queer and poc representation, not to mention the obvious female representation, and it doesn't pull its punches when criticizing people in a way that I think Noah and Colbert could - should - really learn from. Her DNC shill bullshit was extremely annoying, but thankfully we are past that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, Trump getting elected broke Colbert's brain bad. I'm going to draw some ire for this but I feel it's true anyway but Donald Trump was a net negative for comedy. You cannot possibly go a single loving show without him being mentioned and it's frankly exhausting. That might be why I rate Oliver above Bee and Bee above the others because they at least do some segments that either don't revolve around the man or only relate to him tangentially.

I agree there on it being a net negative. It's harder to make jokes when pretty much any absurd thing you come up with isn't as absurd as reality. Even more than that, the concept of being an idiot implies a harmlessness that has to this point been a very useful tool in both putting the opposition at ease and even in court, where the infantile excuse of "not remembering" or "not understanding" seems all the more plausible of a moron.

I feel like Stephen Colbert still is suffering from the change in format where he's now supposed to be the straight man just talking about goofy things instead of genuinely acting goofy, but he's picked up a little.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

This seems structured like a hit piece and it doesn't seem to make very good or well-supported complaints against her. I think I'll still give Bee a try. Although the stuff people are saying about both Noah and Bee inheriting satire as opposed a more humble comedy like weekend update, and being less humble for it, makes sense too. Bee may be more left wing -- Noah though, he should have just stuck to comedy and stayed out of politics because now I just know him as the guy who sided with the fascists with whining and condescending complaints about antifa. Even before that I remember him being aggressively unfunny. I guess that's why none of you are recommending him. Thanks for the answers and I appreciate all the analysis of who's actually got good takes among the video-clip havers versus who's trying to water it down for conservatives... that's important too.

Just finally subscribed to Seth Meyers on YouTube. I don't know what stopped me from finding him before... I guess I thought I was saving it up to watch it in its original format with full episodes, but that makes a lot less sense for a current events show than a topic based show like Last Week Tonight. Or I was waiting for my GF to find the good clips... but now any clip I've waited to watch has become outdated and I shouldn't have waited. He's great, one time during a summary of Trump and Ivanka's Businesses did he "accidentally" deliver the line "conflicts of incest" or am I thinking of Colbert?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sam Bee isn't left-wing. For better or for worse, she's a liberal. Especially since the Democratic Primaries, she has had a bone to pick with the Left.

I still watch Noah's show. I know a lot of leftists gave up on Trevor a long time ago, but I'm still going to give him the benefit of the doubt even with his single unsympathetic depiction of Antifa. (Like, it's just one bit. I think he can be swayed if more sympathetic anecdotes or stories with Antifa surface.) Trevor, like Bee, has postured himself as a standard liberal. Unlike Sam Bee, he doesn't aggressively punch left, and seems to like Bernie Sanders a bit more, although he doesn't seem to have a high opinion of his fan club. With both Noah and Sam Bee, there's a slight paternalist tone towards the Left and millennials... like they wish they've known better or understood how the world really works, etc.

Obviously, these are just my impressions of their politics. But I don't think I'm projecting too much. They aren't above policing the Left, but prefer Trump as a target obviously.

The Opposition with Jordan Klepper actually had a very sympathetic Kobi Libii segment about Antifa.

I'm too much of a kneejerk SNL hater to give Seth Meyers a fair shot. I know there's that overlap between SNL and TDS with Michael Che.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

Not sure if it was articulated in this thread or another, but someone said that it's because Stewart gradually made The Daily Show more politically-conscious from its humble beginnings as a Weekend Update knockoff that helped contribute to the goodwill he's enjoyed from the audience.

I'm thinking Seth Meyers is picking up some of that effect right now, for what it's worth.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just Googled it and the "conflicts of incest" line that made me laugh so hard came from Trevor Noah :lol:

But I just remembered the other reason to hate him too: his sucking up to Tomi Lahren

Is that it? Just that and the antifa segment (which to be clear was a pretty long and harsh segment)? Maybe I should give him another chance if he can be funny. I'll start with Seth Meyers though.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 14, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I just Googled it and the "conflicts of incest" line that made me laugh so hard came from Trevor Noah :lol:

But I just remembered the other reason to hate him too: his sucking up to Tomi Lahren

Is that it? Just that and the antifa segment (which to be clear was a pretty long and harsh segment)? Maybe I should give him another chance if he can be funny. I'll start with Seth Meyers though.

I don't remeber him sucking up to her. I remember him inviting her on the show and asking her when it's ok for black people to protest since she has so much to say about when they can't. It was one of his better moments.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

GutBomb posted:

I don't remeber him sucking up to her. I remember him inviting her on the show and asking her when it's ok for black people to protest since she has so much to say about when they can't. It was one of his better moments.

This is what I remember.

He let her talk. She didn't have any answers or ideas behind her talking points. If he asked her something that wasn't apart of those, she's quickly try to go back to something.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I've been enjoying Trevor, especially the little non-televised bits of him talking to the audience they put up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeskMkEaHJYfIUSU8jfEQ45x7qP4_pzl9

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I enjoy Seth Meyers. I especially like the segment titled "Jokes Seth can't tell". He does a good job of giving his writers and producers a voice that isn't filtered through himself.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trevor is much, much better when he is off script.

He needs to play the outsider looking in more. He can't follow John as he isn't an insider and he will never be seen as one. Being on the outside is his strenght that none of the others have as it allows him to come at the news from angles other can't. That's why when he goes off script he is so much better as his writers aren't writing for him but to him resulting in the Antifa mess where he acted like a sheltered suburban idiot with no history or idea of oppression and what it takes to fight it right down to worrying about some smashed windows.

I don't know where they have gone but whenever he does an Africa joke its gold. I don't know who writes those but they need a promotion as they need to get out of their head the ideas they are writing for John Stewart and not Trevor Noah.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think Trevor is that good no matter what angle he's coming from. He's just not that funny, and topically the Daily Show has been left behind by numerous better shows.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But his book was good

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Wow. I love you guys. I wasn't expecting the J/O thread to blow up during the off season.

Drunk post after a long day:
On top of Sam Bee not being very funny (Trevor Noah isn't either) I'm really tired of the late night comedians being the vanguard of truth.

It's too easily directed into a narrow alleyway. That's what makes late night suck, and that's been making these precious dead gay forums suck.

oohhboy posted:

Trevor is much, much better when he is off script.

Even Trump.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hate Noah all you want cuz I could understand it even if I don't agree entirely. But Jon Stew was only OK as a comedian anyway. Of the three the real talent was Colbert in the comedy column.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
... I also hate that derivative shitshow called the opposition.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I stopped watching The Daily Show after Viacom drank stupid juice and pulled all their shows from Hulu. I wasn’t gonna go back to watching on my iPad or laptop, and AirPlay can be real flaky, so it’s been over a year and I don’t think I’ve missed much. I haven’t seen any clips go viral or this or that.

Honestly, Seth Meyers has the best late night show. A Closer Look is basically TDS in 7 minutes. I skip interviews for people I don’t care about, but he’s a lot of fun in interviews as well. I need to check out Colbert again but I’ll be surprised if I like it more than Late Night.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

Sam Bee isn't left-wing. For better or for worse, she's a liberal. Especially since the Democratic Primaries, she has had a bone to pick with the Left.

Yeah, her slavish devotion to Hillary and rabid hatred of Bernie are my major problem with Sam Bee. But it's kind of not surprising that the rich white lady in her 40s isn't feeling how hosed up things really are.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never gave Trevor Noah much of a chance, because before he somehow got the Daily Show, I was already familiar with him from a number of English panel shows, where he was a fine person, just not particularly funny at all. So it's not like he'd add much to this show I'd already fallen away from.

The weird thing about a lot of these shows is that while they ostensibly are comedy shows, it's pretty clear that comedy is not necessarily their priority, and they wind up being just slightly goofy pundits. Last Week Tonight for example, is genuinely meant to be informative outside of the ten minutes of goofy punditry at the beginning, and it genuinely is informative. It kind of feels disingenuous to call them just comedy shows.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

swickles posted:

I enjoy Seth Meyers. I especially like the segment titled "Jokes Seth can't tell". He does a good job of giving his writers and producers a voice that isn't filtered through himself.

Pretty much any of the bits with the two women who are in the "Jokes Seth can't tell" bit are good. Maybe Amber can take over for Sam Bee or something.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Just looked at it and Noah seems barely able to hide his contempt for her. Like he actually have to pause a bit before responding to the "I don't see color" line.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Alhazred posted:

Just looked at it and Noah seems barely able to hide his contempt for her. Like he actually have to pause a bit before responding to the "I don't see color" line.

Ok. Maybe he's fine and the antifa segment was the fault of the show's producers then. I'll give his show a shot

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Wish we had John Oliver for all of next week's(?) Mueller stuff. Does anyone have any favorite clips of the other comedians being discussed spitting some fire?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never gave Trevor Noah much of a chance, because before he somehow got the Daily Show, I was already familiar with him from a number of English panel shows, where he was a fine person, just not particularly funny at all. So it's not like he'd add much to this show I'd already fallen away from.

The weird thing about a lot of these shows is that while they ostensibly are comedy shows, it's pretty clear that comedy is not necessarily their priority, and they wind up being just slightly goofy pundits. Last Week Tonight for example, is genuinely meant to be informative outside of the ten minutes of goofy punditry at the beginning, and it genuinely is informative. It kind of feels disingenuous to call them just comedy shows.

LWT is also not particularly funny and I feel like the show would honestly benefit a lot from dialing it back.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Opposition is a genuinely great show and everyone should be watching it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrpeEitIEpA

Not as good as last year's promo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I prefer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZzH4UChiHk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I want a chroma key of John running

• Locked thread