Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Also it's illegal and punishable to file meritless law suits in the state of California. I'm sure Skadden knows this, and I seriously doubt they would've filed if they didn't think they could win. Of course "use CryEngine" is vague and who knows what the agreement says or escape hatches it has, but I'm unwilling to just dismiss this out of hand.

Also an injunction is an interesting question. On the one hand they are currently distributing the supposedly breaching work. On the other hand the induction would severely limit CIG's ability to pay a potential suit and damage it's IP greatly, which neither side really wants (probably, since presumably Cry wants paid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The backers really bought the angle that their vendors were working for free (because CIG refused to pay them).

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Santa : "Ho ho hooo, now, who do we have here?"

CR : "Hello um ah er, Snata, I'm Chris, I want a porsche, a limited edition one, a mansion in LA a......"

Santa : "Ho ho hooo, now hold your horses young man, first we need to check where you are on my lists, have you been a good boy this year?"

CR : "Hurrumpfff, Yes er Snata, um I've been good, all year, now back to um ah what I was originally demanding of you....."

Santa : "Ho ho hooo, it says here that you are on the naughty list, are you sure you've been a good boy Chris?"

CR : "Um ah, well, er, I promise that every penny goes into making the game, my word is as good as my bond, I'd never break a contract, especially not if there's really scary lawyers after me"

Santa : "Now look here you greedy little bastard... they are coming for you!!"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/941075946400112640

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Rad Russian posted:

We'll know more soon but as others haven mentioned they were hoping that either a) Crytek goes under or b) Their game comes out two weeks from now and generates $500 million in sales and they buy the rest of crytek with it. Neither has happened.

Also lawsuit can't be frivolous because of the firm involved. Skadden wouldn't take on a case without doing a lot of research and seeing $25 million+ settlement ahead.

If CIG actually IS insolvent as Derek claims, then not only they go down but Crytek as well. Because Crytek won't be able to recover the legal fees which will be $10-15 million after all is said and done. And Crytek is barely hanging on as is.

Croberts will annihilate two companies with his incompetence. It's glorious. Everyone who touched the poop will get hosed. Except the lawyers who will make a lot of money, of course.

That's the part where I call BS on the Warlord TBH I mean...sorry to doubt you, after you demonstrably called it Derek, but they had to have money to keep paying their staff somehow so I doubt they're quite entirely dry yet.

But sure as gently caress, this lawsuit will make them so :laffo:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Bofast posted:

So, if the "exclusively use CryEngine" part of the lawsuit is correct, they just admitted outright that they are in breach of contract?

At this point it's just arguing about how they broke their contract. CIG's brilliant defense is that after they misused the engine and didn't fulfill their contractual obligations they dropped the engine completely, breaking the contract, and are now not subject to the contract?

This is like TV Lawyering where Ortwin thinks he is going to call a surprise witness that completely wins the case just after the stunning closing monologue without the prosecution ever getting to speak.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I just love how royally hosed they are no matter what. They can't say they didn't switch engines because of all of the points they broke, but they can't say they switched either because that is ALSO breaking the contract.

:lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
On the twelve days of xmas my true love sent to me

Members of the jury 1 - 12 up yours CIG :lol:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Hav posted:

Seriously, the biggest part of this is the GLA that we're getting a glimpse into. They have _paper_, presumably signed, that indicated intent. A failure to follow through on that intent is a breach of contract, and that's pretty much the whole thing without the copyright claims, or the bad faith in negotiations.
Exactly. No matter what excuses CIG comes up with, they breached the contract they had with CryTek. If they no longer wanted to use CryTek's engine then they should have stopped all development and tried to settle with CryTek to terminate or buy out the existing contract that the game's development was tied to.

Once the contract was terminated in agreement by both parties then CIG would have been free to switch to whatever engine they wanted.

Crazypoops posted:

I just love how royally hosed they are no matter what. They can't say they didn't switch engines because of all of the points they broke, but they can't say they switched either because that is ALSO breaking the contract.

Yeah, CIG appears completely screwed. And that short response they gave out to the lawsuit shows at that time they had no idea at that point how screwed they are.

EDIT: typos and grammar

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 13, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

lmao

This is a great day

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Crazypoops posted:

Either way, Coutt's "collateral" is now completely worthless.

I mean it was always completely worthless, but now it's worthless in a way bankers can understand.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

At this point it's just arguing about how they broke their contract. CIG's brilliant defense is that after they misused the engine and didn't fulfill their contractual obligations they dropped the engine completely, breaking the contract, and are now not subject to the contract?

This is like TV Lawyering where Ortwin thinks he is going to call a surprise witness that completely wins the case just after the stunning closing monologue without the prosecution ever getting to speak.

SHOCKING EVIDENCE

Sandi has cell phone footage of Chris crossing his fingers when he signed the contract.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Evilopoly90/status/941070388146180096

https://twitter.com/conker87/status/941067158561443848

https://twitter.com/1114cole/status/941061672504119296

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VictorianQueerLit posted:

And it's himself.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Crazypoops posted:

And it's the same for Squadron 42 - they either say they were developing it in CryEngine and taking orders for it without having a license to do so, or they say they weren't developing it which means they were lying about working on it over a period of years whilst taking pre-orders for it.

They're hosed from all angles.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The first Coutts is the deepest, baby, I know
The first Coutts is the deepest
But when it comes to being lucky, he's cursed
When it comes to licencing engines, he's worse

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

SomethingJones posted:

And it's the same for Squadron 42 - they either say they were developing it in CryEngine and taking orders for it without having a license to do so, or they say they weren't developing it which means they were lying about working on it over a period of years whilst taking pre-orders for it.

They're hosed from all angles.

:allears: it's so good. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

"months"

somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 of 'em i would guess

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/941069079187738625

It's like poetry, it rhymes

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/941077690408464384

https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/941078208421748738

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

SomethingJones posted:

Crytek licensed CryEngine at a cut down price to CIG as long as they used it to build Star Citizen and all of that was written into the contract and was broken so now it appears in the lawsuit. The only bit of the contract you need to see is included in the lawsuit, I don't know what else you need to see to determine its merit.

The piece of the contract they are in breach of is copied in the lawsuit and listed as a fact in the case.

The gravamen of this claim in the complaint appears to be these two paragraphs:

36. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA contained a critical promise from Defendants that they would not develop the Star Citizen video game using any other video game engines.
37. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA states that Defendants have a license only to "exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game."

The selection of the agreement "exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game" may not necessarily mean that CIG had to use it for the "Game," just that they could only use it for the "Game." They don't quote enough to know if CryTek's characterization of the agreement is the only way it can be read. It could be an attempt at a cash grab using an "aggressive interpretation" of the agreement. That's all I'm saying.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen: and a co-oooo-ke hea-aaaad in Cell block B

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
To the newly registered Skadden lawyers dudes who just registered an SA account

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Oh hey guys, anything new happen today?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/941078715785777156

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Toops posted:

Nah, not really

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toops posted:

Nah. Not “new”… as such.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : strangeways here we come.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Now I understand why Miles Eckhart isn't in the game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk&t=246s

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Disappointed that none of the articles contain the words "Derek Smart was right" or "goons" tbh

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Skadden: "I'm going to get right to the point. It has come to my attention that you and the studio changed the development from CryEngine to Lumberyard. Is that correct?"

Crobbler: "Who said that?"

Skadden: "You did."

Crobbler: (pauses for a few seconds) "Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first agreed with Crytek that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of studios and I tell you people do that all the time."

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Nicholas posted:

"We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. CIG hasn’t used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter."

Yes I know. But you must admit the case if a bit more ambiguous than if they had switched, say, to Unreal 4. Because LY still technically is CE. So is LY another, completely different engine, or is it a new branch of CE that is marketed/owned by a different company ?

I do not have the answer and I certainly do not think it's an easy black & white answer.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.
Relax, it's still alpha. That beta lawsuit though...

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
Let me coutts the way CIG is screwed.
1)Media will have a hayday
2)Backer confidence will be shaken
3)Interim injunction to stop the project is possible
4)Coutts loan called in
5)Lawsuit goes through and judgment entered against CIG

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nyast posted:

I do not have the answer and I certainly do not think it's an easy black & white answer.

Is it funny? Yes
There is your black and white answer commando

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MinorInconvenience posted:

The gravamen of this claim in the complaint appears to be these two paragraphs:

36. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA contained a critical promise from Defendants that they would not develop the Star Citizen video game using any other video game engines.
37. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA states that Defendants have a license only to "exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game."

The selection of the agreement "exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game" may not necessarily mean that CIG had to use it for the "Game," just that they could only use it for the "Game." They don't quote enough to know if CryTek's characterization of the agreement is the only way it can be read. It could be an attempt at a cash grab using an "aggressive interpretation" of the agreement. That's all I'm saying.

Well if that's their defence then they really are truly hosed because a jury ain't buying that load of old cobblers in ten million years.

edit - the word "exclusively" is explicit and easily understood.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 14, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Actually I believe you'll find that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Oh for the love of god, will you guys stop posting? I. Just. Can't.Keep.Up.

Please? Pretty Please?