Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the point. Cucumbers are cheap but the only people who eat cucumber sandwiches are self important rich pricks. That's why they were on Mao's ship in the first place, to show what a douche he is.

It's the rich, space-dude version of eating an apple on camera. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Just finished book 7 and ready for season 3. When does it drop?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

gohmak posted:

Just finished book 7 and ready for season 3. When does it drop?

They just wrapped up shooting last weekend and the cast has been bigging up the SFX guys, so they are a ways into post-production. I would guess March at the earliest, late summer at the outside.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They just wrapped up shooting last weekend and the cast has been bigging up the SFX guys, so they are a ways into post-production. I would guess March at the earliest, late summer at the outside.

I heard they were filming season's 3 and 4 at the same time, so I'm hoping spring at the latest.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

sebmojo posted:

a giant tray of cucumber sandwiches is like five bucks.

That's two 40s

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The last two seasons started in January so probably then? I haven't seen any announcement though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Actually, that's not accurate. Season 1 started December 14th. Season 2 started Feb 1st. So, going by the gap between the last two seasons, it could be March or April.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

bull3964 posted:

Actually, that's not accurate. Season 1 started December 14th. Season 2 started Feb 1st. So, going by the gap between the last two seasons, it could be March or April.

Just finished voiceovers: https://twitter.com/casanvar/status/940698216789458944
:neckbeard:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If I were to guess, t would say a 1 or 2 week overlap with the end of The Magicians run. So that would put us near the end of March.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked when an entire load of Expanse extras showed up in Star Trek Discovery as a shuttle full of convicts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked when an entire load of Expanse extras showed up in Star Trek Discovery as a shuttle full of convicts.

I liked when they had to install giant windshield wipers to clean the people who'd been spaced off the screen like giant bugs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bull3964 posted:

Didn't season one have some weird poo poo where the first couple episodes came out like a month or two early and then they aired the rest?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Didn't season one have some weird poo poo where the first couple episodes came out like a month or two early and then they aired the rest?

Yes. They released 'Dulcinea' on November 27th before showing it on the 14th. They then followed up with ' The Big Empty' on the 15th (which was the regular timeslot.)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, didn't they drop the first 4 eps around late-summer or fall, a couple of months before the actual run started in December? Wiki doesn't say but I am sure I remember that...

edit: derp...it says at the top of the page that they released the first episodes ondemand a month early for Thanksgiving. :eng99:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, didn't they drop the first 4 eps around late-summer or fall, a couple of months before the actual run started in December? Wiki doesn't say but I am sure I remember that...

edit: derp...it says at the top of the page that they released the first episodes ondemand a month early for Thanksgiving. :eng99:

Just episode 1 was released on the 27th. They released episodes 2-4 on December 16th following the two night premier on the network.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I wait for season 3, I'm watching Battlestar Galactica. I never actually finished the show, so I'm going in from square one with the miniseries.

It's a drat good miniseries. Couple quibbles about the time frame though, and just how the hell Baltar survived a nuclear shockwave destroying his house and Six's body but leaving him with a cut on his cheek.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

While I wait for season 3, I'm watching Battlestar Galactica. I never actually finished the show, so I'm going in from square one with the miniseries.

It's a drat good miniseries. Couple quibbles about the time frame though, and just how the hell Baltar survived a nuclear shockwave destroying his house and Six's body but leaving him with a cut on his cheek.

There's a good reason for that which is actually consistent with one of the themes of the show.

God did it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress God. I did like how Baltar's plan to frame the media director to cover his rear end actually turned out to be true.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

IIRC Cucumbers are also incredibly thirsty crops to grow so in the context of the Expanse universe it's a great wealth signifier, especially to a Belter or Martian for whom water is a very limited and valuable resource.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Everyone in space must really fuckin hate California in that universe.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Depends, maybe the NAWAPA was built and the US took BC's water. Then California wouldn't care about water all over again!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Water_and_Power_Alliance

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Season 2 hits Prime on Feb 7th.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think I speak for the thread, and quite probably all of humanity itself when I ask, how long till we get the S2 recat?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think I speak for the thread, and quite probably all of humanity itself when I ask, how long till we get the S2 recat?

Is...is this season 2 but reshot with cats??? :confused:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Is...is this season 2 but reshot with cats??? :confused:

did you not see season one recat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Season 2 hits Prime on Feb 7th.

Thank god, I need to rewatch this so badly

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm assuming we can expect the next season in March or something? Or at least a trailer in February.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to guess late March or early April.

The Magicians and Channel Zero end on March 14th. So that's a two hour free block on Weds afterwards.

So, smart money is the 21st or 28th of March with it potentially pushed back if they want to run something else short term in that block for a few weeks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, is season 2 expected to be free on Amazon Prime?

e: nvm just saw upthread

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 23, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to guess late March or early April.

The Magicians and Channel Zero end on March 14th. So that's a two hour free block on Weds afterwards.

So, smart money is the 21st or 28th of March with it potentially pushed back if they want to run something else short term in that block for a few weeks.

I imagine that they'll be pairing it with Krypton for those three months, with 12 Monkeys fitting in there somewhere as well.

Then Wynonna Earp/Killjoys for late Summer, and then Van Helsing/The Purge/Z Nation/Channel Zero again over October. Nightflyers will probably take up the rear, possibly with a second season of Happy!

No idea when Deadly Class will happen, I'd have stuck it with The Magicians, but I guess you could throw it out along with Killjoys.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I don't have a lot to add to the conversation and I haven't even started catching up with the thread yet, but...

I discovered this series late last year, binged the first two seasons and am pretty much in love with it. It is, in a lot of ways, what I'd been waiting/hoping for from a series like this. How do the books compare? How's the prose and style, for example? Might wanna check them out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I don't have a lot to add to the conversation and I haven't even started catching up with the thread yet, but...

I discovered this series late last year, binged the first two seasons and am pretty much in love with it. It is, in a lot of ways, what I'd been waiting/hoping for from a series like this. How do the books compare? How's the prose and style, for example? Might wanna check them out.

Books are really good and expand on/correct most of what the show does wrong (mostly the timespans and orbital mechanics of space battles). I think the show does a slightly better job with the characters, but they also had several books worth of material to go on, so you could think of it more as a slow-burn in the books.

I think the style/prose would be similar to other contemporary authors who go for a kind of dry realism in the writing: think GRRM in space.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Open Source Idiom posted:

I imagine that they'll be pairing it with Krypton for those three months, with 12 Monkeys fitting in there somewhere as well.

Well, we know Krypton is premiering March 21st.

My guess is a 2 hour premier of Krypton on the 21st with The Expanse coming in on the 28th to pair with it.

12 Monkeys will probably be a one shot again sometime in May.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Books are really good and expand on/correct most of what the show does wrong (mostly the timespans and orbital mechanics of space battles). I think the show does a slightly better job with the characters, but they also had several books worth of material to go on, so you could think of it more as a slow-burn in the books.

I think the style/prose would be similar to other contemporary authors who go for a kind of dry realism in the writing: think GRRM in space.

They don't spend 4 pages describing the banner patterns, food at a meal, and how the clothing was stitched every chapter. It's a much faster and cleaner read than GRRM.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Prose is solid B work. Straightforward, well edited.

I mean, don't expect great literature. The first book -- all I've read -- has that loose, inexpressive style to it that doesn't exactly scream "I'm a novel". Feels more like someone's novelisation of an unmade film script or whatever. But if you can look past that then it's pretty smooth sailing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Avasarala is even better in the books than the show, so you shouldn't need more reason than that. She is not in the first book though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'm glad I saw the first season before I read any of the books just so I could have Shohreh Aghdashloo as my image of Avasarala.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I mean, don't expect great literature. The first book -- all I've read -- has that loose, inexpressive style to it that doesn't exactly scream "I'm a novel". Feels more like someone's novelisation of an unmade film script or whatever. But if you can look past that then it's pretty smooth sailing.

TBQH, I think the prose improves measurably even just going from LW to CW.

uber_stoat posted:

I'm glad I saw the first season before I read any of the books just so I could have Shohreh Aghdashloo as my image of Avasarala.

I heard all the lines in her voice anyway. It was quite the moment when they announced that she would actually play Avasarala.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

That's why the TV show is so tight - the book writers are also the show writers and were more than willing to adapt to the medium at the expense of the original material to produce a good product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That's why the TV show is so tight - the book writers are also the show writers and were more than willing to adapt to the medium at the expense of the original material to produce a good product.

They are also quoted as saying they fixed things narratively they wish they could go back and do in the books.

• Locked thread