Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I'm betting roberts bet everything on having amazons support, engineers and tech for more than the 6 weeks they were out there before they noped off the fuckin project

They probably banked on never actually releasing a game gave them the right to not pay crytech. Then the engine “switch” washed their hands of any prior obligations because Hollywood lawyer.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Themesong for today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXW_dHd42pY

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

petition for derek to buy whatever remains of the Star Citizen IP once this is all said and done
Now that's a spite pledge I can get behind.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

I got downvoted by the SC dissent police for commenting on the Crytek lawsuit, so I decided to seek a more sympathetic audience elsewhere.

Karma is looking up! Thank you, /shittykickstarters!

Love your Reddit username btw

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey Goons what's going...

Holy poo poo :eyepop::staredog:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The soulless law firm coming in here at the end makes me think of the conquistadors on the beach at the end of Apocalypto.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
David Braben just heard the news

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

SomethingJones posted:

This is the most coverage in the games press CIG have had in more than 18 months. Even the link to the lawsuit on Scribd is appearing in news.google.com searches for 'Star Citizen' which is loving hilarious to me

That image, printed on professional grade, 100 year archival paper, and mounted in a finely-hand-crafted frame would make a great Chrismas present.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is the game out (of hot water) yet?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Abuminable posted:

That image, printed on professional grade, 100 year archival paper, and mounted in a finely-hand-crafted frame would make a great Chrismas present.

Just now I made a new subfolder called 'ELE' for that image

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here's a little song I wrote, you might want to learn it note for note, don't worry be happy

(I will be recording a new parody tonight hopefully when it's a bit cooler. It is very relevant right now)

Derek Smart was right.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Gotta love how Tarkaroshe really believes that SC brings all the views to Twitch and Amazon will protect CIG/SC for those precious SC views.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Crazypoops posted:

Hey guys, I've been looking for photo's of Crytek's legal team so I can dox them but all I can find are these artists Ryan Archer's renderings.

Anyway, I'm sure Ortee can handle it. Star Citizen is good.

This is cool,what is it from?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hahahaha I love the alternate reality these guys live in

Oh wait its that thin skin guy that reads this thread right? Hey bro, is Amazon CIGs publisher now or something?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

They probably banked on never actually releasing a game gave them the right to not pay crytech. Then the engine “switch” washed their hands of any prior obligations because Hollywood lawyer.

Well Chris Roberts has not released a game in the last 20 years so that is a good call.

Also - Mae Demming.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Emrakul from Magic: The Gathering

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Foo Diddley posted:

Love your Reddit username btw

It was Daztek’s meme, I just archered it. I only regret my schedule is such that I’m not typing nearly so much as I long to... especially now!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
God can you imagine what this will do to developer motivation. All your work you have done or planned to do might be in worthless to your end goal. That has to be crushing.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I think it's art from a Magic the Gathering expansion.

too late

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

So there's two other lawsuits getting fired up as well?

Please please please let one of them be from AMD so we can finally see that letter.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

minimum settlement on this would probably be something like $30m, with absolute and total control of any and all original cryengine assets and code turned over and a complete production halt on star citizen / squadron 42

At the very, hilarious minimum, Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are hosed. They may as well stop development and erase everything/send it to crytech and start everything from scratch using another engine. Everything they have done to date is cooked.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I can see it now:

"Mr. Amazon, please help us save our game and PC gaming. We're using your platform and everything. We'll give you lots of positive press and feature you in game and ever. Now, I know that we're in trouble cause we promised that to the last suc- I mean business partner and we went back on it, but we're good for it this time I swear"

EDIT: Just for shits, games with more viewers than SC right now: Doki Doki Literature Club (a free horror Visual Novel); Okami; Kerbal; Dofus....

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 14, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Maybe they can ask Frontier for help.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Emrakul

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Gotta love how Tarkaroshe really believes that SC brings all the views to Twitch and Amazon will protect CIG/SC for those precious SC views.

All 100 unique views a week. It's basically the backbone of Twitch...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
And I saw when the thread opened one of the posts, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, "Called it!"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The Titanic posted:

At the very, hilarious minimum, Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are hosed. They may as well stop development and erase everything/send it to crytech and start everything from scratch using another engine. Everything they have done to date is cooked.
"This is just the clean break Chris needs to start again with a small, agile and more flexible team to nail a great release."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
FYI, today was just the tip of the iceberg.

What comes next, and which I've also been sitting on for months, is bigger than this CryTek lawsuit, and even more hilarious.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

D_Smart posted:

What comes next, and which I've also been sitting on for months, is bigger than this CryTek lawsuit, and even more hilarious.

THE TIME OF VINDICATION ARRIVES!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

D_Smart posted:

How many weeks?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Scruffpuff posted:

At least Sandi will get away scot-free, since nobody in the world will recognize her.

holy poo poo lol

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

El Grillo posted:

Have any forum internet lawyers has a good look at the pleadings yet? What's the verdict? Also are there pre-action protocols in the USA/the relevant states requiring parties to pursue ADR solutions before issuing proceedings?

Why (out of interest?)
The pleadings aren't really enough to reach a conclusion. I'd need to at least see any contracts between CIG and Crytek.

Skadden isn't infallible, and I've seen firms just as prestigious get poured out. But they don't make dumb, obvious mistakes, so CIG is going to need some serious lawyers of their own. The complaint is cleverly set up so that CIG might walk into one claim trying to deny another (for example, their press release), and it might not even contain their best stuff. It's entirely possible they're saving it for an amended complaint, to avoid tipping off CIG during discovery.

And judges can usually order parties into mediation, but I'm not certain about this particular court. I'm curious why Ortwin didn't include an arbitration provision that would hide all this from the outside world, especially being from the film industry where it's common.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Why are you captain underpants

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Crazypoops posted:

I think it's art from a Magic the Gathering expansion.

too late

Incitatus posted:

Emrakul from Magic: The Gathering

Thanks guys!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

THE TIME OF VINDICATION ARRIVES!

When the warlord opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, "Come!"

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

D_Smart posted:

I am split between rolling my eyes and wanting you to have your moment today.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Uncle Derek, do you think we may not get Chris Roberts BDSSE now? :confused:

If not can we still play LoD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

thatguy posted:

And I saw when the thread opened one of the posts, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, "Called it!"

and blogs followed with him