Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

Remember one of the earlier videos of Chris pecking at the keyboard before he looks up in that infomercial way like oh hey guys didn't see you there

I loved that, yes. It was one of the earlier videos back when CR was still pretending to not only be playing his game but also actively developing it.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
lol ok

Schedules may include holidays, weekends, and alternate shifts, on occasion

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Young Freud posted:

A thought occurred to me: what happens to Coutts if Crytek wins, since CIG put up their IP as collateral for the loan? It seems that would start another legal battle, either Crytek vs. Coutts for the fire sale of CIG or Coutts vs. CIG for the loss of the IP.

Coutts will find that they collateral they were offered, wasn't CIG/RSI to give. And so their loan would be worthless. They would have to go after CIG or liquidate the rest of the collateral that doesn't become CryTek's.

This lawsuit has wide ranging implications. Skadden has offices in EU and the US lawsuit is only the first volley. More soon.

ps: They're hosed. Completely. And this isn't even the worst (that's currently playing out and coming sooner than I expected) of it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ewe2 posted:

A most astute observation from the Frontier forums:

Any comment from legal Goons? You'd think a termination clause would be absolutely necessary at a serious point of development. Well no, this is Chris Roberts.

This is good, but I think it’s important to get into CRs brain here.

When he had CryTek to build his demo, and when he started this, he genuinely believed this was a 2-3 years at most project. In his mind, he was going to make the Matrix faster and better than anybody because he’s got all these great ideas that nobody else in the world ever had.

I have no doubt at all that he happily signed lots of “life of the project” type things because the project was supposed to be over 2 or more years ago.

Chris Roberts’ hideous ability at software project estimation is killing him all across the board as it’s wonderful. :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

Also speaking of Derek, has anybody stopped to consider what he’s going to do after this???

I hope this isn’t one of those things where he lays down, kisses his family, and says his work here is finished before heaven itself opens up and barfs a giant blog on his bed which finishes him off.

Hurry Derek, find a new hobby before this one shuts down! :ohdear:

I am semi-retired, remember? I just finished several online courses on day trading, so I'm going to be focusing on that after this poo poo-show. Plus I expect that I'm going to be busy with interviews, streams, my Star Citizen book (talking to Amazon Publishing and others atm) etc.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Experience documenting processes, training employees, and motivating teams

didnt one of the developers say not to expect this from the staff because everyone was too busy swamped with work lol

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The most important thing here is: what does Clifford have to say about this? And has he sent any pizzas to CIG to lift their spirits in this dark time?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The various assorted stupidities of the SCultists have been amusing but when they completely mangle legal principles and good lawyering that for some reason sticks in my craw. No you dumbshit, ask any lawyer who took first year Civ Pro, and they'll recognize the dollar figure of 75k because they want to allege grounds for diversity jurisdiction. Even if they were "hard up on cash" you smooth-brained idiot, they still wouldn't get that sum unless they win the suit, which happens at the end, which makes your attempted point plainly nonsensical even if you have only the barest knowledge of how the legal system works. A top firm doesn't work for peanuts and if they're taking a case like this it's because they see a large fee won on contingency, which if they're good at their jobs means they've assessed the legal merit as good because they're not getting a lot of money unless they win. And no, since everything alleged is half in the public in the form of all the garbage videos CIG's put out, there's nothing being "hidden" here, aside from maybe the full contract which isn't public (yet) but clearly the lawyers would have seen that. CIG implicated itself with its official public statement, you jackass! There's nothing to fake when your opponent is busy walking into bear traps of their own accord.

So loving stupid. You getting nothing and the lawyers getting everything else after Crytek extracts its pound of flesh is precisely what you deserve you worthless twats.

Young Freud posted:

A thought occurred to me: what happens to Coutts if Crytek wins, since CIG put up their IP as collateral for the loan? It seems that would start another legal battle, either Crytek vs. Coutts for the fire sale of CIG or Coutts vs. CIG for the loss of the IP.
A basic principle is that you can't pledge something you don't have any rights to. So the loan is possibly already in default and there may be some urgent calls going on right now demanding the full balance this instant. Even worse is if CIG misrepresented the degree that their rights to the IP was theirs and irrevocable, which would be, well, fraud. In the event, the loan contract is a separate thing and what Coutts wants is cold, hard cash. The collateral was merely a means to ensure they got their share if payment wasn't forthcoming; if Coutts isn't paid now, it's safe to say they won't get anything if they let proceedings get that far. Either the company bankrupts itself in defending the suit, Crytek gets a liquidation of everything and maybe under UK law gets priority over secured creditors (dunno), or Crytek claims all the assets tainted by the revocation of the rights and Coutts gets a bunch of literal jpegs of concept art, some mocap data, whatever lovely music they composed, and of course the SQ42 script.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Is there any way that Roberts and co end up losing the money they paid themselves or does this just end with a bunch of smug scammers with enough cash in the bank for their next venture?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Spermanent Record posted:

Is there any way that Roberts and co end up losing the money they paid themselves or does this just end with a bunch of smug scammers with enough cash in the bank for their next venture?

I'm going to guess the latter.

On top of that I'll bet half a sandwich that enough mocap equipment to run a small studio is going to somehow carry itself down a back stairwell some 2am and vanish mysteriously into the night.

What I'm excited for is Chris Roberts kickstarting another 20 million once the dust settles.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Spermanent Record posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to go after their personal income, but I'm not a Warlawyerd.

Like if they were making the decisions I'm pretty sure they're liable?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Dusty Lens posted:

What I'm excited for is Chris Roberts kickstarting another 20 million once the dust settles.

You just know he's going to try this again. He's such a weasel.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D_Smart posted:

my Star Citizen book (talking to Amazon Publishing and others atm) etc.

ELEs I Have Called and 200 Blog Posts

Being the Personal Histories (and addresses, and phone numbers, and twitter accounts) of B'tak, Jester86, SC_White_Knight, [deleted], and everyone else who wouldn't let me loving finish

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
So I guess it really is Turbulent coming for them next.

Wow.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I wonder how upset Amazon is over this.

They are struggling to get their game department going, and before it even really gets underway it’s going to be used as a weapon in a lawsuit by a company that’s more scam than company.

I’m slightly curious if Skadden took this not just because they think they can absolutely loving destroy CIG, but that they might also somehow get a piece of amazon as well for collusion or something crazy.

I’m not a lawyer so just let me know if it’s not even possible. :3:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Whatever happened to Cymelion? Did he just vanish?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and I'll just say this: absolutely no one, no one inside CIG, or ex employees are going to be even joking about any of this poo poo

so unfortunately I won't be posting anything they are saying at bars either, because peeps are straight up scared of the repercussions

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

I am semi-retired, remember? I just finished several online courses on day trading, so I'm going to be focusing on that after this poo poo-show. Plus I expect that I'm going to be busy with interviews, streams, my Star Citizen book (talking to Amazon Publishing and others atm) etc.

:lol:

Getting amazon to publish your book is somehow hilarious poetic justice. :)

I’m glad for you! :)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If it's not formatted as a choose your own adventure book you're really dropping the ball.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/941098841146880002
https://twitter.com/TheAstroPub/status/940852670268628992

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

TheAgent posted:

and I'll just say this: absolutely no one, no one inside CIG, or ex employees are going to be even joking about any of this poo poo

so unfortunately I won't be posting anything they are saying at bars either, because peeps are straight up scared of the repercussions

Uh yeah, with the Ancient One's firm of The Damned I don't think anyone is going to want to touch this lest the all seeing eye's gaze should fall upon you and discorporate you to the infinite pain realm.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

Getting amazon to publish your book is somehow hilarious poetic justice. :)

I’m glad for you! :)

Forward by David Braben

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

Whatever happened to Cymelion? Did he just vanish?

Eaten by a crocodile, probably

:justNTthings:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

juggalo baby coffin posted:

why the gently caress did they go with cryengine anyway? its infamously bad for performance

unreal engine would've been a better bet

edit: i posted this in the other star citizen thread because im dumb

CryTek built Chris’ demo for free save a few little legally binding contractual obligations.

CR, having no clue how to program anything himself, and knowing he can finish the product itself in like 2 years after that, ran with it.

Because he’s got ideas that nobody else ever had!!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also do any of these dumb fuckers not realize that crytek not making money was probably because chris roberts wasn't paying his loving royalties to them

lol

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lmao at all this

what a week

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Eaten by a crocodile, probably

:justNTthings:
Or put a cracker up his clacker.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

TheAgent posted:

also do any of these dumb fuckers not realize that crytek not making money was probably because chris roberts wasn't paying his loving royalties to them

lol

I see no connection between the current situation and the financial misfortunes of companies that do business with CIG.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Abuminable posted:

It wouldn't matter if John Carmack hand-crafted an engine for them for free and granted them all rights. Chris and Co are still incapable of producing a game.

This.

We’ve learned over the years that their engine choice would have no bearing on their success or failure. Whether they used UE4 or CryTek or Unity or anything else... it was doomed because CR can’t manage a paper bag in a light breeze, and is too stupid to allow other people to help him do things right.

Part of being a great manager is knowing your own imitations and that you are not superwoman. You need the right people in the right places to help you as a team. CR set this up and has no idea how to function as a team, he only knows how to make demands.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

TheAgent posted:

lol

I mean,

SC was going to be a big deal right? Weren't they sending staff over in the beginning?

It was supposed to be this big AAA flagship return of the space genre. They must have (unwisely, I mean Chris guys) put a lot of resources into it hoping that CIG could make their big flagship Cryengine game and they could put more resources from Crytek into other projects instead of making a game.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crazypoops posted:

I mean,

SC was going to be a big deal right? Weren't they sending staff over in the beginning?

It was supposed to be this big AAA flagship return of the space genre. They must have (unwisely, I mean Chris guys) put a lot of resources into it hoping that CIG could make their big flagship Cryengine game and they could put more resources from Crytek into other projects instead of making a game.
I mean there was those rumors of unpaid royalties floating around since last year but it was in regards to the mocap

lol if CIG has just been offsetting the bill for every goddamn thing

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alf_pogs posted:

Unicorn Derek is my new favourite thing

What’s really creepy about all the Derek joke pictures is that they always use buff looking bodies. Albeit the unicorn is silly the body looks very buff. Same with the one in diapers. It’s like he’s wearing diapers but he’s also ripped with a six pack and forearms that can crush small animals.

This has always been the Derek meme paradox for me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If the Coutts loan was when the "smoke" from this project turned black and oily, this is when the flames became visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHzov33tgfg

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
I wonder if this is the reason they couldn't show anything from SQ42 last year despite being so close.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

The Titanic posted:

What’s really creepy about all the Derek joke pictures is that they always use buff looking bodies. Albeit the unicorn is silly the body looks very buff. Same with the one in diapers. It’s like he’s wearing diapers but he’s also ripped with a six pack and forearms that can crush small animals.

This has always been the Derek meme paradox for me.

Don't kinkshame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I love how this is turning into a "well Crytek didn't support CIG enough and Chris Roberts had to hire their poor engineers and didn't poach them at all like Erin did with TT games. when you think about it, CIG has already won this"