Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The runs per over spot fix seems like a tricky one. It depends on the bowler not over stepping or bowling a wide. If the batsman plays it behind square its his partner that calls him through. Also its very easy to score runs by accident through edges.

Its probably easier to spot fix an over from a spin bowler but then you have to worry about byes

Unless they just bet on runs scored off the bat ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

"Nice Garry" is the tell.

and someone named Garry will turn out to be the Silent Man. :tinfoil:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Roots been blessed with his calls at the toss.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Fanatic posted:

and someone named Garry will turn out to be the Silent Man. :tinfoil:

Wasn't Peter Nevill turfed for being too quiet? Also, allrounder can technically mean a keeper who can bat. And he's also a man! Makes you think!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Shaun Marsh and Mitch Marsh, potentially winning the ashes at their home ground the WACA in its final ever test. Brings a tear to the eye I tell you.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Speaking of Garry, Google released their Year in Search and look who turned up under "why is...":

quote:

Why is Pandora shutting down

Why is Club Penguin shutting down

Why is Australia Day on 26 January

Why is it called Good Friday

Why is Nathan Lyon Garry

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=american%20pie%20from%3AShaneWarne&src=typd

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Starc's overs: maiden, 13.

lol

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The Script must have said 13 runs in Starc's second over.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

We all have our heroes...

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Happy 150th, Cook!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Cook should retire

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

In isolation that happens to all batsmen (being beaten by pace) but boy is that the type of dismissal Cook didnt need

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Scylo posted:

Cook should retire

Yeah, he didn't pick that one up at all. Atleast he didn't fall over like Ricky did that time.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Told you it was Cook.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The runs per over spot fix seems like a tricky one. It depends on the bowler not over stepping or bowling a wide. If the batsman plays it behind square its his partner that calls him through. Also its very easy to score runs by accident through edges.

Its probably easier to spot fix an over from a spin bowler but then you have to worry about byes

Unless they just bet on runs scored off the bat ?

I know most of the bowling ones are for extras.

I don't know how a batsmen could spot fix other than giving his wicket away in an over. Maybe they could give a maiden over to a part time pie chucker.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Is Tom Moody involved in Cricket Australia at all? I know he was pushing for the coaches job at one stage, so maybe he has some backstage/admin role.

He is a World Cup winning Allrounder. He is Australian. He is also pretty quiet, one might even say silent.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mark Waugh would be my first guess. I've never believed the story about him only giving pitch info tbh.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BlindSite posted:

Mark Waugh would be my first guess. I've never believed the story about him only giving pitch info tbh.

Mark Waugh was never an "All Rounder". He was a batsman that would bowl a few overs.

Also seconded on the MWaugh and Warne "pitch and weather info" being bullshit. It is one of my major peeves with Cricket Australia about how that whole mess was handled.

Australia was riding the high horse on corruption and match fixing, pointing fingers at both India and Pakistan. Yet when India and Pakistan found their match fixers scapegoats, they banned them and took action. Australia on the other hand, swept it under the rug for years, and when it finally came to light, the players read a written statement, and have made no further comment on the story, nor have they ever been asked in the media. Oh, and one is now a national selector.

Way to show that match fixing/colluding with bookies doesn't pay Cricket Australia!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is Tom Moody involved in Cricket Australia at all? I know he was pushing for the coaches job at one stage, so maybe he has some backstage/admin role.

He is a World Cup winning Allrounder. He is Australian. He is also pretty quiet, one might even say silent.

It all lines up to be Moody. From WA, so perfect connections to help fix this test, coaches an IPL team so positioned to fix in the IPL too. No need for an ICC investigation, we've cracked it.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrigadierSensible posted:

Mark Waugh was never an "All Rounder". He was a batsman that would bowl a few overs.

Also seconded on the MWaugh and Warne "pitch and weather info" being bullshit. It is one of my major peeves with Cricket Australia about how that whole mess was handled.

Australia was riding the high horse on corruption and match fixing, pointing fingers at both India and Pakistan. Yet when India and Pakistan found their match fixers scapegoats, they banned them and took action. Australia on the other hand, swept it under the rug for years, and when it finally came to light, the players read a written statement, and have made no further comment on the story, nor have they ever been asked in the media. Oh, and one is now a national selector.

Way to show that match fixing/colluding with bookies doesn't pay Cricket Australia!

It's a good thing that one cricketing nation remains pure and refuses to dirty itself with the activities of filthy colonials, like match fixing or being good at cricket.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

BlindSite posted:

I don't know how a batsmen could spot fix other than giving his wicket away in an over. Maybe they could give a maiden over to a part time pie chucker.

*edges the last ball of the over for four, the crime syndicate you’re working for loses millions of dollars*

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
It was pretty funny when Ponting sang the Mark Waugh song to Mark Waugh.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Save us Gaz

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
England will make 500 and Australia will make 1000

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I mean we are pretty crap at batting so you never know but she does look pretty flat

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Stokes finally putting in a good performance for Canterbury in the opening T20.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I mean we are pretty crap at batting so you never know but she does look pretty flat

Usman's time to shine.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

THE FIX IS IN

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Smorgasbord posted:

THE FIX IS IN

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

A world cup winning allrounder just dropped a sitter

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Such a MMarsh thing to do lmao

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Renshaw would have caught that.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Why is that dunce at first slip anyway? :psyduck:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Root should retire

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

So Hazlewood bowls one of the best Australian overs of the series to Stoneman and really works him and Cummins rocks up and sprays one down the leg side that Root gets a glove on.

Funny game Cricket.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Make stonerman the captain imo

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Australia would be on top if not for MMarsh.
Clearly he was the match fixer, send him to jail.
Maxwell would have taken the catch.
Root is going to be so angry with himself

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Haze was really cranking up the speed before (for him), mid-140's more often than not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
This pitch is pretty great so far. It's got runs and teeth.