Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

I think they'd all still vote out Ben if he lost immunity, but I feel like they're setting him up to win it.

well I was wrong on the second part, let's see how the first goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahaha...nice manufactured drama. Did he or did he not get the idol?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol that they aren't watching him like a hawk

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
We're gonna get blindsided. They know we're tired of idol finding scenes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Kinda disappointed that this will probably be decided by yet another idol showing up lategame.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ben obviously has it, he's just goading them to vote for him.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, he found it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I loving hate idols and im sick and tired of them.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
*pretends to be shocked*

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Jeff should say it doesnt count because he played it before the votes, because that would be hilarious.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DurosKlav posted:

Jeff should say it doesnt count because he played it before the votes, because that would be hilarious.

That would have owned but this is great too

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Awww, see you Ashley :(

edit - Haha, Devon burned.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh my God they are so stupid.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Guess you guys should have kept a closer watch on Ben. Bet you dont make that mistake again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:lol: shot down

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Devin is a loving idiot

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm not sure Devon is getting that jury vote anymore, good move Devon

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Now I really do want Ben to win. Devon just blew up any chance he had.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:sigh: I am so bored of Mike and his delusions.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They aren't managing the jury at all. This is such a terrible group.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Codependent Poster posted:

They aren't managing the jury at all. This is such a terrible group.

On the plus side it's made the latter half of the season pretty entertaining.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's entertaining in a pretty trainwrecky sort of way. A lot of it just hinging on idol/immunity luck since everyone's social game is so awful.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Targeting Ashley ahead of Ben was insane but Chrissy got her way and lured Devon into maybe blowing up his game.

I kind of like this season of bad and capricious strategy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
This ep made it harder for me to have anyone that Id want to root to win though now. Episode kind of lowered my opinion of a couple contestants without raising my opinion of anyone still left.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
These people are all so bad at Survivor, goddam

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder if since it wasn’t a necklace, that Devon could have just tossed a vote Ben’s way anyway to save that jury vote?

I dunno, I agree with those who say it doesn’t really feel like there is a favorite to win amongst this group.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would be pretty bummed if anyone other than Earth Angel Devon won this season. Sad to see him turn on Ashley, but I can't blame him for wanting to sit next to Chrissy and Ryan at the end

For a while I've been vibing that Mike is somehow the winner, because he's getting a relatively kind story arc despite clearly playing a trainwreck game the editors couldn't hide if they wanted to. I could see him getting likability votes over Chrissy/Ryan and maybe even Devon, if there are a few jurors bitter toward him or skeptical of his game

What I'm trying to say is Dr. Mike Definitely Wins

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I’ve had the same thoughts about Mike. Maybe he’s just too nice to rip on or something. Although that hasn’t stopped Survivor before.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Mike has just played such a blatantly bad game and has been constantly in the minority in every alliance dynamic if he does make it to the final 3 I'd probably root for him. Aside from that I still dislike Ben and Chrissy so my rooting defaults to Devon even if I think he should have tried to avoid burning Ashley like that.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I feel like Ben is just on such a pedestal at this point in the minds of everybody out there that he's a clear win if he makes it to the end, despite having reneged on pretty much all of his alliances and being Survivor's most recent beneficiary of its infatuation with idols.

Aside from him, yeah...I guess Mike could get some comedy votes at the end? I do think the way Chrissy has ended up back in a power position is admirable but I suspect neither she nor Ryan will get any love from the jury at the end. Devon going in for a hug with Ashley at TC was a bitchmade move that he surely cringed at while watching the episode at home. However, the game is still winnable for him if he can articulate himself well and be sitting next to Ryan and Chrissy (which is absolutely the right alignment for him at this point) at FTC. Ashley was being pretty sour grapes all episode and she seems mild-mannered enough of a person to maybe cool off from that with some time. Or not.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's funny that Chrissy had what she thought was an incredibly clever scheme to burn Ben's potential new idol and vote Ashley instead but to the jury it just looks like they all panicked in the face of Ben's dramatic reveal so she loses all claim to it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not sure how I was rooting for Ashley to win the whole game since I'd written her off at the start of the merge, but here we are.

It's weird that somehow, I think everyone just got tired of Ben whipping out an idol. Maybe it's because Ben's more arrogant, but the vibe was way different compared to when Amanda whipped out that last minute idol in Micronesia.

The players are tired of last minute idols. The viewers are exhausted from advantage after advantage. Something about Survivor continually pushing advantages just isn't clicking anymore.

This season's been compared to Gabon, but at least Gabon had entertaining downfalls re: Ace/Randy, the force of chaos Sugar, and one of the most bizarre F3s ever. Mike, Chrissy and Ben are all putting me off because they're not entertaining.

Also, someone show these players that clip of Andrea denying Malcolm his idol by sitting on it so to drill into their dumb heads why you never leave the no.1 threat alone.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

The players are tired of last minute idols. The viewers are exhausted from advantage after advantage. Something about Survivor continually pushing advantages just isn't clicking anymore.

Nope. You're tired of it and people you agree with are tired of it. You'll find that it isn't a majority.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't know if it is a majority. But there were quite a few opinions in Game Changers that there were too many twists and advantages already. This season was slightly better, but Ben whipping out two idols in a row for me has a different vibe than Mike Holloway continuously winning immunity. At least if someone wins immunity you had the day to discuss alternate plans.

I mean yeah I might be in the minority. Personally this season hasn't done anything for me outside of the double episode, and Game Changers didn't do much for me either post-merge. I might just be getting tired of 'modern' Survivor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We got more than one confessional about how the group wasn’t going to keep an eye on Ben. They deserved Ben finding another idol.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I might just be getting tired of 'modern' Survivor.

I guess. I admit the next season looks like it’s going to be super gimmicky. :(

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The thing is, nothing has really changed about the way Survivor handles idols. What's changed is that people are using them more this season. A lot of the time, when someone gets an idol, they wind up sitting on it for weeks. This year, everybody's throwing them at the wall.

Don't know why people think Devon screwed up tonight. He basically traded one goat for two and it's not like Ashley wasn't going home anyway. If she wants to be a bitter betty about losing the game, that's on her; Devon tried to extend the olive branch and can totally say that at the end. It's day 36; three days is not enough time to poison the jury against someone they left the game loving.

Devon also made good and drat sure Ben played his idol, and then still didn't vote the way he wanted, making Ben look less powerful in front of the jury. I understand being mad at the others for not hounding Ben to make sure he doesn't find an idol, especially Mike and Chrissy, but Devon's entire game is predicated on him being laid back and in everyone's ear all the time. He's not going to change what has worked ridiculously well so far (STILL hasn't had a soul write his name down).

Has anyone in the history of Survivor been wrong as much as Dr. Mike? I feel like the second he says something is/isn't going to happen, you can reliably bet on the opposition.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I'll be honest in saying that I like when people I'm rooting for are the ones who end up with immunities and advantages. It sucks though when somebody irritating like Ben just kinda Magoo's his way into padding his already overrated resume by taking advantage of a gamehack.

However, in this situation, the onus was definitely on the other members to watch him like a loving hawk. They all know the deal with idols. If they were paranoid about individually volunteering to follow him and around and thus letting other members solidify alliances, they could have gone as a group. It was just pure laziness + possibly some arrogance and they totally deserved the outcome.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Survivor's changed the way it uses idols by having more of them (since you get more three-tribe games now), slipping more clues to them at rewards, 'super idols' and apparently letting people play them before the votes are even cast now. It's one thing to go in with the idol around your neck since it's a 'will they won't they' situation, but letting people pre-insure themselves is another.

I'd also say having two camps with the idols buried in the exact same place, but I remember China also did that.

I don't really mind Ben winning; he's played a decent game, though he's aided by a cast of Redemption Island-level bad players.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 14, 2017

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't really mind Ben winning; he's played a decent game, though he's aided by a cast of Redemption Island-level bad players.

Hey now, that cast was extremely competent (at guaranteeing a win for anointed one Rob Mariano).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Survivor's changed the way it uses idols by having more of them (since you get more three-tribe games now), slipping more clues to them at rewards, 'super idols' and apparently letting people play them before the votes are even cast now. It's one thing to go in with the idol around your neck since it's a 'will they won't they' situation, but letting people pre-insure themselves is another.

What’s so bad about this? The only difference between playing it before rather than after the votes is the cracks form at this tribal council. People go back to the beach potentially miffed at their allies rather than focused entirely on the guy they voted for. It’s good for the audience.

• Locked thread