Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's easier to list what Fox stuff Disney doesn't own now which I believe is only Fox News and Fox Sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Next week on The Orville: The Orville is sent to make a deal with 6 plucky space adventurers to retrieve an artifact that will mean peace between two long warring civilizations. The obly question is can they trust this Star Lord and his companions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

Next week on The Orville: The Orville is sent to make a deal with 6 plucky space adventurers to retrieve an artifact that will mean peace between two long warring civilizations. The obly question is can they trust this Star Lord and his companions.

I'd watch it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The OUTRAGEOUS Starlord

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you guys really need to update your antitrust regulations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

nothing wrong with the regulations, just wrong with the regulators.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If Fox News ends up dying I will chalk that up as a win in Trumps favor.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

double nine posted:

you guys really need to update your antitrust regulations.

I for one welcome our new mouse overlords [/meme]

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kibayasu posted:

I for one welcome our new mouse overlords [/meme]

I'm glad paid memes need to be marked as such now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

If Fox News ends up dying I will chalk that up as a win in Trumps favor.

While they have been losing viewers in some respects, it isn't very likely to go away unfortunately. Unless Murdoch just takes the money and runs.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Looks like Disney owns this show now

Does this mean Alara can become a Disney princess? :syoon:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I doubt Disney will change much, if anything. Besides, they seem pretty good about "getting" things and not loving them up. God knows they did a gently caress sight better than George Lucas when it came to figuring out what new Star Wars movies should be like.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let's not go crazy. They did a better job in the way a cargo cult makes something more like an old classic airbase than a modern military making a lovely airbase.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Let's not go crazy. They did a better job in the way a cargo cult makes something more like an old classic airbase than a modern military making a lovely airbase.

George Lucas was following the Star Trek plan, where you take your fun action series and turn it into a boring UN hearing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

George Lucas was following the Star Trek plan, where you take your fun action series and turn it into a boring UN hearing.

Isn't that the reverse of the star trek plan

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The star trek plan was taking your fun UN hearing and turning it into a boring action series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't that the reverse of the star trek plan

The original Star Trek plan. They later changed it back into an action fan wank with dune buggies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Unkempt posted:

Years ago I used to know a guy who was very into gender politics and one of the things he used to talk about was how phallic many structures designed by men were; towers, skyscrapers, that sort of thing, and very few were shaped like the female genitals. But he also talked about rockets, which I thought was absurd - because how on earth could you make a spaceship in the shape of a vagina? How would that even work?

The Royal Navy managed it. Here's a photo of HMS Repulse under construction during WW1. It's a striking combination of yonnic and phallic imagery.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The original Star Trek plan. They later changed it back into an action fan wank with dune buggies.

Star Trek was a boring UN conversation from the start though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kibayasu posted:

Star Trek was a boring UN conversation from the start though.

As someone who lives in Taiwan, let me tell you guys that governmental policy debates here do occasionally look like the Kirk/Gorn episode. I really feel like I missed out during my years living in the U.S. It's not real democracy until punches have been thrown.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Disney just kind of turns everything into a competently made franchise gruel of the Marvel variety, where nothing is offensively bad. A bunch of good guys who quip nonstop fight a big CGI thing and learn the value of friendship. There is no dramatic tension because the characters never stop spouting one liners, even when something important should be happening.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mantis42 posted:

Disney just kind of turns everything into a competently made franchise gruel of the Marvel variety, where nothing is offensively bad. A bunch of good guys who quip nonstop fight a big CGI thing and learn the value of friendship. There is no dramatic tension because the characters never stop spouting one liners, even when something important should be happening.
I mean... you've always got DC for what you want, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Pointing out that they make superhero comic book-based movies which a bunch of ultimately inconsequential action dreck with predictable plots and little dramatic tension really isn't a criticism of my position that Disney "gets" the franchises it controls and what makes them what they are in the way you think it might be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Making Deadpool more friendly wouldn't surprise me. There were a endless amounts of people super angry because they couldn't bring their kids to see Deadpool because it was rated R.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Making Deadpool more friendly wouldn't surprise me. There were a endless amounts of people super angry because they couldn't bring their kids to see Deadpool because it was rated R.

My buddy brought his 8-year-old daughter to see it and was just like, "oh well, I guess that was a mistake! Don't tell mom, and don't quote that movie at school, sweetie."

Who actually gets pissed off about something like that? We all nearly pissed ourselves laughing about it.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

Just finished watching both seasons of The Orville and Star Trek Discovery, and man it's like night and day

I don't think Star Trek has to be light and tone, but STD constantly feels like watching someone try to fit a square peg through a round hole. None of the characters are that memorable or likable (except for Michael's roommate, and the fact that she's the only member of the crew who isn't an rear end in a top hat is treated like a joke), and even when the season picks up in the second half it still just feels like a less good version of The Expanse.

I think The Orville does a better job of having a likable cast of distinct characters, and taps into Star Trek's core appeal more effectively. Star Trek has always been built around discovery and most attempts to turn it into a generic sci-fi action franchise just come off as stiff and derivative. I'm not going to say that Orville is must-see TV but it manages to be a light, thoughtful sci-fi series with a message that isn't centered around blowing poo poo up, and that's something I could really use in 2017.

Star Trek has always been built around discovery, but Discovery isn't built around Star Trek :gonk:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Good (or bad?) news!

quote:

Disney CEO Bob Iger has addressed the future of Deadpool, confirming Fox's film franchise will remain R-rated following Disney's acquisition of 21st Century Fox.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PT6A posted:

My buddy brought his 8-year-old daughter to see it and was just like, "oh well, I guess that was a mistake! Don't tell mom, and don't quote that movie at school, sweetie."

Who actually gets pissed off about something like that? We all nearly pissed ourselves laughing about it.

The kind of person who thinks comic book = kids so every comic book related thing must be for kids.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DaveKap posted:

I mean... you've always got DC for what you want, right?

No one wants that.

PT6A posted:

Pointing out that they make superhero comic book-based movies which a bunch of ultimately inconsequential action dreck with predictable plots and little dramatic tension really isn't a criticism of my position that Disney "gets" the franchises it controls and what makes them what they are in the way you think it might be.

I think Star Wars is basically heading down the same path and I'm salty

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

The kind of person who thinks comic book = kids so every comic book related thing must be for kids.

It's true though, all of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I think Star Wars is basically heading down the same path and I'm salty

It really depends on The Last Jedi.

ANH was very much that way, TFA followed in the same spirit to a ridiculous degree (perhaps worthy of criticism for just how close it followed) and Rogue One wasn't really like that at all, but it was also constrained because everyone already knew what the endpoint of the film was anyway.

Cojawfee posted:

I get why people make the mistake of taking their kid to see Deadpool, I don't get why it would be a cause for getting pissed off instead of laughing about an embarrassing, stupid mistake.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cojawfee posted:

And does zero research on movies they are taking their kids to? Even a single trailer would be enough to know Deadpool wasn't kid friendly, and they had a marketing blitz, everywhere, telling everyone how filthy the movie would be. Like... drat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PT6A posted:

I get why people make the mistake of taking their kid to see Deadpool, I don't get why it would be a cause for getting pissed off instead of laughing about an embarrassing, stupid mistake.

Aleph Null posted:

And does zero research on movies they are taking their kids to? Even a single trailer would be enough to know Deadpool wasn't kid friendly, and they had a marketing blitz, everywhere, telling everyone how filthy the movie would be. Like... drat.

Do you guys live in the US? Ignorant parents love to not know what their kids are doing and then get mad at anyone other than themselves for allowing it to happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This sounds like a serious problem, if only movies had some sort of system for letting parents have a hint regarding their content or age-appropriateness.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

PT6A posted:

It really depends on The Last Jedi.
From another thread:

Tae posted:

Last Jedi is basically "we saw your bingo cards, gently caress your bingo cards."
This is probably the best description I've seen of the film and I'm actually excited because of that.
It also helps that the director apparently did such a good job, Disney said "okay you get your own trilogy now."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

This is probably the best description I've seen of the film and I'm actually excited because of that.
It also helps that the director apparently did such a good job, Disney said "okay you get your own trilogy now."

That sounds promising. The tomatometer shows good, but I haven't read any of the reviews because I want to see it without too many preconceptions.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PT6A posted:

That sounds promising. The tomatometer shows good, but I haven't read any of the reviews because I want to see it without too many preconceptions.

Be careful. I got maybe spoiled by someone’s red text in another thread, so there are definitely assholes around here trying to ruin it for everyone because they’re assholes.

You should probably just avoid the Internet, really.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Usually Fyad has a big spoiler in it's forum name. I thought it was a joke a couple years ago, but it wasn't. So just stick to bookmarks until you see the movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Usually Fyad has a big spoiler in it's forum name. I thought it was a joke a couple years ago, but it wasn't. So just stick to bookmarks until you see the movie.

And don’t look at red text. Or avatars at all, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Phylodox posted:

And don’t look at red text. Or avatars at all, probably.

It's not a huge deal, I got spoiled on the big thing last time round. There's a difference between that and going in having read critics' opinions of the whole film, down to theme, tone, cinematography, etc.