Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The NFL Network thing sounds like a case of Boys Will Be Boys™, or alternatively, Just Locker Room Talk™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Of course the solution to the Scott Hall solution is to fire that person and then have someone eat their contract on live tv months later.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Of course the solution to the Scott Hall solution is to fire that person and then have someone eat their contract on live tv months later.

dammit you beat me to this

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Mind_Taker posted:

Just Locker Room Talk™

Hah gotta love some Tradition NFL Locker Room Talk™. It's wrong for us Outsiders to weigh in, as we don't understand that pro football has a long tradition of so-called "jock jests", where one might do something wild like calling up your teammate and leaving a voicemail where you tell them, "Hey, wassup, you half-friend of the family piece of poo poo. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. I’ll poo poo in your fuckin’ mouth. I’m gonna slap your fuckin’ mouth, I’m gonna slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. gently caress you, you’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”

Who are we to judge, really? Which one of us hasn't personally bullied a friend or acquaintance from work into the psych ward?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That 100% sounds like Donovan. He's guilty as gently caress.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Richie Incognito still plays professional football on an NFL team.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

EvanTH posted:

Hah gotta love some Tradition NFL Locker Room Talk™. It's wrong for us Outsiders to weigh in, as we don't understand that pro football has a long tradition of so-called "jock jests", where one might do something wild like calling up your teammate and leaving a voicemail where you tell them, "Hey, wassup, you half-friend of the family piece of poo poo. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. I’ll poo poo in your fuckin’ mouth. I’m gonna slap your fuckin’ mouth, I’m gonna slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. gently caress you, you’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”

Who are we to judge, really? Which one of us hasn't personally bullied a friend or acquaintance from work into the psych ward?

EvanTH posted:

Richie Incognito still plays professional football on an NFL team.

To be honest he feels kind of quaint in 2017.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

General Dog posted:

To be honest he feels kind of quaint in 2017.

I mean, here in 2017 we all eye-roll pretty hard when we read that someone "received death threats" and was the "victim of targeted harassment" because they got in a flame war on social media and someone told them to log off and kill themselves, but Richie Incognito should maybe-probably be in jail for a bit. That whole story was some kinda perverse extrapolation of cruel grade-school bullying, some Moe from Calvin & Hobbes behavior, but it's sorta like, once you're an adult beating some dude's rear end, stealing his lunch money* then saying aww c'mon it's funny it's okay because we're friends and he's laughing too ISN'T HE when an authority figure comes by, that's all crime once you're an adult. Incognito seems like a seriously hosed up dude who will stay that way because his profession still enables it and lucratively rewards it so ehh whatever gently caress him he's forever the biggest waste of a cool name in sports history

Football's got some problems.

*forcing Martin and others to spend several thousand dollars on food for teammates was part of the story.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

exploded mummy posted:

I thought the Scott Hall solution would be to fire them and bring in new actors and claim it's the same guys.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lindsay McCormick has more details on the harassment at NFL Network

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Mentioned in the NBA thread but I think it is worth cross-posting:

https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/940972331870146561

They also mention fans being able to cast games, which I'm pretty pumped for.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's cool except for twitch chat being a general toxic wasteland 99% of the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EvanTH posted:

I mean, here in 2017 we all eye-roll pretty hard when we read that someone "received death threats" and was the "victim of targeted harassment" because they got in a flame war on social media and someone told them to log off and kill themselves, but Richie Incognito should maybe-probably be in jail for a bit. That whole story was some kinda perverse extrapolation of cruel grade-school bullying, some Moe from Calvin & Hobbes behavior, but it's sorta like, once you're an adult beating some dude's rear end, stealing his lunch money* then saying aww c'mon it's funny it's okay because we're friends and he's laughing too ISN'T HE when an authority figure comes by, that's all crime once you're an adult. Incognito seems like a seriously hosed up dude who will stay that way because his profession still enables it and lucratively rewards it so ehh whatever gently caress him he's forever the biggest waste of a cool name in sports history

Football's got some problems.

*forcing Martin and others to spend several thousand dollars on food for teammates was part of the story.

I am in no way defending Incognito but isn't making rooks pay for a meal a common thing in a bunch of sports? Seems like the least of his crimes

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

iospace posted:

That's cool except for twitch chat being a general toxic wasteland 99% of the time.

If you don't like Twitch Chat you don't like the internet or people. Which is fine and a supremely defensible position, but there's nothing exceptional about Twitch chat specifically as compared to the rest of the internet. It provides a nice sense of watching something with folks even when you're alone, and you get the crowd-like stream-of-subconsciousness and immediate reactions. They get pumped when they see a boob, even more pumped when someone has a dog and they laugh when someone falls down, simple stuff.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EvanTH posted:

If you don't like Twitch Chat you don't like the internet or people. Which is fine and a supremely defensible position, but there's nothing exceptional about Twitch chat specifically as compared to the rest of the internet. It provides a nice sense of watching something with folks even when you're alone, and you get the crowd-like stream-of-subconsciousness and immediate reactions. They get pumped when they see a boob, even more pumped when someone has a dog and they laugh when someone falls down, simple stuff.

Twitch chat is like youtube comments, only in real time.

Mind you, it only really gets bad once it hits a critical mass (read: moves too fast to be moderated properly), and some of the smaller ones with active moderation is fine. I'm more concerned given how these things tend to go that it might end up with the same hardcore edgelords you see on youtube.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

Mentioned in the NBA thread but I think it is worth cross-posting:

https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/940972331870146561

They also mention fans being able to cast games, which I'm pretty pumped for.

That dude who was mashing buttons on a disconnected controller while live streaming a UFC PPV was a prophet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

You basically summed up my thoughts on twitch chat exactly, I'm glad someone else feels like this. It's just a bunch of simple people (myself included) experiencing the same thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I am in no way defending Incognito but isn't making rooks pay for a meal a common thing in a bunch of sports? Seems like the least of his crimes

It's still a pretty lovely hazing thing to do, especially when you're sticking a $15,000 bill on a guy making the league minimum.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Yes and no.

It's common to make the high draft picks take the vets out for a big meal across most sports, as part of a humbling process. You'll also see it happen when someone gets a big deal, to remind them that their success was due to the team not just themselves. But you stick the person who just got millions with that five-digit bill because they can now afford it. You don't stick the guy making the minimum with that bill because that's a month's salary for him. There's other ways of keeping the rooks on the lower end of the salary scale humble, beyond the very real fear that the dream could end at any moment.

Sticking the high profile player with the bill can also show some true colors, such as when Ryan Leaf threw a temper tantrum when it happened to him. Needless to say it was the first of many red flags for Leaf.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Also in the real world, the best way to team build is for the vets to buy a dinner for the rookies and kinda show them the ropes and whatnot in the hopes that they would then pay it forward to future generations when they are the old guard themselves

So basically what they do is the literal opposite of what they're trying to accomplish because....reasons??

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shhhhhhh be quiet Ginger.

edit: I literally have tears in my eyes i'm crying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Whatever happened to that imminent firing of about 75 ESPN employees? I haven't heard anything about who is getting axed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Whatever happened to that imminent firing of about 75 ESPN employees? I haven't heard anything about who is getting axed.

sounded like a lot of it was behind-the-scenes staff

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

That it happens to be fairly common does not make it any less lovely and dumb.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I've heard of teams doing "OK everyone put a credit card in a hat and we'll pick one" but straight up jacking a dude for a huge dinner is awful

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So are we going to get an a la carte ESPN/FOX sports streaming service now?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

General Dog posted:

So are we going to get an a la carte ESPN/FOX sports streaming service now?

Fox sports is still owned by the Murdoch's

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

espn is indeed picking up the regional sports channels fox owns

whatever it takes to keep the brand going

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I used to have Sling, but dropped it, I wonder how this will change things. They have two plans, one for ABC/ESPN, the other for NBC/Fox. It extended past sports, but that was what I mostly cared about. If ESPN and Fox regional sports are all under the same banner, then you could get one plan that covers like 90% of sports out there. I guess FS1/FS2, and NBC sports would still be missing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexo posted:

Fox sports is still owned by the Murdoch's

Ah, I didn't realize that. So network tv FOX, FS1, FS2 (and Fox News?) are all still under the old umbrella. Is there a good breakdown anywhere of what Disney is getting and what they aren't?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There's the press release from Disney

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

General Dog posted:

Ah, I didn't realize that. So network tv FOX, FS1, FS2 (and Fox News?) are all still under the old umbrella. Is there a good breakdown anywhere of what Disney is getting and what they aren't?

Essentially, Disney owns, all of the RSN(Regonal Sports Networks, I.E Fox Sports Midwest) Which I would guess will be branded with the ESPN brand. And Now Disney has a majority controlling interest in Hulu. But yeah, Fox still keeps their Broadcast Network, FS(*insert Number*) and Fox News.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

True, but the story was he kept it up going into Martin's second year. It stopped being excessive rookie hazing and became just the way he treated the dude.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The relevance of the Fox regionals has mostly died out over the past five years with Comcast/Time Warner/Cox trying to use local sports teams as the way to establish networks and spending a lot to do it, and just in general they've been only keeping rights when they could lowball. ESPN is picking up something practically dead already. It's too bad, they were super important in making sports accessible nation wide.

I wonder if this means that ESPN can flex things from these networks now?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Considering the service is called ESPN Plus, no I don’t think linear channels will be offered.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Rick posted:

The relevance of the Fox regionals has mostly died out over the past five years with Comcast/Time Warner/Cox trying to use local sports teams as the way to establish networks and spending a lot to do it, and just in general they've been only keeping rights when they could lowball. ESPN is picking up something practically dead already. It's too bad, they were super important in making sports accessible nation wide.

depends on where you live, in some markets (Dallas, STL/KC, Twin Cities, Ohio) where either there's multiple cable companies or the local ones weren't interested in sports networks, the FSNs are still a big ratings deal. yeah they got bounced out in NYC by the major teams owning their own networks and in Chicago by Comcast, and in LA they're facing a tough go because of Spectrum, but in other markets they're going strong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rick posted:

This is definitely not the case for Wisconsin and Minnesota. Brewers and Bucks are both carried by Fox Sports Wisconsin, which is technically a sub-feed of Fox Sports North (which allows occasional Wild and Minnesota college hockey games to be carried). I know FS-North also carries Timberwolves as well. Time Warner, before the merger, created its own RSN in Wisconsin but it got all the scraps left over (which really isn't much). They have a Packers show (and claim they're the official cable partner of the Packers) but no one really watches it because the main one is on WTMJ-TV.

I know Fox Sports Tennessee carries both Predators and Grizzlies too.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I mean the Cavs, Reds, and Indians are all still on one of two Fox Sports channels in Ohio, along with the Blue Jackets. Thats a big deal because local blackout rules still apply for baseball (not sure about NBA blackout rules), meaning I must be a Fox Sports Ohio subscriber (aka a cable subscriber) to watch those teams in one form or another. That fact alone makes the Fox regional channels lucrative. And the amount of MLB teams that are carried on Fox owned stations is still pretty high. 15 teams are aired on Fox owned stations, including the Yankees (YES Network is 80% owned by Fox).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Edward Mass posted:

Considering the service is called ESPN Plus, no I don’t think linear channels will be offered.

That’s what they called their regional over the air broadcasts back in the day. That used to be how third tier Big Ten games were broadcast in local markets (and I think maybe on PPV if you were out of market) before the Big Ten Network. So all the Iowa football games that weren’t good enough to get on ESPN or ESPN2 (and basically all Iowa basketball games outside of tournaments) were broadcast on a local station under the ESPN+ banner

Rick posted:

This is definitely you taking a thing that is true for the teams you care about and trying to extrapolate it to the rest of the country.

The Lakers and Dodgers both did this but it’s not even universially true for Southern California. The Clippers and both OC teams air on regional fox channels, as do the Padres

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

depends on where you live, in some markets (Dallas, STL/KC, Twin Cities, Ohio) where either there's multiple cable companies or the local ones weren't interested in sports networks, the FSNs are still a big ratings deal. yeah they got bounced out in NYC by the major teams owning their own networks and in Chicago by Comcast, and in LA they're facing a tough go because of Spectrum, but in other markets they're going strong.

fox now owns 80% of yes

by far that's the most valuable regional network going to disney