Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Genuinely did not think we were gonna see Vera again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That felt like such an odd place to leave things. We have been introduced to the elite 1% of 1% who run the world and we're going back to a conflict with a local drug dealer?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

was he listening to fiona apple

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So all the time travel stuff was just Elliot reversing 5/9 and "going back in time." I love it.

And I thought that was Vera at the end, but it's been so long since I've seen him or heard his voice I wasn't 100% sure.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

e: ^^^^^

I guess the reset theory was correct, but in a different way. The 5/9 hack is going to be reversed like it never happened and Vera is back. :v:

oatgan posted:

was he listening to fiona apple

Yes, that was the end of Criminal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

J33uk posted:

Oh cool it’s Kill Bill

That was a great moment, especially since they immediately killed that guy and everyone he rolled in with.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Vera has to be backed by some other Illuminati type person, White Rose isn't going to let some low level POS threaten Elliot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PhazonLink posted:

Vera has to be backed by some other Illuminati type person, White Rose isn't going to let some low level POS threaten Elliot.

It's gotta be something more than just Vera by himself. Because yeah, White Rose would have Joey Badass out there to dispatch Vera in no time.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I just want to post a sound. It’s a good sound, but if you zoom in it’s actually a lot of screaming.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Anyone notice the picture of Putin all over the wall at the end as Darlene walked by? Pretty deliberate gently caress you to Putin courtesy of Esmail. He really really hates that picture and had it banned.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
On a more lighter/less theory crating note, has any one tried emailing the protonmail address that appeared?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dangerous Person posted:

Genuinely did not think we were gonna see Vera again

did I miss a post credits scene

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

did I miss a post credits scene
check if you want
After the short credits there was a sequence with Darlene walking with a hooker as they talked (I think they just met as Darlene got off the train). A car almost runs them over at a crosswalk and kind of lingers as they walk away. They walk a bit and talk, mostly about the 5/9 hack/e-corp and how capitalism is hosed. They get to the stoop outside of Elliot's apartment and the hooker bounces as she notices the same car pull up. Like 4 guys get out and walk up to Darlene. The guy in front is Vera.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The axe scene made me think of the movie they watched and came out with last year. The bourgeoisie murderer one.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
That, along with the entire second half of the season, was definitely written to be a potential series finale.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn. What a loving show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, that was gripping television. Every hair on my body is standing up straight haha

Also the music choices in this show continue to be some of the best I've ever heard in my life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sb9fWcJk14

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Really want to rewatch that scene from last season where Darlene killed that woman in the pool, cos what Dom said to her this episode pretty clearly echoed that.

Poor Dom. She still has Alexa though!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the timely "the Russians hired you to hack the DNC" bit when Elliot confronted Grant.

I also loved all of it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Boo, Vera

Everything else, though, holy poo poo

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Esmail is probably bringing Vera back to force Eliot to confront the fact that undoing 5/9 changes jack poo poo.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Loved that part with the hooker straight out of a Doug Stanhope sketch

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the darlene-hooker scene was also another long unbroken cut

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Vera is a Bad Murderer and all but his actor is as charismatic as everyone in this cast and I'm very excited to see him gently caress up Elliot's life/become Elliot's disciple.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
hahaha I've been wondering when the gently caress Vera would show up again. I'm really interested in what they're going to do with him, the scope of the show is so big that it seems weird to bring back a small time drug dealer when there's a global conspiracy going on, and I doubt that Vera is affiliated with the Dark Army.

e: Interview with Sam Esmail about Season 4: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...medium=referral

- The plan is still to end at Season 5
- Seasons 2 & 3 were like The Empire Strikes Back, Seasons 4 & 5 are going to be more like Return of the Jedi
- Season 4 is going to be narrower in focus and back to basics like Season 1 was, focusing on Elliot hacking the real elites running the world
- Vera is going to be a critical part of the new season
- Esmail is still going to be directing every episode
- Elliot and Mr Robot are finally going to be working as a team
- Esmail isn't sure if Irving will be in Season 4
- The reason why Season 4 starts filming in November is because he's filming a show for Amazon early next year

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 14, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

HorseRenoir posted:

- Seasons 2 & 3 were like The Empire Strikes Back

All the way down to, "I am your father."

quote:

- Season 4 is going to be narrower in focus and back to basics like Season 1 was, focusing on Elliot hacking the real elites running the world

I am very excited by this. Elliot the Operator will be very entertaining.

Edit:
theme_of_season_four.jpg:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember Vera but I don't remember what happened to him after season 1. Did he skip town after that prison break?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

I remember Vera but I don't remember what happened to him after season 1. Did he skip town after that prison break?

Yeah, the prison break is the last time we saw him.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yay to all of this except

HorseRenoir posted:

- Esmail is still going to be directing every episode
Boooo to this. Esmail has an eye for good poo poo and this finale was dope as gently caress (props to the sound direction, as always) but he can't do entire seasons without burning good ideas out too quickly.
Just a quick example, here is one of the best shots in this episode and the entire season:

And yet... he couldn't hold the camera on the actor throughout the entire sentence. What was an intensely disturbing, scary, and emotional shot/line of dialog got itself cut to show Dom doing what Dom had been doing for a couple minutes now: crying. What would have made a perfect gif is, instead, what I have posted for you.

It's going to be a shame if Irving isn't around for next season. He really made Season 3 better.

Edit: gently caress I just love this goddamn actor so much. The way he stutters here trips me the gently caress out it's so good:

Edit 2: Oh yeah, so Price snapped Angela out of her stupor. At this point I'm convinced that all white rose did was show the fish in the tank dying and then bringing it back to life. I wonder if they'll even bother going back to the time travel and alternate dimension bullshit in season 4. It's played out at this point.

Edit 3: Now to complain about the bad editing!
For a little bit there I thought there would be some correlation behind whether the ferris wheel was going up or down and what Mr Robot and Elliot were talking about. Turns out it was just bad editing.
That was some amazing Twin Peaks Season 3 graphics we got for Santiago's axe wound.

At least it was consistently bad every time they cut to him.
For all the time they spent showing Irving trying to clean his fingers of blood, I'm not sure how he could've so egregiously missed a spot:

This one isn't a complaint, I thought it was a funny joke.
I also found it funny that at one point Mr. Robot has to tell Elliot to look behind him. Like, uh, what?

Okay I'll stop :goonsay:ing

One.. more... edit....

HorseRenoir posted:

- The reason why Season 4 starts filming in November is because he's filming a show for Amazon early next year
Starts filming in November... of 2018? Or started filming last month? That's wild if Season 4 is going to be a 2019 show.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 14, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Bobby Cannavale is like the master of playing scary-as-gently caress rage monsters to the point that I hope the guy is a saint IRL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJT3xZ9C5Ew

Goddamn, I wasn't expecting M83, Fiona Apple and Vera? Esmail, you're a mensch. :swoon:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It's been a minute since I've seen season one. I remember the Vera plot, but can anyone remind of the details? I seem to remember it like this:

Elliot had Vera thrown in jail in an ill-fated attempt to protect Shayla. Vera's crew shows up and first nabs Shayla at the diner and then eventually holds Darlene hostage until Elliot does the prison break hack to spring Vera. Elliot successfully springs Vera and the dude promptly bails but not before revealing that Shayla has likely been dead since the diner. It was a gut punch, more so because it played on the theme that Elliot's hacks to "protect people" have really ugly blow back consequences.

Is that accurate, or am I completely mis-remembering it?

Finale was super good and I really want to see where they go with Irving next season.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully not with "he meant it when he said he was taking a sabbatical from the DA (Bobby Cannavale is filming something else)".

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

DaveKap posted:

I wonder if they'll even bother going back to the time travel and alternate dimension bullshit in season 4. It's played out at this point.

No, I don't think Whiterose and the Dark Army are going to suddenly be written out of the show.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Mameluke posted:

Yeah Vera is a Bad Murderer and all but his actor is as charismatic as everyone in this cast and I'm very excited to see him gently caress up Elliot's life/become Elliot's disciple.

This.

I don't see the Vera plot going in an interesting direction in any other show, but Mr. Robot does everything so loving good I'm sure it'll be one of the best plots on all of TV next year (or 2019!).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I don't even remember Vera.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mameluke posted:

Hopefully not with "he meant it when he said he was taking a sabbatical from the DA (Bobby Cannavale is filming something else)".

He's starring in Sam Esmail's new show for Amazon. (Which is, incidentally, why we're not getting another season of this for a while.)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean that's a solid indicator that he will be back, if he and Sam have a good enough working relationship.

There are a couple characters I'd love to see pop back up, even if only for a cold open flashback or check-in. How's Mr. Sutherland doing in the hospital? What does Scott Knowles feel about Tyrell's vindication and rise to CTO?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Mameluke posted:

How's Mr. Sutherland doing in the hospital?

Was Sutherland the guy who was in the car with Wellick's wife and baby?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I don't think we'll be seeing Irving much, if at all, in Season 4. The "sabbatical" sounded like a convenient way to write him out of the show for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hatelull posted:

Was Sutherland the guy who was in the car with Wellick's wife and baby?

Yeah, he's the Wellick family's Irving.

• Locked thread