Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

credit to sniep for finding this monstrosity

new R2 droid lookin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

new R2 droid lookin good
it was the red r5 in Star Wars that broke for no reason in a big puff of smoke though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

it was the red r5 in Star Wars that broke for no reason in a big puff of smoke though

canonically, it did it because r2 asked very nicely

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

ufarn posted:

i love the part where apple people brought up the fact that the imac pro can run firewatch at 60 fps :captainpop:

i get your point but i have a pretty decent PC and its nowhere close to running firewatch at 60fps because it's very poorly optimised

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i can't believe they still haven't optimized their unity game

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
apparently according to a pro user, the imac pro is... good?

https://twitter.com/tldtoday/status/940786793791631360

https://twitter.com/tldtoday/status/941022997711699969

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
it's probably a good thing it's that quick since it'll throttle itself to oblivion if it has to run that hot for any longer

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

infernal machines posted:

it's probably a good thing it's that quick since it'll throttle itself to oblivion if it has to run that hot for any longer

yeah I think that the two minutes was the length of time it took to fuse and melt through the earth's crust

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the imac pro is epic, i might buy one

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if it’s anything like the protos I saw it has a huge fan in there

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

It's going to sound like a Dyson hand dryer but there's no reason it can't handle 100% load with the amount of heatsink they crammed in there. The lack of expansion sucks for "power users" but they're trying to keep people out of the guts of thing and rely on customer-friendly external expansion and yall are whiny nerds about it

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NEED MORE MILK posted:

i thought abortions were illegal in south korea

lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
whiny IT nerds are wrong again, color me surprised

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It's going to sound like a Dyson hand dryer but there's no reason it can't handle 100% load with the amount of heatsink they crammed in there. The lack of expansion sucks for "power users" but they're trying to keep people out of the guts of thing and rely on customer-friendly external expansion and yall are whiny nerds about it

then explain this extremely real file photo

:smugmrgw:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this would work in practice if external gpus ran as fast as they do in a regular setup and if apple actually offered an official solution for doing so

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The built-in gpus are extremely good for real work like video editing which has already been attested to here so who gives a poo poo you big nerd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

apropo of nothing, Apple is currently making one million iPhones per day.

this fuckin blows me away

like this is a massive combination of parallel and serial manufacturing.. i wanna know how parallel it gets? like 10,000 currently being made at any one point in time or what

that’s incredible

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

this would work in practice if external gpus ran as fast as they do in a regular setup and if apple actually offered an official solution for doing so

Apple will be officially supporting external GPUs “soon” AFAIK. you can get thunderbolt PCIe enclosures that are officially sanctioned by Apple, and they’ve put the ability to handle to handle GPUs being added/removed at runtime in metal IIRC.

but thunderbolt only brings out 4 pcie lanes or whatever so they don’t have the bus throughput of an internal pcie x16 GPU.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Modern GPUs only have started saturating 8x lanes worth of PCIe 2.0, 16 is a waste and why when you go SLI it splits your 16x port in to 2-8x's. Assuming there is more than one thunderbolt 2 controller with its own internal lanes and they've come up with a way to bundle two links to feed the external CPU it should be fine

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis posted:

like this is a massive combination of parallel and serial manufacturing.. i wanna know how parallel it gets? like 10,000 currently being made at any one point in time or what

that’s incredible

they really shipping 365 million loving phones a year? That’s goddamn crazy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

that’s incredible

so that’s 12 phones per second, 24 hours per day. I don’t know how many manufacturing lines that is, maybe like 2-300.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kobayashi posted:

they really shipping 365 million loving phones a year? That’s goddamn crazy

no. 75 million in the December quarter, which is the highest selling quarter. about 200 million total for the year.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh that’s bush league nonsense then, BORING

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

that’s incredible

a long line of chinese people putting iphones into little machines and taking them back out again. they get yelled at if they talk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

The built-in gpus are extremely good

counterpoint: they are made by amd

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

counterpoint: they are made by amd

counter-counterpoint: they are inside an apple branded machine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:allears:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
we've added a coffee mug heater and we think you're going to love it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
goddamnit jony you stupid rear end in a top hat

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hmm yes that sounds reasonable for an all-in-one

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

seems like a lot more in moon money than USD

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

r u ready to WALK posted:

Hmm yes that sounds reasonable for an all-in-one

something is wrong with your country

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

something is wrong with your country

it's just north of the moon and has the population of a medium size city, unsurprisingly there's a premium on getting things out there

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

This is the kind of poo poo that lead auto manufacturers to not give you real gauges that actually tell you anything but instead have a temp gauge that is always slightly below the middle and a battery gauge that is always slightly above middle.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't know if that's directly comparable to apple's ability to make a computer that isn't also capable of cooking a chicken when in use

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hot things are hot. This is shocking to some people, for some reason. They are probably idiots.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weirdly, properly designed xeon workstations with high-end gpus do not generally double as convection ovens

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

This is the kind of poo poo that lead auto manufacturers to not give you real gauges that actually tell you anything but instead have a temp gauge that is always slightly below the middle and a battery gauge that is always slightly above middle.

isn’t that what you would expect to see when your car’s heat dissipation and voltage regulation systems are working properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol what magical hardware do you believe shitbox manufacturers are using that is consuming less power or producing less BTUs? Just because they consolidated the airflow in to a single exhaust vent out the back doesn't mean anything is wrong or operating out of spec