Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

oh yeah on videos. case in point is project pitchfork

love that band but their videos are baaaad

The ones from the Eon:Eon to NUN era were pretty good... but that's when hey had WMG backing so probably also a lot more money to spend on music vids. By comparison, the last two videos look like amateur productions because, well, they were entirely produced by the band / Spilles themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is fantastic. Thank you.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Also I think Al might be a little out of touch with the Guy Fawkes masks thing. Wasn't that mostly an Anonymous thing in America, and now a lot of 4channers are alt-right?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

extradite THIS! posted:

Oh he wants more. This is the first album of a trilogy my friend

(Ordered my copy of the ridiculously big 28 x 28 cm ltd ed with the tour tickets. What can I say, I'm a turd :shobon:)
Sorry I meant accounting for three of them. $75 for one here (and I was rounding).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ID:YD's year-end list is always good for catching up with stuff: http://www.idieyoudie.com/category/year-end/

My tastes differ oh so slightly but it's always well-considered.

This Grendel album totally slipped past me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG8xnc9_nDE

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 14, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha I saw that they started posting it and sighed ... I had just gotten my music queue down to like 30 hours hahaha.

edit: my spotify profile is here if anyone wants to follow ... i love seeing what like-minded people are listening to. I can't believe last.fm dropped the dashboard that showed what your contacts were up to.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 14, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ID:YD's year-end list is always good for catching up with stuff: http://www.idieyoudie.com/category/year-end/

My tastes differ oh so slightly but it's always well-considered.

This Grendel album totally slipped past me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG8xnc9_nDE

I had only ever heard Grendel's horribly overplayed and generic club tracks back in the day, then I listened to one of their albums a couple of years back and realised they were actually great. It's just that their popular tracks aren't my thing.

Their recent album is definitely worth a listen, they have a unique edge to their sound that sets them apart from the (many) imitators. Also a mate guests on one track so it's like I know someone in the band now :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I do find it awesome that the spooky synthwave stuff gets billing at metal festivals now, that's pretty cool.

Came to post about this, apparently I:Gorr is one of the headlining bands at Copenhell, I am going to see the hell out of that show.

E: Er, mea culpa. I:Gorr is clearly not synthwave, but it's pretty interesting that metal festivals include electronic and sample culture bands regardless.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

Came to post about this, apparently I:Gorr is one of the headlining bands at Copenhell, I am going to see the hell out of that show.

E: Er, mea culpa. I:Gorr is clearly not synthwave, but it's pretty interesting that metal festivals include electronic and sample culture bands regardless.

The lineup at Roadburn this year looked like an insane mixture of metal and electronic and weird stuff. Way too much stuff I really didn't like for me to go, but still kinda neat to see really cool lineups like that.

Edit:

I always thought of Leaetherstrip as a kind of cheesy overly spooky industrial band who happen to release an insane amount of stuff and didn't pay them too much attention but holy poo poo this track from the start of the year is ace. It's got the same kind of brutal honesty as Soft Cell or something. So given their huge amount of releases - what Leaetherstrip albums are worth listening to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGsirFCVhgc

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 14, 2017

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
This song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqL4HwSpyWw

No, I'm not really familiar enough with his back catalogue to make informed suggestions. But if you want something non-spoopy from him, this Simple Minds tribute EP is quite interesting: https://leaetherstrip.bandcamp.com/album/reptile-man-drop-a-tribute-to-simple-minds

Its interesting that you mention Soft Cell because he also released a Soft Cell tribute EP at some point, you should look that up too.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I had only ever heard Grendel's horribly overplayed and generic club tracks back in the day, then I listened to one of their albums a couple of years back and realised they were actually great. It's just that their popular tracks aren't my thing.

Their recent album is definitely worth a listen, they have a unique edge to their sound that sets them apart from the (many) imitators. Also a mate guests on one track so it's like I know someone in the band now :v:

ehh ... EBM Bon Jovi. The air-punching choruses, and that's the verses I'm talking about. Also, the album's laid out like a soft hard rock pop album from the '80s, like I remember 'em. Some tracks are mediocre, but it's a pretty good album and built for stadiums.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Grendel is like... gas-mask industrial club music, which is not usually my thing... but they write actual songs?

Edit: EBM Bon Jovi sounds good to me.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 15, 2017

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
To be fair, as far as aggrotech goes Harsh Generation is by far the most listenable album out there. Almost all of the songs are quite catchy, and there's a nice old-school Front Line Assembly feel to it with the Sci-Fi samples and stuff. I'd take Grendel over Combichrist any day of the week.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Grendel is like... gas-mask industrial club music, which is not usually my thing... but they write actual songs?

here's my review, and it's on Bandcamp so you can preview the whole thing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so not industrial but since this is a spooky kid thread, one of my favorite listens lately is the goth-rock band double echo. they had a new album drop on, when else? halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7XFYmqURM

https://doubleechouk.bandcamp.com/album/period-rooms

that bass line...

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

so not industrial but since this is a spooky kid thread, one of my favorite listens lately is the goth-rock band double echo. they had a new album drop on, when else? halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7XFYmqURM

https://doubleechouk.bandcamp.com/album/period-rooms

that bass line...

gently caress, that guitar tone is like candy to me. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

that bass line...
Share it here too! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669598

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Whoa, I didn't know about that thread — thanks

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

I Die: You Die also just put that album into their top 5 of the year, here's their review:
http://www.idieyoudie.com/2017/11/in-conversation-grendel-age-of-the-disposable-body/

I still have to listen to it a bit more but I like that they're tackling the Brexit theme.

Also, I went to a Grendel show earlier this year (before this album came out) and it was so much fun. The newer songs (from Timewave Zero) work very well live. The old aggrotech ones had been reworked to add guitar and remove some of the aggrotechiness, which I didn't always like, but it made the show more coherent I guess.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 15, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There's probably an extremely limited target demographic for getting excited about this (possibly just me) but Death In Rome's neofolk cover version of Taylor Swift's track "Style" is the second song in this live set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njKnanzMXAo

Appreciate it's not industrial, but the neofolk thread I remember existing at one point seems to have died and I guess there's some crossover appeal.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Another top albums of 2017 list: http://www.damnedindustrial.com/2017/12/damned-industrials-top-20-albums-of-2017/

There's a bunch of good stuff on there, but I hadn't heard that Grave Pleasures album before and it's fantastic.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I guess this is possibly a contentious post, but my personal view is that 2017 has shown there's no place any more for claiming to be apolitical or refusing to openly refute accusations of being far right, misognistic, racist and suchlike. Particularly in a scene that has some unpleasant leanings (whether genuine or just as an attempt to shock) in places.

I am not really up on The Scene any more, so I'd really appreciate if I should know about any artists in the scene or adjacent to it (for example, the guy from Crystal Castles) who have shown themselves in the last year or two to have worrisome affiliations and beliefs or refused to stand against that when challenged? Personally, I'm not ok with having that kind of stuff in my collection any more or listening to it.

I'm aware of Funker Vogt from when they briefly replaced Jens with a guy who may or may not have been linked to the far right, and obviously of Combichrist/Nachtmar being "lol we're just being provocative" edgelords from back when they were called out for it and then doubling down, but are there any other industrial bands who have outed themselves in that respect?

I guess I don't want this to turn into personal attacks, and some people are totally ok with separating the music from the beliefs of the artists - that's a choice and that's fine, it's just not mine any more. So if you're not comfortable posting in the thread - feel free to PM me if there are issues with current industrial artists that I should know about.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Last thing I heard about was the Combichrist drummer who was touring with The Birthday Massacre and PIG getting dumped (from those bands) because he was dressing up in blackface and selling these t-shirts:

Among other things:

The blackface pics are really disgusting. I'm not posting them.

That edgelord poo poo doesn't fly anymore.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 18, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I recall reading somewhere that Tony Wakeford/Sol Invictus had repudiated his previous coy Naziing, but I can't find anything about it. It would be nice if he had. Anyone have anything solid on this?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Tony Wakeford/Sol Invictus had repudiated his previous coy Naziing, but I can't find anything about it. It would be nice if he had. Anyone have anything solid on this?

It's here via the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070502130941/http://www.tursa.com/message.html

quote:

Many years ago I was a once a member of the National Front. It was probably the worse decision of my life and one I very much regret.

However, I have no connection with, sympathy for, or interest in those ideas nor have I had for around 20 years.

A number of friends and musicians whom I work with (including my wife of 8 years), my bass player, my percussionist and engineer/producer, would be at best discriminated against or at worse dead if a far-right party took power.

None of the artists I work with hold such views either, and I doubt they would want to work with me if they thought I did.

I am willing to discus this matter privately with friends and associates and with those who are genuinely interested in my music or wish to work with me.

However, this is the last public statement I plan to make on the subject. I am too fat to jump through hoops for people.

In the end people will either have to believe me or not.

Tony Wakeford
14 February 2007

I think there was a band statement on behalf of Sol Invictus in a similar vein some years later as well.

Edit: I'm kind of of the opinion, harsh though it is, that neo-folk and "martial industrial" bands need to be really clear upfront about their political views because the amount of nazi imagery and sometimes actual far right beliefs has led me to be extremely uncomfortable with that entire scene, even more so than industrial.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 19, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Edit: I'm kind of of the opinion, harsh though it is, that neo-folk and "martial industrial" bands need to be really clear upfront about their political views because the amount of nazi imagery and sometimes actual far right beliefs has led me to be extremely uncomfortable with that entire scene, even more so than industrial.

yeah. I will note again that Disjecta Membra are a bunch of out and out fluffy SJWs, and when fools get nationalist at them Michel gets pointedly Maori back. He was letting go of the "neofolk" label, though I think he'd quite like nice people to claim it (not really "reclaim" since it started with DIJ) because it's succinct: industrialists go acoustic.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

edit: I guess that was more like a personal attack which Danger - Octopus! didn't want.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 19, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

extradite THIS! posted:

edit: I guess that was more like a personal attack which Danger - Octopus! didn't want.

THIS GENRE SUCKS :smith:

I guess I maybe worded that badly and maybe meant I hoped this wouldn't turn into people getting angry about other folk's favourite bands and calling each other out for listening to them since seriously, if other people are comfortable listening to bands with dubious views go ahead - like I said it's a personal choice I'm making, but if it's band members doing/saying unforgivable poo poo then I guess that's your call!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 19, 2017

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

THIS GENRE SUCKS :smith:

I guess I maybe worded that badly and maybe meant I hoped this wouldn't turn into people getting angry about other folk's favourite bands and calling each other out for listening to them since seriously, if other people are comfortable listening to bands with dubious views go ahead - like I said it's a personal choice I'm making, but if it's band members doing/saying unforgivable poo poo then I guess that's your call!

Right, sorry, maybe I read your post bad too! Well, then I'll post what I just PM'ed you here: Sebastian Komor is a misogynist piece of poo poo edgelord as far as I know.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

drat it. I should just quit Icon of Coil then.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I never listened to much icon of coil but I know about Andy LaPlegua being lovely. Didn't know about Komor.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I never really listened to much Icon of Coil because the club would always play that Dead Enough for Life song which is too Bon Jovi for even me; liker of Bon Jovi.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
***~~~If I could reach through, catch you***~~~
Make you understand,
If I'm not dead enough for life
***~~~Am I alive enough for death?***~~~

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I never really listened to much Icon of Coil because the club would always play that Dead Enough for Life song which is too Bon Jovi for even me; liker of Bon Jovi.

That's because that and Existence In Progress are the only decent Icon of Coil songs.

Both are pretty indistinguishable from the popular Apoptygma Berzerk tracks, so if you need more artistically bankrupt scandinavian futurepop there's always that.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Biomute posted:

Both are pretty indistinguishable from the popular Apoptygma Berzerk tracks, so if you need more artistically bankrupt scandinavian futurepop there's always that.

Luckily we have Xenturion Prime now to make actually awesome Scandinavian futurepop and be nice people too!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I liked IoC's Regret, Other Half Of Me & Former Self. The two albums they were from were totally listenable. The later third one was pretty blah.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Which is the one that goes *weeee can’t combine this something thought a lalala* that’s a good one

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

mennoknight posted:

Which is the one that goes *weeee can’t combine this something thought a lalala* that’s a good one

I took too many pills
I took too many pills
I took too many pills
And wrote a crap but catchy chorus

there you go, every Icon of Coil song. I bet you read those words and an IoC tune popped into your head. No, don't thank me

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

mennoknight posted:

that's Regret.

I'm pretty sure futurepop is supposed to be incredibly cheesy. That's why I like it, anyway!

The most recent Syrian album got that right, also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjRFNQGSe_E

In fact, letting Italians have a go at this kind of stuff is generally a good idea. This is more darkwave, but still:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09hjJf2g9E

Entropist fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^ Agreed.

Also Italians are guaranteed to make the cheesiest future/synth pop on the planet and I'll like it. They have that Italo-Disco history.

Luckily we have Xenturion Prime now to make actually awesome Scandinavian futurepop and be nice people too!
:hai:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 21, 2017