Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Naming the only black woman on the show Sapphire was so drat awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

purkey posted:

Naming the only black woman on the show Sapphire was so drat awful

Everything about Sapphire was awful.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

That is easily the biggest bump I've ever seen Hogan take. For a man who typically doesn't leave the ground higher than the Legdrop (brother) that's amazing

And apparently that wasn't the only cage match between the two, it was the main event of the house shows for a while and every night Bossman took that bump off the top, meaning Hogan took that bump as well. And that was the old-rear end rings as well that didn't give an inch.

No wonder these guys did all the drugs.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hogan proved his wrestling excellence to me when he suplexed Virgil on the floor in Wrestlemania 4

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jason Sextro posted:

Hogan proved his wrestling excellence to me when he suplexed Virgil on the floor in Wrestlemania 4

Hoganplex '88!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SvhQZh0yuI

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jason Sextro posted:

Read this as superplexed and my eyes bugged out for a second

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wrestlemania VI draws ever closer, all your favourite wrestlers and also Bad News Brown!

Buckle up, kids! It's time for the best part of the show and there's miles to go before we sleep. Yep, it's Rumble promo time! Dino Bravo and Earthquake are being hyped by Jimmy who says they've got the numbers that they wanted. Dino's hoping that he's close to warrior and nobody is safe from Earthquake. Least of all, the viewers. Demolition have got lady luck on their size this year, although they'd struggle to have it worse than last year. Ax wonders what's going to happen if it comes down to just the two of them and Smash says he'll beat Ax's stinking rear end. Now there's an image I don't want to think about. Bad News Brown hopes that we've got tissues for when our twenty nine heroes get beat and that he's always a winner. For those who've not been counting, we've seen Bad News lose four times so far in this thread. His win rate is under 50%. Dusty Rhodes is coming after Savage if everything he's got. He doesn't care if he has to stay in the match all night long.

Don't tire yet folks, we still got a ways to go. The Rockers aren't worried about facing each other tonight so their numbers are blatantly far apart. They vow to take out anyone, even Warrior or Hulk. Settle on, lads, it's not 1992 just yet. Fat Herc' is ready for friend or foe cause he's got the strength and the power. It sure would be nice if you used them sometimes then. Rick Martel proudly shows off his profile and promises that his face will remain untouched after the match. Tito Santana has lots of friends in the back but he doesn't care about them tonight. Every man for himself!

WORST HAIR

Aaaaa, what the gently caress is going on with Shawn's eyebrows?

We're not at the fireworks factory just yet. Superfly Jimmy Snuka talks about being on his island and fishing with sharks and I have no idea how this is meant to relate to the Rumble. I'm not seeing many transferable skills there. Next up we have... bollocks, Akeem is back. Godammit guys, you were doing so well! Slick's with him and calls him the baddest and the best. I mean, one of those is true at least. The Ultimate Warrior screams that he's a virus that has spread throughout the WWF and he's going to stack twenty eight normal men up and throw them out. You might have noticed this leaves one man out but that's because Warrior recognises that Hulk has a different force field about him. Even so, Warrior will fulfil another destiny. I think Warrior needs less of the spacedust.

Ok, we're entering the home stretches now. Randy Savage knows that Dusty is out for revenge but that can't be possible and we shouldn't be betting against him because everyone will be going for broke. You say everyone but I doubt we're going to see Akeem giving it 100%. The Powers of Pain are with Mr. Fuji who was very selective in choosing their numbers because he could be thinking of anything. Ok, but if you're not thinking of #29 and #30 then I have to question your worth as a manager. Jake “The Snake” Roberts finds the whole concept of the Rumble amazing but he doesn't see much value in being #30 as the winner will the one who's willing to give up that little bit more. I think we've just found out the reason for Jake's poor track record in Rumbles, he's all perspiration and no inspiration.

The finish line is close in sight! The Hart Foundation are together and Anvil is freaking the hell out so Bret yells at him to “mellow out”. I don't think yelling is going to help, Bret. The Honky Tonk Man is going to play twenty tines tunes, a new banger every two minutes. Ooh, I hope that he plays 'We Didn't Start The Fire'. This quick-stop tour comes to a close with Hulk Hogan, who's ready and raring to go. He thinks everyone else looks prepared but they need to expect the unexpected because nobody can prep for the pythons. He doesn't care who's standing in his way whether it's Dino, Fat Herc' or even Warrior or Hennig because he's got a whole lot of energy reserves to draw from all thanks to his vitamins steroids. Aw yeah, that's the good stuff right there. See you next year, Rumble promos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akin-6GjECQ

The Royal Rumble

As ever I've randomly generated a number to cheer for and this year I've selected #26. I've got a good feeling about this one, I think it's my year! Howard Finkel goes over the rules and then announces #1 Ted DiBiase as “the man who last year drew #30”. Wow, Finkel, that was uncalled for. Dick move. DiBiase's going to be kicking things off with #2 Koko B. Ware so at least he's getting an easy start. Koko's even got music now and oh god, it's one of the most tragic wrestling themes I've ever heard. It's some James Brown knock-off imploring us all to 'do the bird'. I think I'll give it a pass, thanks.

DiBiase jumps on Koko as he enters the ring while Jesse tries to sell being #1 as an advantage because it gives DiBiase a headstart on the rest of the field. I think you might want to check your logic there, Jesse. DiBiase bounces Koko's head off the turnbuckle over and over but he keeps on shrugging it off. Koko gets the upper hand and comes in charging in but DiBiase hefts him up and over the ropes.

Is... Is that a parrot on the side of his head?

All this happens just in time for #3 Marty Jannetty to arrive. And hey, every entrant gets music this year. Now we're starting to make the most of that countdown hype. Marty takes it to DiBiase as soon as he gets to the ring with a series of dropkicks but his run is halted when he runs into a big boot. DiBiase connects with a clothesline that flips Marty over with a 360 sell. Marty replies with a lovely corkscrew elbow and goes for a crossbody but DiBiase ducks and Marty goes flying over the top rope and out of the match. Haha, rekt.

Now, DiBiase's off to a good start here and it looks like he might keep this up but out next is #4 Jake “The Snake” Roberts. And by the looks of it this feud is still on and still red hot cause Jake gets a massive pop here. DiBiase climbs between the ropes to brawl with Jake on the outside. He slaps on the Million Dollar Dream but Jake drops forward and drives his head into the ringpost. Jake brings the action back in the ring where he hits...

THE RAINMAAAAAAAKERRRRRR

Jake calls for the DDT but DiBiase reverses it into a back body drop and joining these two in the ring is #5 Randy Savage. Aw snap, this match is on fyah! Savage helps DiBiase beat on Jake and connects with a double axe handle. Savage traps Jake in the ropes but #6 Rowdy Roddy Piper comes in to make the save. He takes the heels out with a double clothesline and frees Jake. They beat on Savage and DiBiase then almost trade blows which each other but stop themselves just in time. Savage and Piper come very close to being eliminated, the crowd's really into this.

Unfortunately this strong run comes to an end with #7 The Warlord. He goes after Piper but Piper starts fighting back. Now one other change that's come in this year is that managers are allowed to stay at ringside which means Sherri's here and she's currently screaming at Savage to break Jake's neck. Jesus, girl. #8 Bret Hart is the next to join the chaos and he joins Piper to hit a double clothesline on the Warlord. Schiavone and Jesse are already impressed with how long DiBiase's lasting, although it's only been 12 minutes so I think they're getting a bit ahead of themselves, personally.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 16, 2017

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Koko B Ware sang his own theme and all I remember is BIRD BIRD BIRD

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Koko's stalling brainbuster finisher was the poo poo, but you never saw it unless he was fighting a total jobber on a weekend TV show.

https://youtu.be/bsAKXB8nubA?t=3m9s

Chiropractors went :signings: every time he hit that thing.

e: Bonus pre-WWF Koko, no bird gimmick and just angry as gently caress at this dude apparently. First clothesline rag dolls the dude and then he just bitch slaps him over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KmTdsLMyG0

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 15, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Have another one of Koko murdering your favorite guy Dangerous Danny Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuCog3OBEHs&t=3m41s

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That is WWE Hall of Famer Koko B. Ware thank you VERY MUCH

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Koko would hit a missile dropkick off the tope rope and land on his feet. Koko was talented as gently caress

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hey Rarity

This is just you and me here, I figured I we should keep this chat private, but I’ve noticed you seem to have a problem with overweight people, fat shaming I believe the Internet calls it. Personally I find these views problematic, and frankly, gross. You should really re-evaluate your views on the vast variety of body types out there and what they’re capable of in the ring. Fat men can work too, you know.

But not fat chicks. I mean, ew.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's weird, I'm seeing a lot of praise for Koko on this page but it doesn't seem to be genuine, which makes no sense because Koko ruled :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do wonder how Koko ended up with such a definitive "jobber" status.

When I started watching old Raws I thought jobbers were traditionally given some gimmick to make them memorable, like Koko or Damien Demento or Max Moon, but then there are a lot of guys like Barry Horowitz or L. A. Gore, or the Hardys pre-push.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
He was very short compared to everyone else

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Koko was too small for Vince to consider making him a star, but he seemed too good (and too over) to be relegated to glorified jobber like he was either.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He was more the definition of Jobber to the Stars. Just enough of a push that he'd squash your Barry Horowitz, beat your Danny Davis and then get destroyed by your Randy Savage

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

It's weird, I'm seeing a lot of praise for Koko on this page but it doesn't seem to be genuine, which makes no sense because Koko ruled :colbert:

Koko did rule. He convincingly went from brutal heel to parrot-loving goofball, all the while using a wicked brainbuster and missile dropkick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sandman McMahon posted:

Hey Rarity

This is just you and me here, I figured I we should keep this chat private, but I’ve noticed you seem to have a problem with overweight people, fat shaming I believe the Internet calls it. Personally I find these views problematic, and frankly, gross. You should really re-evaluate your views on the vast variety of body types out there and what they’re capable of in the ring. Fat men can work too, you know.

But not fat chicks. I mean, ew.

Hi Sandman,

I realise you're making this post for comedic value, in the name of 'humour' if you will, but I think to a certain extent you're right. I know that at the start of this project I made a few comments I regret because I hadn't found my voice yet. There certainly are some overweight guys who can deliver in the ring. Samoa Joe and Kevin Owens in the current product are right up there with the best and I have some very fond memories of Rikishi and Umaga. I do think that for where we are in the timeline overweight guys are going to struggle to get my attention because the style overall is so much slower and more basic and on the whole they're going to lean into that more. However, you're right in that the wrestler's ability to work is not intrinsically tied to their weight. I certainly wouldn't say these things about Nia Jax or Tamina so thank you for making me aware of one of my own internal biases. In future I'm going to focus on the ability and leave the weight out of it.

I'm still sticking with the 'Dusty loves food' gag though :colbert:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's all well and good until the ragging on Earthquake starts. That man was great :colbert:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Honestly, I don't blame you for your "Fat guys probably suck" disposition. Size was so heavily prioritized, and workrate was so unimportant, that a lot of guys in a lot of companies were pushed, or at least given steady work, just for being big, regardless if it was muscle or fat. I mean, really, the only good fat dudes at this point were Bossman, Bam Bam, Vader, and Earthquake. Maybe a couple others I'm not thinking of. Dusty was great, in his prime, but this ain't his prime.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'ma still demand your head if you poo poo on Yoko though :colbert:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I wish I had the gif of Earthquake jumping around for his finisher and knocking the ref over from the shaking

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Yoko was mostly awful

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

purkey posted:

Yoko was mostly awful

nah, Yoko could work.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Let's save the argument over Yoko for when I get to him and focus on the fact that Earthquake is a big hairy baby man

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Earthquake is a big hairy baby man

Earthquake's debut was loving great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siaw-vpQ4Ck

:hellyeah:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

purkey posted:

Yoko was mostly awful

:stare:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We've reached the point in the match where things have descended into dull brawling, a moment epitomised with the arrival of #9 Bad News Brown. Jake hits DiBiase with another rainmaker (sorry guys, it's a one gif-per-show limit) and sets up for the DDT but Savage comes in with a clothesline and knocks Jake over the top rope. Aww. By way of a thank you DiBiase shakes Savage's hand. Hehehe. A few moments later DiBiase is about to be eliminated but Savage comes over to save him. Schiavone suspects that Savage has been paid off by the Million Dollar Man but I don't buy it. Even as a heel I don't see Savage being anyone's stooge.

See, he's totally just trying to eliminate Jake because he wants to

Speaking of Savage, the next entrant is #10 Dusty Rhodes and he goes right after the Macho King. Savage fights him off and charges up but Dusty tips him over and just like that Savage is gone. Whoa, that was a very short showing from Savage this year. I was not expecting him to be done so early. poo poo gets real when #11 Andre the Giant joins the match next. He dumps out Warlord right out the gates leading Mr. Fuji and Bobby Heenan to get in argument on the outside. Take it easy, guys, we need to stop this heel-on-heel violence.

Piper and Dusty team up to go after the big man but Andre easily fights them off. The crowd is so hot that even #12 The Red Rooster gets a decent pop. I'm surprised to see that Rooster is even still on the books, really. At this point he's a joke that has long since got old. Meanwhile, Piper pushes Bad News over and out to eliminate him. Bad News does not take kindly to this turn of events so he drags Piper out and the two brawl to the back. Welp, I guess that this is Piper's Wrestlemania feud. Ugh. This feud is not high-profile enough for Piper to have come out of retirement for. They keep presenting Bad News like he's meant to be a big deal but nothing about him as a wrestler backs that up.

Way less awesome than when Piper and Rude did it

Just as Andre is knocking Rooster out #13 Ax shows up and he goes straight for Andre. Oh no. Oh god please no. No, I don't want this feud for the Tag Team belts. Please no. Ax and Dusty trap Andre in the ropes and follow up with a double elbow. They free him up so they can eliminate him but Andre punches them back straight away. Andre's about to get some assistance though because the next entrant is – godammit, don't do this – #14 Haku. I don't like this! Although I do like how Bret and DiBiase are just hanging out on the other side of the ring ignoring this clusterfuck. Haku hits the Reverse Thrust Kick on Ax but he'll be all right because here to make the save is #15 Smash.

For gently caress sake.

No, I really don't want this. I didn't like the feud between Demolition and the Powers of Pain last year but at the very least I understood it. They were the two Legion of Doom knock-offs and it's only natural that they'd put them against each other. So at the bare minimum I was able to tolerate it because I knew that it would end at WM5 and we'd have something new to follow after. And with all the exciting tag team talent on offer I figured whatever came next would be something exciting. I can't believe that faced with all the potential options available we've ended up with a feud that will result in another snorefest of a match. Godammit. So Demolition brawl with Andre and Haku and I hate all of this but it's ok because this is still a Rumble and whoever's out next is going to rescue everything.

So of course the next guy is #16 Akeem.

gently caress.

Everything.

Number of Times Rarity Considered Abandoning This Project: 6

The depressing brawl continues while Akeem comes to the ring and Demolition nail Andre with a double clothesline that knocks him out of the ring. The crowd pops huge for this, as they always seem to do when Andre gets eliminated from things. Demolition almost get Haku out as well but Andre saves him before the ref's usher him away. Oh, and while all this has been going on we've also gone and lost Bret loving Hart. We didn't even get to see it. I don't even know who it was that eliminated him. Ah, turns out it was Dusty. Thanks, Wikipedia!

Not sure why Fuji's still there, neither of his men are in the match right now

The match takes a turn for the better #17 Superfly Jimmy Snuka comes out and quickly dumps Akeem out upon his arrival. Ah, thank God. Seeing Akeem get jobbed out so fast has likely saved me from an aneurysm. As #18 Dino Bravo shows up with Jimmy Hart in tow I realise that the likely reason for Jimmy signing Dino to his stable is so he can reuse that sweet Quebec suit. Hey, when you throw down big bucks on fashion you want to make sure you can wear it as much as possible.

Ok, now that he's past the thirty minute mark I think it's fair to say DiBiase's having a really good run. See, Schiavone, that's how you do it. Demolition team up on him but there's no sign of being eliminated just yet. It's important to remember that these number picks were chosen by random selection and to remind us of that #19 Earthquake has RANDOMLY SELECTED the number right after his buddy. He reaches the ring and immediately knocks Dusty out.

Dusty, looking for the drumstick he dropped on the floor

Far too much of the recent action has been Demolition doing their team-up axe handle smashes to people but that's about to be over because Earthquake tosses Ax, hurray! He then jumps up and down in the ring looking a lot like a giant baby. Ah, it's so he can make the ring shake like an earthquake. I get it! Earthquake's days are numbered though because #20 Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart races to the ring and joins in as everyone except Dino gangs up on Earthquake in the corner and chucks him out. Haha, so that's where the 'everyone gang up on the big man' spot started!

Anvil and Smash team up for a double atomic drop to DiBiase. The crowd pops huge for #21 The Ultimate Warrior who targets Dino as soon as he gets to the ring. Dino gets in a Manhattan drop but there's not much else he can do and Warrior tosses him out. It's at this point I realise that all of Smash's facepaint has smeared off now and while its debatable how cool he looked in the first place he looks way less cool without it. It's like bumping into your maths teacher at a fetish night.

MY SAFE WORD IS 'OCTOGENARIAN'

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Welp, I guess that this is Piper's Wrestlemania feud. Ugh.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad News Allen owned.

Punking out Andre owned

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think it’s worthwhile noting: the big boss man’s theme song is one of the most upbeat songs ever made about potential incarceration.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golden Bee posted:

I think it’s worthwhile noting: the big boss man’s theme song is one of the most upbeat songs ever made about potential incarceration.

I was watching Bossman's original face turn yesterday, and it was pretty well done.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You know I'm starting to suspect that maybe these numbers weren't drawn entirely at random :tinfoil:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

You know I'm starting to suspect that maybe these numbers weren't drawn entirely at random :tinfoil:

Please don't troll.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Quake physically shaking the ring around with his toddler stomping owns

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I know we're not supposed to post spoilers but if you've been displeased by WWE's handling of social issues then hoooooooooooooooooo boy are you in for a treat come Wrestlemania.

I wouldn't blame you if you up and quit the project in the middle of the show.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I know we're not supposed to post spoilers but if you've been displeased by WWE's handling of social issues then hoooooooooooooooooo boy are you in for a treat come Wrestlemania.

I wouldn't blame you if you up and quit the project in the middle of the show.

I thought you were talking about a spoiler for the upcoming WrestleMania in 2018 and I was wondering what it could possibly be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought you were talking about a spoiler for the upcoming WrestleMania in 2018 and I was wondering what it could possibly be

"What'cha gonna do, New Day?!"