Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

isn’t that what you would expect to see when your car’s heat dissipation and voltage regulation systems are working properly?

Voltage will have dips as things engage/disengage. Temps will ramp up in summer but still be within spec. All this is stuff that made people complain to the dealerships because it isn't "perfect" despite being entirely within operating parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

weirdly, properly designed xeon workstations with high-end gpus do not generally double as convection ovens

they are also big, the imac pro is for imaginary professions that need a workstation but don't have 3 sqft of floor space

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

weirdly, properly designed xeon workstations with high-end gpus do not generally double as convection ovens

is your contention here that Apple computers produce significantly more heat to do an equivalent computing task than other vendors’ computers?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol what magical hardware do you believe shitbox manufacturers are using that is consuming less power or producing less BTUs? Just because they consolidated the airflow in to a single exhaust vent out the back doesn't mean anything is wrong or operating out of spec

none, i'm suggesting that perhaps the idea of putting an 18 core xeon and a vega gpu into that form factor was hubris for a company that can't make laptops that don't try to melt through your desk.

The Management posted:

is your contention here that Apple computers produce significantly more heat to do an equivalent computing task than other vendors’ computers?

no my contention is that apple computers have a history of thermal management issues, often stemming from their design

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Prove its a problem. Do it. Find some facts or evidence beyond "person said thing is hot".

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Hot things are hot. This is shocking to some people, for some reason. They are probably idiots.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
The issue is not heat generation it's heat dissipation. Apple likes to use the entire device as a heatsink which makes them dissipate poorly and also always a million degrees.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Prove its a problem. Do it. Find some facts or evidence beyond "person said thing is hot".

you get really wound up for a guy posting in the computer shitposting forum.

idk, i guess wait for the anand benches to come out, they usually to temp measurements too. i'm just lolling at apple for making a 5k hand dryer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
The mac pro tower probably had decent cooling tho since it was modeled after real computers.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

no my contention is that apple computers have a history of thermal management issues, often stemming from their design

I agree with this.

see for example

The Management posted:

goddamnit jony you stupid rear end in a top hat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

Hmm yes that sounds reasonable for an all-in-one

if you have to ride in an ambulance in america it costs more than that

e: also monthly reminder that american prices don't include tax, that same config is 13 grand on the us site and norway has 25% vat which puts it at $16,700

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 14, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

The mac pro tower probably had decent cooling tho since it was modeled after real computers.

well that and it was basically the same design that had housed the G5, a CPU so hot it had an integral phase change cooler in the package

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jony hasn't been day to day on product design at apple for like 2 years, too busy working on their technically perfect but unusable office building and making slightly better tables for retail stores

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

RIP code quality as developers are forced to work in large open office clean desk garbage spaces

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
they talked up the heat dissipation on the new mbp and mine has been fine in that regard so far

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

qirex posted:

jony hasn't been day to day on product design at apple for like 2 years, too busy working on their technically perfect but unusable office building and making slightly better tables for retail stores

there was an article recently stating “HES COMING BACK TO PRODUCT DESIGN RIGHT NOW, DEFINITELY”

probably to assure investors or something

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If I'm able to run 8 Xeon sockets in 1U dissipating 1kW+ without thermal throttling an iMac with considerably more internal volume can manage

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
johnny ives solution to mac overheating: just seal up the vents, that's where all the heat comes from, right?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

he’s chief design officer, the buck stops with him. if he’s been wanking it to renderings of door knobs while products are suffering it’s still on him.

I can assure you Engineering is not the ones pushing for these thermally constrained designs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i like to jump on apple's dumb design decisions as much as the next guy, but the top processor option for an imac pro is 140W TDP.

the fan/vent combination needs to cool the equivalent of two lightbulbs. i think it will be ok.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, presumably there's more than just the cpu in there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the vega's tdp is 350

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

the vega's tdp is 350

they have courageously underclocked it for you

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

it’s climate optimised so in a cold office the heat descends cozily onto your keyboard and hands

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cpu generates heat, and it comes out of the vent. how could crapple design such a dumb thing

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
computer makes heat how can this be

alternately, that "i can't believe you've done this" video, but with the iMac Pro introduction in place of the dude getting punched

edit: the only kind-of-dumb, form-over-function thing about having a heat vent on the back is trying to hide it with the stand arm.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mac users expect slowness and bad performance in general so throttling due to bad thermal design is ok.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Doc Block posted:

computer makes heat how can this be

alternately, that "i can't believe you've done this" video, but with the iMac Pro introduction in place of the dude getting punched

edit: the only kind-of-dumb, form-over-function thing about having a heat vent on the back is trying to hide it with the stand arm.

it would be funny if the heat melted the stand and caused the thing to fall

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why people are flipping out because someone says the 5000 dollar computer creates heat don't all y'all windows povs have like giant video cards

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
again its not heat generation that's different, its the poor heat dissipation in apple devices that's the problem. in a pc you have a bunch of fans to dump heat. in apple the device is a heatsink and it has your hands and legs to dump heat.

also since apple chose AMD their gpu will run hotter than the equivalent nvidia card

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ok dude if your legs and hands are touching your imac while it's running full tilt you might be using it wrong

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Mac Pro better fit a 12” standard video card or I’m loving out of this company

e: not like I’d buy one really. a Falcon NW is way more gaming computer for 60% of the cost, but poo poo man

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the imac has fans you retard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

these people are mad online because the fans push hot air out of the imac instead of just leaving it in there I guess

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
protip: don't stick your hand in that spot that it's really awkward to stick you hand into while using the computer and you won't notice that there's hot air there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

we'll see if its enough, but they do not have a history of good fan design.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger !!! :razz:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is all such a weird hypothetical as you really shouldn't buy an imac pro to start with, and even if you do please do not stick your body parts into any of the openings in the chassi, and if you do please do not post about it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is all such a weird hypothetical as you really shouldn't buy an imac pro to start with, and even if you do please do not stick your body parts into any of the openings in the chassi, and if you do please do not post about it

definitely neurotypical windows users cannot fathom not loving a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

he probably searched and couldn't find anything newer than the stories about the 2010 models