Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, what are the Ideas used for anyway? Supposedly they affect the bonding gacha, but exactly how I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I got a perfect (non-pacifist) run on Tiger! Tiger! stage 5!

https://twitter.com/sa_zoran/status/941387605555286016
https://twitter.com/sa_zoran/status/941387726120632320

…Why did you give me a third dark core I can’t even use, game? :mad:

I want my light core.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zoran posted:

…Why did you give me a third dark core I can’t even use, game? :mad:

I want my light core.

Turn it into ether and build a light core?

Pollyanna posted:

So, what are the Ideas used for anyway? Supposedly they affect the bonding gacha, but exactly how I have no idea.

They (in theory) affect the chance of getting blades of an element pair (you can see the opposing elements orbiting a core when selecting the corresponding boosters). They also (in theory) give you a higher chance to pull rares of those elements.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

IcePhoenix posted:

Turn it into ether and build a light core?

You can’t. Light cores and master role mods are the only parts you can’t build, and they seem to only drop in the big chest in stage 5. I’ve gotten a Master Luck Mod (useless) and also Master Tank (+HP/Tank role) and Master Strike (+Dex/Attacker). I’d really like to get the Light core and a full set of Master Evasion mods so I can stack +25% agility modifiers.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zoran posted:

You can’t. Light cores and master role mods are the only parts you can’t build, and they seem to only drop in the big chest in stage 5. I’ve gotten a Master Luck Mod (useless) and also Master Tank (+HP/Tank role) and Master Strike (+Dex/Attacker). I’d really like to get the Light core and a full set of Master Evasion mods so I can stack +25% agility modifiers.
Oh, I didn't even know you could get a light core, that's kinda cool I guess.

...but Tiger sucks so poor Poppi will be ignored by me forever

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In fairness, it's less egregious than usual, because Pyra is presented as having a separate/distinct personality from the one who was actually that. Which like... doesn't make it much better? But it's a little better.

Well my whole thing is (chapter 7 spoilers) I liked Nia the most out of all of them anyways since I found her smugness and general mannerisms to be hilarious and adorable, and while I think the whole Pyra/Rex thing is the most developed I like the idea of Nia/Rex a lot more. Even though there was little leading up to this before chapter 7 I wish there was a way for the Rex/Nia ship to happen just based on how much of a better character Nia is compared to Pyra.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zoran posted:

Why is a master luck mod useless?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chaosfirev posted:

Well my whole thing is (chapter 7 spoilers) I liked Nia the most out of all of them anyways since I found her smugness and general mannerisms to be hilarious and adorable, and while I think the whole Pyra/Rex thing is the most developed I like the idea of Nia/Rex a lot more. Even though there was little leading up to this before chapter 7 I wish there was a way for the Rex/Nia ship to happen just based on how much of a better character Nia is compared to Pyra.

I honestly thought that Rex/Nia was both more forced and made less sense in general - Nia would get driven absolutely crazy by Rex's constant blind optimism (and not in that adorable domestic sitcom couple way) while Pyra is at least similar in that way, she wants to move forward even when she doesn't really know what can be done or what's going on but I can see why you'd disagree because yeah Pyra kinda sucks

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly thought that Rex/Nia was both more forced and made less sense in general - Nia would get driven absolutely crazy by Rex's constant blind optimism (and not in that adorable domestic sitcom couple way) while Pyra is at least similar in that way, she wants to move forward even when she doesn't really know what can be done or what's going on but I can see why you'd disagree because yeah Pyra kinda sucks

Oh I agree but while Rex/Nia feels forced I think that would be a more dynamic relationship. Obviously this wouldn't matter anyways because any actual pairing would happen at the end of the game (haven't finished yet so don't spoil please) but I generally like a relationship between 2 characters when they can build off of each other. Rex can learn from Nia since he's neive to a fault and Nia can learn from Rex to be more optimistic for example.

A good non-romantic parallel would be Lightning and Hope from FFXIII. Lightning learned not to be a hard rear end 100% of the time while Hope attempted to grow a backbone, they learned off of eachother.

With Pyra/Rex I feel they are both very similar characters so it just feels hollow.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Bass Bottles posted:

Does anyone else have a completely blank quest screen? Accepting new quests, completing old quests, and rebooting the game hasn’t fixed it. Is my game irrevocably glitched or am I just an idiot not using the UI correctly?

Edit: I’m not an idiot, the UI is just garbage.

If this happens to you make sure “view all” is set under the “categories” tab because I guess “view none” is an invisible setting that can happen??

Maybe you had it set to view blade quests or main story quests when you didn't have any?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Why is a master luck mod useless?

Luck and Ether mods make Poppi's class Healer, but Tora has no healing arts of any kind, so you mainly just out on the durability or attack power offered by the other two classes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zoran posted:

Luck and Ether mods make Poppi's class Healer, but Tora has no healing arts of any kind, so you mainly just out on the durability or attack power offered by the other two classes.

Ah, that's silly.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I'm going to have an aneurysm before I figure out how to get up on that pillar.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zoran posted:

Some Poppi modes can equip a mod that creates healing potions with all(?) skill usage, and you can equip it as a tank too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anytips for what I assume is the end of chapter 7 fight (or close to it?) the one against Jin and Malos. I have Rex as my healer and Malos just spamming Monado Cyclone while Jin evades near every attack and launches my party members up makes this fight a huge annoyance.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I can't figure out how to get here AT ALL.

Start from the upper level and head to the furthest island to the east where you want to get to the northeast corner. The path to that corner is kinda not straightforward but you'll figure it out. In that corner is a field skill check for Ice Mastery (and something else like Focus, but the Ice Mastery is the high level check) that creates a bridge to the pillar north of you. Make your way up the pillar, I think there's an unavoidable 30-something unique on the way. Almost at the top is an ice ramp aimed at the final pillar, just ride that poo poo over (jumping will gently caress it up and you'll fall all the way down). But before you take the ramp, keep heading to the very top of the pillar to get the secret area/landmark (high level wind check I think) cause you'll really REALLY want to have it for that quest you're trying to get.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Some Poppi modes can equip a mod that creates healing potions with all(?) skill usage, and you can equip it as a tank too.

Yeah, so you don’t need to be a healer class. The actual class makes the potions stronger, sure, but it also drops aggro and changes AI behavior to send Tora after potions and disengage from enemies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow real cool of the game to perform a surprise skill check that I obviously failed and can't repeat and instead have to fight an enemy that is above my level now. This is for the Merc level 3 quest too so i'd realllly like to do it now.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anytips for what I assume is the end of chapter 7 fight (or close to it?) the one against Jin and Malos. I have Rex as my healer and Malos just spamming Monado Cyclone while Jin evades near every attack and launches my party members up makes this fight a huge annoyance.

Jin's launch triggers when he gets attacked while using Stunned Swallow. Focus on Malos and have a ranged healer blade so you can stay out of all the AOE damage. I think you only need to get one of them down to 50% to trigger a cutscene

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Amppelix posted:

Wow real cool of the game to perform a surprise skill check that I obviously failed and can't repeat and instead have to fight an enemy that is above my level now. This is for the Merc level 3 quest too so i'd realllly like to do it now.
you have to do those fights anyway, you can't skip them with the check it just makes you say something different

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you have to do those fights anyway, you can't skip them with the check it just makes you say something different

Speaking of skill checks, I wish that, for that one Electra side quest, you could fail the skill check and just kill that dude with the heart attack via electrocution.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, that was kind of weird when it popped up for me. You basically coach them on their fighting style, I think?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
How frequently have folks been hitting crashes in this? I had one last night and lost an hour or so of play. Seriously wondering if I should not just wait a patch or so and see if that improves.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DisposableHero posted:

How frequently have folks been hitting crashes in this? I had one last night and lost an hour or so of play. Seriously wondering if I should not just wait a patch or so and see if that improves.
I've had two in about fifty hours - once when I talked to a NPC before the zone was done loading and it hanged waiting for my party member to do the "what's up", and once right after a Merc Mission came back when I spent some time looking at a skill tree before moving to the next blade.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

DisposableHero posted:

I have yet to have a crash and my game time is at 71 hours.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok I just did the fight anyway and now I feel really good about myself. I finally figured out he was doing some sort of counter moves so the secret to winning was actually to hang wayy back with Nia and take potshots with her ether cannon so none of the AoEs ever hit and I could heal whenever needed. Also I got a bit lucky in that he never busted out his "this will almost assuredly kill you in one hit at this level" move on me.

E: Whoops there's a third one and this one I am absolutely not doing with a ten level deficit. Aw come on, why does it have to be this hard to unlock more merc levels? Poor Roc is stuck at 2 affinity too. I could go level myself at the inn but I don't want to overlevel the story.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 14, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What store can I go to to feed boreas easily with?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Tae posted:

What store can I go to to feed boreas easily with?

The first area sells merch to get him to level 3. Fund it with salvaging

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

goddamn, I can't get Four to hold aggro for poo poo. I even removed damage buffs on Rex and Nia to reduce aggro and it's still not enough. Uh, welcome back to the party Tora

e: I'm 50 hours in and only on chapter 5. Holy poo poo this game is massive

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

goddamn, I can't get Four to hold aggro for poo poo. I even removed damage buffs on Rex and Nia to reduce aggro and it's still not enough. Uh, welcome back to the party Tora

There's equipment that increases aggro per hit and ones that increase aggro as time goes on.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
that feel when you use 108 core crystals and don't get a single rare.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yay I got Kosmos. Though on Rex so I will have to waste an Overdrive to hand her over to a different party member.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i beat the game last night without really ever upgrading Tora's ladies, and using him the whole game, I can't imagine how strong he'd be if i played that silly mini game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I'm going to have an aneurysm before I figure out how to get up on that pillar.

You get to the Northern pillar from the North-East one in the Upper Level A ways around it you'll find a bigass ice ramp angled towards the pillar you want.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did 4kids write half this dialogue.

I'm looking at what is clearly rice balls. Those are not dumplings.

They even reference salt, what the gently caress.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Stop whining and eat your hamburgers, Tae

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Tae posted:

I laughed at that bit for exactly this reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Please do not besmirch the good name of the Ting-A-Ling Troupe :colbert:.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In fairness, it's less egregious than usual, because Pyra is presented as having a separate/distinct personality from the one who was actually that. Which like... doesn't make it much better? But it's a little better.

Rex is in his mid-twenties at least. Japanese years are twice as long as American years. They just forgot to do the math during localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
It sounds like hes older than he looks. He talks about drinking with the other salvagers in the beginning. Or maybe its just weird anime land.