Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

carry on then posted:

he probably searched and couldn't find anything newer than the stories about the 2010 models

i haven't searched for poo poo you idiot. what would i find? the thing came out today, if there actually are thermal issues people will be reporting them in the coming weeks

i'm lolling at an early review saying the thing is like an electric hand dryer with a 5k screen, because that's funny, and apple has a bit of a history of letting design come before silly things like thermal performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

Mac Pro better fit a 12” standard video card or I’m loving out of this company

e: not like I’d buy one really. a Falcon NW is way more gaming computer for 60% of the cost, but poo poo man

:allears:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a bit more interesting that the iPro has a secure enclave/tpm kinda thing in it which also handles hardware-based data encryption on the drive apparently

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

shagger !!! :razz:

he’s not wrong in this case. iMac fans have always been insufficient and cause them to throttle rather quickly. this one has a much bigger fan but we shall see.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

it's a bit more interesting that the iPro has a secure enclave/tpm kinda thing in it which also handles hardware-based data encryption on the drive apparently

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

osx finally enforces signed kexts too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is all such a weird hypothetical as you really shouldn't buy an imac pro to start with, and even if you do please do not stick your body parts into any of the openings in the chassi, and if you do please do not post about it

Chassis is both the plural and singular form. :eng101:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

osx finally enforces signed kexts too

my hackintosh!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

these were 1.5 pages of delightful debate concerning over/under on putting an angled metal plate to cover an exhaust

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

these were 1.5 pages of delightful debate concerning over/under on putting an angled metal plate to cover an exhaust

hte world will end before goons start using over/under correctly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

hte world will end before goons start using over/under correctly

tu varbūt šo sarunu latviski gribi paturpināt?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

and nary a mention at the fact that they replaced the hatch that lets you upgrade the ram.

stay focused apple hate crew, c'mon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what self respecting imac user was ever upgrading their ram?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

upped my 2013 imac to 32gb almost right away :cool:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

and nary a mention at the fact that they replaced the hatch that lets you upgrade the ram.

you can still upgrade it, but it has to be done at the genius bar

translation: the RAM isn’t soldered to the motherboard, but instead of a hatch on the back you have to remove the screen to upgrade it.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Doc Block posted:

you can still upgrade it, but it has to be done at the genius bar

translation: the RAM isn’t soldered to the motherboard, but instead of a hatch on the back you have to remove the screen to upgrade it.

at the genius bar i'm sure you'd also have to pay apple repair prices for those sticks of ram, which would probably cost about as much as just buying another imac pro

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i was thinking they should give the computer a tail pipe for exhaust heat. seems practical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymkMNPbnJj4

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

its dumb and I’m dumb, I know but even just to simplify my desk at home, a really powerful Mac with a video card slot (like the good old days) would mean I just have to dual boot, instead of having to buy a PC as well for all the dumb old computer games I like to play. It’s just about using the right tool for the job.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

my buddy in Mac hardware hooked me up with 16 gigs of rams when I bought my iMac in 2010.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
128gb of ram should be sufficient for browsing, emailing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lmao

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
pleasant apple surprise: wife has a 16gb SE, will probably upgrade her to a bigger-storage SE2 in march if such a thing will exist

in the mean time i just tried to install iOS 11.2.1 and her phone specifically asked me to temporarily deltet some apps and then automatically reinstall them after the upgrade, due to insufficient spaec

do like the automated offer to automatedly get around small storage space in prevoius iphones, thumbsup

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imacs make no sense to me. there is no reason to compromise on hardware capabilities, gently caress up the repairability, and reduce the cooling capability/introduce throttling/make it noisier because the fans have to go full blast more often, just so you can have it all in a tight little package.

the change from magnetically attaching the screen to gluing it the gently caress on is also such a gently caress you to anyone who needs to work on them.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fat stacks in a g3 biiiiiithc

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

chome :chome:

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
it's an appliance

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

give it a couple years and get back to us

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

spent a few minutes looking at this to see if you were using a secret code

don't know that I've ever spotted that happening naturally before

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 15, 2017

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

"jamsrd" is not close enough to "james" to be worth mentioning

or are you talking about i1dty,c

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

DuckConference posted:

"jamsrd" is not close enough to "james" to be worth mentioning

or are you talking about i1dty,c
just the overall spacing and being tired was enough to trig

what are the odds

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

akadajet posted:

my hackintosh!
theres ways around it :mrgw:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the "way" is disabling kext signature enforcement, which, well, lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

brap posted:

imacs make no sense to me. there is no reason to compromise on hardware capabilities, gently caress up the repairability, and reduce the cooling capability/introduce throttling/make it noisier because the fans have to go full blast more often, just so you can have it all in a tight little package.

the change from magnetically attaching the screen to gluing it the gently caress on is also such a gently caress you to anyone who needs to work on them.

where’d you c/p this from

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Kenny Logins posted:

spent a few minutes looking at this to see if you were using a secret code

don't know that I've ever spotted that happening naturally before

Yeah cool.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the "way" is disabling kext signature enforcement, which, well, lol
i currently have it disabled but i dont think u have to

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

syscall girl posted:

give it a couple years and get back to us

WebAssembly brings no untold end joys of gobbling more memory. Developers preallocate fixed storage for their cross compiled .Net apps.

Just wait and someone will port Node.js to WebAssembly so you can have a literal Node.js server running in your browser to reduce the burden of developing front-end webcodes and streamline that latency of first render.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Last Chance posted:

lpddr cannot be upgraded or socketed

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MrMoo posted:

WebAssembly brings no untold end joys of gobbling more memory. Developers preallocate fixed storage for their cross compiled .Net apps.

Just wait and someone will port Node.js to WebAssembly so you can have a literal Node.js server running in your browser to reduce the burden of developing front-end webcodes and streamline that latency of first render.

:jackbud:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is very hard to tell whether one is getting old or whether software actually uses ridiculously much memory these days

need some infographics which explains what fraction is used by what really, graphical assets are sort of easy to imagine having ballooned, but it is hard to imagine that that is the whole explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Thick provisioning seems to be becoming more common and .Net follows the JRE model of arbitrary initial allocations that the dev probably didn't tune well then rely on GC to punch it down under memory pressure. Run those same things on a system with less available physical ram and they'll probably be considerably smaller because GC actually initializes for a change instead of sitting idle because there is no reason to spend the CPU cycles