Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Voting is closed.

Working on an update.

EDIT: Oh. H won. Uh. Update might take a tiny bit longer than predicted.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Ha! Have you commiserated with Diog yet about insane voting?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
People participate in CYOA's because we get to effect the outcome of a story. We've all read stories before, and most of them follow a fairly consistent path along similar lines. So if there's an option to make a choice that isn't normally done in a book we'll take it because we want to see interesting and novel things happen.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

TheCog posted:

Voting is closed.

Working on an update.

EDIT: Oh. H won. Uh. Update might take a tiny bit longer than predicted.

Good luck!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Outrail posted:

People participate in CYOA's because we get to effect the outcome of a story. We've all read stories before, and most of them follow a fairly consistent path along similar lines. So if there's an option to make a choice that isn't normally done in a book we'll take it because we want to see interesting and novel things happen.

Its a good thing. Just unexpected.

If I wanted to write a novel, I would have not asked for player input.

I just thought A had a commanding lead.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
spear was the correct choice

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

You see where the non-existent pedestal stands, and ponder for an instant, before reaching for the charm you've been wearing for almost a year now. You gently take it off, and begin to place it where the seventh altar would exist, if there were one. Which there is not. Yet as you let go of the charm, you imagine one there, for a flicker of an instant, also made of moonlight, but with deep red cracks of blood running through it. But that's just your imagination, because the necklace falls through the air, as if there were nothing there. Which there is not.

Still, as the charm leaves your hand, your feel it. A small zap of electricity. Leaping from the necklace to your finger. Its so small you cant see it. Just feel it.

Then you realize. Something is wrong. The flames on the pillars have stopped moving. Sound has ceased. You... you're disintegrating. You see your finger disintegrating. Its becoming dust. Layer by layer. You are peeling away. You cannot move. It doesn't hurt, and you feel oddly calm. If you could move you might scream, but all you can do is watch, as your hand becomes dust, carried away by the wind.

Next is your arm. Your gaze is fixed forward, and you cannot move your head, but as your arm disappears, you can feel your torso disintegrating. Inch by inch. Your lower body. Your neck. Your chin. You... you lose all sense of self.

"Hello child" a voice speaks to you, and you are you again. You look around. You are in an unfamiliar place. It looks like... a study? The room is made of carefully carved stone, and there are all kinds of scrolls on the walls. A table covered in beakers and tomes sits in front of you, and leaning over the table, having spilled a few of the beakers is an older looking man. He has a white beard, and has clearly gone bald. His face is ashen and his eyes look vacantly through you.

His voice... it doesn't match his body, it is deep and powerful and smolders with every word. His words are like embers. "You know, in all these years, you're the first to try that? Well done." The mans lips move as he speaks, and a dribble of blood runs down his nose. "I had to borrow this vessel so we could chat, we don't have long I'm afraid, before the Djinni notice." the nosebleed turns into an almost constant faucet of blood as the mans eyes roll in his skull. He twitches and a beaker goes flying off, hitting the floor.

"You have a turbulent future ahead of you, I can tell you that, not just from the strings of fate, but from who your mentor is." he pauses, and the man gives a powerful jerk, falling backwards, sending the table toppling. Slumped against the wall, he keeps talking, his voice growing more and more heated. "You will need all the power you can call on. When it seems you can no longer fight the enemies before you, when you struggle to even survive, find the Black Archive, and search the name of the First Ifrit. If you can't figure it out from there, you were never worthy anyway."

The man's hair is smoking, smoke is pouring out of his eyes and when he speaks, smoke emerges from his mouth. "Go now girl, we will not speak again before you make it through the Gate of Sands, so remember my words well, keep them secret. I took great pains to keep this hidden from the Djinni. If they find out, your path shall become ten times more difficult." you see the man burst into flame as you fade into darkness again...

You are back on the pond, surrounded by the altars. The necklace has just slipped through your fingers. It falls, and splashes against the water. Thankfully since it's wooden, it floats. You kneel and recover it, as lightning shoots in the sky above you, crossing the pillars again, in a strange silent dance. The Sejin speaks with his multitude of voices again "The Djinni appreciate your offer" his voice booms, "But the gifts they offer require no sacrifice but your vows, no gifts but your power. The Almujus and the Djinni have found you worthy to bear this burden! Take from them a boon!"

quote:

A. Take the item upon the first pillar. Upon it is a small cloth bag, in which lay twelve perfectly round and flat stones. They are a deep blood red, and seemingly almost translucent. Each has a symbol etched upon it in gold. You don't recognize any of the symbols. As you examine the stones, you feel strange. You have an uncertain feeling that the stones... are not from this time?

B. The item upon the second pillar. A perfectly golden spearhead. Etched upon it are flame motifs. As you examine it the etched metal flames seem to dance and flicker, and inside them you can see... something... a figure... dancing?

C. A chalice, which looks to have been carved out of a single diamond. It is empty on the inside, and etched on the sides are what appear to be the images of a battle, many are dying, wounded, in what looks to be a harsh desert. All but a few, who are drinking from a spring, that has emerged from the sands. The more you look at it the more cold you feel. Stare at it too long and you start to shiver...

D. A small statue of a hawk of some kind? You think. The hawk is flapping its wings, as if taking off, and the statue appears to be made entirely of bronze. It is no larger than your clenched fist, but it looks very realistic. As you examine it you notice all kinds of incredibly intricate details, like the single drop of blood running down the hawk's beak.

E. A pendant, holding a talisman in the shape of a snake. It is quite different from the pendant the Sejin lent you the other day, much smaller and made entirely of what seems to be delicate silver. When you look away, and look back, it almost seems as if the talisman has changed positions. As you gaze at it, you get the distinct impression that the snake is looking back at you.

F. A small, black stone, it looks ancient, and the etching upon it are somewhat faded. While you examine it, you can hear... whispers, you can almost make out what they're saying, but no matter how hard you try to concentrate upon it, you can't make out what exactly those words are.

G. I take nothing. I just walk away to rejoin the Sejin.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 16, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheCog posted:

Its a good thing. Just unexpected.

If I wanted to write a novel, I would have not asked for player input.

I just thought A had a commanding lead.

It was more a dig at Diog being surprised that we do dumb poo poo on a consistent basis.

F, mystery prize

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
C

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dude was literally dying to give us a message. Press F to pay respects.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Dang! A real mystery here.

Sticking with A

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

F! loving Whisper Madness and hidden secrets!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
A of course.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

F, if we just listen a little harder...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lets Do what they ask and take a Hawk

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My vote hasn't changed.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

Dude was literally dying to give us a message. Press F to pay respects.

Whatever was speaking to us was not that dude. Technically I guess our action caused this non Djinn to use someone enough to cause them to go aflame.

Also F

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
F

Ancient whispers from the beyond the veil of sanity plz

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Whatever was speaking to us was not that dude. Technically I guess our action caused this non Djinn to use someone enough to cause them to go aflame.

Also F

'Borrowed' a body. But it's okay he gave it back.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
B take up arms

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Changing my vote to F in light of crazy old man. A secret mission for an old thing requires an old thing!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
A

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

Also, I assume we drew the attention of a Really Bad Dude.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

There Bias Two posted:

B

Also, I assume we drew the attention of a Really Bad Dude.

No poo poo, man. That guy was probably an ifrit himself, hence the whole burning the old guy inside out thing.

Ifrits technically aren't always bad news, especially since that guy seemed to be on our side. But they aren't friendly with other djinni, as you might have guessed.

Still, it's exciting!

I'll vote for F

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
awesome!

also B

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
B

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Well that was interesting.

A.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

B

Come on, with this we learn the power of dance!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A - because I like runestones

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
When this game started I thought it was going to be a Conan-style adventure where the character doesn't have magic, but certainly knows how to beat up sorcerers with nothing but wits and fortitude, but a genie wrangler sounds fun too.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Skellybones posted:

When this game started I thought it was going to be a Conan-style adventure where the character doesn't have magic, but certainly knows how to beat up sorcerers with nothing but wits and fortitude, but a genie wrangler sounds fun too.

Robert E. Howard's Conan is one of the many sources that inspired this story! (As an aside, I would totally play in a Conan cyoa, and someone should start it)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TheCog posted:

Robert E. Howard's Conan is one of the many sources that inspired this story! (As an aside, I would totally play in a Conan cyoa, and someone should start it)

Conan has some...unfortunate elements to it that might not play so well with a modern audience.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Also F

Pretty sure that was a Djinn, and one we've heard of before.

TheCog posted:

I'm not sure how you'd do a Conan story. It'd be half sex and we know how well goons handle that. Also, where would the tension come from? Now a Cormac Mac Art story...

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Conan has some...unfortunate elements to it that might not play so well with a modern audience.

LLSix posted:

I'm not sure how you'd do a Conan story. It'd be half sex and we know how well goons handle that. Also, where would the tension come from? Now a Cormac Mac Art story...

Look, I just want to kill sorcerers and whine about how the men of the cities are weak because they don't have big hulking muscles like we do, and then get smashed again and kill some more sorcerers and get treasure.

(Your points are well taken)

TheCog fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 15, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B let's become a flame dervish.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheCog posted:

Look, I just want to kill sorcerers and whine about how the men of the cities are weak because they don't have big hulking muscles like we do, and then get smashed again and kill some more sorcerers and get treasure.

(Your points are well taken)

Also kill a giant snake.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

B Dancin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

B

Flame Dervish starts here.