Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm #YankeesOnly as gently caress but AMERICA RUNS ON DUNKIN, BITCH.

I guess that’s true if you only consider the part of the country east of the Mississippi as America and completely ignore the west coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

I guess that’s true if you only consider the part of the country east of the Mississippi as America and completely ignore the west coast.

I mean...yeah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Red Sox, too. That obnoxious Dunkin' Donuts logo everywhere is a bit much.

Dunkin Donuts is a billion times more respectable than some of the awful Yankee sponsors, like, for instance, KOCH loving INDUSTRIES.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

God dammit, Ellsbury.

Jon Heyman posted:

There could be a crimp in the Yankees’ plan to trade Jacoby Ellsbury. Word is Ellsbury, who has a full no-trade clause, does not want to leave the team even though the Yankees have said publicly they plan on him being the fourth outfielder. Ellsbury seems to be hoping to win a spot anyway.

Is this the worst contract the Yankees have ever given? Is it worse than Pavano and Igawa?

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 7, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ihatepants posted:

God dammit, Ellsbury.

Is this the worst contract the Yankees have ever given? Is it worse than Pavano and Igawa?

the second A-Rod contract was also very bad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How to botch your job interview:

https://twitter.com/mikemayerMMO/status/938884927180955649

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

the second A-Rod contract was also very bad

A Rod's contracts were both fine.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

A Rod's contracts were both fine.

I mean, the second A-Rod deal was from 2008 to 2017. He was fine from 2008 to 2011, but 2012 he had the second hip surgery, 2013 was a partial season because of Biogenesis, he was gone for all of 2014, 2015 was a dead cat bounce, and he was released in 2016

there were only four seasons of good play in there, it was a hideously bad deal in hindsight

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

I mean, the second A-Rod deal was from 2008 to 2017. He was fine from 2008 to 2011, but 2012 he had the second hip surgery, 2013 was a partial season because of Biogenesis, he was gone for all of 2014, 2015 was a dead cat bounce, and he was released in 2016

there were only four seasons of good play in there, it was a hideously bad deal in hindsight

Aside from injury, they got their money's worth when he played. When you say "fine from 2008 to 2011" you mean MVP caliber third base. You can't say that for Ellsbury. Any long term deal is going to be frontloaded preformance wise and you will have a hard time finding better performance than they got in the first half of the deal.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 8, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rejoice you degenerates

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

Rejoice you degenerates

Where's Bryce gonna play though :sweatdrop:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Rejoice you degenerates

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Do you guys think they will have Judge or Stanton move to LF or are they both going to split time between RF and DH?

I see a lot of dumb Yankees fans claiming that neither can play left because LF is so large in Yankee Stadium that you almost need to be a center fielder there, but RF in Marlins Park is more spacious than LF in Yankee Stadium. That and if Manny Ramirez could shift to LF because of Trot Nixon in RF, I’m sure either Judge or Stanton can play there because they’re both much better defenders than Manny ever was. Also I assume that they want a lot of the DH at bats to go to Sanchez as well when he needs to rest.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think they'll mainly cycle RF/DH. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them playing both corner OF spots a decent amount in Spring Training.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 14, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think based on what Stanton said in his presser, he's willing to do anything as long as it helps the team win. I could definitely see an LF/RF rotation maybe, but I also think RF/DH will help preserve the both of them in the long run. Both Judge and Stanton are huge guys and if they can rest their knees and legs it'll be a lot I think.

Opening Day I think we see Judge in right and Stanton in left

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I think they'll mainly cycle RF/DH. But I would be surprised to see them playing both corner OF spots a decent amount in Spring Training.

Fair enough. I just think it’s weird that the Yankees have been emphasizing with their minor leaguers to play multiple positions to maintain flexibility, but don’t want to play one (or both) corner outfielder to the opposite corner.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Fair enough. I just think it’s weird that the Yankees have been emphasizing with their minor leaguers to play multiple positions to maintain flexibility, but don’t want to play one (or both) corner outfielder to the opposite corner.

gently caress I meant to say I wouldn't be surprised. This is like the 5th time I've made that typo in the last week or so, what's wrong with me.

Mostly I think they'll just want to keep Gardy in the lineup as much as possible, but I guess they could slide him over to CF. A lot probably depends on how Hicks does, really.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
How am I just discovering this thread. Liked and subscribed.

Go the Yankees, bitch.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So next year's outfield will be Stanford LF, Harper CF, Judge RF?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

C. Everett Koop posted:

So next year's outfield will be Stanford LF, Harper CF, Judge RF?

And Machado at 3B!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

And Machado at 3B!

If there was a choice between one of Harper or Machado, Harper has to be the choice, though, right? I guess it all depends on how Andujar and Torres do.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

The final deal was about 9.4 million per WAR (that's without bonuses) at a time when good free agents would get something like 4-5 million per WAR (20 million per year at 4-5 WAR per season). He was supposed to get bonuses for passing certain HR milestones, so that would have added a lot of money to the deal.

It would have been far worse without the suspension, since the Yankees only paid him about $2MM and he get a chance to rehab and come back for a nice 3 win season after.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ihatepants posted:

If there was a choice between one of Harper or Machado, Harper has to be the choice, though, right? I guess it all depends on how Andujar and Torres do.

Personally I’d take the 3b every time unless Machado puts up another year like this one. Especially on a team with Judge and Stanton.

But its hard to say. Harper’s bat looks otherworldly at this point when he’s healthy, but he can’t stay healthy.

Yankees will not end up with either of them though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mikeraskol posted:

Personally I’d take the 3b every time unless Machado puts up another year like this one. Especially on a team with Judge and Stanton.

But its hard to say. Harper’s bat looks otherworldly at this point when he’s healthy, but he can’t stay healthy.

Yankees will not end up with either of them though.

It's a tough call that depends on a lot of moving parts right now. Also I think Harper has gotten the same "Can't stay healthy" label that Stanton without really earning it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
He was hurt in 2013, 2014 and 2017, missing significant time in each season. And he was most likely hurt almost the entirety of 2016. He played, but the injury caused him to be a significantly worse player. I think its earned - the guy literally cannot stay healthy except for the one full year where he won the MVP.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The ZiPS projections for the 2018 Yankees are out, and they're uh...good.

Also, check this out:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankee world is hyping Bird up so much this winter that I'm 100% sure he's going to get hurt 2 weeks into Spring Training.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The Yankee world is hyping Bird up so much this winter that I'm 100% sure he's going to get hurt 2 weeks into Spring Training.

Don't say this. Without bird the lineup is very right handed.

Edit: thought more about this post. Gardner/Didi/hicks/bird is half the roster so nvm

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Heck to you! He's gonna spread his wings and flyyyyyyyyyy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khD080nZVc0

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I enjoy that Giancarlo draws a Harmon Killebrew comp

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Is that over Ortiz' whole career? His OPS+ was only 116?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Is that over Ortiz' whole career? His OPS+ was only 116?

I think they're age-specific comps, so it doesn't actually mean much since Ortiz was a late bloomer but still.

EDIT: OK not age-specific, but based on age for the comp baselines? I'm not sure I 100% understand it but I think it means it's better than I thought it was.

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/949395629855465477

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 5, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Weird these projections seem to love Jabari Blash. I always thought he was definitely going to be DFAed, especially since the Yankees have so many outfielders already.

Edit: Also holy poo poo, the projected ISO for Giancarlo is .383; that is absurd.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 8, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am so happy that CC is back.

https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/951118024316260352

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

What a bad rear end.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I love that CC is owning the fact that Yankee Stadium is a little rear end park

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That quote owns bones.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You should all listen to R2C2, it's so good.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
THIS YEAR IS GONNA BE GREEEEAAATTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Michael Kay claimed on the radio today that the Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7/160 but he didn't accept within 48 hours so they passed

I don't know why Michael Kay thinks he has access or sources

• Locked thread