Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
You neglected to mention Rufus Hound's Monk showing up. I'm always glad for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress, I'm sold on the title names alone. The Tyrants of Logic is a fantastic name.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

You neglected to mention Rufus Hound's Monk showing up. I'm always glad for that.

Didn't mention that because they'd said he was going to be in it when they first announced the set a month or so back but had only done the ~mysterious tease that we'll announce later~ for the second story which now, being later, has been announced.

Though that certainly is a selling point, too. The short trip he narrated featuring his Monk and the Third Doctor was brilliant so more of that pairing is very promising.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Didn't mention that because they'd said he was going to be in it when they first announced the set a month or so back but had only done the ~mysterious tease that we'll announce later~ for the second story which now, being later, has been announced.

Oh. Well okay then. Cheers!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Box of Bunnies posted:

The deets for series four of the Third Doctor Adventures have been updated, confirming that the second story features the Cybermen and is written by Marc Platt.

This isn't a range I've really paid much attention to so far apart from buying the first set on sale (but not having yet listened to it) given that a) Pertwee's era is one where I'm missing is proper TV experience (ahead of only Davison in number of stories I've seen) and b) the fact that the lead is a recast in full cast dramas also kinda lowers the "it's the originals!" draw a bit (Treloar doing narration and the Doctor is one thing, I can buy that, there's just this dumb arbitrary line in my head when you ditch the narration and move to full cast. Same as I like The Early Adventures for their "lost serial soundtrack" feel but wouldn't want Peter Purves or William Russell playing the Doctor 100% in full cast audios).

But holy moly if "the Third Doctor faces off against the Cybermen in a story penned by Marc 'Spare Parts and Silver Turk' Platt" isn't a "shut up and take my money" prospect. I've been waiting for an accessible 3 vs Cybes story forever given that the previous CC Big Fin did featuring that matchup is stuck in the "CD only" ghetto of the first series.

I'm more accepting of Treloar since Katy gave him her stamp of approval

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I fixed the Discord link in the OP. Join us, it's very lonely.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My santee's gifts are in the mail! I'm quite happy with what I've sent this year.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Meanwhile, I recieved a poster tube containing this delightful portrait:

and no other information. Who could have done this?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

Meanwhile, I recieved a poster tube containing this delightful portrait:

and no other information. Who could have done this?

After The War posted:

I see what you did there, DoctorWhat! You'll get yours... oh yes, you'll get yours! :sassargh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Is that a confession?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

Is that a confession?

It is a proclamation!

Normally, I'd have everything shipped to me, then combine it all into a single package, but this was such a weird shape, I thought it would be best to have it sent directly to you. eBay doesn't have the gift options of Amazon (at least without asking the seller to write you a cryptic note), but that's where you gotta go to get crazy poo poo from the '80s. The other presents are on my table awaiting a box, but will be in transit soon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well I loved it. I need more wall art.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I was pretty excited when I found it. An 80s Who artifact I'd never come across! Thanks to Google Reverse Image search, I was able to determine that it's by Andrew Skilleter, who did many Target novel and VHS box covers, from his 1986 Doctor Who Calendar. I don't know how long he made the print available, but there don't seem to be a lot around.

Now, the other present is the one that made me message Maera Sior with "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo." I don't think the seller knew what they had - someone else was listing the same thing for $60. The whole thing ended up easily within the standard DWSS budget.

It's something else from the '80s, and we'll leave it at that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well holy moly, now you've got my interest piqued.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

It's something else from the '80s, and we'll leave it at that.

Is it Ray from Delta and the Bannermen? :shobon:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Is it Ray from Delta and the Bannermen? :shobon:

It's the preserved head of Stubby Kaye.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Both right!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Ian Levine's talent

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
He said 80’s, not 70’s.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A random Doctor Who fan who was born in the 80s.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just saw that BBC America is reserving two hours for the Christmas special. Holy hell, what's the run-time in England, 90 minutes?

e: Upon further review, only 85 minutes are actually the episode, the rest is a special farewell to 12.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 14, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The War Master boxset had been released

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

And it has a weird theme

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So today was the Red Nose Breakfast with the Doctors where several people who donated got to have breakfast with Davison, Colin, Syl, David, Matt, Paul, and Capaldi.

Capaldi and Paul ultimately couldn't be there, so they found an interesting workaround. They were also joined by Peter Purves, Freema, Moffat, and Richard Curtis.

Check out this twitter account to see pics:

https://twitter.com/emmafreud

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Oh God if only I had more time.

They say... there used to be Time Travel.... in the old days....

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Quality Scifi Journalistic Site IO9 tries to pass this off as a Controversial Opinion From Stephen Moffat:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/doctor-who-is-the-greatest-television-show-ever-made-a-1821292332

quote:

Doctor Who Is 'The Greatest Television Show Ever Made,' According to Steven Moffat

Steven Moffat’s tenure with BBC’s intrepid regenerating Time Lord is coming to a close, and he’s making a very bold assertion as to the Doctor’s quality and cultural impact. He’s saying it’s better than The Wire, people.

“It’s worth saying, because I don’t think it’s ever said enough… the reason Doctor Who is as successful – I mean humanly successful – for so long in such an enduring way – and I’m just gonna say it because I don’t ever say it, but now I’m leaving I’ll say it – it is actually the greatest television show ever made...

“There are people who became writers because of Doctor Who. Loads of them.

“There are people who became artists because of Doctor Who.

“There are people who became actors because of Doctor Who. Two of them have played the Doctor.

“There are people, believe it or not, who become scientists because of Doctor Who. That seems improbable given we said the moon was an egg, you’d think they’d have a problem with it.”

What they leave out is that Moffat has held this opinion since 1979...
:thunk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I am the Master, and you will obey me!
__________\

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

McCoy looks great with a beard!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

An extremely Merry Santa to my mysterious benefactor, who could not have done a better job.

I had thought that my wife could not have a happier Hanukkah, what with the defeat of Roy Moore, our ultrasound pictures confirming our happy news, and with the upcoming joint playthrough of Breath of the Wild, but then she got to laugh at our bird's face when he really wanted to nibble on my Secret Santa gift... but was terrified of it:

My apologies for the not-so-great photo. We took many, and spent more time than I am comfortable admitting trying to take a good one, but I really wanted Yoshi (the bird) to be in the photo, and he's tough to photograph in the best of circumstances. After all, some of it was for him. :)

In case the camera glare is covering anything up, I got two absolutely incredible serials: The Ark in Space and The Brain of Morbius and also: MST3K: Volume V, which has some of my favorites, including the absolute classic, Time Chasers. I immediately turned over both of the Doctor Who ones and discovered that BOTH had commentary from Tom Baker! Expect reports! That's to say nothing of the bird treats. He's scared of them now, but he already loves them if I break off pieces and let him nibble on them. I managed to get a video of how happy he was after eating some of it (I don't know why it's sideways I am not good with compu):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyW5hNeUwpI

I look forward to the middle of next week, when my own Santee will have a little something thrown down their chimney. :ninja:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yessss :getin:

There should have been gift note things, did Amazon not include them? Either way, glad you three are enjoying everything!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yessss :getin:

There should have been gift note things, did Amazon not include them? Either way, glad you three are enjoying everything!

Just found them! Glad we used the exact same language to describe Time Chasers, and I :lol:d at "an oversized Fozzie Bear with a plastic bowl for a head" to describe Morbius.

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year, Big Mean Jerk! I'm definitely going to enjoy every second of the Tom Baker commentary and every second of reliving some of my favorite MST3K episodes in high quality. Thank you for you kind and thoughtful gifts. If I can get a better video of the bird enjoying his treats, I'll be sure to PM it to you. :)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Excellent. If you’re missing any MST3k sets, check out amazon this week. They had several of the newer releases for less than $20, the lowest I’ve seen in a long time.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

our ultrasound pictures confirming our happy news

Congratulations! When the rebellious teenage years come and they need terrible Doctor Who opinions to piss you off, we'll be right here. :getin:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The audio commentary begins with "This was one of the most exciting for me, really... and I can't remember a thing about it. I'm Tom Baker."

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

The audio commentary begins with "This was one of the most exciting for me, really... and I can't remember a thing about it. I'm Tom Baker."

I mean that tracks

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Congratulations! When the rebellious teenage years come and they need terrible Doctor Who opinions to piss you off, we'll be right here. :getin:

Thanks! We're both very excited. I have been shocked into crying from happiness a lot.

Tom is surprisingly sedate so far in the commentary, except for one moment when he got a little excited by the soundtrack (and Elizabeth Sladen's story that she saw a French version in which they changed the soundtrack), and a hearty laugh when the camera was pointed toward his and Harry's butts, with a "Now there's a good shot."

Philip Hinchcliffe just seems overjoyed to be asked to speak about anything. Elizabeth Sladen has a ton of interesting stuff to say.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
More pictures of Yoshi are required

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bafflegab, who do the wonderful "The Scarifyers" series, are going to HELL

https://twitter.com/Bafflegabble/status/941663086234226688

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

Bafflegab, who do the wonderful "The Scarifyers" series, are going to HELL

https://twitter.com/Bafflegabble/status/941663086234226688

Is it going to be a dramatization or a straight reading? It'll take a pretty deft hand to adapt Hellbound Heart either way. Barker has a wonderful visual imagination, but tends to describe it very specifically in prose, so something that should be a haunting, powerful image comes across as "goofy campfire story."

Can we have Doug Jones as an old-school hammy Who villain, though? Pleeeeease?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

from a while back but this is a yorkshire accent btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxlrF_pHi8k&t=20s

• Locked thread