Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gejnor posted:

I too have been tempted to do so, mainly to reduce the end turn times wait but those dragons without breath attacks stop me every time.

Its the single biggest QoL change for me, dragons having breaths own so much its not even funny.

Plus spell aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

Plus spell aiming.

Wait how do you aim spells?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Wait how do you aim spells?

Put the cursor on the thing you want to hit :downsrim:

Hold left click when aiming a breath/wind spell.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, I'd like to play #1 races in #2 but I can't play ME anymore. like 2 minute turn times and each turn I'm making like 1 or 2 decisions early game. intolerable. I really do hope they manage to optimize it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I upgraded my computer for that and still remember when people laughed at that itt

but it really did help

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
TW1 turn time in TW2 would be a loving god send. poo poo takes so loving long I get bored of a new run after ten turns.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
I've played two Skaven campaigns the past week and the turn times are the killer right now, I mean I don't actually mind controlling so many armies and settlements anymore (I used to give up and start a new one once I reach that point) maybe its because Skaven play so differently or I am simply getting used to it, either way... I installed these two mods and they lowered the turn times a bit.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1159014317
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1217281194

I have a theory that the camera on the campaign map is angled in a way that you see a lot further which even tho you don't actually see the very distant armies they still play that movement animation. Which in lategame adds up a lot because there are a bazillion armies on the map doing the fast but not fast enough movement. I guess the best way to test this is to have your camera in the upper left corner and then ending your turn.

But for now I am too tired to go back into Warhammer: The End Turns I think I'm just gonna go play something else while I wait for the reprisal update... which they have yet to announce a date?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jum-Jum posted:

I've played two Skaven campaigns the past week and the turn times are the killer right now, I mean I don't actually mind controlling so many armies and settlements anymore (I used to give up and start a new one once I reach that point) maybe its because Skaven play so differently or I am simply getting used to it, either way... I installed these two mods and they lowered the turn times a bit.

I have a theory that the camera on the campaign map is angled in a way that you see a lot further which even tho you don't actually see the very distant armies they still play that movement animation. Which in lategame adds up a lot because there are a bazillion armies on the map doing the fast but not fast enough movement. I guess the best way to test this is to have your camera in the upper left corner and then ending your turn.

But for now I am too tired to go back into Warhammer: The End Turns I think I'm just gonna go play something else while I wait for the reprisal update... which they have yet to announce a date?

Even in Warhammer 1 I can speed up turn times a poo poo load later on by just disabling movement animations during them, and the camera in that game doesn't seem to be as offensively slow as the one in 2. They really need the ability to disable/enable move animations for specific factions.

Like, If I'm at war with the Beastmen and I'm following their armies around I really want to be able to see where they're going during the end of the turn, but I absolutely don't give a gently caress about my ally's five hundred agents on the other side of the world assassinating orcs.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 14, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

Even in Warhammer 1 I can speed up turn times a poo poo load later on by just disabling movement animations during them, and the camera in that game doesn't seem to be as offensively slow as the one in 2. They really need the ability to disable/enable move animations for specific factions.

You can do that in 2, if you hit the pause button while the AI is taking their turn you can set the camera settings each faction like whether they show hero/army movement or how fast.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Trujillo posted:

You can do that in 2, if you hit the pause button while the AI is taking their turn you can set the camera settings each faction like whether they show hero/army movement or how fast.

I'm impressed that they thought to do this and then made the camera pan 300% slower.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Jum-Jum posted:

The Reprisal update is out right now along with the lab thing.

Patch Notes here:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/reprisal-update-final-patch-notes

Basically it's almost identical to the beta version, they fixed a number of very small (mostly sound related) bugs, the most interesting bits are what they're promising for the January update.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 14, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

madmac posted:

Patch Notes here:

Basically it's almost identical to the beta version, they fixed a number of very small (mostly sound related) bugs, the most interesting bits are what they're promising for the January update.
They mention improving/changing Old World LL traits and then also specifically call out re-doing Bretonnian traits and technologies (presumably adding variants of the "anti-x faction tech?), as well as "multiple new buildings for a range of settlements" and fixes that they hope will end the Beardtide, all of which sounds good.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
So I gave up on my Queek campaign at turn 250 (omfg probably longest campaign I've played tbh) and I'm at around 150 on my Skrolk one, when the hell does Chaos arrive? Do they even arrive as Skaven? They entered way earlier when I played Teclis and I had way less settlements.

EDIT: Okay so it goes after strength rank and I am rank 4. Its hard to beat freakin' Lothern tho, the powerhouse island.

Jum-Jum fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 14, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

madmac posted:

Patch Notes here:

Sounds like the January update is going to be pretty big. Alongside Tomb Kings and whatever the free DLC is, I guess?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
All of a sudden starting getting a lot of issues with this game today, trying to download the update, it said that I didn't have enough disk space despite me having 25 gigs free. I assumed that was because of the whole "you need to have the whole games worth of space in case of an issue" thing, so just uninstalled the game and redownloaded the whole thing rather than gently caress about with it. Now attempting to load any Mortal Empires campaign, I get a Windows error message saying my computer is low on memory and I have to close the program to prevent information loss. Never seen that before, should I be seriously concerned or is it likely an issue with the update? Vortex campaign still loads up fine and Mortal Empires worked just fine before the patch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jum-Jum posted:

So I gave up on my Queek campaign at turn 250 (omfg probably longest campaign I've played tbh) and I'm at around 150 on my Skrolk one, when the hell does Chaos arrive? Do they even arrive as Skaven? They entered way earlier when I played Teclis and I had way less settlements.

EDIT: Okay so it goes after strength rank and I am rank 4. Its hard to beat freakin' Lothern tho, the powerhouse island.

IIRC in ME it's based on the amount of contiguous provinces you control.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

quote:

– Fixed a bug where moving the camera on the far-right side of the Mortal Empires camping map would cause the screen to render as black, until the camera is moved away from – that location.

What odd phrasing :thunk:

Mods broken by update. Good night to go see new Star Wars

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 15, 2017

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

IIRC in ME it's based on the amount of contiguous provinces you control.

So as WE there is a good chance that I won't ever see them unless I uselessly paint the map with my lovely outposts?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Laboratory verdict: IT'S RAININ MEN

HALLELUJAH IT'S RAININ MEN

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
10x unit sizes, huh? Let's try it out.

Wait a minute, what's that?

Zoom!

ENHANCE

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

10x unit sizes, huh? Let's try it out.

Wait a minute, what's that?

Zoom!

ENHANCE

:guitar: And he's buying a Stairway to heaven.... :guitar:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey, I bet this has been gone over before but can anyone recommend a good high elf army composition for the final vortex battle? I play on Normal difficulty and usually just use multiple stacks of low-level infantry/archers with a couple of bolt-throwers along for the ride but that doesn't seem to be answer for the last fight.

Recommendations for other races also welcome.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
All the seaboys, some bolt throwers, a couple of dragons and maybe some dragon princes

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zudgemud posted:

So as WE there is a good chance that I won't ever see them unless I uselessly paint the map with my lovely outposts?

You need an absolute bugfuck insane shitload of amber to level up the tree in Mortal Empires, so you'll need a lot of lovely outposts or an improbable web of alliances.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, I bet this has been gone over before but can anyone recommend a good high elf army composition for the final vortex battle? I play on Normal difficulty and usually just use multiple stacks of low-level infantry/archers with a couple of bolt-throwers along for the ride but that doesn't seem to be answer for the last fight.

I ran with:
lord
loremaster
eagle claw
eagle claw
phoenix guard
phoenix guard
dragon princes
dragon princes
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
armoured archers
armoured archers
armoured archers
armoured archers

but given how stupidly OP the vortex spell is, you can safely run with a lord and 19 seaboys.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The Laboratory is letting me answer the really important questions like "what happens when three treemen fight 25,000 skavenslaves with the gravity turned way down".

Turns out, the slaves lose and also a lot of them enter orbit.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The final battle is really easy, get a lot of archers, some good frontliner units and you are set. A good way to kill lords fast is advisable though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Asehujiko posted:

I ran with:
lord
loremaster
eagle claw
eagle claw
phoenix guard
phoenix guard
dragon princes
dragon princes
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
swordmasters
armoured archers
armoured archers
armoured archers
armoured archers

are your number keys broken or something

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wafflecopper posted:

are your number keys broken or something

Fine, I'll fix it.

Asehujiko posted:

I ran with:
1 lord
1 loremaster
1 eagle claw
1 eagle claw
1 phoenix guard
1 phoenix guard
1 dragon princes
1 dragon princes
1 swordmasters
1 swordmasters
1 swordmasters
1 swordmasters
1 swordmasters
1 swordmasters
1 swordmasters
1 swordmasters
1 armoured archers
1 armoured archers
1 armoured archers
1 armoured archers

but given how stupidly OP the vortex spell is, you can safely run with 1 lord and 19 seaboys.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Ah damnit, I let the game update without thinking and now its just crashing with all the mods not patched yet. I'd roll back but I think some of the mods updated so that probably wont work either.

Whats the deal with this "Intel Multi0-core" Laboratory thing? They're making the game take more advantage of all cores? Sounds like a big boost to Ryzen users more than anything else if that's the case.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Having a hard time updating my mods since the update. Tweak doesn't seem to be using my previous changes. Even though they're still listed under Display Local Changes the tables themselves don't have any of the new data.

edit: Some of the data seems to be there, actually, but whole tables (start_pos diplomacy, effect bundles) are missing changes, so even the things that are present aren't intact and are missing lookups.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 15, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sword masters are amazing line infantry if you're a fat rich elf. Otherwise gently caress sea guard, get a row of archers to shoot then engage with axe dudes and cheap cav to sweep them quickly rather than engaging in some stupid attrition fight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

Sword masters are amazing line infantry if you're a fat rich elf. Otherwise gently caress sea guard, get a row of archers to shoot then engage with axe dudes and cheap cav to sweep them quickly rather than engaging in some stupid attrition fight.

The problem with swordmasters is charge defence. Heavy cavalry will mess up your lines with a decent charge, which the ai will absolutely do when they see one unit amid a line of spearmen.

But sometimes that's preferable to watching those cavalry units circle around to find some missile troops to mess up. The swordmasters will usually still win, at least.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I really wonder what CA did to make the game run so well in the Lab versus the regular battles, I can have matches with 10,000~ dudes in the lab and maintain better performance than a regular one with just 3,000.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

I really wonder what CA did to make the game run so well in the Lab versus the regular battles, I can have matches with 10,000~ dudes in the lab and maintain better performance than a regular one with just 3,000.

I'm pretty sure it exists solely to test multi-core usage, so it's likely taking better advantage of your CPU power.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Reprisal update posted:

Fixed a bug where moving the camera on the far-right side of the Mortal Empires camping map would cause the screen to render as black, until the camera is moved away from – that location.

The strangest thing about that bug is that I only experienced after the update. Now my campaign screen goes black when looking at the north.
I thought items in the changelog were about bugs removed, not bugs added.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

heres a weird vr podcast thing about total warhammer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/593930/Total_War_Warhammer_2__FOO_Show_Episode_2/

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Oh poo poo son, it's our very own Nanomashoes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVy6AsVyctw

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like that turin is moving into more casting and less playing due to his messed up wrists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

LuiCypher posted:

Oh poo poo son, it's our very own Nanomashoes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVy6AsVyctw

Please remember us now that you are a goon superstar.