Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Gridlocked posted:

Hot take: vocaloid music is utter trash fire garbage.
I mean... it's a tool? That's been used by good and professional musicians? It's bad if you treat it as a genre of music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The idea of a virtual pop idol has been such a constant theme in anime since the 1980’s it made perfect sense to me that of course Vocaloid is not just a sound font but a cartoon character with fans and other media. But Hatsune Miku has been a ridiculously popular character for a decade now? She was emblazoned on a race car, or course.

This Domino’s commercial for their Hatsune Miku pizza app is beyond hilarious https://youtu.be/p8E3QCT4FEE

bad day fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 15, 2017

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

PetraCore posted:

I mean... it's a tool? That's been used by good and professional musicians? It's bad if you treat it as a genre of music.

What if you have the vocaloid dance on a pizza box?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
crucify every person who "identifies" as an anime character immediately, i assure you nothing of value will be lost

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ayn Randi posted:

crucify every person who "identifies" as an anime character immediately, i assure you nothing of value will be lost

Weird obsessions are weird

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
In 2017 it’s no longer acceptable to just enjoy a thing. It has to become part of your identity somehow.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

bad day posted:

In 2017 it’s no longer acceptable to just enjoy a thing. It has to become part of your identity somehow.

IM CONSUMER RIIIICK

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

John_A_Tallon posted:

What if you have the vocaloid dance on a pizza box?
Miku's 10 years old so there'd better be no grease antics.

:doink:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
This aired in the United States. On network television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIxI1eB2-vo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Volcott posted:

This aired in the United States. On network television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIxI1eB2-vo

I have so many questions to ask as soon as I'm not cowering in fear

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

Hey Clifford, how much ya bench?

285 going on 315

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bad day posted:

The idea of a virtual pop idol has been such a constant theme in anime since the 1980’s it made perfect sense to me that of course Vocaloid is not just a sound font but a cartoon character with fans and other media. But Hatsune Miku has been a ridiculously popular character for a decade now? She was emblazoned on a race car, or course.

This Domino’s commercial for their Hatsune Miku pizza app is beyond hilarious https://youtu.be/p8E3QCT4FEE

all we need is for a rich weeb to try to marry Hatsune Miku and this book from 1996 will be reality https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idoru

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Literally A Person posted:

It's the same thing that happened with r/incels. You look at those people and at first you're like, "Okay these crazies are loving hilarious." Slowly you begin to realize that they are indeed mentally ill and all of a sudden you're like, "am I bad for laughing at people that obviously have some kind of serious personality disorder?" It just starts to get less funny as you notice that something so absurd it must be a joke really isn't and the only people more mentally ill than the people buying it are the people selling it.

It's just kind of numbingly disquieting.

STARCITIZEN: It’s just kind of numbingly disquieting

... anyone have predictions as to what could/might happen with these new legal developments?

I watched the video where Roberts kept trying to play in front of the crowd and it was bizarre how multiple times people went apeshit for the helmet “flip and put on” animation.

:confused:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Beet Wagon posted:

I have so many questions to ask as soon as I'm not cowering in fear

We have such sights to show you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJ1i5lCw0M

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lowtax posted:

No because Bitcoin exists and works as intended.

"Works"

"Intended"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm fascinated by Clifford aka Miku. It looks like the guy lives in a 70s double wide in the sticks and spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on SC ships and collectors edition video games and anime weirdness. I get that everyone has different priorities and interests but his situation is just so over the top to me that it makes me want to get a psychology degree and do a masters thesis on him.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

all we need is for a rich weeb to try to marry Hatsune Miku and this book from 1996 will be reality https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idoru

I'm re-reading this trilogy right now! It's weird to think that this takes place in 2005, when he wrote it back in the early 90's.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how this whole shebang is still going despite how horrifically terrible it will probably turn out for the diehard backers.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Unfunny Poster posted:

I like how this whole shebang is still going despite how horrifically terrible it will probably turn out for the diehard backers.

This basically applies to life in general.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If Crobberts had just taken Arena Commander and made a bunch of missions in it and had Hammill do some lovely FMV cut scenes it would have been out 3 years ago and might not have been terrible since reportedly he didn't write the script himself. But he had to make GTA5 in space so now it's 3 years late and maybe we'll get to see a bullshot of it this month and it still probably won't be out for another year or two if ever.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Unfunny Poster posted:

Even better, if you go back to right before the release of No Man's Sky you can watch various folks say soemthing like this:

"Star Citizen is a sham and will never be released. At least we have No Man's Sky coming out soon!"

I can't wait for the nerd riots that spawn from SC crashing and burning

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Game development isn't magic. It's not a wizards school full of mages doing arcane rituals to create cool new game systems never before seen

You can take a look at where gaming is today and easily be able to determine which of the claims Star Citizen is making are realistic or complete bullshit. They're not even making their own revolutionary unique game engine, they're just cannibalizing other mediocre engines... They're not bringing anything amazingly cool or new to the table.

They're building all these elaborate systems before they've even figured out how to get more than 15 people in the same instance. :psyduck:

IF they want to make an MMO where thousands of people can create space civilizations and live their space-lives... then they gotta get that specific backbone of the game made first. But I think they know it's not possible and will probably just instance the game to hell so you'll only ever have like 20 people in an area... which means fleet battles of 10vs10...which isn't exactly the dramatic space fleet encounter the nerds are hoping for.

Nerds want super elaborate boarding animations and helmets with 4000 moving parts, fully destructible ships with 10 active people in them and always fully rendered ship interiors and poo poo and that will just not work in a big multiplayer game, certainly not an MMO.

Maybe in another 10 years???

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fartbox posted:

Maybe in another 10 years???

now you're getting it!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Wasn't it basically proven that the engine they are based on cannot handle a gameworld size to the scale that SC wants (space, planets, solar systems, etc.) so they made everything super tiny to make the game world bigger by comparison - and this is the root cause of all of their jankyness and hilariously bad collision detection?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Wasn't it basically proven that the engine they are based on cannot handle a gameworld size to the scale that SC wants (space, planets, solar systems, etc.) so they made everything super tiny to make the game world bigger by comparison - and this is the root cause of all of their jankyness and hilariously bad collision detection?

I don't know if it was proven necessarily, but it's a handy theory that explains a lot of the bugs (like being able to see someone's flashlight from space when they're on a planet below you)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't know if it was proven necessarily, but it's a handy theory that explains a lot of the bugs (like being able to see someone's flashlight from space when they're on a planet below you)

Wait so they effectively turned the planets into marbles, screwing up the physics simulations?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why would a rendering engine care what scale anything is at? its all just numbers, big or small. that sounds like sorcery

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gridlocked posted:

Hot take: vocaloid music is utter trash fire garbage.

I thought the wierd babbling noises that the AIs in Peace Walker make was cool and those are made from Vocaloid

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Unfunny Poster posted:

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/934102043404460033

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why wouldnt they do it like this? What the point of having a literal planet sized planet full of procedurally generated nothing

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Meme Emulator posted:

Why wouldnt they do it like this? What the point of having a literal planet sized planet full of procedurally generated nothing

Best guess is if you have an entire game universe and engine based around realistic physics so that one can seamlessly walk around on a planet and then get in a spaceship, leave a planet and fly off into space, do space battles, dock at space stations, land on another planet, and walk outside - simply shrinking everything in the universe to make it fit is going to throw off how all the game objects interact with each other.

As a probably bad example shrunken enemies means shrunken hitboxes - if you randomly shoot something that's 1000 pixels there's 1000 chances for a hit but at 10 pixels you only have 10 chances even if the target is "technically" the same size. This will change how the game plays, simply by changing the way numerical values are calculated in the game engine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

minecraft players seem to like it? :shrug:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rutibex posted:

why would a rendering engine care what scale anything is at? its all just numbers, big or small. that sounds like sorcery

If you make everything really small and then forget to change things like the light falloff values it results in funny poo poo like a commando on the ground being able to blind a commando in space with their every day flashlight

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also someone with more understanding of video games making from the SCAM thread wrote a big thing about how it fucks with the physics if you make everything tiny but my brain was too smooth to understand it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

Once you scale down things too much, you start running out of decimal places and stuff like that. At least that's the case in rendering and modelling software. I assume there's an equivalent problem in runtime equations.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Rendering doesn't care as much, however all physics are based on somewhat default scales for an engine which is why their collision and physics for everything are so hosed. It's 1000 times worse right now than the buggiest CryEngine games released previously. Freaking character models get randomly squished in space and then stretch out to thousands of kilometers. No other CryEngine game had this ever. There is no other explanation.

Going too small on scale will also start messing up your location calculations as they won't be as precise, hence why you can clip through everything in SC including through any ships or space stations.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 15, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rutibex posted:

my dude we are not talking about accurate mathematical simulations here, we are talking about mathematical simulations running on actual computers which are kind of total pants at actually doing math sometimes

like, i know that that's what we actually use computers for, so it's counterintuitive, but if you just add .1 + .1 + .1 to itself a few times over you'll end up with weird poo poo like .3000000000000004 instead of .3 unless you go out of your way to avoid it because binary is absolutely godawful at representing decimal places. loving with the scale that something is generally assumed to be working under is going to make weird stuff like that show up way more often

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I still think implementing some sort of scaling option is the right choice here when the other option is to keep everything to scale. Even if the planets are tiny in the astronomical sense, and its not like any of us would be able to tell, a "tiny" planet is still an absolutely gigantic piece of empty space. Theres no point to having all that space, especially if you want the players to interact with one another. I can understand why theyre trying to hack this scaling solution in

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Also rounding errors can wreak havoc when you're in tiny scales. If two objects collide and they are both 1 unit wide, an rounding error of 0.001 isn't a very big deal (happens all the time in games, because fixing it is too much effort).

When two objects that are 0.001 units wide collide and have a rounding error of 0.001, bad things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
They're just trying to model particle quantum mechanics.