Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Thanks, I was thinking more along the lines of something that had a drive for backups built in. Maybe it's silly to combine these things in case one half dies/obsoletes or whatever, but I'm very very attached to my 'Just Works' Time Machine backup situation.

I found the manual I used to help my brother set his up and you can totally use it for TimeMachine backups. It has USB 3.0 and you just need to connect a USB drive formatted "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

This is direct from the manual:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Reimaging these new macbook has been fun. Not at all insane.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Proteus Jones posted:

I found the manual I used to help my brother set his up and you can totally use it for TimeMachine backups. It has USB 3.0 and you just need to connect a USB drive formatted "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

This is direct from the manual:

Oh cool, that's "just works" enough for me, and probably a gently caress of a lot cheaper for getting TB of data then buying anything with an Apple logo on it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any recs for a charger for the MacBook Air 13” (mid 2013)? Obviously the Apple charger is probably great, but it’s also fairly expensive and if I can get something that’ll last and offers the same performance I’d go for it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Any recs for a charger for the MacBook Air 13” (mid 2013)? Obviously the Apple charger is probably great, but it’s also fairly expensive and if I can get something that’ll last and offers the same performance I’d go for it.

Unfortunately since it requires a MagSafe2 connector, you're stuck with Apple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I used this one for over a year with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EC1XZ2C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I understand you've used it fine, but personally, I would never trust a no name cheap as dirt charger.

If it were Anker, they've built enough of a reputation to trust. But WEGWANG? Not a chance.

When "sparks" is one of the words that pops up in the dynamic keywords for the reviews, you tend to pause.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cheaping out on the power supply for your laptop that costs close to $1000 is the ultimate tomfoolery

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
My 2013 macbook pro automatically updated to high sierra about a week ago and has been 100% non-functional since. Tried rebooting and reinstalling, restarting, running disk utility, etc. Nothing works so far. I haven't done anything unusual with the computer. The update is the only main difference. At first it was very sluggish, now I can't even get the hard drive to boot

I'm not really a Mac person so I have no idea how to do any maintenance or keep the thing running efficiently. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ive had the same thing happen to multiple macs. The fix ended up being booting a seperate HD with MacOS loaded, backing up files, and then erasing the HD and manually rebuilding. Unless you have time machine of course.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
If you have an osx boot drive and a copy of Disk Warrior it can sometimes fix weird dumb problems like that. Otherwise youre looking at a time machine backup, or failing that *boom* erase and install

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Disk Warrior hasn't been updated for High Sierra's APFS format, so it's useless in this scenario.

HS automatically converts your filesystem from HFS+ to APFS if your Mac is SSD based; you can manually disallow this conversion but it's not super easy to do.

TechTool Pro supposedly just got updated for APFS compatibility but ANECDOTALLY I've never found it to be much more functional than Disk Utility.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Ah, good to know. Hopefully disk warrior 5.1 will come out before I need to use it on anything HS

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone else run out of USB 3 ports and had to use a hub to connect a hard disk? Any degradation in speed/performance or anything? I have a decent enough Anker powered hub at least and there's nothing high draw on it. My 4 USB sockets are used to power that, 2 external HDDs and a 2 bay DAS. I'll probably get a NAS at some point but I just want to extend storage one more time first.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone ordering an iMac Pro?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Almost every trashcan Mac Pro I set up for clients has needed a hub because of Apple's decision to give it only four USB ports. I usually get the 10-port from Anker or Vantec as they use non-garbage controllers for the USB bus.

There's a Thunderbolt-to-USB 3.0 adapter from Kanex I sometimes get if they don't want to get a hub that ruins the aesthetic but that's $30 more than a decent hub...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, hopefully the 7 port I have is the same design just shorter. I’ll probably relegate the least used drive to it (or maybe just take it off the system temporarily as it’s “only” 2TB and I’ll be adding another one of those 8TB bestbuy specials).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Called it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/14/imac-pro-ram-upgrade-apple/

"iMac Pro's RAM Can Only Be Upgraded by Apple or Authorized Service Provider"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Waiting for the iFixIt teardown...

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
rip those poor dudes working at apple stores who have to drop everything and upgrade ram for these things for the next 5 years that they will be serviced.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

What's Pro about having four full size ram slots that you may have to de-laminate a screen for, holy moly.
Wish this had been released a month ago, I just sat down to a new fully-specced 2013 Mac Pro for my likely next-few-years job.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol people have bought into the "Apple tax" myth so hard. I mean it's A Thing but people exaggerate the hell out of it. Just saw a guy on Facebook say he could build an equivalent of the fully specced out iMac Pro for $3k. :what:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Noctone posted:

lol people have bought into the "Apple tax" myth so hard. I mean it's A Thing but people exaggerate the hell out of it. Just saw a guy on Facebook say he could build an equivalent of the fully specced out iMac Pro for $3k. :what:

You 'can' if you use an i9, non-ECC RAM, blah blah

HP/Dell workstations have always been expensive so the iPro being slightly cheaper really isn't a big deal

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Noctone posted:

Saw the same in a photography group I’m in, so I’ve asked the spec of this mythical machine that can be built so cheap.

Yeah it’s gonna be a consumer CPU, non-ECC RAM and a Samsung EVO SSD. In a ghastly case.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Bob Morales posted:

You 'can' if you use an i9, non-ECC RAM, blah blah

HP/Dell workstations have always been expensive so the iPro being slightly cheaper really isn't a big deal

I don't see how it could be done even by playing fast and loose with what counts as "equivalent." 18-core i9 is still $2k.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Noctone posted:

I don't see how it could be done even by playing fast and loose with what counts as "equivalent." 18-core i9 is still $2k.

I'm assuming AMD is gonna get involved.

EDIT: 900 for a 16-core Threadripper.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
With the iMac Pro and the old Mac Pro, I think all the posturing about whether the hardware is fairly priced against the equivalent PC or not is kind of irrelevant.
The price may be close or even or the Mac could even be cheaper (when it first comes out), but there's nothing in the Mac world between $cheap and $dear, whereas in the PC world there is.

Back in the day there used to be G4 towers which were pretty cheap. $1699
Then G5s came out which unfortunately bumped up the price but not that bad. $1999
Then the Original Macs Pro came out which, despite the move to Intel, cost more than the G5 towers. $2599
Then the Trashcan which cost even more. $2999

So today we have the truly insane situation of having to pay $4999 for something better than an iMac.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

~Coxy posted:

With the iMac Pro and the old Mac Pro, I think all the posturing about whether the hardware is fairly priced against the equivalent PC or not is kind of irrelevant.
The price may be close or even or the Mac could even be cheaper (when it first comes out), but there's nothing in the Mac world between $cheap and $dear, whereas in the PC world there is.

Back in the day there used to be G4 towers which were pretty cheap. $1699
Then G5s came out which unfortunately bumped up the price but not that bad. $1999
Then the Original Macs Pro came out which, despite the move to Intel, cost more than the G5 towers. $2599
Then the Trashcan which cost even more. $2999

So today we have the truly insane situation of having to pay $4999 for something better than an iMac.

That's fair, but part of the problem is that the iMac Pro has a mandatory Pro graphics card, which is probably at least one and a half ks by itself. If you didn't care about that you could cheap out and buy a regular GPU for the towers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
For sure, I think we're actually agreeing. That is; I don't think the iMac Pro price is unfair.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It's a fair price, but a lovely line-up of options.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone ordering an iMac Pro?

if I grew up on a farm and was retarded, the iMac Pro might impress me. But I didn't, so it doesn't.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
How can the pro possibly cool 16 cores and a vega?

eames
May 9, 2009

Monteunicorn posted:

How can the pro possibly cool 16 cores and a vega?

It can’t, the chips will throttle down as soon as the HSF is heat soaked. The CPU will probably hold nominal clockspeed at full load as long as the GPU is idle.

I'm looking forward to some real reviews, the noise at full CPU/GPU load must be hilarious unless the heatsink is much larger than I think it is. It’s no concidence that the first machines went to softball unboxers like MKBD instead of Ars, Anandtech, Barefeets, etc.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Can't wait for the 'modular' Mac Pro. What a shitshow that's going to be.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Theophany posted:

Can't wait for the 'modular' Mac Pro. What a shitshow that's going to be.

and a starting price of (a pro) $10,000.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
Internals:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think that honor goes to the MacBook Pro

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I think that honor goes to the MacBook Pro

Or the Apple watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DO NOT DO THIS.