Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Someone should make a mod that allows you to use biter parts to make biofuel :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Biterminus coal :haw:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Someone should make a mod that allows you to use biter parts to make biofuel :v:

Up until two or three major versions ago the biter bases dropped purple orbs that were an ingredient in the last science pack in the tech tree.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I'm about 20 hours into a new map, and started right before the introduction of 0.16. I have biters turned off completely, but now I'm thinking I want to play around with artillery trains.

Is there a way to turn biters back on? I really don't want to restart again.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Solumin posted:

If it's a fuel source, then it should be usable in the burners!

Only if putting nuclear fuel in a burner inserter makes it move 240% faster than a fast inserter..

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

Nalesh posted:

Is there a way to filter mods by version at all?

There is great program called modmyfactory, which one can use to create modpacks and thereafter shortcuts that will launch Factorio with said mods. It does filter mods by version. I don't think it is as essential as the xcom2 alternative mod launcher, but it's great for switching between vanilla and AngelsBob.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Oh poo poo that's a thing? I need that.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

metasynthetic posted:

Oh my god tell me the answer is yes :allears:

Ayup.

Doesn't do anything special, though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Dervyn posted:

There is great program called modmyfactory, which one can use to create modpacks and thereafter shortcuts that will launch Factorio with said mods. It does filter mods by version. I don't think it is as essential as the xcom2 alternative mod launcher, but it's great for switching between vanilla and AngelsBob.

Doesn't have filters when downloading so the problem still exists.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nalesh posted:

Check out "Theyre made of MEAT" mod. Just updated for 0.16. Kinda exactly what you are looking for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Cool, that explains that bit. I'll go disable the constant green and watch the depot more closely and see what I can glean from that. Definitely looking forward to getting the full walk through on that router when you get the time to do a write up.

Still haven't looked at it, but I can explain the train depot also:

It uses a daisy-chain relay system. Basically if a green signal is sent by the dispatcher, it starts on the left side (of my particular example). When a slot in the depot recieves a green signal, if there is a train present, it sends the train out. If there is not a train present, it relays the signal on to the next slot. I'm pretty sure half of the combinators there exist to make sure that the green signal is cleared by time the train leaves, otherwise it will leak into the next slot as the train is dispatched.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I can't get TinyStart to work with 0.16, is there another mod that does something similar? And what are you guys thoughts on expensive recipes vs the standard?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Is there a recommended mod that can be used to skip past the burner phase of a map? I made it to bots and fully automated science production, right before 0.16 came out. Unfortunately, I started the map with biters turned completely off. Now I want to play around with artillery and I'm thinking of starting over.

Alternatively, how do I reseed my map with biters?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Snak posted:

Still haven't looked at it, but I can explain the train depot also:

It uses a daisy-chain relay system. Basically if a green signal is sent by the dispatcher, it starts on the left side (of my particular example). When a slot in the depot recieves a green signal, if there is a train present, it sends the train out. If there is not a train present, it relays the signal on to the next slot. I'm pretty sure half of the combinators there exist to make sure that the green signal is cleared by time the train leaves, otherwise it will leak into the next slot as the train is dispatched.

Hmm. I haven't gotten to looking at that bit yet, but that makes sense. I'd really love to see like, a logical flow chart of how it all goes down. I'm currently working on the generic stations and their logical components.

Relatedly, does anyone know if there's any way to read whether a train has empty cargo cars vs. Fluid cars? One thing i want to do is be able to is have fluids moving around on this system without needing a separate network.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Does reading the contents of a train with fluid cars not report the fluid contents? That's pretty lame...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sharkbomb posted:

Is there a recommended mod that can be used to skip past the burner phase of a map? I made it to bots and fully automated science production, right before 0.16 came out. Unfortunately, I started the map with biters turned completely off. Now I want to play around with artillery and I'm thinking of starting over.
I like Quick Start. You can customize exactly what to start with, but I like the small kit. You only need to mine some stone to make boilers and then you can jump straight to electricity.

e: Added images for medium and large kits too. Also each kit starts you with 10 steel axes that I forgot to put in the inventory.

Small:

Medium:

Large:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 16, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

sharkbomb posted:

Quick start, as Collateral Damage mentioned above me, is pretty good. Alternatively, the devs made their own subtle way to jumpstart the player out of said stage. Around the map you'll see "Huge Rocks" that are worth about 35 coal AND stone (exact value is random) when you break them down. Snagging 1-2 of these early on does wonders for getting the player started.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Alternately just console give yourself a power armor mark 2, fusion reactor, and construction bots.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Would anyone be up for a coop base? I feel like I'll learn faster with someone else :v:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Nalesh posted:

Would anyone be up for a coop base? I feel like I'll learn faster with someone else :v:

Europe? Vanilla? I've wanted to play this with someone for ages

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Snak posted:

Does reading the contents of a train with fluid cars not report the fluid contents? That's pretty lame...

Sorry, empty cargo vs. empty fluid. Like, if an oil pump station requests an empty train, i don't want a cargo train showing up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alkydere posted:

Quick start, as Collateral Damage mentioned above me, is pretty good. Alternatively, the devs made their own subtle way to jumpstart the player out of said stage. Around the map you'll see "Huge Rocks" that are worth about 35 coal AND stone (exact value is random) when you break them down. Snagging 1-2 of these early on does wonders for getting the player started.
Burning coal in the burner phase is only really needed if you start in the middle of a desert.

You can usually bootstrap to electricity by burning wood that would be in the way of mining or factory expansion. Doesn't really address if you find that phase to be tedious beside giving you more options of maps besides 'coal plumb in the middle of the iron and copper'

neogeo0823 posted:

Sorry, empty cargo vs. empty fluid. Like, if an oil pump station requests an empty train, i don't want a cargo train showing up.
If you can live without a slot and it doesn't throw chaos into your empty or not signalling you could salt cargo trains with something useless and base your logic on "holds this useless item or not"

Alternatively embrace barrelling to make your rail system agnostic enough to use simpler logic.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 16, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

That's a good question.

I was going to set my network up to just have all trains be like 3 cargo cars and a fluid car. That way it'd be totally universal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

what's the benefit of using one train for everything over just having one train per thing

i end up with dozens of drat trains running over common tracks and do just fine

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They type of system that we're talking about uses a universal pool of trains that are dispatched and routed as needed.

Because it's fun to build.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

what's the benefit of using one train for everything over just having one train per thing

i end up with dozens of drat trains running over common tracks and do just fine

In factorio the best and most efficient method is often brute force. Having a 2x4 sitting at every mine forever filling up is the simplest solution and results in fastest production, since train cars are cheep.

But it is not an elegant solution. A circuit dispatch system is elegant.

And one day I'll come back to my dream, somehow getting a derivitve of my production numbers to trigger dispatching trains at a rate to perfectly keep up with factory needs.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Did 0.16 make rail layouts with loops not suck performance-wise? I dislike double-headed trains but like efficiency more.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tesla was right posted:

Did 0.16 make rail layouts with loops not suck performance-wise? I dislike double-headed trains but like efficiency more.

What crazy contraption were you running that would cause a performance hit? My last game was up to like 300 trains without a noticeable slowdown.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

M_Gargantua posted:

What crazy contraption were you running that would cause a performance hit? My last game was up to like 300 trains without a noticeable slowdown.

I haven't actually managed to get a factory big enough :shobon: I'm mostly going by what was said in this thread.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zedprime posted:

Burning coal in the burner phase is only really needed if you start in the middle of a desert.

You can usually bootstrap to electricity by burning wood that would be in the way of mining or factory expansion. Doesn't really address if you find that phase to be tedious beside giving you more options of maps besides 'coal plumb in the middle of the iron and copper'

Well it's more that you have about 70 combined coal/stone in your inventory after mining one thing for 2 seconds...instead of spending 10 minutes cutting down trees for fuel. It's a small thing but it does make the burner stage a lot shorter. Obviously if you gotta clear trees off a deposit anyways you might as well though, but you can make that less of a thing since you can now control tree density.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tesla was right posted:

I haven't actually managed to get a factory big enough :shobon: I'm mostly going by what was said in this thread.

Well rail roundabouts suck when you have more than a few trains on a line, and people over using thrm causes slowdowns in the rail network. (As in trains backing up, not processing lag). But I haven't been aware of anyone complaining about a difference between single ended and double ended train performance?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Well technically a single-locomotive train will weigh less, meaning it can travel slightly faster. I don't think that's really a huge concern though.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I ended up just using the console to give my map a quick start. On my old map, I was in the process of transitioning from a main bus to all bots, and I really didn't feel like doing that... again.

Using the console for 1000 logistics bots and chests is a pretty quick start.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Is 0.16 worth jumping to?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

In factorio the best and most efficient method is often brute force. Having a 2x4 sitting at every mine forever filling up is the simplest solution and results in fastest production, since train cars are cheep.

But it is not an elegant solution. A circuit dispatch system is elegant.

And one day I'll come back to my dream, somehow getting a derivitve of my production numbers to trigger dispatching trains at a rate to perfectly keep up with factory needs.

Well, part of the reason I wanted to build my system is that it scales and expands very well. When a mining outpost runs dry, I don't have to do anything. With a dedicated train for each outpost, you have to manually re-program trains. With my system, trains are automatically allocated and you can add more trains at any time without having to pay attention to what train is going where, since trains are dispatched where they are needed. If an outpost runs dry, trains are no longer dispatched to it, and if a new outpost is added, trains automatically start going there.

Yes it's actually more work, but it's conceptually elegant. Which is all I care about.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

personally I just name all my iron outposts "iron load" and use circuits to turn the stop itself off if there's less than a trainload to pick up

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Is 0.16 worth jumping to?

-Artillery
-improvements to the engine
-Vast improvements to how good the world looks
-Cliffs which break up your base and make you think a bit instead of building the same layout again and again.

Still has a few bugs but I haven't run into anything I don't like.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

sharkbomb posted:

As long as you didn't disable biter expansion (which would be redundant) and only set bases to "none," simply creating a few bases should get the ball rolling, as they'll [re]populate on their own. It'd be a slow process and it won't result in bases as dense as initial mapgen, but if you really want to keep your map it's an option.

code:
/c
local r,s,l,t,p=0,game.player.surface,{"biter-spawner","spitter-spawner"}

for _,e in pairs(s.find_entities_filtered{force="player"}) do
	r=math.max(r,e.position.x*e.position.x,e.position.y*e.position.y)
end
r=math.sqrt(r)+360
for i=0,6.3,99/r do
	t=l[math.random(2)]
	p=s.find_non_colliding_position(t,{r*math.cos(i),r*math.sin(i)},99,1)
	if p then s.create_entity{name=t,position=p} end
end
This basically generates spawners in a ring just a bit outside your base and many will almost certainly be in your pollution cloud, so be prepared.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have a good example of the following? Let's say I've got a train with some random stuff on it. I want to compare the contents to a signal from a constant combinator. If anything on the train matches the signal(not the number of the signal, just the item type), then output something. Google's being surprisingly unhelpful right now.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured out a way. Hook both inputs(train and combinator) into their own decider combinators, both set to <anything> > 0, output <everything> 1. Then wire each output via separate wires to another decider combinator, and set that to <anything> > 1, output green signal 1. Works for this application.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
^^^ basically what you said

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone have a good example of the following? Let's say I've got a train with some random stuff on it. I want to compare the contents to a signal from a constant combinator. If anything on the train matches the signal(not the number of the signal, just the item type), then output something. Google's being surprisingly unhelpful right now.

Use decider combinators to "normalize" any input: "Each > 0" output "Each (1)". You'll get a 1 count of every item sent to the input.

Hook up one of these to the train stop reading contents and another to your constant combinators. Combine their outputs together into another decider combinator: "Each >= 2" output "Each (1)". Any item output from that combinator means it's on the train and also has a positive value set on the constant combinators.

I use a setup like this to read trains and release them from a holding platform if they hold anything that is running low (with min quantities set by constant combinators).