Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Have the Indians done anything yet? Feels like they're letting the AL field lap them right now.

Clearly they need to trade Salazar to the Cubs to get the ball rolling, imo.

Vernacular posted:

3yr/$38 million

That seems.....like a really cheap deal for Cozart?

Eh, I don't know. Cozart had a career year but otherwise is old, oft injured, and good SS's are a dime a dozen these days with almost all the big contenders already having studs at the position.

e. Full Rondon deal is out, Astros got him for peanuts:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/941761677317623808

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Poque posted:

Have the Indians done anything yet? Feels like they're letting the AL field lap them right now.
Any big move they were going to make was contingent on Santana’s decision. They’re probably going to sign a first baseman soon, and probably have people inquiring about their pitching all winter long.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Indians are a mess. Chicago needs to clean out their entire farm system for a one year rental of Machado and win that division. :thumbsup:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.nikkansports.com/m/baseball/mlb/news/201712150000763_m.html?mode=all

My Japanese is rusty as gently caress but Google translate says the Cubs have emerged as the favorite for Darvish.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
If the Phils end up trading Nick Williams (who I think is most likely to go, he's got the best pedigree of the Phils outfielders and I personally am higher on Herrera, Hoskins, and Altherr) for a pitcher I could like the Santana deal.

Assuming Williams goes for a starter the Phils could go with this lineup maybe?

2B - Hernandez
CF - Herrera
LF - Hoskins
1B - Santana
RF - Altherr
3B - Franco
SS - Crawford
C - Alfaro
P

Which isn't bad at all. I'm almost optimistic the Phils could get to .500 this year maybe?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mentholmoose posted:

If the Phils end up trading Nick Williams (who I think is most likely to go, he's got the best pedigree of the Phils outfielders and I personally am higher on Herrera, Hoskins, and Altherr) for a pitcher I could like the Santana deal.

Assuming Williams goes for a starter the Phils could go with this lineup maybe?

2B - Hernandez
CF - Herrera
LF - Hoskins
1B - Santana
RF - Altherr
3B - Franco
SS - Crawford
C - Alfaro
P

Which isn't bad at all. I'm almost optimistic the Phils could get to .500 this year maybe?

Need an upgrade at 3rd and 2nd imho

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mentholmoose posted:

It will certainly help playing 19 games against the 2018 Marlins.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

euphronius posted:

Need an upgrade at 3rd and 2nd imho

3B should be Machado after next year (in my dreams I think).

Also I seem to be higher on Cesar Hernandez than a lot of people it seems; everyone's clamoring for Kingery to take over but I don't see much to indicate that Kingery's definitively better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok improve 3b or 2b

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Astros have DFA’d Preston Tucker

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i just now realized that carlos santana shares a name with that 70s rock guy

i'll see myself out

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Goodpancakes posted:

If your name is Carlos Santana your walkup music better be Carlos Santana

It will be when they come to play Atlanta.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Not only to the Phillies have Carlos Santana, their bench coach is Rob Thompson.

Pretty smooth pickups.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Astros have DFA’d Preston Tucker

I hope he clears because I want the brothers to get to play together :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

I hope he clears because I want the brothers to get to play together :smith:

Was Kyle or Preston the supposed “Outfielder of the Future”? I always confuse them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bewbies posted:

i just now realized that carlos santana shares a name with that 70s rock guy

i'll see myself out

im going to turn you into a smoking crater

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Was Kyle or Preston the supposed “Outfielder of the Future”? I always confuse them.
Kyle

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Well that was a fun experiment

https://twitter.com/NBCSGiants/status/941832270054285312

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sure. Why not. I hope we didn't give up too much.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

They haven't really done anything but tbh the Red Sox have not done a ton yet either.

I wish the Blue Jays would poo poo or get off the pot. It seems like they are unwilling to spend the money (or are just too tied up with lovely contracts for guys not performing like Tulo, Morales) to get a good team together, but they also don't seem willing to get rid of some rentals like Donaldson to build up the prospects for 2-3 years from now. Unless they really do plan on convincing him to sign an extension, but if so, it's still another few years before we can flush our very old slow broken players, so IDK.

With 30 million bucks to spend, they better loving not trade Donaldson. If the pitching is healthy they are good enough to contend for the wildcard and already have a good prospect base. If things go sideways you can trade him in July, and the return won't be much different.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You heard it here, folks. The Rangers are all in to win next year. I mean come on who could turn down these elite numbers:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

If he keeps switching leagues and divisions every year, he might trick someone into thinking he's good enough to sign

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Pussy Boss posted:

So Disney bought Fox, including all its regional sports networks.

No. TV channels are expensive (look at how much Disney paid for Fox Family, it's not that high anymore but like owning a sports team it's an established guaranteed revenue stream that's limited only to the fact that systems can only take on so many). They bought the studios that produce the content, not the channels themselves.

Spoeank posted:

Well that was a fun experiment

Sell low!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MibeltRodriguez/status/941827608005591040

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Sure. Why not. I hope we didn't give up too much.

I remember Moore scaring the poo poo out of me in the '11 ALDS and thinking the Ray's had an ace for years to come. At least he couldn't possibly be any worse than Nick Martinez, and maybe he'll surprise us like Cashner.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

3 - Minor 4 - Fister 5- Moore

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is the quietest stove ever

the luxury tax soft cap is making it hard for teams to make stupid decisions and it's not fun at all

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Don't worry, the red sox are about to do something hilariously dumb like sign Hosmer, Martinez and Moustakas.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Carlosologist posted:

the luxury tax soft cap is making it hard for teams to make stupid decisions and it's not fun at all

The Giants traded Moore to clear payroll so don't worry a dumb trade is coming.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 16, 2017

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Craptacular! posted:

No. TV channels are expensive (look at how much Disney paid for Fox Family, it's not that high anymore but like owning a sports team it's an established guaranteed revenue stream that's limited only to the fact that systems can only take on so many). They bought the studios that produce the content, not the channels themselves.

What? All 22 regional sports networks Fox owned (or had a share in) were part of the deal. Some Yankees fans were even joking that they are gonna rename YES Network to YESPN. FX and the National Geographic channels were also part of the deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

Turns out having a defacto salary cap depresses contract value!

The stove will presumably get hot again once FA's start lowering their prices from pre-CBA levels to what teams are actually willing to pay.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

The Giants traded Moore to clear payroll so don't worry a dumb trade is coming.
If they trade Pence too, will we finally be freed from your avatar?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ihatepants posted:

What? All 22 regional sports networks Fox owned (or had a share in) were part of the deal. Some Yankees fans were even joking that they are gonna rename YES Network to YESPN. FX and the National Geographic channels were also part of the deal.

I remember reading that Fox News, Fox Sports, and Fox Television Studios (which controls the network and owns affiliates in many markets) were not part of the deal. As Disney owns ABC owned and operated affiliates in many major cities, owning the FOX ones too might not work in a few markets. I guess they can trade channels like ABC San Francisco for channels in other markets and reap the NFL related profits of the Fox station in an NFC market.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Turns out having a defacto salary cap depresses contract value!

The MLBPA is worthless and Marvin Miller is spinning in his grave.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
How sad is it that the Marlins burn up half their talent and we're like, "but what about something that doesn't happen all the time? I'm boooooooored"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how is this considered a boring stove when

-the most intriguing foreign player of all time agrees to come over (to the loving Angels of all teams!)
-the marlins trade the MVP to the loving yankees
-also the marlins have a dumb fire sale
-manny machado is probably going to be moved?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Craptacular! posted:

I remember reading that Fox News, Fox Sports, and Fox Television Studios (which controls the network and owns affiliates in many markets) were not part of the deal. As Disney owns ABC owned and operated affiliates in many major cities, owning the FOX ones too might not work in a few markets. I guess they can trade channels like ABC San Francisco for channels in other markets and reap the NFL related profits of the Fox station in an NFC market.

You’re right that those are staying with Fox, but the 22 Regional Sports Networks and FX Networks and Nat Geo were specifically mentioned as going to Disney in the deal. The local Fox television affiliates are staying with Fox.

Edit: I just read your post again. The Fox channel and its affiliates are different from the Fox Sports regional channels. Disney is only getting Fox Sports, so I guess Fox is still going to be doing their NFL brodcasts. Fox Sports mainly covers NBA, NHL, MLB and college sports for some local markets.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 16, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kyle is the younger brother, he's the Astros 2nd best prospect (Whitley apparently jumped him according to BP) and is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ihatepants posted:

You’re right that those are staying with Fox, but the 22 Regional Sports Networks and FX Networks and Nat Geo were specifically mentioned as going to Disney in the deal. The local Fox television affiliates are staying with Fox.

Edit: I just read your post again. The Fox channel and its affiliates are different from the Fox Sports regional channels. Disney is only getting Fox Sports, so I guess Fox is still going to be doing their NFL brodcasts. Fox Sports mainly covers NBA, NHL, MLB and college sports for some local markets.

The reason for this by the way is because it's incredibly illegal for Disney to own both ABC and FOX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I call this stove boring because only one of the top 20 free agents has signed yet, and when they do it’ll be way below what they’re expected to sign for because teams are cheaping out and trying to stay under the luxury cap

we knew Ohtani was coming and Stanton was inevitably on the move when the stuff about Miami’s new ownership started to come out in like late October

Free agency is the lifeblood of the hot stove and it’s being stifled!!

• Locked thread