Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
john goodman is good, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

john goodman is good, man

John.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Krispy Wafer posted:

There was a stretch where I watched Raising Arizona every day for at least 18 days straight.

Who hurt you?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiCzTGRqCQ4

:colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had no idea that John Goodman played Dan Severn

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite John Goodman film is True Stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODLjjHkUUQ

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He was also good in 10 Cloverfield Lane but he was so fat at that point it looked like he was ready to have 3 heart attacks at once.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well now that 2017's almost over it looks like he's back to the attractive John Goodman we all knew from Tiger beat magazine

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Dec 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Back on Itchy and Scratchy, some useless trivia; apparently, they're actually inspired more closely by Herman and Katnip; a Tom and Jerry imitator whose claim to fame was being significantly more violent and action-packed, most of it directed towards the cat.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a reboot/significant retool of The Simpsons. Probably starting with replacing as many voice actors as they can; at this point they're ageing, demanding massive salaries to keep performing, or both. That and they might merge Fox's animation department with Disney's 2D animation division, which has been getting more of a workout lately. (I have noted that since the end of the 90s golden age, Disney's had at least one action-oriented 2D cartoon ongoing, probably as much to keep the studio working so they don't lose the talent even when it's gone out of fashion for theatrical features) And at this point, it's not like the fans can get any more pissed off.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I feel like The Simpsons should have moved to the two stories per episode, like lots of cartoons these days do.

If they can’t get the plots to converge in the end (and can’t give enough time to wrap up the B plot) they might as well completely seperate them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

He was also good in 10 Cloverfield Lane but he was so fat at that point it looked like he was ready to have 3 heart attacks at once.

I was worried how labored his breathing was. I don’t think that was just part of his character, like all the paranoia and murder.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODLjjHkUUQ

This. He’s also a decent singer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Sexual Shiite posted:

This. He’s also a decent singer.

Shame about Blues Brothers 2000 though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
John Goodman fulfilled his destiny of playing Fred Flintstone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oldpainless posted:

Good is an understatement.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Shame about Blues Brothers 2000 though.

I loved the blues brothers movie as a kid and was really pumped when i heard a new one was coming. Blues brothers 2000 was one of the first movies that made me realize a movie can be really poo poo.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a reboot/significant retool of The Simpsons. Probably starting with replacing as many voice actors as they can; at this point they're ageing, demanding massive salaries to keep performing, or both. That and they might merge Fox's animation department with Disney's 2D animation division, which has been getting more of a workout lately. (I have noted that since the end of the 90s golden age, Disney's had at least one action-oriented 2D cartoon ongoing, probably as much to keep the studio working so they don't lose the talent even when it's gone out of fashion for theatrical features) And at this point, it's not like the fans can get any more pissed off.

From what I know about the Simpsons, the writers and voice actors have really strong contracts that gives an enormous amount of power to the showrunner instead of the network. I'm not sure how the rights are handled exactly, but I have to assume Disney execs trying to assert their authority (likely through firings/replacements) on a writers room that's used to not having to deal with execs will end really ugly. Groening expected a similar deal for Futurama, and the writing team really chafed under executive notes.

The protectionism probably played a role in the Simpsons' decline, since it's such a plum position, writers just stick around forever, and everything becomes calcified and by the motions. At the same time, I'm not going to celebrate a megacorp busting up a creative-favoring contract just because it means rebooting a 30 year old show from my childhood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

datajugend posted:

I loved the blues brothers movie as a kid and was really pumped when i heard a new one was coming. Blues brothers 2000 was one of the first movies that made me realize a movie can be really poo poo.

The song choices are generally pretty good and for the most part they're well-performed, but they all look like loving music videos. The original one was more like an older musical where the music is mostly justified by the story. In BB2000 they just stop the plot for a music video then get back to the movie (e.g. Wilson Pickett and Eddie Floyd doing "634-5789").

The two big ones are Blues Traveler and then the jam on "New Orleans" at the end. The former has John Popper going up to Dan Aykroyd and gushing about what a big fan he is and how he's keen for Elwood to hear his band, he says, "Great! I'll go get 'em, Mr Blues!" then it cuts to a Blues Traveler music video, and when they stop playing, Popper goes back to where he saw Elwood (who's split) and goes, "Mr Blues? Where did you go?"

"New Orleans" at the end is like one of those all-star jams they do at awards shows where everybody pops in, sings their allotted two lines or plays their guitar solo, then peaces out. In the first Blues Brothers, the musical guests (Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, the Blues Brothers band etc.) are also all playing characters, but in BB2000 they're just playing themselves.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The song choices are generally pretty good and for the most part they're well-performed, but they all look like loving music videos. The original one was more like an older musical where the music is mostly justified by the story. In BB2000 they just stop the plot for a music video then get back to the movie (e.g. Wilson Pickett and Eddie Floyd doing "634-5789").

The two big ones are Blues Traveler and then the jam on "New Orleans" at the end. The former has John Popper going up to Dan Aykroyd and gushing about what a big fan he is and how he's keen for Elwood to hear his band, he says, "Great! I'll go get 'em, Mr Blues!" then it cuts to a Blues Traveler music video, and when they stop playing, Popper goes back to where he saw Elwood (who's split) and goes, "Mr Blues? Where did you go?"

"New Orleans" at the end is like one of those all-star jams they do at awards shows where everybody pops in, sings their allotted two lines or plays their guitar solo, then peaces out. In the first Blues Brothers, the musical guests (Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, the Blues Brothers band etc.) are also all playing characters, but in BB2000 they're just playing themselves.

this just makes me think of how Digital Underground just shows up and performs for no real reason in Nothing But Trouble

maybe it's a Dan Akroyd thing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well now that 2017's almost over it looks like he's back to the attractive John Goodman we all knew from Tiger beat magazine

10 cloverfield was filmed before he lost all that weight, and then the studio sat on it for ages. By the time it came out John Goodman was half the man he used to be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I appreciate in Demolition Man after all the other 90s movies/tv shows/games terrible assumptions of "manhood", is that Stallone is never feminized just because he's a competent seamstress now. He never alters his behaviour and no one assumes that he's more femme than he is because he can knit - it's just a thing that he can do, while doing all the other stereotypically macho things he does like hunting Phoenix he also finds time to knit. Most other things then and even now use those behaviours as something to mock in a man, like Rajj in Big Bang Theory was often considered effeminate just because of his hobbies. Demolition Man was ahead of it's time.

The closest thing is when Stallone first finds out about it (and to be fair his "I'M A SEAMSTRESS?!" is a hilarious line read :3:), but the connotation of his reaction is less "Eww gay" and more "Simon Phoenix is a supersoldier and they made me a seamstress? Seriously..." It's just another thing weighting the odds against him.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Yeah but Stallone also cuts pizza with scissors.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I appreciate in Demolition Man after all the other 90s movies/tv shows/games terrible assumptions of "manhood", is that Stallone is never feminized just because he's a competent seamstress now. He never alters his behaviour and no one assumes that he's more femme than he is because he can knit - it's just a thing that he can do, while doing all the other stereotypically macho things he does like hunting Phoenix he also finds time to knit. Most other things then and even now use those behaviours as something to mock in a man, like Rajj in Big Bang Theory was often considered effeminate just because of his hobbies. Demolition Man was ahead of it's time.

The closest thing is when Stallone first finds out about it (and to be fair his "I'M A SEAMSTRESS?!" is a hilarious line read :3:), but the connotation of his reaction is less "Eww gay" and more "Simon Phoenix is a supersoldier and they made me a seamstress? Seriously..." It's just another thing weighting the odds against him.

this is a cool take and made me think a little bit and adds evidence to the pile that Demolition Man's a drat good movie.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

I've done this before with kitchen shears when I realized I never got around to washing my pizza cutter. Really makes you appreciate how paper doesn't tend to scald your hands with molten sauce

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

10 cloverfield was filmed before he lost all that weight, and then the studio sat on it for ages. By the time it came out John Goodman was half the man he used to be.

Goodman's lost a poo poo-ton of weigh at least once before and he gained it all back plus some.

His natural state is bigly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've done this before with kitchen shears when I realized I never got around to washing my pizza cutter. Really makes you appreciate how paper doesn't tend to scald your hands with molten sauce

As opposed to just taking, say, 20 or 30 seconds to wash the pizza cutter?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Atmus posted:

Scissors for cutting pizzas is a thing that exists. I own one.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Precambrian posted:

From what I know about the Simpsons, the writers and voice actors have really strong contracts that gives an enormous amount of power to the showrunner instead of the network. I'm not sure how the rights are handled exactly, but I have to assume Disney execs trying to assert their authority (likely through firings/replacements) on a writers room that's used to not having to deal with execs will end really ugly. Groening expected a similar deal for Futurama, and the writing team really chafed under executive notes.

The protectionism probably played a role in the Simpsons' decline, since it's such a plum position, writers just stick around forever, and everything becomes calcified and by the motions. At the same time, I'm not going to celebrate a megacorp busting up a creative-favoring contract just because it means rebooting a 30 year old show from my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ffaTv4ajg

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

As opposed to just taking, say, 20 or 30 seconds to wash the pizza cutter?

I have one of those brains where when you find the first solution to a problem you immediately do it without thinking about it

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Alhazred posted:

Scissors for cutting pizzas is a thing that exists. I own one.

So you're the reason late night infomercials exist? Huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxN_U2H0Xc

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you didn't seesaw back and forth between which Becky you loved most then I don't know what to say.

I really liked original Becky's monologue to Darlene about how she doesn't have the luxury to mope and feel sorry for herself and have everybody tip-toe around her like Darlene does because there are things to be done around the house that mom and dad just pile onto Becky because they wanted to coddle Darlene during her phase.

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my personal favourite moment was Dan confronting Leon after finding out that he really was planning on ousting Roseanne from her own restaurant.

"From now on, you fight your own battles! Against Roseanne... may God have mercy on your soul..."

I like when Dan beat the poo poo out of Jackie's abusive boyfriend after Darlene accidentally walks in on Jackie in the bathroom and sees all of her bruises. Plus the episode ended with John Goodman singing Jail House Rock.

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't even know that show was supposed to be about those lions. It was just a dull sitcom about lions living in a standard house from what I recall. Bolt did similar subject matter in a more interesting way. (Clarification: Not making GBS threads on Bolt, I love that movie.)

From the time I was born up until age four or five we lived about two or three blocks from Siegfried and Roy's house in Las Vegas (this white mansion with white walls / gates and two blocks away are small duplexes). My dad could hear the cats roaring when he came home from work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have one of those brains where when you find the first solution to a problem you immediately do it without thinking about it

I can be that way too and no worries, but the scissors are probably dirtier than the unwashed pizza cutter.

Edit:

Not a TV show and I may have mentioned it before but loving Animal House has aged very terribly. Maybe it does count because I think there was a TV show based on it and there is some funny poo poo in it, but...

Holy poo poo is that movie overall problematic and just plain creepy. That passed out underage girl with the devil and angel and the dude deciding whether to rape her not. Yikes. Faking the relationship of the girl who died at the sorority house. Lotta hosed up poo poo in that film.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Dec 16, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FactsAreUseless posted:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Been watching some Star Trek TOS, and just watched The Omega Glory, and wow that one... well, first it doesn't make much sense, they never really explain why these humans are here and all that, but also shows some... interesting '60's ideas on race. I assume it was, at the time, notably more progressive than it seems now? But still, oof.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I watched some episodes of Static Shock because nostalgia and it's hilarious how "one of the good ones" Virgil is. He's constantly saying stuff like "rap music, more like noise!" and making fun of mutated urban youths for wearing their pants too low.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Alaois posted:

this just makes me think of how Digital Underground just shows up and performs for no real reason in Nothing But Trouble

maybe it's a Dan Akroyd thing

Dan Ackroyd has DEFINITELY always tried to ingratiate himself into the music industry and has always been embarrassing at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

BiggerBoat posted:

I can be that way too and no worries, but the scissors are probably dirtier than the unwashed pizza cutter.

Edit:

Not a TV show and I may have mentioned it before but loving Animal House has aged very terribly. Maybe it does count because I think there was a TV show based on it and there is some funny poo poo in it, but...

Holy poo poo is that movie overall problematic and just plain creepy. That passed out underage girl with the devil and angel and the dude deciding whether to rape her not. Yikes. Faking the relationship of the girl who died at the sorority house. Lotta hosed up poo poo in that film.

There's also the bar scenes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

catlord posted:

Been watching some Star Trek TOS, and just watched The Omega Glory, and wow that one... well, first it doesn't make much sense, they never really explain why these humans are here and all that, but also shows some... interesting '60's ideas on race. I assume it was, at the time, notably more progressive than it seems now? But still, oof.

it's a very bad episode, yeah. honestly can't have been much better then than now; totally nonsensical.

it was a story that roddenberry wrote personally and which he was apparently very attached to despite the network, producer, and probably everyone else telling him it sucked

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

Dan Ackroyd has DEFINITELY always been embarrassing.

Fixed this. Though I'll give him passes on Ghostbusters and Grosse Point Blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Not his best work, but I'll always remember he was in this: