Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
That was out so no problem, but...

That was far more inline than Bancrofts lbw, yet it was umpire's call here and totally inline on Bancrofts. Visually it looks totally opposite to that.

The ball tracking is hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
england into the tail now

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Scylo posted:

Unless he finds another career soon KP's got a good solid 30 years of commentary ahead of him. KP's on about Khawaja's energy now and how Marsh is just so much better with his energy

Someone take away KP's passport and leave him in Australia

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
According to KP England should think about taking a wicket here.

To show some of those beautiful magnificent youngsters how it's done.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
we’ll be looking for 3 or 4 quick wickets here

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
7 quick wickets and they're done

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
everyone always talks about how shaun marsh is such a graceful strokemaker like hes gower or mark waugh but he always looks scratchy as gently caress to me

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Nice diving fistbump lads

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Seams posted:

everyone always talks about how shaun marsh is such a graceful strokemaker like hes gower or mark waugh but he always looks scratchy as gently caress to me

There aren't many graceful strokemakers on either side. Cook, Smith, and Warner certainly aren't. Bairstow and Root are pragmatic.

Moeen Ali and Smarsh are the only two who are vaguely stylish (and James Vince I guess).

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Imagine if Mark Waugh was in this Australian team. They would be saying he was the best player ever.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Airstream Driver posted:

Imagine if Mark Waugh was in this Australian team. They would be saying he was the best player ever.

but who would be in commentary to say it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

runoverbobby posted:

There aren't many graceful strokemakers on either side. Cook, Smith, and Warner certainly aren't. Bairstow and Root are pragmatic.

Moeen Ali and Smarsh are the only two who are vaguely stylish (and James Vince I guess).

khawaja can play some nice shots but only against pace

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Would have wanted one less wicket there to end the day. I'd have liked for Usman to hang around till Smith got 100 at least. Going to need the Marshes to hang around until at least 300 to stay in this game.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you guys get the "Why is 100 better than 99? I have NO IDEA" Pietersen clips over there

I've been looking for it online so the absolute cringe bellendery of it can be shared with the world but it doesn't seem to be anywhere

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Lionel Richie posted:

I've been looking for it online so the absolute cringe bellendery of it can be shared with the world but it doesn't seem to be anywhere

some things are meant to stay buried

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Sometimes I wonder if KP studied Richie Benaud's commentary tapes, just by the way he uses words like "magnificent" all the drat time. But unlike Richie, comes across as a pretentious knob.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

They won't get it, for some reason Burger King is called Hungry Jack's over there. Is the Whopper still a Whopper? Maybe it is a Royale.

When Burger King expanded into Australia at the start of the 70s, they found that a takeaway shop in Adelaide already had trademarked the name, so they got the guy who franchised the chain to come up with an alternative name - guy was called Jack Cowin, hence Hungry Jack's. When the preexisting Adelaide trademark lapsed in the late 90s, Burger King actually opened a few stores and tried to limit the number of HJ franchises and their operations. Hungry Jack's sued and won in 2001. After a couple of years, Burger King, under new management, reached an agreement with Hungry Jack's, leading to all existing BK franchises to be rebranded as HJs, in addition to the already existing HJ stores.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

runoverbobby posted:

vaguely stylish (and James Vince I guess).

I guess bad is a style...

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Apparently Johnson at this point in the 2013 series had 19 wickets and right now Starc has 18

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Scylo posted:

Apparently Johnson at this point in the 2013 series had 19 wickets and right now Starc has 18

Stats after five completed innings:

code:
Starc

O    M R  W
28   4 77 3
16   1 51 3
20   4 49 3
19.2 3 88 5
25.1 5 91 4

108.3 17 356 18
(654 balls, including extras)

18 @19.77, economy rate 3.28, strike rate 36.33
code:
Johnson

O    M R  W
17   2 61 4
21.1 7 42 5
17.2 8 40 7
24   8 73 1
22   7 62 2

101.3 32 278 19
(616 balls, including extras)

19 @14.63, economy rate 2.74, strike rate 32.42
Notable is Starc's amazing average vs. Johnson's absolutely insane average. Johnson's economy rate is also much better, and actually basically matches his economy rate for the series. Both strike rates are also stupid low.

Also, looking at scorecards, Starc has 11 wickets of positions 1-7, and 7 wickets of positions 8-11. So he's not just blowing away the tail (his average against them is probably in the single figures), but is actually better at getting key wickets in the top and middle order. Johnson at this point had 10 and 9, so he was doing the same.

And, in my opinion, Cummins has looked the better bowler for most of the series so far.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 16, 2017

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Proof that sometimes stats and averages can lead you astray

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I think it was pretty clear that Johnson was upsetting the top order a lot more than Starc is. I think Starc is benefiting from a bowling attack that is mostly quite tight (although they do have spells where they lose the plot)

Still the English tail look like they have no idea against him.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Smith got there easily.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
No one cares Smith scores yet another 100 or we just presume that every time he bats?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Smith brings up his 7th ashes century. The most out of any active players by a fair margin. Cook has the second most with 4.

He goes equal with Maurice Layland, Michael Slater, Bill Lawry, John Edrich, Michael Clarke and Alan Border for ashes centuries. Only 9 batsmen have scored more ashes centuries.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Michael Clarke is getting pretty grey, he should probably stop bleaching his hair

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No one cares Smith scores yet another 100 or we just presume that every time he bats?

Well every time he passes 50 he's guaranteed to get a century at this point in his career.

Isn't it also like once he passes 20 there's an 80% chance he will get a century or some other stat they were rattling off in Adelaide?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well it is only against England after all.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

What about Healy doing the lightsabre noise. That was weird

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Literally the first ball I sit down to watch.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Some dumbarse on Cricinfo just compared MMarsh to Smith in that Smith took 24 matches to get his first hundred and was also initially in teh team as an allrounder, and that Marsh has only played 22 tests, so all we have to do is wait two tests and he will come good.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
KP: If England can strike with this new ball Australia could be down by as much as 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, or none at all if they can get a lead.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

runoverbobby posted:

KP: If England can strike with this new ball Australia could be down by as much as 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, or none at all if they can get a lead.

ive crunched the numbers and this checks out

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Slats: If England don't get Smith out he might get 215.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
KPs voice really irks me, dunno why I'm so annoyed by it.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I still don't think Mitch Marsh looks like a good batsman. He's no Watto that's for sure.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Some dumbarse on Cricinfo just compared MMarsh to Smith in that Smith took 24 matches to get his first hundred and was also initially in teh team as an allrounder, and that Marsh has only played 22 tests, so all we have to do is wait two tests and he will come good.

Yeah that is silly.

People have bought into this weird narrative with Smith. Smith had been averaging ~50 for NSW when he first got selected to Australia. He was forced into playing as an allrounder because Cricket Australia went crazy after Warne retired.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Halo14 posted:

No it's a beautiful, beautiful, magnificent voice. Listen to it now. Magnificent, magnificent, absolutely magnificent.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Halo14 posted:

its because he’s got the worlds most annoying and irking voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Classic rooted Anderson review combo