Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I put two special art recharge items in Rex's pouch and now Nim's level 1 special (which is aoe and heals based on damage done) is ready to be used again right after the animation finishes. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Post-game fight so :siren:spoilers:siren: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/7k4eob/heres_some_next_level_damage_optimize_from/
They somehow hit the damage cap on chain attacks with only one orb

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So, to upgrade Dagas do I have to fill out his affinity chart, or is the quest unlocked after I do his heart to heart? I haven't gotten to enough affinity to hit his fifth tier yet, and I think a few of his nodes are ??? to me still.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IcePhoenix posted:

So, to upgrade Dagas do I have to fill out his affinity chart, or is the quest unlocked after I do his heart to heart? I haven't gotten to enough affinity to hit his fifth tier yet, and I think a few of his nodes are ??? to me still.
I managed to start his quest at affinity 4, the quest itself didn't have any skill checks for his unique skill beyond level 2, I actually have no idea. But I didn't have his fifth tier for sure.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I managed to start his quest at affinity 4, the quest itself didn't have any skill checks for his unique skill beyond level 2, I actually have no idea. But I didn't have his fifth tier for sure.

How did you start it? I did the heart to heart in Leftheria and went to the bridge in Mor Ardain but that didn't actually give a me quest.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 16, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Andrast posted:

Where did you start it? I did the heart to heart in Leftheria and went to the bridge in Mor Ardain but that didn't actually give a me quest.
Inn in Argentum > Heart-to-Heart in Leftheria > Upper Level bridge exit from Mor Ardain (there's a telepoint for it) in the afternoon and I mean literally afternoon gamefaqs said it was like 16:00-19:00 or something

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Poppi QTπ was a pain to get but uh I think she is simultaneously ice AND wind!? And she has both break and launch moves. Worth it, tbh.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Inn in Argentum > Heart-to-Heart in Leftheria > Upper Level bridge exit from Mor Ardain (there's a telepoint for it) in the afternoon and I mean literally afternoon gamefaqs said it was like 16:00-19:00 or something

That is literally what I'm doing but I'm not getting the quest

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Andrast posted:

No idea, then. Maybe it's tied to progress? Are you in chapter 8/9ish? It made me fight a level 55 boss for the last bit of it and I had to have access to most of the areas.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No idea, then. Maybe it's tied to progress? Are you in chapter 8/9ish? It made me fight a level 55 boss for the last bit of it and I had to have access to most of the areas.

Chapter 6.

I thought I would be able to do it since the Dagas affinity chart part wasn't ??? like it usually is when you can't do something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Andrast posted:

Chapter 6.

I thought I would be able to do it since the Dagas affinity chart part wasn't ??? like it usually is when you can't do something.
Hmm. I forget when is when but I bet you have to be in Chapter 7/8 first - you don't have to go anywhere past Tantal but this game loves locking stuff behind stuff.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Are there any don't do this dummy things to avoid, without spoilers? Just getting started and picked up my first cores.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Chapter 7 spoilers ahead.

I figured Nia was a flesh eater after the hot springs scene, but that love confession to Rex came out of nowhere lmao at a random time. Man I can't blame Rex for being completely confused.

Also, the requirements needed to level Nia's Fortitude is pretty amusing. And rough. Poor Nia.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

victrix posted:

Are there any don't do this dummy things to avoid, without spoilers? Just getting started and picked up my first cores.
Rex doesn't need that many cores - there's a plot-locked one to him in Chapter 3-4 and you get another one in Chapter 3 and those two plus Pyra can carry him for quite a while (so don't use any others on him)

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Poppi is blade and yet more than blade.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
End game plot spoilers.
Xenoblade 1 plot spoilers.

Wait, is Alvis a Blade?
Is Shulk a Driver?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What's with everyone bitching about the abandoned factory? You do realize that none of the enemies there aggro you and there's no reason to attack anything beyond the couple officers guarding keys (who do attack you)?

Or maybe they didn't aggro me only because I had about a 4-level advantage? In which case that should be really easy to get because I used no inn experience for that. Go cash it in if you're really having problems.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The factory enemies are extremely aggro lol

Even if you’re two floors above them

And they love to run away and aggro everyone else nearby

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

ntan1 posted:

End game plot spoilers.
Xenoblade 1 plot spoilers.

Wait, is Alvis a Blade?
Is Shulk a Driver?

Alvis is probably the missing core Klaus mentions, so kinda sorta, but remember that blades are something this Klaus created so Alvis isn't working by the same rules.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Ardryn posted:

Alvis is probably the missing core Klaus mentions, so kinda sorta, but remember that blades are something this Klaus created so Alvis isn't working by the same rules.

Right on the first part. But if Ontos isn't a blade, then why are Pneuma and Logos blades? Assuming that each of the original cores has a similar function, the conclusion I'd have to draw is that Alvis functions in a similar way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Do you need to raise affinity to get certain blades personal quests or is it random? The Electra one just started randomly when I went into Torigoth when she was only at 1 affinity.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

ntan1 posted:

Right on the first part. But if Ontos isn't a blade, then why are Pneuma and Logos blades? Assuming that each of the original cores has a similar function, the conclusion I'd have to draw is that Alvis functions in a similar way.

You're right, even Mythra still operates similarly to a Monado as does Logos because the former has foresight and the latter outright has a Monado. I guess I should say that Ontos/Alvis might be avoiding the pitfall of a blade losing their memory because that is specifically what Xeno2 Klaus modified the blades to do so he could collect data.

vvv Edit: Guess I misunderstood what Klaus was saying then.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ardryn posted:

You're right, even Mythra still operates similarly to a Monado as does Logos because the former has foresight and the latter outright has a Monado. I guess I should say that Ontos/Alvis might be avoiding the pitfall of a blade losing their memory because that is specifically what Xeno2 Klaus modified the blades to do so he could collect data.

The Master Blades don't lose their memory when they return to a Core Crystal. It's explicitly stated that all the Blades are uploading to them each time they return to their Core Crystal, so they just retain all their memories/data.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

Do you need to raise affinity to get certain blades personal quests or is it random? The Electra one just started randomly when I went into Torigoth when she was only at 1 affinity.

Seems to vary.

Andrast posted:

Have you unlocked his fifth affinity level? I haven't and the quest isn't showing for me either.

Fortunately there have been plenty of sidequests for me to work on, so I think I'll know tomorrow night if that's the issue...

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It’s a loving shame the main character can’t yell out Monado all the time.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

ntan1 posted:

Ontos, Logos and Pneuma already existed before the experiment was even done. They were computers that looked like fancy rocks. When the world exploded Our Good Klaus turned the 2 remaining computers in our universe into blades and then made all the other blades to try and fix things. The Bad Klaus didn't have to do this so Ontos was just made into a dude.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

The factory enemies are extremely aggro lol

Even if you’re two floors above them

And they love to run away and aggro everyone else nearby

I guess i found the magic solution. Outlevel them by four or more and they don't bother! Simple

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I love there's one area in the game that still has the "THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME" "DON'T FORGET ME" and "YER DUN" guys. Just run around the area aggro about 10-15 of these guys and have your ears bleed.

Watch out they're level 60

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Merc missions don't cycle through time when the switch is in sleep mode? motherfucker

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Merc missions don't cycle through time when the switch is in sleep mode? motherfucker

Somehow the game time kept going in sleep mode for me and it added 30ish hours to my playtime.

And somehow, oddly enough, despite that increase in playtime the merc missions I had going didn't advance a single minute.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do you deal with those HP shields n poo poo? Just keep hitting it, or something more complex?

This game’s combat is too hectic for me to keep up,. I have no idea what’s going on a lot of the time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's annoying that some main quests (and side quests) require a merc mission so you just sort of...bum around for half an hour. I mean, really?
There's also so many requirements for the different quests and it's so much bother. But that's sort of the idea of the game I guess, tonnes and tonnes of systems for no real reason.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, this game has a serious case of feature bloat. There’s tons of crap to be done and I personally would have preferred if they refined what was already there first.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, this game has a serious case of feature bloat. There’s tons of crap to be done and I personally would have preferred if they refined what was already there first.

When you have sidequests that all have 5 or so steps that require you to go all over it's sort of annoying.
But when that sidequest also has a merc mission in that requires 2 bitballs and a female blade as well as an animal? That's even more annoying because it's down to random chance. Why do that? It just feels like it's justification for all the extra systems and weapons and etc they've thrown in.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just noticed Spike is a thing but this game didn’t give me a tutorial or anything for it. I mean I assume you can still Topple enemies or Launch them to stop it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is anyone else bothered you can't see a list of quests you've completed?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Rex can't yell for poo poo so that's a blessing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I can't decide what's worse, that Rex doesn't or that someone else basically does

Malos Did Nothing Wrong When It Comes To Yelling MONADO SHIELD

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I'm in the middle of Chapter 3, and... uh, are the battles supposed to be taking a long time?

Even when trying to do Blade Combos, even random battles are taking a really long time and Rex does like poo poo damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MechaX posted:

So I'm in the middle of Chapter 3, and... uh, are the battles supposed to be taking a long time?

Even when trying to do Blade Combos, even random battles are taking a really long time and Rex does like poo poo damage.

Combat is quite slow. The game suffers from the disease that there's loads of fancy mechanics so you should be using them all the time and if you don't, you're not going to be doing anything.
And even with those it can take a while!

Rex's damage is only good if you're doing an art and auto attack damage is pretty blah, especially with the Aegis sword.