Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

virinvictus posted:

I meant I hope that it pushes servers and cooks to actually report this s*** going down rather than whispering about it over prep tables.

...why are you censoring your curse words?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
when you dictate text to a phone it bleeps out the words that make baby jesus cry. upon discovering this i realized:

1. how often i curse in text messages and how it might reflect upon my character
2. that i didn't have much use for text dictation after all, if poo poo was gonna gently caress up all over like that.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

virinvictus posted:

I meant I hope that it pushes servers and cooks to actually report this s*** going down rather than whispering about it over prep tables.

I hope it pushes management to actually fire predators rather than blaming anyone who reports harassment, labeling them a troublemaker and finding an "unrelated" reason to replace them.

Victims don't keep silent for fun.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

I hope it pushes management to actually fire predators rather than blaming anyone who reports harassment, labeling them a troublemaker and finding an "unrelated" reason to replace them.

Victims don't keep silent for fun.

This. I really really want things to develop to a point where consequences are visited upon creeps who don't have checkmarks next to their twitter handle or whatever.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

Living in Northern Ontario kinda sucks, lol.

Come to southern Ontario, there's snow but you still don't really need a jacket ever (as someone who grew up in Saskatchewan, where Real Cold(tm) happens).

As for the sexual harassment poo poo coming down the pipe, I actually truly hope that a few people are nailed to a loving cross, the rest are professionally punished in a way that fits their violations, and maybe, just MAYBE, sometime in the next decade people learn to keep their loving hands, comments, and everything else to themselves.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Whilst not working in the hospitality culture (I work in broadcast media), I saw firsthand and also heard afterwards about the more handsome men in our dept being openly hit on/physically assaulted by the gay men who run the upper echelons of our media company at our Xmas party. It's absolutely laughed off when anyone suggests reporting sexual assault/workplace harrassment. Gays just don't do that. Or do they? Yes they do. And they're no less involved in destroying the culture and morale than any predatory straight guy.
Its endemic.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

yeah i feel like it’s more a general guy thing than it is an any particular flavor of guy thing. institutionalized patriarchy, etc.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BastardAus posted:

Whilst not working in the hospitality culture (I work in broadcast media), I saw firsthand and also heard afterwards about the more handsome men in our dept being openly hit on/physically assaulted by the gay men who run the upper echelons of our media company at our Xmas party. It's absolutely laughed off when anyone suggests reporting sexual assault/workplace harrassment. Gays just don't do that. Or do they? Yes they do. And they're no less involved in destroying the culture and morale than any predatory straight guy.
Its endemic.

Hahaha, I work in hospitality AND broadcast media. And yes this is also true.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Trebuchet King posted:

institutionalized patriarchy

...must be dismantled. I appreciate any opportunity to say that as a white man of means, I have learned the most about the world from queer women of color. Support lady owned and operated businesses, particularly in hospitality, y’all.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I worked in a pretty unionized kitchen and they came down hard on harassment. Even a man shaming another one for having a younger girlfriend was almost fired, and we were regularly encouraged to report poor treatment, and measures were regularly taken. Even then, stuff still bled through. You'd notice one cook would disproportionately pick on women and only women for making mistakes to the point where the woman would be driven absolutely nuts. I told the chef that I no longer wanted one of the cooks in my department (large hotel) because it seemed like he just spent a total of an hour just bothering this one girl with "Look at these two diced onion pieces in your five pound pile that are stuck together you can't do that!" type bullshit every day to the point of her getting nervous whenever the door to our department would open. I know unions aren't ideal and can exacerbate things when it becomes a club, but they have the potential to be a third party to put pressure on this kind of crap.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The floodgates are certainly starting to open:

http://www.wbur.org/news/2017/12/12/mccormick-schmick-sexual-harassment-complaint

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

yeah i feel like it’s more a general guy thing than it is an any particular flavor of guy thing. institutionalized patriarchy, etc.

These are all the same thing, my man. It's all a performance of a learned behavior.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's the god drat restaurant industry.....

Sexual behavior between men and women goes both ways. It just happens.

Don't act like it doesn't happen in every restaurant.

If you wanna imply the no hooking up with employees rule that's fine. But I've seen that and it barley if ever works.

Thank you and good day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Man and his dog posted:

If you wanna imply the no hooking up with employees rule that's fine. But I've seen that and it barley if ever works.

Thank you and good day.

congrats on impregnating someone who wasn't asleep at the time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thank you and good day.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Thank you and good day.

This is drat close to word for word what literally every cook and manager in my restaurant are saying. And it’s still just as stupid.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Before the dogpile gets too nutty I just want to say that av is real funny.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm having a hard time deciding where to start between the conflation of consentual sex and harassment, biotruths, and "if you outlaw loving employees then only outlaws will pull them loose guts"

I need a spotter to bench press this much dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding where to start between the conflation of consentual sex and harassment, biotruths, and "if you outlaw loving employees then only outlaws will pull them loose guts"

I need a spotter to bench press this much dumb.

He's not allowed to post in the TFF chat thread for being too rapey, he's too rapey for football fans.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That's because the TFF chat thread is controlled by an AFC South Colts fan maniac.

Literally I have done nothing to that guy...

Sorry the Colts suck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's because the TFF chat thread is controlled by an AFC South Colts fan maniac.

Literally I have done nothing to that guy...

Sorry the Colts suck.

No one accused you of doing something to a guy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You know earlier i was tempted to post something about AMAHD but he hasn't said anything in a while so I didn't want to just make fun of him or out words in his moutn.

Now he showed up and went full idiot so I don't even have to feel bad!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You know earlier i was tempted to post something about AMAHD but he hasn't said anything in a while so I didn't want to just make fun of him or out words in his moutn.

Now he showed up and went full idiot so I don't even have to feel bad!

he’d been probated for like a month

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Don't poo poo where you eat is a Golden rule that should be stamped on the forehead of everyone working in kitchens, everywhere.

That's my hot take, I'll go back to the wonderful world of retail and be glad I don't work in kitchens anymore.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MC Hawking posted:

Don't poo poo where you eat is a Golden rule that should be stamped on the forehead of everyone working in kitchens, everywhere.

That's my hot take, I'll go back to the wonderful world of retail and be glad I don't work in kitchens anymore.

FTFY.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Yeah AMANHD hasn’t been banned from everywhere is like hearing that Moore won’t concede it’s basically background noise at this point.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Thank you and good day.

oh to be autistic...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have a much lighter question. Shrimp with tails on. Speaking only as an ignorant customer, why? Making me disassemble my meal and inevitably find bits of tail somewhere kinda hurts the dish. Why do so many places do this?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

shrimp actually just came up recently in sietsema’s q&a.

some of it’s presentation, some of it’s to keep the tail from burning in certain prep methods, since it’s narrower than the rest of the shrimp.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

mindphlux posted:

oh to be autistic...

durr hurr hurr autism is funny rite guis - mindphlux, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Elizabethan Error posted:

durr hurr hurr autism is funny rite guis - mindphlux, 2017

I worked with an autistic kid that should straight up be a stand up comedian because he has no inner filter. Mid meeting raises his hand, sales manager asks him what makes him uncomfortable, he says this meeting. He says what we're all thinking, and nobody's going to discipline him because he's autistic. Great kid, works hard, absolutely hilarious.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"Chef I... I just fuckin' hate you"

That guy was a straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trebuchet King posted:

shrimp actually just came up recently in sietsema’s q&a.

some of it’s presentation, some of it’s to keep the tail from burning in certain prep methods, since it’s narrower than the rest of the shrimp.

Well, it’s dumb. Especially the presentation argument. I see tails on my shrimp in, e.g. a pasta, I’m not impressed, I’m repressing the urge to curse. Shrimp aren’t soft shell crab, unless they’re in a cocktail they’re usually mixed into something, and now i’m Stuck removing and de-tailing them and either eating them separately, or trying to mix them back into my dish.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, it’s dumb. Especially the presentation argument. I see tails on my shrimp in, e.g. a pasta, I’m not impressed, I’m repressing the urge to curse. Shrimp aren’t soft shell crab, unless they’re in a cocktail they’re usually mixed into something, and now i’m Stuck removing and de-tailing them and either eating them separately, or trying to mix them back into my dish.

Do you get mad at pits in olives? Suck it up big boy.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 16, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it takes half a second to separate the shrimp meat from the tail, the only style i find kind of inconvenient is if they leave the whole shell on the shrimp and that's pretty rare

just eat it the same way you would a mussel or a clam served in their shell

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Plan Z posted:

I know unions aren't ideal and can exacerbate things when it becomes a club, but they have the potential to be a third party to put pressure on this kind of crap.

It's a great idea, but as you say, when it becomes a club poo poo goes awry pretty badly and quickly.
In my experience, humans are basically good as individuals (see the lady who found my wallet last week) but put them in a group under one flag and it gets feral after awhile.

That said, unions made Australian workers laws the envy of the western world back in the 40s thru the 80s. It's only now that union membership and participation is so weak, and we have a conservative government intent on destroying them that they will be an anachronism unless the equally shithouse Labor government gets back in. It's a suck/suck situation.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I worked with an autistic kid that should straight up be a stand up comedian because he has no inner filter. Mid meeting raises his hand, sales manager asks him what makes him uncomfortable, he says this meeting. He says what we're all thinking, and nobody's going to discipline him because he's autistic. Great kid, works hard, absolutely hilarious.

There's a legit great documentary about an autistic comedy troupe, it's brutal and hilarious.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okasCTkahLU

Film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QWGExvgPBo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Do you get angry at pits in olives? Suck it up big boy.

I do when they’re on a pizza.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 16, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Discendo Vox posted:

Agreed. If it's something like shrimp cocktail, leave the half-tails on for a handle. If it's a shrimp boil, leave on all the heads and legs and everything, I don't care. But if it's in pasta, gently caress that, I don't want to reach into my pasta and get sauce all over my hands every two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I do when they’re on a pizza.

That would be the worst.