Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Godless is good but also extremely straightforward/cliched as far as Westerns go and they don’t do enough with the idea of the town of La Belle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Finally started watching Sherlock after sleeping on it for years for no good reason. I've watched the first two so far, and then watched the unaired pilot episode too (which is just a 60 minute low-production version of the first ep).

While the pilot looks budget as hell in comparison and lacks the visual style the show is known for, there was one thing I definitely preferred about the episode plot: Sherlock figures out it's the cabbie, rather than being abducted later. I felt that was a glaring omission and was actually a bit annoyed that a genius detective who notices every detail somehow ignored an entire person rather than putting it together himself. Maybe it was a bid to make the audience feel smarter by beating the super smartypants to the punch? It just seemed out of character for him to skip over that.

Otherwise I really enjoy it so far, I just wish that plot point from the pilot made it into the final episode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah the unaired pilot feels a bit tighter for that reason and a few others (no Gatiss, finale takes place at 221B instead of somewhere else).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The unaired pilot is somehow better paced, better plotted and just visually better (Sherlock is way too heavy on its visual gimmicks IMO).

Word of warning to you by the way. Sherlock is a show which starts out strong-ok and ends up mediocre-awful. You will hate the show if you finish watching the season 4 finale.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

2 weekends ago we binged Fortitude season 1 and it was amazing.

We just finished season 2 and it was absolute trash. It was like a completely different show, and it was loving retarded. What a shame. It even devoted a bunch of last-episode time to setting up what seems to be an even dumber season 3.

It was great when it was "arctic murder mystery with a dash of scifi" but when they tried going all-out X-Files it fell flat on its face.
It's also one of the most pointlessly gory shows I've ever seen. I can live with "graphic polar bear autopsy" because it's in line with the show, but did we really need to see every aspect of a guy cutting off his dick with a knife in a shower and cauterizing it with a soldering iron?

I literally don't think I've ever been so annoyed at a show for wasting my time, except maybe that dumb Gypsy show Shut Eye.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 8, 2017

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Why what's wrong with Shut Eye? I watched it and thought it was a decent "everybody's terrible and out for themselves all the time and suffer consequences for being so" type of show. I mean it wasn't premier prestige-tier television or anything but nothing stood out to me as a particularly glaring issue.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 8, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly I just remember it being pretty bland and boring; I didn't actively hate it I just felt like it was a waste of time. The new season just came out with a different showrunner though, so maybe I'll give it an episode or 2.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I was the man that liked the mist earlier. Upon rewatching the show with a friend to get them into it it wasn't nearly as good as I remember at 5 AM.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I was the man that liked the mist earlier. Upon rewatching the show with a friend to get them into it it wasn't nearly as good as I remember at 5 AM.

It hooked me because they seemed to be pretty good with the horror aspect, and I've always wanted them to explore the "the army hosed up and released this poo poo" aspect of that story, but yeah it was really not very good. The whole smoke monster thing was just :rolleyes: as hell.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's some good tone and atmosphere to The Mist, especially early on, and the twist they seem t o give to the story early on of kind of ditching the monsters from another dimension for a more nature fighting back as monsters is interesting and I think caught a lot of attention. It seemed very intentional that the network released the first 3 episodes at once and the third episode ends with moth man which really hooked you to see how it pays off.

But it never pays off or even gets very followed up on. The Mist ends up having like half a dozen different explanations or elements teased and never does anything to try and draw them together or make them make sense. It ends up becoming a kind of incomprehensible mess of vaguely thought out supernatural ideas framing a really unpleasant soap opera melodrama plot.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

STAC Goat posted:

There's some good tone and atmosphere to The Mist, especially early on, and the twist they seem t o give to the story early on of kind of ditching the monsters from another dimension for a more nature fighting back as monsters is interesting and I think caught a lot of attention. It seemed very intentional that the network released the first 3 episodes at once and the third episode ends with moth man which really hooked you to see how it pays off.

But it never pays off or even gets very followed up on. The Mist ends up having like half a dozen different explanations or elements teased and never does anything to try and draw them together or make them make sense. It ends up becoming a kind of incomprehensible mess of vaguely thought out supernatural ideas framing a really unpleasant soap opera melodrama plot.

The one thing i will give The Mist credit for was that most of the characters in it acted like actual somewhat intelligent people when faced with difficult situations. It was a nice change from the usual "person does dumb poo poo because we need to move the story along" technique.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

2 weekends ago we binged Fortitude season 1 and it was amazing.

We just finished season 2 and it was absolute trash. It was like a completely different show, and it was loving retarded. What a shame. It even devoted a bunch of last-episode time to setting up what seems to be an even dumber season 3.

It was great when it was "arctic murder mystery with a dash of scifi" but when they tried going all-out X-Files it fell flat on its face.
It's also one of the most pointlessly gory shows I've ever seen. I can live with "graphic polar bear autopsy" because it's in line with the show, but did we really need to see every aspect of a guy cutting off his dick with a knife in a shower and cauterizing it with a soldering iron?

I literally don't think I've ever been so annoyed at a show for wasting my time, except maybe that dumb Gypsy show Shut Eye.

I really liked season 1 too, and about 2 episodes into season 2 I just lost interest. That reindeer piss thing seemed really dumb.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

spudsbuckley posted:

The one thing i will give The Mist credit for was that most of the characters in it acted like actual somewhat intelligent people when faced with difficult situations. It was a nice change from the usual "person does dumb poo poo because we need to move the story along" technique.

People were acting randomly crazy after a couple days.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

People were acting randomly crazy after a couple days.

Totally, but in the show's defence (not that it really deserves it) would you want to watch a version of The Mist where this doesn't happen? Neither version is exactly high art, the thrill comes from watching people make a series of steadily escalating decisions that lead them to tearing chunks out of each other for basically stupid reasons.

By comparison, in the movie it takes them maybe two days to get to human sacrifice.Though, of course, it was much, much better than the series.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That reindeer piss thing seemed really dumb.

It's a real thing though?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 9, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It is a real thing but not even remotely in the context of how it'd used in the show, it doesn't magically cure eye-bleeding disease and poo poo, and I'm not sure why the kids the show act like it's some heroin type poo poo, it's just a hallucinogenic/dissociative kind of like regular mushrooms or maybe ketamine

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a real thing though?

Yeah, it was just a dumb plot point or something, I dunno. I didn't think a lot about it, I just knew the show wasn't very enjoyable anymore.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

The unaired pilot is somehow better paced, better plotted and just visually better (Sherlock is way too heavy on its visual gimmicks IMO).

Word of warning to you by the way. Sherlock is a show which starts out strong-ok and ends up mediocre-awful. You will hate the show if you finish watching the season 4 finale.
The middle/end of the pilot is better paced, though I feel like the beginning kind of drops you straight into it instead of a slow burn that the proper show earned better via showing you each of the victims. Both versions have their merits and I kind of wish there was an in-between version.

I don't mind the visual style, I find it's helpful in conveying Sherlock's thinking process. But then I also didn't mind Will Graham's magic time travel forensics pendulum on Hannibal either. Really there should just be a show where Cumberbatch as Sherlock tries to track down Mikkelsen as Hannibal and they can both try to outsmug and outmanipulate each other.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Magicians season 2, it is good

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bowmore posted:

The Magicians season 2, it is good

Correct A+

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The Punisher

It's okay. It's keeping my interest and is pretty alright all around, but I'm nearing the end of the season and there have barely been any good firefights, or fights in general, so far. SO FAR, I think the Punisher had cooler scenes in Daredevil

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh, you're gonna get some good fights at the end.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fartbox posted:

The Punisher

It's okay. It's keeping my interest and is pretty alright all around, but I'm nearing the end of the season and there have barely been any good firefights, or fights in general, so far. SO FAR, I think the Punisher had cooler scenes in Daredevil

You need to remember too, this is still proto Punisher.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Punisher show takes place after Daredevil. I don't think any of the fights lives up to the prison fight in Daredevil but there's some graphic torture stuff going on in the last few episodes that's up there with anything I've seen in movies.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Glad I gave Mindhunter a shot. Love it so far.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching Ash vs Evil Dead and I thought the horror would put me off of it but it's been manageable and I'm hoping that Season 2 is just as good as the first season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

Watching Ash vs Evil Dead and I thought the horror would put me off of it but it's been manageable and I'm hoping that Season 2 is just as good as the first season.

It is. I liked it better to be honest.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

It is. I liked it better to be honest.

Which ever season has Samara Weaving is the superior season.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So after Always Sunny I was looking for another comedy show. I started watching Curb Your Enthusiams and Trailer Park Boys. So far I have only watched 1 season of Curb Your Enthusiam and I don't have hbo so I can't watch it anymore

I did manage to watch 6 seasons of Trailer Park Boys on Netflix. I really like this show. The story in someway is kinda similar to Always Sunny. Bad people try to get rich but end up failing every time but instead of bad people it is really stupid people. There is always a new plan to get rich but they always fail.

I feel like Always Sunny did a way better job diversifying the schemes and developing the characters. TPB characters are very very one note which is it's strength but also a weak point. I know one is more of a sitcom/dark comedy and the other is parody but still wanted to point that out.

The cycle of planning > doing illegal activity > going to jail is basically the arc of every season. Maybe the writers are trying to send a message of criminals can't really progress in life or it is really hard but actually it just comes off as lazy writing to me because it gives an excuse to not develop the characters at all.

I understand some characters like Ricky are too stupid to progress and that is the whole point but other characters like Julian or Bubbles stay the same from s1 to s6. Lahey and Ricky make sense for not progressing since they have major flaws like one being uneducated, stupid and the other being an alcoholic.

Anyway that's a lot of text. Might seem like I don't like the show but I do like it. I wish they took more risks with character development or introduce new elements/characters into the story. Probably going to keep watching until I don't find it funny.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Just finished season 2 of The Magicians on Netflix.

God drat, I love this terrible show. It is very fun and stupid. I love Eliot.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fartbox posted:

The Punisher

I loved the Punisher. Its a great exploration on the horrors of violence and how it destroys all it touches. Had some non-comic friends watch with me and they also loved it. Not as much of a comic book show as the rest. My favourite so far but that's probably because some of its themes really hit close to home. The last fight scene will probably hit more of that sweet spot. The second to last episode is still brutal. ALMOST wish it had ended there. DD still has some great fight scenes.
"I am home."

Had some downtime recently so.....

Spaced - It was a welcome return for me as it has been years. Felt like I found an old pair of Chucks from high school. Comfortable and nostalgic but still holds some serious comedic chops. Seriously bloody great show and found myself missing it the moment the last episode finished.

Constantine - I was very sceptical. Constantine was one of those old comics a mate of mine let me borrow centuries ago. He had a run of trades from the 1st issue all the way to the end of the Garth Ennis run. I wanted to hate this show... and was shocked how much I liked it. The lead, Matt Ryan, doesn't just do a good job - the guy is perfect. I do wish it had been a bit more UK centric, but I was surprised how little I cared once things went along. Good watch and only 12 episodes so easy to binge. Hopefully the rumours are true and it gets a second life on CW.

The Mist - So the short story was good. The movie from a decade ago was shockingly amazing albeit bleak. Oh yeah... don't watch the Mist movie and The Road back to back. Might lead to Ian Curtisville. Anyway the television show. The first episode was a bit of fairly decent setup. Far more graphic than I expected and built up some nice tension. I thought it might be a fun ride. I didn't read anything about it, so had some hope. Then I kept watching. The gently caress? Seriously. What went on after that first episode? First episode was still decent but the series went aggressively downhill. I felt like the showrunner had an agenda of some sorts. Some dark agenda to make humanity pay for its sins. That is what this show felt like. It hated everything and everyone and would make sure you suffered. Every character was aggravating. Every time you started to like someone the show sensed it and made them do something both confusing and irritating. American TV cliches gather here, from "use weapon once then drop it" to "I can't just say one sentence and solve all these tensions.... no I must keep quiet and look mysterious" to "I will not make sense as I am a woman. x10 sass and chaos if woman is a teenager" to much, much more. And there is no logic. A character can be "no we must preserve all life no matter the cost" then go start eating babies and sacrificing puppies to Dread Lorth Cthulhu. In the same episode. 5 minutes later. Same went with every aspect of the show. It was mind boggling. Someone spent serious money on this and it was truly bad. Not the Room badly entertaining but more Inhumans TV show tediously awful. Even the cool deaths and effects from the 1st ep eventually devolve into 3rd rate made for SyFy knock offs. Not Z-Nation fun zombiecheesewheelofdeath either. I do have to thank them for one thing: they killed off most of the aggravating cast in the last episode. I actually applauded that. Sorry if anyone feels spoiled but I am doing this for you. I like you guys too much to let you waste time watching this show and I know I wish I had been warned. Don't do it. Thank Christ it was cancelled. Seriously, nobody should watch this show unless they are truly wretched people. I wish we could resurrect Jimmy Saville just to make him watch this show Ad nauseam, ad infinitum. Still confused how it went so wrong so fast.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

Constantine - I was very sceptical. Constantine was one of those old comics a mate of mine let me borrow centuries ago. He had a run of trades from the 1st issue all the way to the end of the Garth Ennis run. I wanted to hate this show... and was shocked how much I liked it. The lead, Matt Ryan, doesn't just do a good job - the guy is perfect. I do wish it had been a bit more UK centric, but I was surprised how little I cared once things went along. Good watch and only 12 episodes so easy to binge. Hopefully the rumours are true and it gets a second life on CW.

Not sure if you knew this, but Matt Ryan showed up as Constantine in one episode of Arrow during Season 4, and just appeared at the end of the last episode of Legends of Tomorrow. He is also getting an animated series on CW Seed, similar to the Vixen and The Ray series they've already done. I loved the Constantine series and wish it had continued, especially since they were teasing the Spectre with Corrigan, Dr. Fate's helmet was on a shelf in the background, and they were already digging into Alan Moore's mythology.

I agree Ryan is one of the most perfect casting choices in a comic book role of all time. Christopher Reeve, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Matt Ryan. I'll add Wentworth Miller, Gal Gadot, and Hugh Jackman in there too.

EDIT: And J.K. Simmons (as J. Jonah Jameson, not as Commissioner Gordon).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 16, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You forgot JK Simmons

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Senerio posted:

You forgot JK Simmons

Oh poo poo, I totally did. He was perfect in every way. Gonna edit my list!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Not sure if you knew this, but Matt Ryan showed up as Constantine in one episode of Arrow during Season 4, and just appeared at the end of the last episode of Legends of Tomorrow. He is also getting an animated series on CW Seed, similar to the Vixen and The Ray series they've already done. I loved the Constantine series and wish it had continued, especially since they were teasing the Spectre with Corrigan, Dr. Fate's helmet was on a shelf in the background, and they were already digging into Alan Moore's mythology.

I agree Ryan is one of the most perfect casting choices in a comic book role of all time. Christopher Reeve, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Matt Ryan. I'll add Wentworth Miller, Gal Gadot, and Hugh Jackman in there too.

EDIT: And J.K. Simmons (as J. Jonah Jameson, not as Commissioner Gordon).

Sebastian Stan belongs in that group.

So does the CGI Colossus from Deadpool

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I can't let Hugh Jackman in that list. He's too handsome, too tall, and too famous for the role.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Parkingtigers posted:

I can't let Hugh Jackman in that list. He's too handsome, too tall, and too famous for the role.

He was barely famous in Australia before X-Men, let alone the rest of the world.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He was barely famous in Australia before X-Men, let alone the rest of the world.

That's a fair point. He was still too tall and too handsome though. Later when he became proper famous that did influence Wolverine's role in the team, which compounded the fact that Wolvie was already overexposed in the comics due to being a fan fave. He just doesn't work as a character when he's front and centre in a leadership role. Films had the same problem with Jennifer Lawrence suddenly becoming a huge star so they reworked her role to suit.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Finished binging through Big Little Lies, and I must say it was a good ride. The wrap-up/end of the season left a bit to be desired and I can’t tell if that’s to leave it open for more seasons or just sloppy writing, but as a whole it really is a top notch show.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Wolverine being "short" means nothing to me. Hugh Jackman took a ridiculous character and made it the most interesting one in the X-men movies. Without him the movies just wouldn't have been as interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Ulio posted:

So after Always Sunny I was looking for another comedy show. I started watching Curb Your Enthusiams and Trailer Park Boys. So far I have only watched 1 season of Curb Your Enthusiam and I don't have hbo so I can't watch it anymore

TPB owns. Also, all the Curb seasons but I think the most current one are on Prime if you have that or want to sign up for a free trial.