Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
I can't wrap my mind around the idea that Bezos spent tens of millions on CryEngine. Didn't he realize he could go to CryTek's website and download it for free? :trustme:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Spiderdrake posted:

I dunno Toops but it feels like your experience with Elite was more like a protracted bathroom experience than the taste of oblivion

Protracted bathroom experiences are the only respite I get from the madding crowd. Elite is like walking into a quiet, empty workplace restroom, settling into a stall, breathing a sigh of relief, then some idiot throws open the door, shuffles quickly into the stall next to yours with your inner monologue going “No no no no no no no” and proceeds to have explosive, groaning diarrhea. Nothing to do but pull them trousers back up, exit, and try again later when maybe it’s not so poo poo.

But it’s never not so poo poo. It’s horrible. Ever has it been, and so ever shall it be.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

It's time for a 2.6.3 leaderboard update, Skadden edition! Here we compare the leaderboards between December 13 ~17:30 and December 16 ~06:30 (both times UTC). Usually I like to use a longer baseline for comparison, but oh well. Another caveat is that more of the hardcore users are probably playing 3.0 PTU, which doesn't show up on the 2.6.3 leaderboards. With that said...

Average concurrent player count...
...for Star Marine: 7.5
...for Arena Commander: 12.6
...for racing: 2.2

...for all EA modules (does not include the PU): 22.2

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

boviscopophobic posted:

It's time for a 2.6.3 leaderboard update, Skadden edition! Here we compare the leaderboards between December 13 ~17:30 and December 16 ~06:30 (both times UTC). Usually I like to use a longer baseline for comparison, but oh well. Another caveat is that more of the hardcore users are probably playing 3.0 PTU, which doesn't show up on the 2.6.3 leaderboards. With that said...

...PC Gaming Status: Saved

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

“The Book of My Enemy Has Been Remaindered” (the referent poem) is really funny to me.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 16, 2017

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

XK posted:

Yeah, that would be the other side of it. They can't use CryEngine anymore, can use Lumberyard, but all rights to any code developed while on CryEngine has to be handed over to CryTek, and CIG has to start over from scratch with off-the-shelf Lumberyard.

What a mess.

It's irrelevant anyway. CIG had their contract, end of story.

Ah that's not that bad. They barely have begun development at this point anyway. So they won't loose much.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

boviscopophobic posted:

So, basically, the same as Dereks games?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

'The Space Game Of My Frenemy Is Now Imploding'
by David Braben, OBE

The space game of my frenemy is now imploding
And I am pleased.
With countless setbacks it has been confounded
Like a puzzle, barely-started, freshly tossed -
Its pieces scattered by his sneeze
And mixed with piles of other, better puzzles.

My frenemy's costly codebase sits in shambles
In the kind of hellhole where perma-crunch is demanded.
Great, long lists of rejected features and, betwixt them, ever longer lists of bugs and incompatibilities.
Pausing to remember all those bloody stretch goals...
Promised to appear in one's frenemy's game...
For behold, here is that game!
Hawking cargo pants at 15 FPS
With tedious and purposely fun-killing chores
That he calls “game-loops”.

The space game of my frenemy is now collapsing
And I rejoice.
Splintered like a balsa Cutlass into toothpicks
Beneath the hammer.
What avail him now his praise and riches?
The cheers expended upon his “immersive” ambitions?
His “fidelitous” new vision?
Knocked back with the scandal spawns of yesteryear
His brainchild now consorts with the damned ones
The stinkers, stankers, dregs and turds,
The Daikatanas of the world of unplayabale tripe,
The blunders that no amount of hype could shift,
The unbudgeable turkeys.

Yea, his bloated vision with its audacious trailers
Now captive in the pillory beside the much-derided Duke Nukem Forever,
His unmistakably hubristic claims
Will shine in clickbait archives with the acorn tales of Peter Molyneux’s Fable.
His creativity, proclaimed by himself and believed by others,
His renowned contempt of all compromise and process,
Has jailed his name and game with APB: All Points Bulletin-- one hundred million bucks yet how they suck!

And (oh, this above all) his “Fidelity”,
His “Fidelity” and its ludicrous polycounts,
His beautiful, vainglorious “Fidelity” is now recalled
Like John Romero’s legendary arrow texture map
1300 x 960 pixels wasted on projectile skins in an age when entire monitors offered less.

Soon now a game of mine might face implosion also,
Though not to the monumental extent to which the chastisement at hand will be meted out
To the space game of my frenemy,
Since in the case of my own game it will be due
To a miscalculated Powerplay update, another Sandro error--
Nothing to do with merit.
But just supposing that such an event should hold?
Some slight element of sorrow? It will be offset
By the memory of this sweet moment.
Fire up the Cubans and fetch the Laproaig!
The space game of my frenemy is now imploding
And I am glad.

A good :justpost:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just caught up

Jesus Christ

Crytek is going for the kill

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also a neat little game called Evochron Legends has like a lot of the features SC wants and it even has multi. And it's mage by one guy

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Toops posted:

Have you ever laid down in bed, closed your eyes, and then teleported to the morning? Being dead feels exactly like that part you missed, and by induction, so does Elite.

By technicality we die whenever we sleep.

What wakes up is a new mind entirely, an imposter living with all the memories of the bodies past experiences.

Keep in mind that our consciousness is merely a product of electrical activity in the brain while we are awake. Those processes stop when you sleep. Therefor you die when you sleep and a new being takes your place with your memories and thoughts. A perfect imposter that doesnt even realize it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Then Roberts addresses the crowd. "What should we do with her?" he calls.

The crowd shouts in reply.

"MAKE HER ACT!"

Friend says he left soon after.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Phi230 posted:

game called Evochron Legends

Why do so many video games have such bland, insipid, word salad titles?

Destiny: Unleashed
Hunter Stars: Rebellion
Legends of Horizon
Infiltrator Reckoning
War Team Excelsior
Paths of Oblivion

Star Citizen

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

"That's three days, now, you've been trying to get rid of the, err, funding prop-up shell scripts! What the gently caress is going on with you! Shut it down!"

"It's not so easy. The cron jobs were all set up by different people, and most of those staff members aren't working for us any more. Plus, they are all running on different machines. I've found six more shell scripts just this morning."

"Listen up, idiot, every cent on those blue bar graphs gets, um, added to that loving lawsuit as damages to award Crytek! The front page of our, um, website, pissing away the whale money! And it's not even REAL whale money! Make it STOP!"

"I did! I disabled a daily "gladius_avenger.sh", 3 weekly jobs running of "890_jump.sh", plus one called "george_lucas_can_suck_it.sh" running on your personal workstation on a Linux VM, and..."

"Um, keep your voice down, okay, just..."

"That one was buying a Completionist Package every 42 hours, which was..."

"Okay! Just do it! Um, I need to go pack now."

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

grimcreaper posted:

By technicality we die whenever we sleep.

What wakes up is a new mind entirely, an imposter living with all the memories of the bodies past experiences.

Keep in mind that our consciousness is merely a product of electrical activity in the brain while we are awake. Those processes stop when you sleep. Therefor you die when you sleep and a new being takes your place with your memories and thoughts. A perfect imposter that doesnt even realize it.

I’m like, cool with that, but also kind of not.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
grayheadedgamer has a brand new computer that doesn't even have steam installed. He's been trying to stream Star Citizen for the last 30mins but it crashes immediately. It's pretty sad watching these guy play all these mind games on themselves, "oh maybe if I restart without quickboot!", "It's crashing in RAM because your RAM is bad!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

Also a neat little game called Evochron Legends has like a lot of the features SC wants and it even has multi. And it's mage by one guy

Evochron is really impressive for a 1 man job. It's basically a modern version of freelancer.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bootcha posted:

Oh the lawyers outside are frightful
But the dreams are so delightful
And since we've got nothing to show
Three point oh! Three point oh! Three point oh!

Man the project shows signs of stopping
And I've bought this Porche for retiring
The build functionality's low

When we finally say "We Tried"
How I'll hate showing up in these courts!
But before I'm undone by my pride
Do you know any non-extradition ports?

The hype is slowly dying
And, citizen, we've stopped refunding
Don't mind me if I tiptoe

:kiss:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I just bought a python after cheesing a bunch of passenger missions so I figured I should make it purple. No idea what I'm gonna do now but at least my AspX doesn't have to pretend to be a freighter now (:rip: exploration dreams, I swear I'll take you out of the bubble some day Aspie)

An ASP is not an ASP until it has visited Sagittarius A.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You wouldn't download a CryEngine.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

EminusSleepus posted:

An ASP is not an ASP until it has visited Sagittarius A.

(it's an Asp, not an ASP)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

grayheadedgamer has a brand new computer that doesn't even have steam installed. He's been trying to stream Star Citizen for the last 30mins but it crashes immediately. It's pretty sad watching these guy play all these mind games on themselves, "oh maybe if I restart without quickboot!", "It's crashing in RAM because your RAM is bad!"

Not sure if last part was serious, but if you're putting together a new machine you should buy a backup brand of ram with the plan of sending it back. Every system I've ever put together the first set of ram never works.

(Buying the second set confuses the pantheon of cats that rule us all and forces the first set of ram to work)

Crazypoops fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 16, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

I see that Vulture in Sag A* and raise it with...

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Whatever happened to OldSchoolCmdr?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Dooguk posted:

Derek got bored of him.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dooguk posted:

Derek has actual scoops right now.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Tell that to my spergy autocorrect

necroid
May 14, 2009

all caught up, read (almost) every post as usual, hilarious as always

although a lot of people itt need to stop the circlejerk of lengthy speculative posts that nobody reads, it's cringy as gently caress and makes it harder to keep up with the actually interesting news and conversations (cig gently caress-ups, code insights, etc.)

thanks bye

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

necroid posted:

all caught up, read (almost) every post as usual, hilarious as always

although a lot of people itt need to stop the circlejerk of lengthy speculative posts that nobody reads, it's cringy as gently caress and makes it harder to keep up with the actually interesting news and conversations (cig gently caress-ups, code insights, etc.)

thanks bye

You just dont understand shitpost development!!

also..

:same:

necroid
May 14, 2009

I also die a little every time I see edited song lyrics, please stop those at least

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

You can't try to understand this poo poo, man. It's kind of like an acid trip - just close your eyes and follow the citizens through the stars

I mean, seriously though, we make fun of these chucklefucks all day long when they truly deserve it, but stuff like this is beyond belief. And to think that almost ONE HUNDRED loving CLOWNS upvoted that. :iiam:

I mean, they have a loving broken game, in a broken engine, but yeah, CIG totally has the capability to develop code and pass it to AMZ. Not to mention that the entire Lumberyard Git repository is online and accessible, giving everyone a clear view of WHAT THE HOLY gently caress IS IN IT AND FROM WHOM!!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

necroid posted:

I also die a little every time I see edited song lyrics,

please stop those at least

because if you've got a song in your heart

it should at least have a beat

do dododododododododo

babababab popo skoobeedeebeedooo

wacha wachow dopopawow

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

Nalled it. Network culling is loving hard at best. And i’m just an internet idiot, not a diciple of Christ Roberts and His glorious Vision. How the gently caress are they so bad at game development? Remember, they’ve been talking about this feature for at least 2 years.

It is truly a mystery.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mr Fronts posted:

"That's three days, now, you've been trying to get rid of the, err, funding prop-up shell scripts! What the gently caress is going on with you! Shut it down!"

"It's not so easy. The cron jobs were all set up by different people, and most of those staff members aren't working for us any more. Plus, they are all running on different machines. I've found six more shell scripts just this morning."

"Listen up, idiot, every cent on those blue bar graphs gets, um, added to that loving lawsuit as damages to award Crytek! The front page of our, um, website, pissing away the whale money! And it's not even REAL whale money! Make it STOP!"

"I did! I disabled a daily "gladius_avenger.sh", 3 weekly jobs running of "890_jump.sh", plus one called "george_lucas_can_suck_it.sh" running on your personal workstation on a Linux VM, and..."

"Um, keep your voice down, okay, just..."

"That one was buying a Completionist Package every 42 hours, which was..."

"Okay! Just do it! Um, I need to go pack now."

:perfect:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dooguk posted:

Good question. He hasn't popped up on Twitter in awhile. I recall that shortly after we shut down the harassment hate sub of racist pedos over at /r/ds, and he had his spat with Jester, he said he was done with SC drama for awhile. I expected him to pop up after this CryTek lawsuit. Going to DM him right now actually.

----------------

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Nebakenezzer posted:

Who is Ortwin again?

If they are a lawyer, they are well named, with "win" right in the name

Yes but Oughttowin is just more spin and bluster.

It also rhymes with "scrotum" which isnt a word you want to use in front of judge too often.

And that is before we get anywhere near his surname.

You can do a lot with Freyermuth.

Baldness fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 16, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

This was evident in late 2015 where a senior animation artist on ATV talked about how hard it was to transform the mocap data to work with the latest version of the character rig. If I remember right, in 2015 they were on v6 of the player rig. God knows what version they’re on now.

It’s like trying to hit a moving target on a moving boat from another moving target on a different boat.

A year later wasn't it Sean Tracy saying the mocap data was in-engine in 2 clicks?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

A year later wasn't it Sean Tracy saying the mocap data was in-engine in 2 clicks?

Yes

----------------

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Presumably discovery would include auditing the source code regardless; a line by line diff would be an uphill battle but "they were so lazy and complacent that they didn't even bother to change the copyright headers" would likely be cut and dry, if lumberyard has different ones

You’re still explaining source code to the public and there are innocuous ways that it could happen.

What i’m saying is that they have Crobbers incriminating himself, in his own words, about breaching the contract. They don’t need anything else.

The risk in the jury trial is the jury. The easier the case is to explain, the better that it is. I’m even expecting a motion to summary judgement if they don’t come back with a reasonable defence, depending on the amount that they’re seeking.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Promises!
- No publishers.
- The crowdfunded money are way better utilized
- Shorter development time
- No focus on bogus demos for big gaming conferences
- Delivery on (2) games within 2-3 years, otherwise things become stale

Reality:
- partnerships with (at the least) Amazon, Intel, AMD, and arguably Crytek who provided additional funds. Signed contracts have started to backfire.
- Development hell, investments on 3rd parties that were commissioned to do work were thrown to the fire pit, numerous companies started all around the world for no apparent reason. Backers are expected to keep funding at a regular basis to get "the better experience possible".
- Five to six years in development, still in pre-alpha, non-existent gameplay loop.
- Plenty of bogus demos, unrelated to whatever turds they actually "release". Marketing tactics that are way past borderline sleazy.
- Backers get to play the broken pre-alpha demo, which is laggy, buggy, crashy and choppy as hell and on top of that they are segmented in tiers of Avocados, Subscribers and plebs who still don't get to play the 3.0 pre-alpha. Feature creep is out of control.

This is all good for Star Citizen because at least CIG tries, Crobblz is a genious and, most importantly, DREAMS.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 16, 2017