Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Who is Ortwin again?

If they are a lawyer, they are well named, with "win" right in the name

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortwin_Freyermuth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its sad when even Tommy Wiseau has a more accessible and larger cult following for a lovely project.

Not to mention how similar the two are with their inability to grasp the english language as well as being terrible speakers in every sense of the word.

Although, at least when Tommy forgets his lines, he's talking about ink on paper.

Wiseau also definitely has passion for what he's doing while Roberts always seems annoyed when he has to talk about SC nowadays.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Who is Ortwin again?

If they are a lawyer, they are well named, with "win" right in the name

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:ohdear:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3243027/gaming/this-week-in-games-crytek-sues-star-citizen-destiny-2-the-dawning-holiday-event-revealed.html

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

You’re still explaining source code to the public and there are innocuous ways that it could happen.

What i’m saying is that they have Crobbers incriminating himself, in his own words, about breaching the contract. They don’t need anything else.

The risk in the jury trial is the jury. The easier the case is to explain, the better that it is. I’m even expecting a motion to summary judgement if they don’t come back with a reasonable defence, depending on the amount that they’re seeking.

Not a jury trial.

So I have been having a text exchange with me attorney...

One of those discussions involves all the paid shills/streamers who probably haven't been disclosing (as per FTC guidelines) that they were either sponsored by or received gifts from CIG. ALL of that is going to come out in discovery. I had completely forgotten about those pricks!!

So those emails are probably going to contain any sort of instructions from CIG, discussions etc, that related to me. Which is why I had posted yesterday in the new tweet storm* that discovery is going to be such a loving lol factory, that it's going to open them to even more aggro and lawsuits (e.g. from me)

* https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941688759589986305(

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The very last page of the complaint has a demand for a jury trial. We may never get there since CIG seems intent on proving there's no material dispute of facts and going straight to the money extraction phase, but it's there.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If you ask me, with the ELE upon us, it's a good time to open up a crisp, cool can of Dr. Smart.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Man i have the giggles every darn time your Avator scrolls onto my screen.

Also when you release the book, if i purchase it and sent it to you somehow someway, would you be willing to personally sign it and write some sort of special msg on the inside cover, my old man is a fan of your games and other older 80's/90's space sims and i recon it would be a kick rear end present to give to him.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Caught up thanks to the recap thread. Virtual Captain is the one true god, bow down to him oh ye Crobbler

ewe2 posted:

Here's a little song I wrote, you might want to learn it note for note, don't worry be happy

(I will be recording a new parody tonight hopefully when it's a bit cooler. It is very relevant right now)

Derek Smart was right.
Also this was loving amazing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

Also when you release the book, if i purchase it and sent it to you somehow someway, would you be willing to personally sign it and write some sort of special msg on the inside cover, my old man is a fan of your games and other older 80's/90's space sims and i recon it would be a kick rear end present to give to him.

Once Crytek own Star Citizen, they can bring the good doctor on board and he can appear at Citizencons.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

If you ask me, with the ELE upon us, it's a good time to open up a crisp, cool can of Dr. Smart.

How does Dr Smart taste?

Right.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Abuminable posted:

I can't wrap my mind around the idea that Bezos spent tens of millions on CryEngine. Didn't he realize he could go to CryTek's website and download it for free? :trustme:

Does anyone else find it weird that Jeff Bezos now looks more like Vin Diesel than Vin Diesel does?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kw0134 posted:

The very last page of the complaint has a demand for a jury trial. We may never get there since CIG seems intent on proving there's no material dispute of facts and going straight to the money extraction phase, but it's there.

Yeah, that's what I mean. It will never get that far. I have no reason to believe they're dumb enough to not settle this long before then.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/942039652399288322

----------------

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

put hot sauce in it

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

Yeah, I love it. I wish I knew who bought it. Whoever bought me that, please PM me so I can set a reminder to send a free autographed copy of the book.

quote:

Yes, of course. I will post instructions on how to do that once it is published. Right now, the plan is for hardcover, paperback and Kindle. So anyone buying and send me their copy in a self-addressed return mailer, will get it signed.

And I don't care how many pages it takes, all Goons actively involved in this drama since The July Blog, will be listed individually. I am still waiting on legal to let me know if I can in fact use the memes which have become part of the drama culture. Though they are in public domain, the ones I use, I may just need a waiver from the creators. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I am also considering doing an audio book of all the blogs, and all the key articles I have written. Just need to figure out if I am going to narrate it, of have a voice actor do it; since I know several who have worked with me on games over the years.

----------------

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Yes, of course. I will post instructions on how to do that once it is published. Right now, the plan is for hardcover, paperback and Kindle. So anyone buying and send me their copy in a self-addressed return mailer, will get it signed.

And I don't care how many pages it takes, all Goons actively involved in this drama since The July Blog, will be listed individually. I am still waiting on legal to let me know if I can in fact use the memes which have become part of the drama culture. Though they are in public domain, the ones I use, I may just need a waiver from the creators. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I am also considering doing an audio book of all the blogs, and all the key articles I have written. Just need to figure out if I am going to narrate it, of have a voice actor do it; since I know several who have worked with me on games over the years.

Get Ken Burns to do a documentary. Working Title: "The Dumbest Thumb in the Room"

The Ken Burns pan over AdzAdama portfolio would be glorious.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. It will never get that far. I have no reason to believe they're dumb enough to not settle this long before then.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/942039652399288322

Between the allegations of money issues and the fact some of what's in the lawsuit is tied up as collateral in a loan, is settling still a death-blow for CIG? Would they have anything left at the end?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : a bitter suppository to...chew?...on..

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing settling at this point means that Crytek would take like 30% of everything CIG manages to ingest, with code police and a shitload of other oversight crobbo wouldn't care for

if that happens, Chris would end up leaving

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheAgent posted:

I'm guessing settling at this point means that Crytek would take like 30% of everything CIG manages to ingest, with code police and a shitload of other oversight crobbo wouldn't care for

So Star Citizen might actually be finished in 2018 is what you're saying.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think I've always said 2018 was when star citizen was coming out

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and it's going to be amazing

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

TheAgent posted:

Well that's definitely a stake through the heart of the ol' vampire.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Maybe a revenue sharing deal.

Idiot whales can pay for it.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I wonder how Crytek would feel about filling the role of a publisher?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

All this talk about "discovery" can someone enlighten me? Is it a new ship?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Well that's definitely a stake through the heart of the ol' vampire.

I think backers are more in love with their dreams than with "Chris as a visionary" by now.

If he leaves and they see a clear path to their ships being in a playable game, they will quickly pivot to "Yeah, we knew Chris was a hack and a terrible manager all along. (We have always been at war with Eastasia.)"

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

I remember someone showing some sort of in game league table for Star Citizen, like some game mode, where one combat ship dominated everything.

Anyone know what that was? And what the ship was, and if this still applies? I am doing internet arguing.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I wonder how Crytek would feel about filling the role of a publisher?
they don't want anything to do with that, I imagine

they just want their cash

and when you end up loving over someone for years, they want more

so even if CIG settles, it's going to be for an upfront amount + back end + probably POS for any ship or asset, with quarterly code reviews to make sure CIG is sticking to the deal

becoming their publisher just saddles them with a shitload of problems

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If Derek does write a book about this I hope it is in the form of a choose your own adventure, with every page citing other pages in the book ultimately ending in a link to his July blog.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

All this talk about "discovery" can someone enlighten me? Is it a new ship?

Imagine a house.

Imagine that house is full of steaks.

Imagine yourself grilling up one of those steaks.

Imagine eating up that delicious steak on the back porch of your upper middle class Maine home overlooking the autumn trees starting to take on their first color of the year while the neighbor's golden retriever sits by your side. It's crisp out, but not so cold that you can't enjoy a nice beer.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Nevermind I looked it up and I was way wrong.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
no. that was right. so right.

amen brother

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

It's worse.

Though I am not at liberty to share anything further, anyone who thinks this lawsuit is just hand-waving, is a loving ignorant moron.

It has teeth; big teeth. And CIG/RSI can neither afford (they will try) to settle, nor delay it - thus risking crazy things like depositions & discovery.

They are truly in a really bad Catch-22 situation.

Also...

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941770899488899072

----------------

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

Imagine a house.

Imagine that house is full of steaks.

Imagine yourself grilling up one of those steaks.

Imagine eating up that delicious steak on the back porch of your upper middle class Maine home overlooking the autumn trees starting to take on their first color of the year while the neighbor's golden retriever sits by your side. It's crisp out, but not so cold that you can't enjoy a nice beer.

This made me hungry...... Again

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

TheAgent posted:

they don't want anything to do with that, I imagine

they just want their cash

and when you end up loving over someone for years, they want more

so even if CIG settles, it's going to be for an upfront amount + back end + probably POS for any ship or asset, with quarterly code reviews to make sure CIG is sticking to the deal

becoming their publisher just saddles them with a shitload of problems

I am confused.

Are we saying CIG may be forced to back out of Lumberyard?

Then again Crytek are claiming some sort of exclusive tied deal was made?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/210012924?t=01h13m32s

:yarg:

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

D_Smart posted:

It's worse.

Though I am not at liberty to share anything further, anyone who thinks this lawsuit is just hand-waving, is a loving ignorant moron.

- Coutts did their due diligence, Coutts was aware when they handed over the dosh for Sq42 rights
- But SQ42 is essentially running on an unlicensed engine, Coutts knew this, CIG knew this
- Crytek threatening SQ42 maybe have been "encouraged" by Coutts
- Coutts now take SC ownership since that was the collateral offered and CIG took the loan under false pretences
- Crytek, due to previously signed deal, force CIG to back SC out of Lumberyard
- Ben Parry has to draw a new diagram to show how easy this is
- SC drags on whales being milked for eternity

?

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 16, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I just saw the argument that CIG can settle by giving CryTek a portion of sales of only the game packages. All the ship sales are separate, so they don't have to give any of that money. Therefore it will only be a few million.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

reverend crabhands posted:

I am confused.

Are we saying CIG may be forced to back out of Lumberyard?

Then again Crytek are claiming some sort of exclusive tied deal was made?

So basically what crytek wants is for a complete halt of use of anything that uses cryengine or derived from cryengine.

I didn't read the complaint but from what someone posted that's what it comes down to.

So if crytek wins not only will they want (a lot) money for the multiple breaches of the contract but they want to stop CIG from using their IP and that means that CIG will have to literally start from scratch

I don't think crytek is gonna settle either

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 16, 2017