Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When Irving said he used to be “like you” to the Chinese guy, I think he literally meant he used to be Chinese. But then he killed himself for WR and now he was reborn.

It’s about rebirth not time travel duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If it really is that this really powerful and incredibly intelligent person is actually mentally ill and created an international criminal organization so powerful that it owns China and the FBI (and now Congo), and killed literally thousands of people, just because of some dumb fantasy from his/her sick imagination, like Price said, I will really love it and say its loving genius

But I really really doubt that this is how is going to play out

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 16, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Didn't Irving say "I used to be you", not "I used to be like you"? Meaning he was once Whiterose's second in command/lover/both.

Nobody has mentioned yet how different Vera sounded at the end. I mean the Vera from season 1 wasn't the kind of guy who would say what he did to Darlene in that way. Maybe he was just super high but it seemed like he'd had somewhat of a personality change/upgrade.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

precision posted:

Didn't Irving say "I used to be you", not "I used to be like you"? Meaning he was once Whiterose's second in command/lover/both.

Nobody has mentioned yet how different Vera sounded at the end. I mean the Vera from season 1 wasn't the kind of guy who would say what he did to Darlene in that way. Maybe he was just super high but it seemed like he'd had somewhat of a personality change/upgrade.

I just got around to watching the finale and this is literally the first post I've read in this thread, but I was convinced Vera was actually Romero - young Romero. I didn't even recognize him as Vera. Dunno if anyone else is as dumb as me or has already mentioned it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

precision posted:

Pretty sure he was a constantly high philosopher in S1 too.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

precision posted:

He said a lot of the weird philosopher stuff after he got thrown in prison by eliot. About how they their destinies were intertwined and they were destined to meet again or something. He's probably back with another scheme that he wants to use eliots hacker skills for.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

nickmeister posted:

He said a lot of the weird philosopher stuff after he got thrown in prison by eliot. About how they their destinies were intertwined and they were destined to meet again or something. He's probably back with another scheme that he wants to use eliots hacker skills for.

I'm imaging some big fake out where all he wants is for Elliot to set up his wifi.

Not like super hacker wifi, a linksys box with "BRAVETRAVELS6969420" as the SSID.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I realized way late into the season that season 3 had started and let me just say:

The fifth episode has to be some sort of masterpiece in cinematography. I've never seen these kind of continuous/panning shots in TV before. I was actually moved how well it was shot, literally almost in tears. The episode in general is stellar and captures an incident like it perfectly. Probably my favourite tv series episode ever.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Dessel posted:

I realized way late into the season that season 3 had started and let me just say:

The fifth episode has to be some sort of masterpiece in cinematography. I've never seen these kind of continuous/panning shots in TV before. I was actually moved how well it was shot, literally almost in tears. The episode in general is stellar and captures an incident like it perfectly. Probably my favourite tv series episode ever.
Esmail did an interview with Sepinwall about the fifth episode. Sepinwall cites a bunch of TV shows that recently did it that you could check out, plus the unforgettable Triangle from the X-Files.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 17, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was watching season 2, there is a scene right before Elliot and Mr. Robot play chess where Elliot is fantasizing about a better life. Leon shakes hands with Trenton and Mobely :(

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
How can this show be this good? Also m83 has this power over me I can't explain.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Apparently Mozilla teamed up with Mr Robot to do a promotion where Firefox automatically and without user consent installed adware into your browser under the guise of a plugin called “looking glass” with the only description being “my reality is a little different than yours.” The only hint you’d see that this wasn’t malware was that one of the creators listed an email address ending with mozilla.org. What did this plugin do? It turned certain keywords related to the show upside down, including “gently caress,” “mr robot,” and “fsociety.”

People are upset for good reason cause this was a really tasteless joke.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

And like someone above said: this show is already sci-fi, its always been. We dont live in a world where a single corporation owns everything and there's a hacker mafia controlling China from behind the curtains.

Yep, ECorp is straight out of the OmniCorp/Cyberdyne/Weyland-Yutani mold. Seeing their board meetings makes it feel more lifelike. But it's still dystopian sci-fi.

Elliot's illness and hacking abilities are also more like superpowers than anything that exists in the real world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't think anyone is questioning that Whiterose either truly believes she can alter time, or that she's actively lying and tricking people into thinking she can altering time. But in either case it's unlikely that she really can alter time.

Exactly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elias_Maluco posted:

If it really is that this really powerful and incredibly intelligent person is actually mentally ill and created an international criminal organization so powerful that it owns China and the FBI (and now Congo), and killed literally thousands of people, just because of some dumb fantasy from his/her sick imagination, like Price said, I will really love it and say its loving genius

But I really really doubt that this is how is going to play out

I think that is where its going. Look at Tyrell; he was shown as this big powerful scary hacker foil to Elliot who had his poo poo together unlike Eliot and was even more willing to do whatever it takes. And he sacrificed everything for the plan and... his wife died before he could see her again.

The whole show is about reality and perception and delusion. And its definitely not just Elliot with his Mr. Robot delusion. Fsociety was delusional and perceived themselves as winning, when in reality they were obliterated and would have been way better of not bothering. Darlene was delusional as leader and about how she thought she could get away with trying to own the FBI. Tyrell was delusional about the plan with the dark army and everything working out with his wife. Angela was delusional about nobody getting hurt and the dark army getting everybody evacuated so it'd just be the servers that were destroyed, and then delusional about everybody being brought back by whiterose.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dessel posted:

Check out the movie Birdman starring Michael Keaton.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Check out the movie Birdman starring Michael Keaton.

Better yet, don't. Literally, watch anything other than Birdman.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

siggy2021 posted:

So all the time travel stuff was just Elliot reversing 5/9 and "going back in time." I love it.

Would you say that by reversing five nine he's bringing back the...

*shades lower*

Nine to Five?

:dukedog:

Laterite posted:

What was so wrong with Birdman?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Birdman is good, and actually has a bit in common with Mr Robot (Both have a warped reality due to the main characters psychosis, a very cinematic style and heavy refernces to other media) so watch both IMHO.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Laterite posted:

This is silly. He was saying he admired the cinematography of episode 5 and Birdman absolutely has wonderful, awe-inspiring cinematography.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Laterite posted:

Better yet, do, and then come back and tell us what you think since there won't be anything to chat about in this thread until 2019 assuming none of the main cast of Mr. Robot are sexual harassers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Volmarias posted:

What was so wrong with Birdman?

some goons really hate that movie for some reason.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

precision posted:

They probably all hate percussion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Laterite posted:

What the gently caress

When it comes to long takes the OG is The Untouchables. Then there's Children of Men. And yeah, Birdman is fantastic.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I mean if we're gonna talk about stuff that has oners, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4X2vDRfRk
And if you want those subtle oners like those shown in this video, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon seems to have a few. I always catch myself in the middle of one going "... oh poo poo, this is a long-take!"

This is also the required "everyone needs to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" post for this thread. (It's just all-around really fantastically well done.)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That part of the Criminal song Sam Esmail used at the end reveal starts in the song at 4:20

Just sayin.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I think that is where its going. Look at Tyrell; he was shown as this big powerful scary hacker foil to Elliot who had his poo poo together unlike Eliot and was even more willing to do whatever it takes. And he sacrificed everything for the plan and... his wife died before he could see her again.

The whole show is about reality and perception and delusion. And its definitely not just Elliot with his Mr. Robot delusion. Fsociety was delusional and perceived themselves as winning, when in reality they were obliterated and would have been way better of not bothering. Darlene was delusional as leader and about how she thought she could get away with trying to own the FBI. Tyrell was delusional about the plan with the dark army and everything working out with his wife. Angela was delusional about nobody getting hurt and the dark army getting everybody evacuated so it'd just be the servers that were destroyed, and then delusional about everybody being brought back by whiterose.

I wouldn't say it was delusional per se, but more as to how we mislead ourselves as a survival mechanism.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

precision posted:

Because it loving sucks

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

huge pile of hamburger posted:

Because it loving sucks

Yeah, it's not the technical aspects that I hated, it was the story, characters, and setting. gently caress Birdman.

DaveKap posted:

I mean if we're gonna talk about stuff that has oners, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4X2vDRfRk
And if you want those subtle oners like those shown in this video, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon seems to have a few. I always catch myself in the middle of one going "... oh poo poo, this is a long-take!"

This is also the required "everyone needs to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" post for this thread. (It's just all-around really fantastically well done.)

This I can get down with. I noticed a lot of well-thought-out camerawork in Mrs Maisel, and the show overall is cool and good.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 19, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its a dumb pretentious movie

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Long take talk.

People will point to Russian Ark as the originator and while it's impressive, it actually has two takes stitched together and the film is very static.

The real deal is Victoria, a frenetic, action packed 138 minutes one take stunner. It's an incredible movie, seek it out. It's mindbogglingly perfect in execution and the emotion it delivers while watching is unparalleled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Timecode is still the king of single take movies to me because it's actually four single-take movies all done at once, and in concert:

quote:

The movie was shot with four hand-held digital cameras, in one take, on the sixteenth performance. Largely improvised, Figgis provided the actors with blank, four-staff music manuscript paper, with each octave representing a camera view at that particular moment in time, up to the 93 minutes of camera capacity. The actors themselves personally kept track of the activities occurring in other camera points of view that were relative to their performance.

Rehearsals were single-take performances, filmed over fifteen days. Filmed in the mornings, with the actors fully involved, the footage was reviewed and discussed in the afternoons.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Does the movie have an actual plot though?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nickmeister posted:

Does the movie have an actual plot though?

Very much so. The plot intertwines viewpoints and intersects with them, it's astounding how well it's done.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqeIYgFqYGw

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
quote not edit

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I never thought watching television was a skill that some people could lack until I found TVIV. I will ban myself if season 4 or 5 features literal alternate dimensions and/or time travel. I can't think of anything more thematically distant to Mr Robot than actual time traveling illuminati, jesus christ.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Elliot presumably found out what the project in the Congo is when he got full DA access, correct?

So does he think it will work, or does he think it's bullshit but won't harm anything to let WR pursue it?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's a bitcoin miner, so

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I really hope it is a bitcoin miner, because that would make total sense and be completely hilarious.

I'm sure it'll be something altogether out of left field though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Martian Manfucker posted:

I never thought watching television was a skill that some people could lack until I found TVIV. I will ban myself if season 4 or 5 features literal alternate dimensions and/or time travel. I can't think of anything more thematically distant to Mr Robot than actual time traveling illuminati, jesus christ.

The show leans heavily on cyberpunk influences, and William Gibson's last novel is about an unknown possibly-Chinese entity that figured out how to use quantum computers to tap into, and influence, alternate past timelines. Neal Stephenson also has a novel in which monks use quantum physics to hop between realities, which they call "narratives".

• Locked thread