Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A
Also, tell me about the Djinni.

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
B

Had I known the boon came with a free vision I would have redoubled my whining effort to get the madness stone! Or maybe even switched votes to get the inferior timestones.

Water under the bridge, I guess, and sour grapes aside: That was cool. We have a weapon with opinions now.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Ask the Sejin
What was up with that missing pedestal?
Do all the pedestals represent something unique?
Can I learn to speak to Alnaar Alramh?
Who was the man made of smoke I saw at the forge? A Djinni?
Who was the woman wielding Alnaar?
What is the name of the creature made of pure fire and molten rock that she fought?
What is the story of that city made of glass spires?

Also, I just realized how bold it was for us to take something fire aspected even though we still have nightmares about getting burned. gently caress you fire we've got our own now.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
A No reason to believe a nefarious maybe-ifrit. Let’s spill the beans and trust our mentor.

Dang, after seeing the vision and abilities with the spear now I really wish we got those runestones (or the mystery stone).

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 16, 2017

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
B

Does the spearhead have a shaft? If not we should ask the Sejin to help us find a good stave to make a shaft for it and then we should do all the work to make it nice. Maybe put a bow on there, some ribbons....

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 16, 2017

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

B

Ask Sejin about the missing pedestal

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Ask Sejin if we can have a conversation where the djinn can't hear us

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

There Bias Two posted:

Also, tell me about the Djinni.

"Of course." the Sejin nods, as if its a natural question. "When I speak of the Djinni, I am actually referring to the Greater Djinni, there are also what are known as 'wild' or 'lesser' Djinni, and often time ancient stories will not make a distinction between the two, leaving it to the listener to figure out which they may be referring to. Lesser Djinni are wild spirits of the sands, magical, powerful and dangerous and it is the mark of a true Binder to be able to subjugate one. Greater Djinni are... something else entirely. They're ancient, truly ancient beings from The Realms Beyond. In the dawn of time, when men were still wild, and lived short and dangerous lives, the Djinni offered them magic and a chance to make their lives better, in exchange for serving as their conduit into our world. So were born the Magi and the Kings of old..." the Sejin pauses, "Or at least so say the stories, which are all we have to go off of. The Djinni offered my people the gift of magic, that much is known for sure, and forever immortalized in the Ritual of the Gifts which you just underwent, their motives, and their goals are always mysterious, but they are at least in part concerned with keeping a balance in the world, between spirits and mortals."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What was up with that missing pedestal?
"You should not have been able to see that." he looks a little... concerned maybe? "The influence of the Djinni is weakening on this world, usually that would be covered by a glamour, like the eight altar was. Those two missing altars are for the Mustahdir, the Scarred, a discipline of magic user that no longer exists."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Do all the pedestals represent something unique?

"Yes, there are two altars for each discipline. Two for kings, the altar of the healer and the altar of the summoner, the chalice and the hawk in this case, two for Magi, the runestones and the black stone, representing the scholar and the seer. Two for the Sejin, the traveler and the warrior, the snake pendant and the spear."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Can I learn to speak to Alnaar Alramh?
"Alnaar Alramh?" the Sejin asked, puzzled, you explain. "Ah, I don't know if it is capable of speech, but if it is, it probably speaks Ignian, which I believe you wanted to learn anyway?"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Who was the man made of smoke I saw at the forge? A Djinni?
You explain to the Sejin the vision you had upon grabbing the spear. "Usually, the Warrior's gift is a weapon forged around the legacy of a previous weapon, wielded by a hero of some kind. I'm afraid I don't know the details of this particular story Sundar, but from your description the man made of smoke was probably an Ogun, a race of spirits which hasn't been heard of in a long long time."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Who was the woman wielding Alnaar?
"I'm afraid I don't know Sundar. Perhaps her story has been lost to time, or perhaps I simply don't know it."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What is the name of the creature made of pure fire and molten rock that she fought?
"I don't think I've read about such a creature, but from the description, it is probably a fire spirit of some kind. Too intelligent and impure in form to be a fire elemental, much bigger than a Dahmut-fiend, too early historically for the Flame Animus to exist. Whatever it was it was probably unique."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What is the story of that city made of glass spires?
"I don't know, but I can speculate. All the cities of the sands that were raised by kings had glass spires, sung out of pure sand, they served as a way for kings and magi to channel magic. Without knowing more about the attackers, or the city, I can't really pinpoint where and when with any more precision. Sorry Sundar."

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Does the spearhead have a shaft? If not we should ask the Sejin to help us find a good stave to make a shaft for it and then we should do all the work to make it nice. Maybe put a bow on there, some ribbons....

It doesn't, but you get the feeling that if you will it to have one, it will? There will be a cost in magical energy, but not so much as to fully deplete your available magical energy.

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Ask Sejin if we can have a conversation where the djinn can't hear us
"I'm afraid that wherever there is magic, the Djinni can hear. That is part and parcel of their blessing. Don't worry though, they aren't meddlesome." he seems to think he knows why you are asking this. He adds, as an afterthought "And don't think that because they can hear, they are listening, or at all willing to help. The Djinni work in odd ways"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh crap. So we've kind of sold our soul to beings of an uncertain nature because the really nice guy who loves us told us we should, and it'll give us bitchin' powers.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Voting that we always refer to our spearhead as *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* and not the other name.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Can you tell me more about the Scarred? Why don't they exist anymore?

E: What was your boon?

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 16, 2017

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

Dr Subterfuge posted:

He just said that the Serpent Pendant and Spearhead are for the traveler and warrior, who are of the tradition of the Sejin.

I'm hoping you can guess what his pendant was.

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
Did I just choose a thing, or did I choose something more?
Am I a Seijin now too?
What did you choose?

Last one's kind of obvious, I guess, but hey, we're a literal child.

Jesus is colourblin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 16, 2017

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Aabcehmu posted:

He just said that the Serpent Pendant and Spearhead are for the traveler and warrior, who are of the tradition of the Sejin.

I'm hoping you can guess what his pendant was.

Calm down. That's what I assumed, but if we have the opportunity to know, it doesn't hurt to ask.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
b interesting coincidence, maybe, but we are literally scarred

The first thing we should make isn't a shaft but a cover for the spear head, to keep from accidentally cutting ourselves and to hide it from normals. Prob should make it from something we actually defeat but even if not we should do that before we hit the next town

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B

Question: What can I do to increase my magical potential? Alnaar Alramh (my spear) will kill me if I lack the power to use it.

Question: Do you know of what my spearhead is capable of? What can your snake pendant do, if that's the Djinni blessing you chose?

Question: Who was the one that guided you through your own Rite of Shaeira?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What would I have been able to do if I have taken the Hawk or the Bag of Stones? Those were the two other items that interested me the most.

Why do I feel like I have a 3rd eye and 3rd arm now? It is... not unpleasant, master?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Why is it that you can tell me about the ritual but I can't tell others? I'm not going to! I'm just curious.
Why didn't you tell me what the different things did?
Why do they represent kings, sejin and magi? Are those things important?
Are Mustahdir not important? Is that why they're gone? Is it like the kings, sejin and magi?

Is the spearhead similar to the little obelisk or the pendant?

Patrick Spens posted:

Voting that we always refer to our spearhead as *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* and not the other name.
:yeah:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

"I can, and if you want, I will, but its a long story. The short of it is there was a time when the magi, the Scarred the Sejin and the kings lived in harmony, although the kings were not known as kings back then. This was before the land where I'm from was even a desert. The Djinni walked among men in their corporeal form, and the empire prospered. But the Scarred, which were those tasked with dealing with mortal threats were tired of their role, and conspired with the Magi, there was a great and terrible war, and in the end, the Magi swore never to hold direct power again, and the Scarred were destroyed, the Djinni they sided with vanquished from this world. Every record of the Scarred's powers, and of the things they had accomplished was deliberately destroyed, even the true name of their order wiped from the record." The Sejin seems a little sad at this story.

(Boon question answered below)

Chatrapati posted:

Why is it that you can tell me about the ritual but I can't tell others? I'm not going to! I'm just curious.
"Anyone who has completed the rituals can share the details with each other. To one about to perform the ritual, you may let them know the name of the ritual, and little else. The words of comfort I offered were as vague as they were, because they had to be."

Chatrapati posted:

Why didn't you tell me what the different things did?
"Because I could not speak to you about the ritual beyond revealing its existence. There is a... power in choice, and had I guided your hand it would have robbed it of that power."

Chatrapati posted:

Why do they represent kings, sejin and magi? Are those things important?
"They are. They are the tethers of the Djinni to the world. They form the bridge between the spirits and mortals, they keep the peace that keeps man and spirit from destroying each other. In a way, they are in charge of making sure the world doesn't destroy itself."

Chatrapati posted:

Are Mustahdir not important? Is that why they're gone? Is it like the kings, sejin and magi?
"They were important, but they cast aside their duty, and threatened to destroy everything they had worked so hard to build."

Chatrapati posted:

Is the spearhead similar to the little obelisk or the pendant?
"No. It is in a category of its own. It is more similar to the Obelisk than the pendant. The pendant is something I made as a gift for a friend a long time ago, but when they no longer needed it, I took it back."

Jesus is colourblin posted:

Did I just choose a thing, or did I choose something more?
"Just a thing. It hints at the paths you might follow, but it does not bind you. There have been kings who chose the Warrior's boon, and magi with the traveler's boon. Don't read too much into it, the path you will walk, you will get to choose"

Am I a Seijin now too?
"Not quite" he seems amused by this question "you have many many years of training ahead of you. When you complete them, we will talk about what happens next"

What did you choose?

"I picked the traveler's boon, although for me it wasn't a snake pendant." he rummages around in the bag, and produces a plain metal box, with a lock on it. He speaks to the lock, and it opens, inside the box there is...

A dagger, with a hilt like a coiled snake. You can see a strange black smoke clinging to it, almost transparent. "The boons are different at each trial, although there is always one of each healer, summoner, warrior, traveler, scholar and seer. The traveler's boon always features a snake, as snakes are the symbol of travelers. The warrior's is almost always a weapon."

Prince of Space posted:

Question: What can I do to increase my magical potential? Alnaar Alramh (my spear) will kill me if I lack the power to use it.
"The same way you increase your stamina, or get better at anything, practice. We'll begin practicing tomorrow. For now don't try doing anything you think would exhaust your magical reserves. Magic is dangerous, and it will kill you without a shade of hesitation." the last bit is delivered in a bit of a somber tone.

Prince of Space posted:

Question: Do you know of what my spearhead is capable of? What can your snake pendant do, if that's the Djinni blessing you chose?

"I don't. It is your spear, you should know from just touching it. I know that it can probably summon flames, shield you and change its forms, beyond that you'll have to discover for yourself. As to my gift, the dagger of passage, it allows me to move freely where I should not be able to, it lets me shift my position without moving, and it can..." he hesitates for a second, "it can open a shortcut from any place to any other place, although it is a dangerous path. A few other miscellaneous things." he smiles "I'm not even sure I've unlocked its full potential."

Prince of Space posted:

Question: Who was the one that guided you through your own Rite of Shaeira?
"My teacher, Sejin Faizullah, perhaps the most brilliant binder I have ever known." he gets a faraway look in his eyes for an instant.

Slaan posted:

What would I have been able to do if I have taken the Hawk or the Bag of Stones?
"I don't know for sure, the bag of stones probably gave a variety of spell enhancements and tools for finding lost knowledge. The Hawk would have probably allowed you to animate it, grown into different forms, and in time helped you bind spirits. This is speculation, based on other boons I have seen. I don't know for sure."

Slaan posted:

Why do I feel like I have a 3rd eye and 3rd arm now?

You don't. I was trying to describe the feeling of finding a part of yourself you didn't know existed, in this case your pool of mana.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 17, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dig that "travelling without moving" dagger. Also really been enjoying this thread but I've been sicker than a dog this past week.

"Can you tell me about your teacher, or will it make you sad? If it does, I'm sorry Sejin"

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

"Can you tell me about your teacher, or will it make you sad? If it does, I'm sorry Sejin"

"I can tell you about him. When I met him he was very old, his beard was white, and he was very very grumpy, although he tried to hide it, I know he enjoyed teaching more than anything else in life, and although I was his only apprentice, he often taught others of the many things he knew. He put up with me, and all the many questions I asked him. His passion was binding. Especially binding spirits of the deep earth, and he taught me everything I know about binding and summoning. The little obelisk was a gift from him, when I finished my training, before I left to travel the world. I think he was a little disappointed that I was a much poorer binder than he was.

He was a strange man, but we had many good times together, and I remember him fondly. Without him, I would have certainly not become a Sejin, and I'd be dead many times over." he smiles. "Hopefully one day you'll tell your students the same thing about me"

Hexenritter posted:

Also really been enjoying this thread but I've been sicker than a dog this past week.

Feel better!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

TheCog posted:

"I can tell you about him. When I met him he was very old, his beard was white, and he was very very grumpy, although he tried to hide it, I know he enjoyed teaching more than anything else in life, and although I was his only apprentice, he often taught others of the many things he knew. He put up with me, and all the many questions I asked him. His passion was binding. Especially binding spirits of the deep earth, and he taught me everything I know about binding and summoning. The little obelisk was a gift from him, when I finished my training, before I left to travel the world. I think he was a little disappointed that I was a much poorer binder than he was.

He was a strange man, but we had many good times together, and I remember him fondly. Without him, I would have certainly not become a Sejin, and I'd be dead many times over." he smiles. "Hopefully one day you'll tell your students the same thing about me"

Give him a big beaming smile and ask him if he can show us something his teacher taught him when he was our age, then tell him we promise to tell many tales about him when we're older.

quote:

Feel better!

Thanks man, this intestinal flu has been no joke. I've never felt this nauseous in my life. Plus it happened at the exact same time my girlfriend got a vicious dose of strep. I'm chugging Imodium like it's going out of fashion but the nausea has died down.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Can I make shaft of the magic channeling glass for my spear?

If we can't have awesome rune stones let's at least make a spear capable of writing our name on the moon.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

We should definitely polish Spear-kun regularly just to establish that connection, and maybe oil it now and then.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hexenritter posted:

We should definitely polish Spear-kun regularly just to establish that connection, and maybe oil it now and then.

I dunno, I get the feeling our spear is a chan rather than a kun. Either way, I agree. I want to go all in on being pals with *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I dunno, I get the feeling our spear is a chan rather than a kun. Either way, I agree. I want to go all in on being pals with *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*.

We should also tie a ribbon on *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*-chan, have moonlight dinners with *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*-chan, and hug *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*-chan when we sleep.

Oh, and also regularly bathe *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*-chan in the blood of our enemies. But make sure to clean *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*-chan nice and properly after that.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

to the sejin:

Can i try doing a small transformation of the spear now? Just... give it a small shaft, something that won't kill me.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Sejin, would *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* be offended if I gave *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* a nickname?"

"How do I tell whether *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* is a boy-spear or a girl-spear?"

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Not Alex posted:

Can I make shaft of the magic channeling glass for my spear?

"Yes, but you're going to have to wait until we can get our hands on some channeling glass, or until you discover how to sing it out of sand." he says, with a small smile, you can't tell if he's fully serious about that last bit.

Magnusth posted:

Can i try doing a small transformation of the spear now? Just... give it a small shaft, something that won't kill me.
"If you wait a couple days, you'll have a better grasp on what your pool of magic feels like, and how to modulate its flow, but if you want to make one quick transformation, I won't stop you."

Minivote: Transform the spear?
1.) No
2.) Into a small pendant
3.) Into a knife
4.) Give it a perfectly ordinary shaft
5.) Write in.

JosephWongKS posted:

"Sejin, would *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* be offended if I gave *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* a nickname?"
The Sejin shrugs "I don't think so? It probably has the mindset you'd expect of a spear, more concerned with slaying its enemies than what you call it"

JosephWongKS posted:

"How do I tell whether *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* is a boy-spear or a girl-spear?"
"Get to know your spear better. Although being a spear it probably doesn't have the same concept of gender we do."

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

So he got a Subtle Knife. Swanky.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I vote we name our spear Stabitha Kingsford. Because it starts fires and stabs dudes real good.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Minivote 2

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MINIVOTE 1

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Minivote 3

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Blasphemaster posted:

I vote we name our spear Stabitha Kingsford. Because it starts fires and stabs dudes real good.

I like you. +1

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Blasphemaster posted:

But neither :unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning: nor we are a king :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Charcoal, son.