Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I'm enjoying Xenoblade a lot but I feel like if they weren't able to get the game running better than 720p docked they should have taken a step back early in development and rethought some stuff. It's not even a smooth 720p.

That doesn't bother me nearly as much as 2ch stereo-only sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mancalamania posted:

I don't know if XBC2 is bad, but I'll tell you a game that IS bad, my friends: Yooka-Laylee.

The reviews that complain that it's too much like Banjo-Tooie / DK64 are completely wrong-- those games were actually good. Maybe Yooka-Laylee gets betters after the first world, but this first world is big sprawling sparse barren wasteland. There are barely any enemies or, for that matter, anything interactive between the little isolated pitstops where each "challenge" is.

Also the entire game feels very unpolished. There are at least two (2!) boring racing games in the first world, and neither of them even have a sound effect or visual cue or anything when you pass through the finish line or checkpoints that you need to pass through. The whole thing feels so soulless and empty. :(

you should replay dk64 sometime and understand that those reviews were completely correct

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

you should replay dk64 sometime and understand that those reviews were completely correct

I actually played DK64 for the first time like two years ago, and it's fine. "Good" might be going too far, but the levels have a lot more life in them than this first Yooka-Laylee world. And at least the mini-games had sound effects so they actually felt like interactive games instead of busywork.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Who would have thought that a Kickstarter project banking on 2000s nostalgia would end up being soulless and empty???

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

The developer in Japan thinks the mobile versions of FF5 and FF6 are an improvement over the original SNES spites. They just have really weird (and bad) tastes.

I think that they're evaluating the battle sprites. The enemy illustrations really are improvements. It's the map graphics that are ugly. I wonder if there's a language barrier thing here.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

KingSlime posted:

Who would have thought that a Kickstarter project banking on 2000s nostalgia would end up being soulless and empty???

A Hat in Time turned out pretty good, was going for the same thing, and did it with an 8th of the Kickstarter funding

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

Tragically, not the developers. They heavily patched the game after release to try and fix some of the issues they could, but you can't patch out what is wrong with Yooka-Laylee. If they had taken another year, maybe they could have fine tuned the worlds and focused the experience, but I think, ultimately, the people who once perfected and defined an entire genre had forgotten how they did it. The magic was lost.

Then Super Mario Odyssey taught the world how to do it all over again.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mancalamania posted:

The reviews that complain that it's too much like Banjo-Tooie / DK64 are completely wrong-- those games were actually good.

Banjo Tooie is okay; it as some excessive ideas that should've been toned down, but it had a lot of fun creativity among the rough parts. DK64 is just baaaaaaaaaaaaad

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh hey Sexy Brutale seems like a cool game but the Switch port runs really poorly for a graphically simple isometric adventure game. I also had a freeze while trying to save and ended up losing some progress & at that point I was over it. I contacted Nintendo and they gave me a refund though which was cool! I know they say "no refunds ever" but I just asked nicely and they did with no issue

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Spellman posted:

A Hat in Time turned out pretty good, was going for the same thing, and did it with an 8th of the Kickstarter funding

This^^
With Hatful existing, forget about yooka.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah I was mostly joking that the 2000s were overall soulless and empty as poo poo but now I might have to try a hat in time

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
XC2 has some serious quality of life issues missing, mainly the map, but there's a little too much time spent in menus. After you get all of the playable main characters I would love to have the ability to make swapable permanent blade groups so everytime I go salvaging for example I just load up my salvaging blade team instead of hunting for every single blade.

Also they are way too loving stingy with blade unlocks. People are claiming the more you unlock the rarer the later ones become. I've got one new blade out of my last 200 common, 70 rare and 10 legendary cores.

My other complaint, is the quest rewards don't seem to match some of the depth and length some of these quests expand.

Game is fun, but far from perfect. There's a lot going on here that could easily turn people away.

CRAYON posted:

Where are you getting hung up? Is holding L1 + R1 + Start causing the top LED to turn on? Once you get that to happen it should be as easy as plugging it in and running the exe (windows) or app (mac).

Turns out I'm an idiot and just didn't plug the usb cable in all the way. It kind of stops 4/5ths the way through and was charging so...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing Xenoblade 2 and I can't help but notice that the sound is all kinds of hosed up. There's been more than a few cutscenes that don't have any sound effects at all, just voices, so it's jarring to see a bunch of people run around in complete silence until somebody speaks. Along with that the voice direction is really screwed up, there's been a couple of points late chapter 3 that don't sound like they actually understood what was going on when given their lines, so the delivery is completely tone deaf to the scene, ie characters locked in a battle to the death shouldn't talk as casually as they do.

That and they don't have nearly as many unique animations for cutscenes as you'd expect, so like, there's this one henchman in chapter 2 who has only a couple of animations and just repeats them for all his scenes and it's really stupid looking, but they don't give him any other gestures so that's all he does for his scenes, of which he has too many of anyway.

Also I still cannot get over how stupid looking the two main characters look. It's almost impressive, really, at 20 hours in I'm still in awe of how bad their designs are, particularly since nearly everyone else look better.

But other than that the game itself is fun. At this point in X I still had no idea what I was doing, but in 2 I'm popping off blade combos and chain attacks at will, it's great. I feel like there's still some depth I haven't tapped into, but I'm getting better at it all the time. Though the fact that you can change your setup at will means there's no reason to play as the other characters... one of my favourite things about XB1. Oh well.

The environments really are spectacular. I do wish there were more sidequests, XB1 did a great job with getting you to explore nearly the whole map with it's sidequests, but XB2 feels like there are still huge chunks I haven't found because I haven't had any reason to go there. The fact that ever map is autofilled in when you find each area also makes it less vital to explore. Oh and the way they have the map menu split into submenus and don't automatically go to the map you're currently on is a really dumb. They even have a quick select button for the map that still makes you go through the menu.

Music leaves me with nothing to complain about... during gameplay. Cutscenes are another matter, as the sound mixing is just awful. More than a few times characters have been drowned out by the music playing too loud during cutscenes, oh but sometimes songs don't loop so enjoy the last couple of minutes being in silence!

... man, the more I think about it, the more it seems like Xenoblade 1 was a "lightening in a bottle" kinda game, as nearly everything that XB2 does was done better in XB1, which was also the case with XBX. I don't think XB2 is a bad game, but it's lacking the same level of polish the first had that made it special.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Blade system would have been far, far better if they just had 40 unique blades, no generic blades, and all of those unique blade cores would be unique loot drops, from hidden chests or as sidequest rewards. You could even have the blade you get be random, but you'd always get a unique blade. The generic blades are a glaring incongruity in both the games setting (since I've easily discarded a small army's worth in a world where Blades are considered people) and from a gameplay perspective, because the rest of the game's design seems to reward your exploration with unique rewards and the cores/new blades are the best and biggest reward you could get.

It's so close to perfection, though. In terms of XB1, XB2 has a much better sidequest system, with each quest being a lot more involved than the thousands of kind of identical quests throughout XB1. I also think the map design is just as good if not better, with so many small nooks and crannies that reward exploration intuitively. I remember XB1 being very large, yeah, but the size sort of felt detrimental to exploration after awhile -- I feel like I am actively rewarded for getting lost in the environment.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xb2s combat is so much better than 1 tho

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I really enjoyed XC2 and felt like it was more than the sum of its parts, though I know I'm a sucker for good environment design and music and those (plus the combat system) are where I think most people can agree it fires on all cylinders.

A lot of the weird flaws with the game are things that could have been ironed out with a bit more dev time, I do wonder how much they rushed it to get it into the first year release schedule and/or how much it was impacted by Monolithsoft working on Zelda.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I'm thinking about getting a switch for my other half, she really loves The Sims type games, is there anything like this for the switch?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Knifegrab posted:

So I'm thinking about getting a switch for my other half, she really loves The Sims type games, is there anything like this for the switch?

Not quite, but she might be into Stardew Valley

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

goferchan posted:

Oh hey Sexy Brutale seems like a cool game but the Switch port runs really poorly for a graphically simple isometric adventure game. I also had a freeze while trying to save and ended up losing some progress & at that point I was over it. I contacted Nintendo and they gave me a refund though which was cool! I know they say "no refunds ever" but I just asked nicely and they did with no issue

If you actually contact Nintendo for stuff they give a ton of leeway that’s typically a hard no for other companies and is stated being a no otherwise by Nintendo themselves. There’s been plenty of times where I e had hardware go dead well outside of warrenty and they’ve fixed it for free with me paying shipping. As for Sexy Brutale it’s made in Unity which is garbage on pretty much any console and only works well 30% of the time on high end PCs. I don’t know why people continue to use it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you actually contact Nintendo for stuff they give a ton of leeway that’s typically a hard no for other companies and is stated being a no otherwise by Nintendo themselves. There’s been plenty of times where I e had hardware go dead well outside of warrenty and they’ve fixed it for free with me paying shipping. As for Sexy Brutale it’s made in Unity which is garbage on pretty much any console and only works well 30% of the time on high end PCs. I don’t know why people continue to use it

There is nothing wrong with Unity as an engine

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah, XB2 has a more interesting combat system that's already more involved than XB1 and more importantly has lots of room for customization so things don't get old halfway through. The sidequests are also much better than XB1, I'm doing them because I want to do them, not to check off boxes.

Hard agree on the blade gacha thing being terrible. It's insane for a single player game with no micro transactions to have this. I've opened like 40 common cores and 5 rares and gotten 1 rare blade on Nia, a dumb bird tank that doesn't fit her build at all. The common Blades are so generic and limited that it feels like a waste to even bother using them.

The map itself is fine but the menu is bad, and they're already patching that so that's good.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

Xb2s combat is so much better than 1 tho

Oh hell yes this is true. I found it a struggle to get through the first big boss fight (against Cockney Guy) in XB1, even understanding how it all worked, it was finicky and kinda uncomfortable and didn't feel very satisfying. XB2's combat feels like a combination of all the previous Xeno battle systems into one gigantic fuckpile of a battle system.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr. VooDoo posted:

As for Sexy Brutale it’s made in Unity which is garbage on pretty much any console and only works well 30% of the time on high end PCs. I don’t know why people continue to use it

Yo this is straight-up false

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
i don't know which dr to believe!!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Unity attracts a lot of bad devs because its cheap to license. It also historically was bad on console because it lacked good multithreading support for the 8 core processors in ps4/xb1 but i think thats been fixed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A lot of stuff is made in Unity without anyone knowing (Hearthstone was made in Unity for example), but as soon as people know a game's made in Unity it's always the engine's fault when a port is bad.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its a bad workman who blames his tools

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's almost like the engine itself doesn't make a game bad... 🤔

Like, I get that engines have bugs, but it seems real dumb to write a game off because of the middleware choices the developers made.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Without getting bogged down in engine discussion, by all accounts the sexy brutale port is bad which is a bummer because I was looking forward to it.

Who knows what will happen. Rayman was a pretty mediocre port that got its major issues patched up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you think the developers hosed up by choosing to use Unity, which is widely-used enough to have robust technical support and a huge library of plugins, assets, and documentation, what other alternative would you suggest, because they probably wouldn't do any better by coding an engine from scratch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Use the Mario 64 engine

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

People hate the Gamebryo/Creation engine because thry think that only Bethesda uses it and their games are janky as gently caress.

Nope, turns out that the engine is fine but Bethesda is chock-full of moronic developers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you think the developers hosed up by choosing to use Unity, which is widely-used enough to have robust technical support and a huge library of plugins, assets, and documentation, what other alternative would you suggest, because they probably wouldn't do any better by coding an engine from scratch

Didn't Epic or whoever drastically lower their fees for Unreal 4 due to the competition presented by Unity?

And I guess there's Amazon's Lumberyard. I hear Star Citizen is using it! :newlol:

There's also Microsoft's XNA or whatever it is now, but that's pretty much Windows and Bone only as far as I know.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 16, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t care about game engines that much but I hate it’s obvious that a game was made in a certain engine. That got really bad in the 360 era when every game was obviously Unreal 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

UE4

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Dk64 is worse than yooka laylee. YL is a sub banjo-kazooie platformer but Dk 64 is like 5 of those badly layered on top of each other.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mister Facetious posted:

Didn't Epic or whoever drastically lower their fees for Unreal 4 due to the competition presented by Unity?

And I guess there's Amazon's Lumberyard. I hear Star Citizen is using it! :newlol:

There's also Microsoft's XNA or whatever it is now, but that's pretty much Windows and Bone only as far as I know.

Yep UE4 and Unity are pretty close in price, and both have free versions that are used by a lot of people learning to make games. Lumberyard is basically a custom version of CryEngine, and CryTek are suing the Star Citizen devs for switching to it because they were supposed to be ambassadors for base CryEngine or something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xenoblade has a cool thing happen at the end of chapter 3 that made me think ok I guess I’ll see where this goes

I still cannot get over how stupid some of the characters and designs get and this is as a big jrpg fan

Like I remember people complaining about how persona 5 could treat female characters and then this loving thing lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 came out in the ‘90s, a good decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is asinine. Resident Evil revelations 1 defaults to a perfectly fine, sensible control scheme where I use the triggers to shoot. But, for some unknown reason Revs 2 doesn't even have the options to use the triggers?! I can't use these bumpers to aim and shoot it kills my wrists. Is there some option I'm missing? This makes no sense at all.

• Locked thread