Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There definitley later chips and accesories that amp his damage output.

Starting whenever you can go to Mor Ardain you want to at minimum salvage enough to get salvager rank B as the accesory that gives is one of the best in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Wow, this random scene near the end is loving stupid. Why should Rex give a poo poo about what Nia's saying? Like, this is beyond dumb.

I really don't enjoy the ludonarrative dissonance of Rex being like "I'm SORRY" and me being like "this is loving stupid".

e: okay the big reveal with half of my body is inside a portal made me laugh though

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 16, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Barudak posted:

Starting whenever you can go to Mor Ardain you want to at minimum salvage enough to get salvager rank B as the accesory that gives is one of the best in the game.

How much scavenging do you actually need to do for that? I'm at E and feel like I've done loving loads.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wow, this random scene near the end is loving stupid. Why should Rex give a poo poo about what Nia's saying? Like, this is beyond dumb.

I really don't enjoy the ludonarrative dissonance of Rex being like "I'm SORRY" and me being like "this is loving stupid".

This isn't ludonarrative dissonance. At all.

:psyduck:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

This isn't ludonarrative dissonance. At all.

:psyduck:
man I just like typing that phrase cut me some slack

it's really just the player and the player character having misaligned incentives and different reactions to things but I don't know a word for that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

man I just like typing that phrase cut me some slack

it's really just the player and the player character having misaligned incentives and different reactions to things but I don't know a word for that

The story feels like it's been written by aliens and the way the characters react to about half of it is a lot like when Tommy Wiseau laughs at the terrible story in "The Room".
But most anime is like that, what can you do.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is anyone else bothered you can't see a list of quests you've completed?

You can, it's one of the sort options

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

The story feels like it's been written by aliens and the way the characters react to about half of it is a lot like when Tommy Wiseau laughs at the terrible story in "The Room".
But most anime is like that, what can you do.

The problem with that scene is Nia's complaints are pretty sound compared to the generic "YOU KILLED US ALL, YOU FUCKER! :toughguy:" ramblings of the other party members, and her little vignette is the first one Rex is tossed into. It's not even over-the-top "I WANT YOUR BABIES AND TO BE WITH YOU FOREVERANDEVER" crazy rambling, it's just wanting him to get it in his thick goddamn skull that she has feelings for him and to address them either way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with that scene is Nia's complaints are pretty sound compared to the generic "YOU KILLED US ALL, YOU FUCKER! :toughguy:" ramblings of the other party members, and her little vignette is the first one Rex is tossed into. It's not even over-the-top "I WANT YOUR BABIES AND TO BE WITH YOU FOREVERANDEVER" crazy rambling, it's just wanting him to get it in his thick goddamn skull that she has feelings for him and to address them either way.
well it could be worse it could be the Malos bit afterwards, this is even goddamn dumber my god did the writers die before they could finish the game

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I think I remember reading that one dude did the writing for the odd chapters, and one dude did the writing for the even ones, but that also sounds like a terrible way to write a story, so I don't really know.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MechaX posted:

So I'm in the middle of Chapter 3, and... uh, are the battles supposed to be taking a long time?

Even when trying to do Blade Combos, even random battles are taking a really long time and Rex does like poo poo damage.

Upgrade your arts, upgrade your weapons with chips, sleep at an inn to level with your quest xp. Figure out some element combos your team can do and work toward that every fight.

The game should really start you off with every art being charged at the start of battle instead of making that an expensive set of perks, that's how the previous games were and I have no idea why they decided to change it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Morag x Zeke OTP

somehow they work way better than Rex x Nia even though it's the same dynamic of a clown dude and a Very Serious Lady

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taear posted:

How much scavenging do you actually need to do for that? I'm at E and feel like I've done loving loads.

Getting Mor Ardain and Gormott to 5 was enough I think. Ita surprisngly little for how much the game expects you to do

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

MechaX posted:

So I'm in the middle of Chapter 3, and... uh, are the battles supposed to be taking a long time?

Even when trying to do Blade Combos, even random battles are taking a really long time and Rex does like poo poo damage.

The pouch items that recharge arts (all sweets, and a few high-end things from the other groups) go a long, long way toward making combat more dynamic. Soon you'll also be able to equip more blades, so you’ll have more opportunities for elemental combos as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
One tip to speed up charging the arts is stutter stepping. Rex in particular, just nudge the stick a bit after his first slash and you'll get like 6-7 attacks in at the speed of one full 1-2-3 auto attack chain.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So what's the best way to get cores post game? The port doesn't work anymore and grinding uniques feels way slower and there's not even a garuntee and it's kinda laaame.

Also can anyone in this game use great axes worth a drat? I unlocked Zenobia and have been goin through her tree just for fun and god that first swing is so slow it makes me want to cry

They have a fun skill on Rex that, once leveled, recharges on crit. It's two hits, and since you can usually get >50% crit on attack blades you can often just chain it with itself until you've charged as much special as you want. Good damage too.

Aside from that, they're an attacker weapon with the launch status so you'll use them for that :shrug:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So did the final boss fight have a gimmick? I just kind of... attacked it to death. All I had to do was kill two adds when it summoned them and moved out of range.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ludonarrative dissonance is like when in Chapter 3, the party is shipwrecked in Uraya but really you can just fast travel back to Gormitt and Argentium no problem.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh my god even the ending is making GBS threads on Nia

Final chapter: and thus, boy met girl.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So did the final boss fight have a gimmick? I just kind of... attacked it to death. All I had to do was kill two adds when it summoned them and moved out of range.

Not really, I guess it also occasionally did an attack that could one-shot Rex. I let the fight go on longer than I had to so I could get all 8 orbs up, so I had to fight the adds several times.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finished chapter 7 and I was not expecting to see Malos, of all people, using the/a Monado as their weapon. Also whomever decided to have normal enemies spawn inside part of a boss battle area is an rear end in a top hat. If you go in to the crater that Malos makes, there's a couple enemies down there and they will aggro you and Malos's Monado buffs affect them too so you're basically hosed if you aren't obscenely powerful.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also can anyone in this game use great axes worth a drat? I unlocked Zenobia and have been goin through her tree just for fun and god that first swing is so slow it makes me want to cry

Slow auto attack speed is literally Zenobia's only downside. She hits so absurdly hard against boss/unique/high level enemies that it's insane. If you're fighting a group of enemies and fire off a Final Disaster to cap a chain and the enemy is toppled/launched you're either going to kill everything or Rex is going to die because it hits so hard it's guaranteed to rip aggro off of the tanks. Even in the low 40s I was hitting for 10-30k damage with some of her abilities. I'm 51 now but even in chapter 7 if an enemy got toppled her +toppple dmg ability could crit for well over 50k easily and then you follow it up with her launch and (ideally) a Final Disaster fueled by her level 4 special. :black101:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

Getting Mor Ardain and Gormott to 5 was enough I think. Ita surprisngly little for how much the game expects you to do

Me and you have really different definitions of "little".

And hey Dack Fayden, tag your spoilers thanks.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I basically ignored driver combos completely until chapter 8. They’re... pretty good.

But I don’t fully understand how to trigger the fusion combos(?) where it says like “TOPPLE VOLCANO” because an art and a driver combo happened at the same time.

Do you need to inflict the topple status before using the art? After? At the same time? Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t and I’m not sure why.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Fusions happen when a driver combo is active when you do parts of an elemental combo. The further along the driver combo is the bigger the multiplier.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So it seems like if I use (chapter 6-7 spoiler) the story heal blade on Rex, Nia doesn't get any XP at all and her blades get nothing either, even though people outside of the party normally get some xp/sp/wp/etc? If so that pretty much ruins using them because they'd just keep falling behind and it'd also mean not using Rex's bullshit protagonist powers as a damage machine.

I really want to get the next Poppi form too so I can try and figure out a long term setup for him and spend an hour or so playing Tiger Tiger to get Poppi setup better. She needs to be able to generate more aggro though to keep ahead of Rex + Zenobia.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the party members you don't use actually get more bonus xp. one I finally leveled up nia at the inn she was 4 levels ahead of everyone.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Chapter 7 should I rush things until I get Pyra/Mythra back or can I do sidequests and poo poo

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This loving sequence in the final chapter where they force you to fight your party is loving inane. I made the terrible, UNFORGIVABLE loving mistake of making Rex a DPS guy, so now I'm just getting housed by Morag because she has a mountain of health and I can't burst her down before she owns the poo poo out of me. Oh, wait, I'll just swap out some blad-----NOPE sorry you stripped all of my party members and my access to the blades I've actually been building up over the course of the game so I'm COMPLETELY hosed.

They do this poo poo like 5 different times over the course of the game and it is absolutely the worst poo poo. What loving designer thought that this was good?

edit: this is so bad that I'm considering just giving up on the game and watching the ending on Youtube. Wow.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 16, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Try traveling to an inn and using some of Rex's bonus XP to give him a level advantage?

I agree, it sucks.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Spoiler all of your dumb poo poo.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Ontos, Logos and Pneuma already existed before the experiment was even done. They were computers that looked like fancy rocks. When the world exploded Our Good Klaus turned the 2 remaining computers in our universe into blades and then made all the other blades to try and fix things. The Bad Klaus didn't have to do this so Ontos was just made into a dude.

end game spoilers

Yeah, that makes sense. Although, we're let to believe that the XB1 and XB2 worlds merge at the end of the game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

This loving sequence in the final chapter where they force you to fight your party

i was able to do this bit with a not very well leveled Roc just by chain canceling all three arts into a special 2 times. i might have had some defensive accessories on too, i forget. i failed it a bunch of times with wulfric first though before i realized i needed a faster charging weapon.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ntan1 posted:

Spoiler all of your dumb poo poo.

end game spoilers

Yeah, that makes sense. Although, we're let to believe that the XB1 and XB2 worlds merge at the end of the game.

I have no clue how you got that out of the ending

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

VanillaGorilla posted:

This loving sequence in the final chapter where they force you to fight your party is loving inane. I made the terrible, UNFORGIVABLE loving mistake of making Rex a DPS guy, so now I'm just getting housed by Morag because she has a mountain of health and I can't burst her down before she owns the poo poo out of me. Oh, wait, I'll just swap out some blad-----NOPE sorry you stripped all of my party members and my access to the blades I've actually been building up over the course of the game so I'm COMPLETELY hosed.

They do this poo poo like 5 different times over the course of the game and it is absolutely the worst poo poo. What loving designer thought that this was good?

edit: this is so bad that I'm considering just giving up on the game and watching the ending on Youtube. Wow.

Wait, are you cut off from any and all blades? Because you know, you can outlive any encounter with Healing blades, even weak common ones. That part was insanely easy to me since I already had a good one equipped. Just change your accessories to boost your HP, and aux cores on your blade to give you more physical defense.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Chairman posted:

You can, it's one of the sort options

Oh, you're right. It wasn't super obvious.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm doing the "Ripe New Frontier" quest in Tempentia. I've collected all but one of the brooches, but the one I need is underneath a giant level 62 dude. I've tried night and day and he spawns during both. Any idea how I can potentially suicide grab that item?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know what, I kinda sympathized with the enemies here.

Late game/ending spoilers The whole blade thing is kinda hosed up and I was sorta expecting they were gathering all the core crystals to make a society of only blades after exterminating humanity, by binding all of the crystals to the frozen lady that would be the eternal last driver. Turns out that no, they only wanted to destroy everything and kill everyone because of sadbrains.

After I discovered that Tetsuya Nomura designed all of the villains, all of it made sense to me. They were giving ridiculous amounts of exposure to all these lovely, one-dimensional chars with a very weak motive, because they got Nomura's star power here. I kinda feel like Nomura's participation accidentally ruined the plot. I was expecting the REAL ENEMY to be revealed and they change sides so you could recruit them as blades, but not even that. Apparently the torna blades will be equipable on the DLC so maybe that's what will happen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I'm doing the "Ripe New Frontier" quest in Tempentia. I've collected all but one of the brooches, but the one I need is underneath a giant level 62 dude. I've tried night and day and he spawns during both. Any idea how I can potentially suicide grab that item?

I had no problems just grabbing it without ever aggroing a giant lvl62 dude

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

nerdz posted:

Wait, are you cut off from any and all blades? Because you know, you can outlive any encounter with Healing blades, even weak common ones. That part was insanely easy to me since I already had a good one equipped. Just change your accessories to boost your HP, and aux cores on your blade to give you more physical defense.

I got passed it by using generic blades that I went out and spent money on core chips for, etc. took almost an hour though and it was literally like a trading hits situation where I was on my last leg.

It was mostly an issue of Morag being extremely buff with insane evasion and solid damage.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Andrast posted:

I had no problems just grabbing it without ever aggroing a giant lvl62 dude

I'm like level 43 I think, so that's probably doing it. Just seemed like it was pretty overleveled for the area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VanillaGorilla posted:

I got passed it by using generic blades that I went out and spent money on core chips for, etc. took almost an hour though and it was literally like a trading hits situation where I was on my last leg.

It was mostly an issue of Morag being extremely buff with insane evasion and solid damage.

Bitballs are very good against other drivers because you don't get the weapon bounce when hitting their shields and the driver art that heals you based on the damage you dealt is basically a full heal. You can outlive them by having infinite HP. Bitballs are rather broken.

By the way, I discovered that the "recharge arts" blade art also affects the pouch items that grant passive regen. Which means that on driver arts with 6 regen you can literally cancel the driver art with the same one. And bitballs have 3 arts with 6 regen and one with 9, which is veeery short compared to the other weapons on the game.