Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Are there any other big money sinks besides the core in Gormott?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The problem lies in that they didn't really keep the same meaning with alot of the name changes. The Arkhos/Yoshitsune one is one of the biggest offenders.

What the gently caress is a Yoshitsune

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I love how the game tries to get you to sympathize with the genocidal mass murderers. Chapter 9 spoilers Like, near the end of the game all the torna backstories and the sad music and all I could think when Akhos and that patroika bit it was, "loving finally."
When gramps said jin had a splendid soul I was just like, "Dude killed you and literal boat loads of people.

I guess I really just hate those "You won but you lost" cut scene fights that torna represents.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Valliantstu posted:

I love how the game tries to get you to sympathize with the genocidal mass murderers. Chapter 9 spoilers Like, near the end of the game all the torna backstories and the sad music and all I could think when Akhos and that patroika bit it was, "loving finally."
When gramps said jin had a splendid soul I was just like, "Dude killed you and literal boat loads of people.

they were all designed by tetsuya Nomura, so all of his Mary Sues had to be prominent in the plot to sell the game, even though they were lovely weak characters. I feel like they cared more about not hurting Nomura's feelings than making them actually likable or have fleshed out motives.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Valliantstu posted:

I guess I really just hate those "You won but you lost" cut scene fights that torna represents.

I just realized it because it's a really goofy theme but all of the Xeno games seem to imply that every hero, no matter how messianic, is one dead girlfriend away from genocidal mania.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hoo boy nothing like fighting a terribly annoying boss who can knock you down whenever the gently caress he wants, twice, in succession, and the second time he’s not alone

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
how to fix the crystal issue: remove the gacha, remove common blades, scatter the rare blades inside treasure chests, unique monsters and side quests around the world in a sensible and balanced way. it's crazy how they already did all of these good alternate ways to get blades and still thought the gacha was a good idea

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Calaveron posted:

Hoo boy nothing like fighting a terribly annoying boss who can knock you down whenever the gently caress he wants, twice, in succession, and the second time he’s not alone

Don't worry, you'll never have to fight them again at least. :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VanillaGorilla posted:

This loving sequence in the final chapter where they force you to fight your party is loving inane. I made the terrible, UNFORGIVABLE loving mistake of making Rex a DPS guy, so now I'm just getting housed by Morag because she has a mountain of health and I can't burst her down before she owns the poo poo out of me. Oh, wait, I'll just swap out some blad-----NOPE sorry you stripped all of my party members and my access to the blades I've actually been building up over the course of the game so I'm COMPLETELY hosed.

They do this poo poo like 5 different times over the course of the game and it is absolutely the worst poo poo. What loving designer thought that this was good?

edit: this is so bad that I'm considering just giving up on the game and watching the ending on Youtube. Wow.

Uhhh you should have ALL the Blades available still. Hell, it forces Aegeaon into your active Blades, and he will stomp everything for you in that sequence.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What am I supposed to do at Great Blowhole in the All's Fair quest? There's no marker or anything.

EDIT: Groaaaaaaaaan. This game doesn't actually tell you when you don't have the right party for a quest, it just silently disables it. gently caress the hell off, seriously.

nerdz posted:

how to fix the crystal issue: remove the gacha, remove common blades, scatter the rare blades inside treasure chests, unique monsters and side quests around the world in a sensible and balanced way. it's crazy how they already did all of these good alternate ways to get blades and still thought the gacha was a good idea

From analyzing the game I cannot come up with a good reason as to why there is a gacha mechanic. There seems to be no real point to it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 17, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

voltcatfish posted:

Are there any other big money sinks besides the core in Gormott?

Did you buy the warehouse in the first city? 100k, unless there's a trick to getting it for cheap I haven't found yet

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

From analyzing the game I cannot come up with a good reason as to why there is a gacha mechanic. There seems to be no real point to it.

$$$

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh boy I really am gonna have to go sleep at an inn and cash in all my banked experience to get past this huh
Like I like what they’re doing with Malos but fuuuuuuuck I hate Jin and also how nothing I do to any of those five assholes seems to have any consequences. They just dust themselves off, call me a bitch and cause the chapter to end I’m kinda fed up with that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

But we're not paying money to draw Blades what the gently caress :psyduck:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did you buy the warehouse in the first city? 100k, unless there's a trick to getting it for cheap I haven't found yet

You can sneak into it somehow but with how easy it is to rack up money once you can buy golden cylinders and how garbage the "platforming" is it's easier to just pay for it.

vvv Yeah, seriously. Just salvage a bunch with gold cylinders and save yourself the trouble.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Jump in the Cloud Sea to the right of Rentarenta and circle around the ship. You'll find a ramp leading up to the back door.

It needs something like 4 Nopon Wisdom to open though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

But we're not paying money to draw Blades what the gently caress :psyduck:

You're right that we aren't. But the way it's designed points to them very clearly having planned monetization at some point in development, there's no other explanation really.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm only missing 3 gacha blades after beating the game and they're not really gamechanging (Godfrey, Newt, Daliah).

It really sucks for players if they don't get KOS-MOS or Zenobia since those two are the most broken ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You're right that we aren't. But the way it's designed points to them very clearly having planned monetization at some point in development, there's no other explanation really.

You have picked up a random identical crystal with no discernable means of knowing who is inside it until you Resonate with it.

Also there's no actual way to do your :tinfoil: monetization without bouncing the player to the eShop every time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think it's tinfoil hat to think that a system that 1:1 mirrors gacha games was at some point possibly considered to have a monetization element in it. I don't think that they were going to be the only way you could get blade cores or anything. But "Legendary Core pack. 5.99 per set of 10!" or something seems pretty in line with how lovely the system is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm only missing 3 gacha blades after beating the game and they're not really gamechanging (Godfrey, Newt, Daliah).

It really sucks for players if they don't get KOS-MOS or Zenobia since those two are the most broken ones.

I mean, the game is really meant to be played with default blades (and you get like 6-7 rares from non-RNG). Anything beyond that is extra.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

7 Botany required :laffo: gently caress off, game.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think it's tinfoil hat to think that a system that 1:1 mirrors gacha games was at some point possibly considered to have a monetization element in it. I don't think that they were going to be the only way you could get blade cores or anything. But "Legendary Core pack. 5.99 per set of 10!" or something seems pretty in line with how lovely the system is.

At least they didn't actually implement an IAP. If they did, this game would have been practically boycotted.

I really want the two megabroken Blades, but I think I'll hold off until I get more rare cores. What's the best way to farm them?

Tae posted:

I mean, the game is really meant to be played with default blades (and you get like 6-7 rares from non-RNG). Anything beyond that is extra.

Nah gently caress that, I want the cool unique ones. I'm not gonna let the game lock me out of content.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh poo poo, the gacha mechanic/mobilization is also present in Merc Missions taking real time to complete. Was this originally a mobile game? :lol:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Oh poo poo, the gacha mechanic/mobilization is also present in Merc Missions taking real time to complete. Was this originally a mobile game? :lol:

Nah if it was a mobile game the timers would go down when you weren't playing, so it's somehow worse in that regard.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nah if it was a mobile game the timers would go down when you weren't playing, so it's somehow worse in that regard.

Timers counting down while not playing are signs of a bad game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what is the level cap? I found a level 130 monster, who was surprisingly easy until it did an obvious level check/enrage timer attack that wiped my party.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I get the suspicion, but there's more aspects to the paid gacha model that just aren't here. The lack of replayable/grindable long-run content, number of blades, and absence of online social/competitive features don't indicate a service model imo.

Ironically the gacha would probably be better if they took more stuff from paid games (multirolls, unique non-SSRs, more transparent rateups because what do Ideas and catalysts even do), etc. There should also be a way to just outright buy gacha blades with ingame resources, or just not do the insane thing where all rares evidently have individual rates rather than a collective one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just realized raising merc rank also means you can dispatch more than one team. Whoops.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

You're in the wrong area.

Use the key from the fief to open the gate neat dock #2. Go through the gate and turn left. The salvage point is called Near Chasnegh Wastes or whatever that area is called. Also, you bought the thing from the informant, right? It literally says the monster is at Chasnegh Wastes. This isn't the first post that I've seen with someone wondering why they can't find that monster at the Fief of Forgetfulness, I'm wondering where that misinformation is coming from?

I did buy that thing. I had looked up a video on it and I just skimmed through it, so they went from picking up the key straight to salvaging so I thought they just walked over to that spot :v:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I actually don't mind the gacha mechanic, I think it's neat that people will beat the game with different blades. However, it's way too loving stingy. At some point rare blades should be more common or you should be able to buy something that guarantees them. Although I guess maybe it doesn't make sense if there's no way to realistically level them all without spamming pouch items.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tae posted:

I just realized raising merc rank also means you can dispatch more than one team. Whoops.

when I got to level 2, I sent out Azami on her merc mission, and since it was a special quest one, I assumed it was separate from the normal missions and I could send out my normal team, but it turns out it was because I had 2 team slots all along. I spent all of level 2 thinking this until I got to level 3.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I just noticed something. Xenoblade X spoilers: Is it just me, or do the Indolians look similar to Elma's true form? With the double-eyebrows, blue-ish skin, and pointy ears. If this actually is a thing tho then don't spoil it :ohdear:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I did buy that thing. I had looked up a video on it and I just skimmed through it, so they went from picking up the key straight to salvaging so I thought they just walked over to that spot :v:

last question about this, does it matter what cylinder I use?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

mabels big day posted:

last question about this, does it matter what cylinder I use?

It shouldn't, but you should use gold ones because the spot is really easy to grind materials that you can trade in for 30k gold. You only have to hit A every time!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So I got the Theory or Praxis, who cares, Core Crystal. How do I get the other and to whom should I give them to

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

OK i finally got it. Now, I know it's a darkness tank blade, but the question is, do I do the smart and boring thing and give it to Morag (I already have 3 tank blades on her) or do I do the fun thing and have a mixed class with Nia or Zeke

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 17, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Next time you’re in deep water do yourself a favor and zoom in on Zeke

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

So I got the Theory or Praxis, who cares, Core Crystal. How do I get the other and to whom should I give them to

Get Prax's trust level to 4, and it'll unlock the sidequest that leads to getting Theory.

Calaveron posted:

Next time you’re in deep water do yourself a favor and zoom in on Zeke

Boreas just floats on his back :allears:.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Five has nothing but tank blades whenever I rolled a rare one and I'm not sure how I feel about that as I now have 3 tanks on my team to choose from.

Only ones I'm missing from the Gacha Grind is Finch (:argh:)/KOS-MOS/2 obvious fire guys I don't know the names of.

Also did a fast travel and got tackled by some horrifying thing called King of the Cloud Sea Ken or some poo poo and now I never want to go to that warp spot again jfc :ohdear:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is Azami's merc sidequest just a long time, or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Is Azami's merc sidequest just a long time, or am I missing something?

read her key affinity unlock conditions