Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Glans Dillzig posted:

look at this guy, not cackling out loud like palpatine as you shred mobs

i really like the implementation of nova bomb as a “oh gently caress this poo poo” button when i hit a pve target giving me guff that the channeled powers don’t provide. which reminds me that i need to give that hunter 3 golden guns in one exotic a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i really like the implementation of nova bomb as a “oh gently caress this poo poo” button when i hit a pve target giving me guff that the channeled powers don’t provide. which reminds me that i need to give that hunter 3 golden guns in one exotic a shot

Get the helmet xur is selling, celestial something. Then proceed to some heroic adventure and oneshot a huge ogre. Other than that, golden gun seems more a tool for people with good aim in pvp.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Celestial Nighthawk is ace.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Just got Jade Rabbit and the helm of Saint 14. are they worthwhile in a current build as a titan? Right now I use either war rig/sweet business or the punchy helm/merciless

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i really bounced off the jade rabbit because in the time you can hit a few body shots to deal a high precision shot you could just be nailing that many precision shots instead

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Just got Jade Rabbit and the helm of Saint 14. are they worthwhile in a current build as a titan? Right now I use either war rig/sweet business or the punchy helm/merciless

Dunno much about the helm, but the Jade Rabbit is a gimmick gun, and it's all about how much you enjoy that gimmick. Damage maxes out at 4 bodyshots, but the bonus isn't large enough to match 5 headshots (something like 1000 vs 1200, on cabal in the EDZ) You do get all your ammo refunded though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Unhappy Meal posted:

Dunno much about the helm, but the Jade Rabbit is a gimmick gun, and it's all about how much you enjoy that gimmick. Damage maxes out at 4 bodyshots, but the bonus isn't large enough to match 5 headshots (something like 1000 vs 1200, on cabal in the EDZ) You do get all your ammo refunded though.

what this guy said

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tatsuta Age posted:

Ok my info was bad, apologies

Still criminally irresponsible that it's not in trials

I agree, it rules

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

Hi, I'm the guy who gushes about Chaos warlock charged grenades. Charged Vortex is like having two :fuckoff: buttons. Charging it any longer than the animation takes doesn't make it stronger, it just keeps slowly draining your super bar (I guess to prevent people from just running around with a live grenade for ages), but the full charge is only a little sliver of super bar that will generally result in your grenade kills announcing your super bar is full again.

Charged Axiom is very nice, but in PvE it's Charged vortex that is practically a nova bomb all on it's own. "I'll wear them down with a charged vortex and then finish them off with my-:stare: oh okay then". You cant spam it as much as with devour, but it turns it into feeling like you have a super you can use more often.

Sudden swarm of Taken Phalanxes axiom bolts or magnetic grenade to nothing to? Dead. Yellow bar Vex Hydra you're just not in the mood to wait for it's shields to rotate to shoot with your linear fusion cannon in the eyeball multiple times, or do high angle tricky jump shots with a rocket launcher that may not quite kill it? Dead.

Charge Axiom adds +2 bolts. So it can help catch more widely spread stragglers a lot better, I switch to it the rare occasions it's gonna be Fallen 24/7 without them mixing in other factions. But I've been spoiled by how a charged vortex on top of being better for "I want that tough guy dead" in general, essentially ignores all shielding except outright invulnerability. And for more close together piles of enemies, it's more guranteed to cause a chain reaction of "killed by void powers = they explode". On paper the effect of charged vortex grenades does not sound as good, but in practice I've found it to be incredibly reliable.

Also, the effect of charged scatter is to give it's pellets rudimentary homing. But I've had very mixed luck with that. The other two are both great in my experience, I just prefer Vortex's better tendency to bypass shield, and glue itself to the face of a floating target on a good throw. You can't really go wrong with more seekers if you already love seekers.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 17, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Are Ikora mission replays only available once per week? I did a bunch yesterday and she doesn't have any available today.

e: whats the best way to get paradox amplifiers? Crucible or Heroic or Normal Strike?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 17, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tatsuta Age posted:

Ok my info was bad, apologies

Still criminally irresponsible that it's not in trials

If Trials had skill based matchmaking then going flawless would become almost impossible.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my 9 masterworks weapons have thus far yielded me 9 cores

gently caress you bungie

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Oxyclean posted:

Are Ikora mission replays only available once per week?

Correct.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Section Z posted:

Charge Axiom adds +2 bolts. So it can help catch more widely spread stragglers a lot better, I switch to it the rare occasions it's gonna be Fallen 24/7 without them mixing in other factions. But I've been spoiled by how a charged vortex on top of being better for "I want that tough guy dead" in general, essentially ignores all shielding except outright invulnerability. And for more close together piles of enemies, it's more guranteed to cause a chain reaction of "killed by void powers = they explode". On paper the effect of charged vortex grenades does not sound as good, but in practice I've found it to be incredibly reliable.

It also substantially increases the homing range of the bolts. Easily 2x.

Oxyclean posted:

Are Ikora mission replays only available once per week? I did a bunch yesterday and she doesn't have any available today.

e: whats the best way to get paradox amplifiers? Crucible or Heroic or Normal Strike?

Each character gets to do 3 Ikora Missions / Week, two from the vanilla campaign and 1 from Curse. For Amplifiers, Heroic Strikes are my favorite way to get them. Most H strikes go pretty fast, and I think you mostly only ever get 1 per thing you do

Eej posted:

If Trials had skill based matchmaking then going flawless would become almost impossible.

Trials is for the sweatiest of the sweaty, think of it as the PvP Raid. It's supposed to pretty much be for the top tier PvP players.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Celestial Nighthawk is fuckin' L O L in adventures.

"There's the co--"

*activates Golden Gun*

"mmander, Guar--"

*Aims at head, hits for 31k, commander dies instantly*

"dian. Take him out to stop the Taken from gaining any more power until we can pinpoint the source of the energy."

What a dope helmet

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Section Z posted:

Hi, I'm the guy who gushes about Chaos warlock charged grenades. Charged Vortex is like having two :fuckoff: buttons. Charging it any longer than the animation takes doesn't make it stronger, it just keeps slowly draining your super bar (I guess to prevent people from just running around with a live grenade for ages), but the full charge is only a little sliver of super bar that will generally result in your grenade kills announcing your super bar is full again.

Charged Axiom is very nice, but in PvE it's Charged vortex that is practically a nova bomb all on it's own. "I'll wear them down with a charged vortex and then finish them off with my-:stare: oh okay then". You cant spam it as much as with devour, but it turns it into feeling like you have a super you can use more often.

Sudden swarm of Taken Phalanxes axiom bolts or magnetic grenade to nothing to? Dead. Yellow bar Vex Hydra you're just not in the mood to wait for it's shields to rotate to shoot with your linear fusion cannon in the eyeball multiple times, or do high angle tricky jump shots with a rocket launcher that may not quite kill it? Dead.

Also, the effect of charged scatter is to give it's pellets rudimentary homing. But I've had very mixed luck with that. The other two are both great in my experience, I just prefer Vortex's better tendency to bypass shield, and glue itself to the face of a floating target on a good throw. You can't really go wrong with more seekers if you already love seekers.

Just my personal taste really. Rather than aim a grenade, I can just toss it vaguely in a direction.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JerikTelorian posted:

Trials is for the sweatiest of the sweaty, think of it as the PvP Raid. It's supposed to pretty much be for the top tier PvP players.

If Trials worked off skill based matchmaking then every game would be a 50/50 meaning you have to win a coin flip 7 times in a row for flawless. Since the quality of games won doesn't matter since achieving a high MMR isn't the goal, people would group with noobs to throw Trials games between flawless runs in order to tank rating so they can win streak to flawless from lower MMR.

The solution to providing actual sweats, of course, is ranked PvP which is happening sometime in the future. That mode will be designed for matching players of equal skill level and hopefully will provide incentives to maintaining a high MMR (ornaments/gear/shaders/ghosts/ships, a number on a banner indicating your dick size etc).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Argas posted:

Just my personal taste really. Rather than aim a grenade, I can just toss it vaguely in a direction.
Also a lovely reason to use a grenade. I admit Hunter soured me with their skip grenades from how often I'd watch it uselessly bounce down a hill past cabal in the early story. So I keep taking for granted that axiom bolts will actually do their job real well when charged up.

Could be worse. Could be those "Deal extra damage when attached to the target" grenades. "Whoo, magnets baby!-oh it will just sail over their shoulder.... Okay, okay. THIS time for sure. WHOO magnets-ah I see it attached directly to the nearby cabal's shield instead of my target, then did just shy of gently caress all.".

Plenty of grenade types that won't quite kill players in PvP, but it's extra embarrassing when your deathcam front row seat gets a view of the dude who just killed you with your grenade glued to his chest, and surviving the explosion.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Section Z posted:

Also a lovely reason to use a grenade. I admit Hunter soured me with their skip grenades from how often I'd watch it uselessly bounce down a hill past cabal in the early story. So I keep taking for granted that axiom bolts will actually do their job real well when charged up.

Could be worse. Could be those "Deal extra damage when attached to the target" grenades. "Whoo, magnets baby!-oh it will just sail over their shoulder.... Okay, okay. THIS time for sure. WHOO magnets-ah I see it attached directly to the nearby cabal's shield instead of my target, then did just shy of gently caress all.".

Plenty of grenade types that won't quite kill players in PvP, but it's extra embarrassing when your deathcam front row seat gets a view of the dude who just killed you with your grenade glued to his chest, and surviving the explosion.

Shinobu's makes Skip Grenades insanely motivated bloodhounds that will seek out enemies through doorways and around corners it's pretty neat for PvP

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Trials works the same way.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Edit: double post :(

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Eej posted:

Shinobu's makes Skip Grenades insanely motivated bloodhounds that will seek out enemies through doorways and around corners it's pretty neat for PvP

Those were D1 essential. If/when there's ever reason to move off Nightstalker, it's likely as hell I'm going back to them.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

poemdexter posted:

Trials works the same way.

Goddamnit if this means you got a five win ticket right after i went to work im gonna be super pleased and also very sad i wasnt in on it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

cvnvcnv posted:

Those were D1 essential. If/when there's ever reason to move off Nightstalker, it's likely as hell I'm going back to them.

Strictly speaking Arcbolts do more damage, especially to more than one person and go off faster (aka almost instantly) but Shinobu Skips you can bounce off walls or throw mid-air as you jump around a corner with an SMG. I can't say whether or not they're better than Arcbolts which are a fantatsic grenade but they're really fun at least.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Goddamnit if this means you got a five win ticket right after i went to work im gonna be super pleased and also very sad i wasnt in on it.

No, it means he fell off shortly after. Or something.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So, silly question. Did some youtube superstar show some clipshow of getting kills by crouching for "PRO STEALTH" last weekened?

Because this week, all of a sudden I'm noticing a bunch more people trying to be sneaky by just sitting crouched and hoping people run into their guns while their blip isn't on the radar than I ever really have before. Whether it's regular quickplay or Competitive quickplay.

On the one hand, it does catch me sometimes as I strafe past their hidey spot shooting at their teammates (When I'm ADS so flickering radar signatures are a moot point). On the other, playing Competitive quickplay towards ornaments and seeing people try to do this in a mid length L bend hallway is just... Okay I walk up and punch you to death after shooting your crouched easy target fact, why did crouch there of all places? How are you worse at this game than me of all people?

Murphy's law is that I always notice this ahead of time while my grenades are on cooldown, alas :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's probably just people trying the wrong kind of hard in Competitive.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Babby's first video editing :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFn2Vq0XgUo

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

nickhimself posted:

Celestial Nighthawk is fuckin' L O L in adventures.

"There's the co--"

*activates Golden Gun*

"mmander, Guar--"

*Aims at head, hits for 31k, commander dies instantly*

"dian. Take him out to stop the Taken from gaining any more power until we can pinpoint the source of the energy."

What a dope helmet

One shotting Big Scary Bosses never gets old

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone else have issues with this game being awful at loading things? I've noticed I'll just have oddly long loading times, or I'll get stuck on loading boundaries in the middle of levels and sometimes inventory is just super slow to load or loot will be the spinning icon until it disappears. I think it might be related to bandwidth thing since I usually notice it when I'm trying to watch something on youtube, but I have pretty fast internet and haven't ran into this problem on any other game. Is there anything I can adjust to make this better?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Oxyclean posted:

Does anyone else have issues with this game being awful at loading things? I've noticed I'll just have oddly long loading times, or I'll get stuck on loading boundaries in the middle of levels and sometimes inventory is just super slow to load or loot will be the spinning icon until it disappears. I think it might be related to bandwidth thing since I usually notice it when I'm trying to watch something on youtube, but I have pretty fast internet and haven't ran into this problem on any other game. Is there anything I can adjust to make this better?

It just sucks. Sometimes I go back to town and it takes like 5 minutes to load, and then there's a mass load-in of 100 people all at once so I know it's not just my poo poo being slow. Recently I've started loading in but no vendors show up.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Oxyclean posted:

Loading into new areas is matchmaking, but your inventory loading just sounds like a bad drive, I've had instant inventory forever. The only time I've seen spinny loading symbols on inventory was on the console version.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

In my experience, regular crucible seems almost guaranteed to provide at least one paradox amp per match.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What rewards are truly non-repeatable for characters? Campaign missions can be replayed as meditations, although you get special rewards the first time through. Most milestones reset weekly.

Are region chests the most noticeable "one-time" reward in game (per character of course)?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Glans Dillzig posted:

One shotting Big Scary Bosses never gets old

For real, Celestial Nighthawk made me switch away from the Lucky Pants because being able to skip an entire boss phase with a single golden bullet is extremely satisfying.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coughing Hobo posted:

For real, Celestial Nighthawk made me switch away from the Lucky Pants because being able to skip an entire boss phase with a single golden bullet is extremely satisfying.

I'm loving that too if only my aim was better and I wouldn't miss my one shot :negative:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pmchem posted:

What rewards are truly non-repeatable for characters? Campaign missions can be replayed as meditations, although you get special rewards the first time through. Most milestones reset weekly.

Are region chests the most noticeable "one-time" reward in game (per character of course)?

i thought region chests reset, kind of like how lost sectors do

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Cowcaster posted:

i thought region chests reset

no

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Intuitively I know JQK3 to be a very good gun but the way the model recoils and you lose your sights (unlike for example, Better Devil) prevents me from hitting anything with it when I'm firing as fast as I can. And if I'm not firing a 150 rpm HC as fast as I can in a fight why aren't I just using a 140 rpm like the Minuet or Annual Skate?

Weirdly the Trials Energy HC doesn't have this problem but instead it suffers the 180RPM HC problem of "every bullet tickles".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cowcaster posted:

i thought region chests reset, kind of like how lost sectors do
They seem to be a once per account deal since I collected all of them on my Titan (my first character) and then there weren't any available on my Hunter or Warlock beyond the initial one Devrim gets you to loot as part of the intro quests.

Except of course with Curse of Osiris they added 5 more on Mercury which are character based rather than account based because ???? ???. Also, if you haven't done the chests on Mercury yet you get 2 guaranteed legendary drops when you open the fifth one on a character.

• Locked thread