Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
JavaScript is garbage lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kenny Logins posted:

spent a few minutes looking at this to see if you were using a secret code

don't know that I've ever spotted that happening naturally before

its called a river and typesetters try to avoid them but, internet

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_(typography)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/s_ridenour/status/941703857150705664

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
so that's why they named the programming language 'swift'

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kobayashi posted:

its called a river and typesetters try to avoid them but, internet

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_(typography)
:tipshat:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
instead of tweeting i prefer to post terrorbilly

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:iamafag:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

sure mr fireball..... sure

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

for a second i thought this was a random android screenshot then i realized it was the ios 11 app store

jesus wept

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is very hard to tell whether one is getting old or whether software actually uses ridiculously much memory these days

need some infographics which explains what fraction is used by what really, graphical assets are sort of easy to imagine having ballooned, but it is hard to imagine that that is the whole explanation

I usually leave applications open since my iMac has 32GB of memory. After a few months of not being closed Skype was using 15GB.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

disturbingly it is a perfectly legit hypothesis that largely all software now leaks a fair bit of memory

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

"the swift life" is a lifestyle app with a clear design statement: look what you made me do

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eric posted:

I usually leave applications open since my iMac has 32GB of memory. After a few months of not being closed Skype was using 15GB.

Skype continues to be garbage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"That'll be $600"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

disturbingly it is a perfectly legit hypothesis that largely all software now leaks a fair bit of memory

the kernel pager is now essentially a global garbage collector, flushing unused pages to disk

everything old is new again

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

"it" is currently autocorrecting to "I.T" on my keyboard.

christ, time to install google keyboard.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
dont use autocorrect. use dictation.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

dont use autocorrect. use dictation.

dict me

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Beamed posted:

"it" is currently autocorrecting to "I.T" on my keyboard.

christ, time to install google keyboard.

I've been seeing people use I.T all over the Internet. It's sad that Apple can't fix this incredibly basic feature and and never did in the update, only hard coding the i to a? case.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I will continue using iOS9 on a 6S until it dies. The latest phone that hasn't completed hosed Messages with gimmicks from other message apps, literally the only key app. I already have snapchat as a separate app thank you.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish tim would let me teach my widdle keyboard AI how to say gently caress

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

emoji posted:

I've been seeing people use I.T all over the Internet. It's sad that Apple can't fix this incredibly basic feature and and never did in the update, only hard coding the i to a? case.

yeah, these last 2 months have been really frustrating & embarrassing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:trumppop:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Beamed posted:

yeah, these last 2 months have been really frustrating & embarrassing

do you work at apple? I own Apple products but even so, it’s been hilarious to see such a smug company stumbling with advanced computor concepts like root access

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Lost power during a software update? Hope you have a backup Mac to jumpstart your Mac Pro

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
or you can turn off the secure boot thing before doing the update if it’s that big of a deal to you.

anybody who spends $5k on a computer but won’t spend another ~$150 for even a basic battery-backed UPS deserves whatever bad things happen to them.

I imagine most iMac pros will be used by companies or people with more than one Mac.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

I will continue using iOS9 on a 6S until it dies. The latest phone that hasn't completed hosed Messages with gimmicks from other message apps, literally the only key app. I already have snapchat as a separate app thank you.

lol if you didn't install 10

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

or you can turn off the secure boot thing before doing the update if it’s that big of a deal to you.

anybody who spends $5k on a computer but won’t spend another ~$150 for even a basic battery-backed UPS deserves whatever bad things happen to them.

I imagine most iMac pros will be used by companies or people with more than one Mac.

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apples bad software cant handle updating and their hardware cant handle booting to recovery media.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

lol if you didn't install 10

I have 10 on the iPad and it's too bloated.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
lol Apple Store Offers Refund for iPhone That Can't Distinguish Between Two Chinese Women - Inverse
https://apple.news/AJpx_QW7STA2h1fNRjZO85A

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

emoji posted:

lol Apple Store Offers Refund for iPhone That Can't Distinguish Between Two Chinese Women - Inverse
https://apple.news/AJpx_QW7STA2h1fNRjZO85A

how about burqas? how’s the Face ID going in the Middle East?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

how about burqas? hows the Face ID going in the Middle East?

man, I haven't even thought of this. face id is so loving dumb.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Doc Block posted:

after 15 years of using exclusively laptops it didn't even occur to me at first that the power going out would be an issue with a desktop

then the power went out for the first time, i went durrr, pulled out my phone, and ordered a ups from amazon while still sitting in the dark

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

how about burqas? how’s the Face ID going in the Middle East?
the venn diagram of countries with an abundance people wealthy enough for a $1000 phone where facial coverings are common is pretty much saudi arabia, and they just let women drive cars, so i'd be pretty surprised if many are "allowed" to have cell phones outside their homes. most muslim countries don't require more than a hijab (or similar), which face id will work fine with.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

akadajet posted:

man, I haven't even thought of this. face id is so loving dumb.

face id is fine. those countries are dumb

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Doc Block posted:

“Just disable the security feature” is some pretty Apple advice.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Endless Mike posted:

the venn diagram of countries with an abundance people wealthy enough for a $1000 phone where facial coverings are common is pretty much saudi arabia, and they just let women drive cars, so i'd be pretty surprised if many are "allowed" to have cell phones outside their homes. most muslim countries don't require more than a hijab (or similar), which face id will work fine with.

drat selection bias is a strong thing. the saudis you met are way above the average. your average saudi is poor as poo poo and lives hand to mouth.

seriously, one of the conditions to lift the blockade on qatar is that qatar lowers the salaries of its citizens to similar levels. qatar told them to sit and spin lol.

saudi is a joke.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

tk posted:

“Just disable the security feature” is some pretty Apple advice.

well if you’re worried that an interrupted update will screw up the boot drive to the point where apple’s secure boot thing can’t even launch the recovery partition, at least enable booting from an external drive. you can always turn it back off after the update completes.

from the look of it, that link has you essentially put the borked iMac Pro into DFU mode and reset it and probably have to reinstall everything, which probably means the update would have to get really hosed up, like maybe if the firmware update gets interrupted and the iMac can’t boot at all.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 17, 2017