Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

I want the song version of this. Please santa Ewe...

There's stuff I can do and there's stuff I can't do. Disco women is one of those I can't do.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The Crobert by citizenwolf

I can't do justice to this either. The vocals are very idiosyncratic.

Oh for an interesting reggae song. Maybe I should do Igziabeher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizen in Trouble? - This Week In Gaming | FPS News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ30lFsHquQ

I really love this post. We've seen countless examples of "reality doesn't matter! the game is in development which means everything can & will change for the better", and I genuinely think it's fascinating to see it applied to things like this

There's gotta be a name for this type of delusion. It's like Schrodinger's Cat combined with that mystery box bit from Family Guy. It's like a twisted version of that famous Miyamoto quote about delayed games being eventually good .

It's been said a lot before itt, but releasing the game would be so much worse for these people than canceling it outright.

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 17, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

ewe2 posted:

There's stuff I can do and there's stuff I can't do. Disco women is one of those I can't do.

:negative:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Kramjacks posted:

That reminds me of Dead Space uh, 2 or 3. At one point you walk through a doorway and a couple guards grab your arms, rendering you completely helpless. When by that point Issac is this loving insane monster smashing death-machine. I was hoping that Issac would just horrifically destroy the guards as a show of what fighting the necromorphs has done to him and made him capable of, but no, he just kind of squirms ineffectually.

There's one very specific scene where you do that in Dead Space 2, where you reach the top of the Unitologist building, take off your helmet and meekly shuffle your shoulders while being grabbed by two nerds.

I get that Visceral was super impressed with themselves so he had to pop off his helmet every time Clark found himself in a cutscene but man I about lost my mind when he took off his helmet to confront the guy known for stabbing people in the eye with a screwdriver. Maybe leave your magic armor on for that one buddy.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Sure you're a mutated superhuman that roams the countryside doin murders on giants and spooky ghosts but you're hosed if a hobo decides it's time to box.

Geralt did die when a random peasant jabbed him in the tummy with a pitchfork during a riot.

He got better, though.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Finally caught up with the thread! Man, why'd the poo poo have to hit the fan in the middle of finals week? It's been a great way to blow off all the stress catching up though!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

DapperDon posted:

Notice the upside down Goonrathi pin?

:aaaaa:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Goonrathi art was absolutely on point during the age of dreams.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

I can't do justice to this either. The vocals are very idiosyncratic.

Oh for an interesting reggae song. Maybe I should do Igziabeher.

I can probably do it, if I ever get a doctor and my insurance to OK taking a look into my throat to see what's wrong with my voice. I used to make a fair chunk of my living by singing. Anyway, it got totally overlooked, so either it's bad, or people don't recognize it. Either way, it's probably not worth recording.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I can probably do it, if I ever get a doctor and my insurance to OK taking a look into my throat to see what's wrong with my voice. I used to make a fair chunk of my living by singing. Anyway, it got totally overlooked, so either it's bad, or people don't recognize it. Either way, it's probably not worth recording.

I liked it as poetry anyway. Unlike some weirdos, I actually enjoy people's poetic/parodic efforts so don't ever stop :glomp:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Taintrunner posted:

The Witcher 3 is easily game of the decade

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I find it difficult to believe that any game has 10 hours of good writing let alone 100.

Witcher 3 is my personal Game Of The Past 5 Years Or So, and I think the writing is what puts it there. The open world is really well done and feels alive, the npc's are just mind bogglingly detailed, and the mechanics are snappy and responsive. But mechanically it doesn't do anything that you won't see in an Assassin's Creed or a Far Cry title. It's the writing that propels it over the top. And that is in spite of some obvious limitations in the game's conversation engine. While much more robust than, say, Mass Effect Andromeda's, after 100 hours you're still going to notice when a cutscene is using the default conversation animations. But the stories are so good you won't care. The bloody baron quest? The mission with Yenn that ends on top of a mountain, fighting a djinn on half a boat? The return to Crookback Bog? All of Hearts of Stone, all of Blood and Wine? If you've played through you know what I'm talking about.

The thing about Witcher 3 is that the level of its writing barely rises above the level of pulp fantasy novel, with a sprinkling of commentary on the human condition. That isn't a criticism! Video games by and large do not rise to that level. That's because they have to involve player agency, and it's really hard to tell a deep and engaging story when it has to branch out in a zillion directions based on choices. Usually you have to make a visually cheaper game to more rapidly produce content (Undertale), or you have to tell a rigid story and not let the player deviate (Spec Ops), or you have to tell a bland story where none of the choices really change anything and the characters don't matter because the player may never even encounter them (Every Bethesda title ever). Witcher 3 manages to walk the thinnest of lines, railroading the player through the arc of several interesting and engaging stories while still giving the impression that your choices really change where things are going. You can actually gently caress up in Witcher and not get the best outcomes for everyone. You can miss whole subplots and characters! That's a risk you have to run, for your choices to matter.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Sarsapariller posted:

Witcher 3 is my personal Game Of The Past 5 Years Or So, and I think the writing is what puts it there. The open world is really well done and feels alive, the npc's are just mind bogglingly detailed, and the mechanics are snappy and responsive. But mechanically it doesn't do anything that you won't see in an Assassin's Creed or a Far Cry title. It's the writing that propels it over the top. And that is in spite of some obvious limitations in the game's conversation engine. While much more robust than, say, Mass Effect Andromeda's, after 100 hours you're still going to notice when a cutscene is using the default conversation animations. But the stories are so good you won't care. The bloody baron quest? The mission with Yenn that ends on top of a mountain, fighting a djinn on half a boat? The return to Crookback Bog? All of Hearts of Stone, all of Blood and Wine? If you've played through you know what I'm talking about.

Easily game of the decade. Easily has 100 hours of good writing.

There was more emotion provoking gameplay in random obscure side quests you might never come across while playing the game in Witcher 3 than many many many titles have throughout their entire campaign. The Witcher 3 was nonstop incredible.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Klyith posted:

Counter-argument: Kerbal Space Program.

Totally agree. One of the most intense and immersive gaming experiences I’ve ever had was trying to dock my little green Kerbin dudes to a small cylinder in low-earth orbit. But KSP is a game that knew from the start exactly what it was, and more importantly, what it wasn’t.

Elite and Star Citizen have a lot in common philosophically. The governing dynamic of both games is “look at this place! Isn’t this awesome? Finally, no boundaries! You can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone... You can make this game into anything you want! We give you possibilities, you get to design your own fun! The only limit is your imagination!”

Of course this is nonsense. Good games are defined by rules, thematic and/or narrative structure, and carefully curated limitations on player agency. Oh, and a finely tuned dose of the unexpected. Poker is a much better game than tic-tac-toe, because perfect technical play doesn’t guarantee success. But Star Citzen and Elite go too far the other way. They’re the video game equivalent of a kid on summer vacation, alone at home with all the time in the world, bored to tears. The rules (i.e gameplay systems) of both games are either non-existent, or so vague and inconsequential the only way to find them is alt-tab to a search engine.

“Ok Google, what can I actually do in Star Citizen?”
“Ok Google, what are conflict zones in Elite Dangerous?”
“What is there to do in <space game>?”

It’s that old adage: “If everything matters equally then nothing matters.”

At their core, the only difference between these games is in the execution. Elite is a best-case-scenario for a “Sandbox Space Game with Space Activities.” And it ain’t that great.

Toops fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 17, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The reason I couldn't care less for Witcher 3 is that I don't care about stories in video games. The gameplay is boring and I couldn't get past the Bloody Baron quests on my second installation. Give me Cuphead or a good puzzle game on my phone.

Same reason Elite or Star Citizen would never be worth me installing them.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I really take it personally when SC Fanboys buy ships. It makes me so mad and feel so powerless when a bunch of delusional misfits hoard JPEGs that I lose all control and then I end up :justpost: ing.

A fate worse than death.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That my friends...

is the sunken cost fallacy.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

It's me the tall poppy.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Combat Theory posted:

That ain't an understatement. Thread is gold. Thanks especially to loxbourne and G0RF for their effortposts. Great reads.

Ha - thank you Combat Theory, though every page has amazing posts of late — too many insightful authors here to mention! The thread is truly the greatest ongoing online dialogue I’ve ever had a chance to participate in.

Star Citizen is good and the thread is proof.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

More like :cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

Yeesh, pure social media cringewreck!

A hopeless Star Citizen goner petitions one of the world’s richest men — a man whose prior wealth was made stratospheric by operationalizing efficiency so well that he bested WALMART and who runs an honest-to-goodness rocket enterprise in his spare time — to save the most hopelessly inefficient and poorly managed gaming studio in modern history.

Keep doing what you’re doing, Nkato. :slick:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 17, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the only thing that sucks about CIG going down is that if star citizen, in some hypothetical alternate reality, was ever completed, the amount of misery that could be inflicted on true believers would be incredible.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

There's one very specific scene where you do that in Dead Space 2, where you reach the top of the Unitologist building, take off your helmet and meekly shuffle your shoulders while being grabbed by two nerds.

I get that Visceral was super impressed with themselves so he had to pop off his helmet every time Clark found himself in a cutscene but man I about lost my mind when he took off his helmet to confront the guy known for stabbing people in the eye with a screwdriver. Maybe leave your magic armor on for that one buddy.

Eye stabby guy was who I remembered. DS2 really did have a fascination with stabbing Issac in the eye didn't it.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

starkebn posted:

The reason I couldn't care less for Witcher 3 is that I don't care about stories in video games.

I generally don't give a poo poo about video game stories because the writing is almost always bottom level trash. There's a great quote (I wish I could remember from where) about one of the GTA games about how the writers are people who have seen Scarface and Goodfellas a hundred times each but never read a book.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can’t wait for Jeff Bezos to smash open the courtroom doors right before the evil lawyer man makes Ben spill all the guts only to declare, “your honor, this entire case is nothing more than FUD!” And then everyone stands up and claps

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

starkebn posted:

The reason I couldn't care less for Witcher 3 is that I don't care about stories in video games. The gameplay is boring and I couldn't get past the Bloody Baron quests on my second installation. Give me Cuphead or a good puzzle game on my phone.

Same reason Elite or Star Citizen would never be worth me installing them.

This is me. If I want a good story I would read the witcher books (are they good?) or play a visual novel. Meanwhile I can play a half-naked dude in monster hunter forever. Same with fighting games.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Infinitesimal rate of improvement, confirmed.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/210237242?t=02h42m25s

:gary:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hobold posted:

Eye stabby guy was who I remembered. DS2 really did have a fascination with stabbing Issac in the eye didn't it.
It was part of the game's symbolism. Something about eyes being the windows of the soul or something?

The bit where you have to stab yourself in the eye got a real hardcore cringe from me, so I think they succeeded.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

"...a game made in Amazon Lumberyard."

Chris said it, so it must be true. The developers must have overwritten all the source files in ./cryengine with the Lumberyard source code. :allears:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Rudager posted:

Holy loving echo chamber.

"Oh the timing's weird, like they've known about this for 3 years?" Yes, and in the filings it clearly states they asked CiG multiple times to hold up their end of the bargain, they didn't now here we are

"If it was me, I'd have waited until there were actual sales of the game" :what: Oh that's right I forgot, it's a "pledge" and CiG are nice enough to give you gifts in return, it's not a pre-order.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 17, 2017

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Lol at ortwins hologram head with shadow permanently on.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Golli posted:

:five:

Realism is the enemy of fun. The more realistic a 'game' is, then the less fun it is.

Simulators are in a special category - the fun there is in the challenge of mastering something that is as close to the original as possible. However, every simulator I've ever played has focused on the interesting parts - takeoff/landing, entering port/leaving port, starting up the reactor/shutting down the reactor/casualties, surfacing/submerging/hovering the ship [full-scale 6dof mockup of a submarine control room for training in WA], Racing.

None of them emphasize realism in the boring, transit parts - they abstract it away. It has very little fun, and very little training value.

Which is why any space game that doesn't abstract 'the vastness of space' away, except as an option for the masochists, will fall victim to the same criticism.

I think scale and vastness in Elite are just fine and are not the problem. It is one of their strengths in my opinion. The main weakness in Elite is the complete lack of meaningful player agency that allows to actually link in game actions and mechanics with purpose and motivation. They have some embryos there with Powerplay and the background sim but it is still far, far from it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

They need to put a mirror there so the shadow completely disappears .

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

This is pretty much why I skipped on Witcher 3 despite the near universal praise and don't play RPGs anymore. I saw nerds on the internet crowing about how it takes 100 hours to finish the game and immediately knew that there's now way the combat and gameplay would carry the game through to the end. I sure wasn't going to grind through 100 hours for the story and writing. I forget what the plot and characters in RPGs are even about after about 10 hours in.

e. The last RPG I had a lot of fun with was Skyrim because the rpg elements and story are almost completely incidental to the primary gameplay of walking around, hitting people and taking their stuff.

e2. plus you can be a cat

Yeah, agreed, for me Witcher 3 was like 90% - ride around, enjoy the cutscenes. And Gwent.

About Skyrim I disagree though - without mods, like for example this one that adds multitude of perks, the gameplay is pretty boring. The strength of Skyrim is the unwritten stories you can encounter. Like for example in this lighthouse, where there is blood everywhere, you find a hole in the floor leading to a cave where you find some big bugs and the corpses of the previous inhabitants of the lighthouse.

For me the perfect combination of story and gameplay was Baldurs Gate II. 280 hours and this in year 2000. Good times.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Got a silly question, I know nothing about law!

So part of Crytek's claim is that they did a deal with CIG on the cheap, partly on the grounds of the publicity offered.

So obviously CIG removed logos, dumped Crytek's and so on.

But I see a lot of Shitizen's now saying no-one will work with Crytek again.

Working on the assumption that CIG's action did indeed force Crytek's hand, is the "evidence" of reputational damage seen on Reddit and such useable in the claim against CIG to bolster the case for damaged caused, potentially resulting in more damages awarded?

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 17, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

reverend crabhands posted:

Got a silly question, I know nothing about law!

So part of Crytek's claim is that they did d deal with CIG on the cheap, partly on the grounds of the publicity offered.

So obviously CIG removed logs, dumped Cryteks and so on.

But I see a lot of Shitizen's now saying no-one will work with Crytek again.

Working on the assumption that CIG's action did indeed force Crytek's hand, is the "evidence" of reputational damage seen on Reddit and such useable in the claim against CIG to bolster the case for damaged caused, potentially resulting in more damages awarded?

(Almost no one is working with cryengine anyways. So the shitizens are closer to the truth than usual)

In any case no, you cannot use any damage that was sorely derived from your own actions (in this case the lawsuit) to your advantage. The equivalent is putting your foot on the beartrap that you installed (in front of the judge) and then asking for damages.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

EightAce posted:

I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL ORT! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE SHADOW OF THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Just because I keep seeing this argument crop up, that SC and SQ42 is one game therefor CIG don't owe Crytek another license...

Here is Ben Lesnick to explain it : https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42uni8/why_is_star_citizen_being_split_from_squadron_42/czd8f1o/?st=jbamkw75&sh=a02a99b1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Toops posted:

I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL ORT! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE SHADOW OF THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
The Tickler of Oz.