Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Poor Vince, that poo poo was literally unplayable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Starc looked really good that spell and the English looked ok against him and then he bowls a literally unplayable jaffa to Vince. Gotta love Starc for that

he very obviously reminds me of Johnson in that he runs very hot-and-cold, but while Johnson tends to be one or the other all match/series, Starc seems to vary from spell to spell so he's always some sort of danger

edit: not that though, that was just a fluke

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Good luck facing spin equivalent movement at fast pace.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
wtf is australia doing

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

a literally unplayable jaffa

But it did hit something on the pitch, didn't it?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
pissing down

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

markgreyam posted:

But it did hit something on the pitch, didn't it?

Yeah deviated off a crack

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Yeah deviated off a crack

Anyone got a clip of it that is viewable outside of Australia?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Anyone got a clip of it that is viewable outside of Australia?

https://twitter.com/CricketAus/status/942305553350508544

That work ?

EDIT

https://twitter.com/CricketAus/status/942306334246035457

Movement off the crack

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I feel someone should remind the commentators that Australia haven't regained the Ashes yet

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JFC, that's just become the dictonary definition of literally unplayable. Not even Bradman would have gotten within cooee of that ball.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Australia are really one wicket away from a very shaky tail but there is a lot of rain forecast tomorrow. I think looking ahead Englands biggest challenge if they get through this is how flat the MCG has been lately. The MCG test for the last ashes tour was quite decent and led to probably the best game of the series but since then there has been three tests for these first innings scores

Australia 530 India 465

Australia 3/551d (could have been 800 + easily) West Indies 271

Australia 8/624d and Pakistan 9/443

If a pitch THAT flat gets served up I dont see how England can take 20 wickets.

EDIT

actually writing it out like that its amazing Australia has fast bowlers at all and that they haven't all died

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 17, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
2 out of the last three England tours to Australia have ended in whitewashes. This is looking to be 3 out of 4. Always love to turn on the TV or the BBC sport app and see "ENGLAND COLLAPSE" again and again and again. But hey, we've got that franchise t20 league to look forward to!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol at the first comment on this.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I don't think we will lose too much time tomorrow, there is some weather coming through in the morning, which could even be before play, but once that front goes through it should basically be uninterrupted

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

EMC posted:

I don't think we will lose too much time tomorrow, there is some weather coming through in the morning, which could even be before play, but once that front goes through it should basically be uninterrupted

sweet, England will have lost the series before I wake up

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anderson tho has no goddamn excuse - how many times has he been here? How many wickets does he have?

In Australia, very few. His first 5-fer was last test.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I think Anderson is an absolute wanker but hes been good this series with the tools he has. Broad has been absolutely balls.

Anderson is the only bowler between the two teams that could continually hit the crack. He has been mostly good with the new ball. Its hard to criticise Anderson. He isnt the ideal bowler to take wickets in Australia but he is doing probably as well as a middle aged swing bowler can do in Australia.

Even me an Anderson hater from way back has to give him his due on how good he has become since the last Australian whitewash

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 17, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Everyone thought he was done after his last injury, but he's come back really well. He just isn't very suited to Aussie conditions.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CricketAus/status/942369825124265984/video/1

this must be what sex feels like

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I dont know if England are using him right. He is bowling a ton of overs as if he is both the new ball strike bowler and the guy bowling the overs moeen should be bowling. He has bowled the most overs this series for an englishman and only lyon has bowled more.

His figures are 2/50, 0/25, 1/71, 5/43, 4/116

That is mostly good. First innings in adelaide is probably the worst he bowled. I dont think he will be bragging about 4/116 and he was poor on day 3 as were all the English but 4 wickets @ 29 on that pitch isnt awful. I mean look at his teammates

Broad 0/142
Woakes 1/128
Overton 2/110
Ali 1/120

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

All I can hear is Richie Benaud's "Gatting has no idea what happened to it... still doesn't know"

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Yep thanks. :). gently caress having to deal with that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
That's almost as good as that Mitchell Johnson 140km/h offbreak that did for that Indian bloke a few years back.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I dont know if England are using him right. He is bowling a ton of overs as if he is both the new ball strike bowler and the guy bowling the overs moeen should be bowling. He has bowled the most overs this series for an englishman and only lyon has bowled more.

His figures are 2/50, 0/25, 1/71, 5/43, 4/116

That is mostly good. First innings in adelaide is probably the worst he bowled. I dont think he will be bragging about 4/116 and he was poor on day 3 as were all the English but 4 wickets @ 29 on that pitch isnt awful. I mean look at his teammates

Broad 0/142
Woakes 1/128
Overton 2/110
Ali 1/120

Jimmy's our best bowler at home, and away in conditions that don't suit him, he clogs up an end, keeps the run rate down and maybe takes a wicket or two. It's not his fault that the ECB and the counties seem to be so focused on short form cricket they can't produce other types of bowlers that will work well in other conditions. This series would look a lot different if we had Wood's pace and Finn's height, or at least two or three more bowlers in that sort of mould

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jimmy Home
Jimmy Away

He is a good bowler in conditions that suit him. Just a shame he is also an utter, utter cock.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You linked the same thing each time

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Jimmy Home
Jimmy Away

He is a good bowler in conditions that suit him. Just a shame he is also an utter, utter cock.

I do love this picture of him on his birthday from a few years back

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

It's the look of WTF just happened on Vince that really makes that the best. I dont think I've seen a batsman that shocked since Gatting

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

That’s both brutal and utterly gorgeous at the same time. Vince cannot feel bad about that dismissal, successfully playing that would require divine intervention.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is one of those ones where someone playing it properly is going to be hosed. But a club cricket basher slogging across the line will probably connect and even get enough on it to reach the boundary.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Varkk posted:

It is one of those ones where someone playing it properly is going to be hosed. But a club cricket basher slogging across the line will probably connect and even get enough on it to reach the boundary.

GOTTA.

PLAY.

YOUR.

SHOTS.

MATE.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Swann on TMS said there is no difference in ability between Root and Smith. I think Swann has the terminal dumbs.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

If Root wasn't a shitter he'd be right.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Still raining a bit here in Perth but its largely passed now, if it doesn't rain much from here on they should still start on time

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Byolante posted:

Swann on TMS said there is no difference in ability between Root and Smith. I think Swann has the terminal dumbs.

He is Englands Ian Healy and he really hates Smith for some reason.

Remember when Swann retired and his granny accused an Australian of being mean to poor old Swann ? Everyone just assumed it was Warner but Smith belted Swann all around the WACA during his last test so maybe Smith was being a cheeky lad while batting and Swann has been carrying this vendetta ever since

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Swann hates everything to do with Australia.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Airstream Driver posted:

Swann hates everything to do with Australia.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Rain got through the covers and the groundsmen are trying to dry it out with some kind of drier. Via Warnes instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc0xPlTjA0-/

I reckon just leave it with drying out wetspots like in the sticky wicket era. Should make for some exciting cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Swann is going to be commentating three Big Bash games this summer, looking forward to more brilliant insights from the quitter